Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:25:47 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Guardsman Boards
| |-+  Guardsman Duties
| | |-+  Watchman Duties
| | | |-+  Watchman Duty ~ Building Base
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Watchman Duty ~ Building Base  (Read 4094 times)
Kelly Sanderson
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

By Jove and Sheeshy McGee!

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2009, 07:57:10 pm »

Here goes a task for all those creative kinds...

Knowing how to make your own camp for the night when in urgent need is an invaluable skill to acquire.

~ With t least 1 other guardsman, make a camp or base in the forests surrounding Cove
~ Write a report of your efforts, including a finalised sketch of your structure.

This task may be completed by Watchmen.
This task may only be completed once per character.

Sergeant's comments: If it is a dangerous location in the forest, be sure to post a lookout.

*Signed*
Kelly Sanderson, Sergeant
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:34:45 am by Raiden Morana » Logged

John Dell:
My ultimate aim is to nag someone to the brink of total blindness and hate that they kill me.

John Dell:
It's for me like for you and pies; if one is staring you in the face you just can't leave it alone.
Graum Trolle
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:58:24 pm »

A simple task to go for a camping trip sounded like a perfect way to kill time on a slow day. Having grown up in the woods, and spent my life prior to joining the army as a hunter these were all skills I knew I had, and things I knew I would be able to do, easily. So I simply packed up my kit, making sure I had all of my things with me, especially my saw, axe and knife, the three base tools you cannot possibly do this without. Well, almost.

I trekked north from Cove, looking for a good spot to set up camp. I wanted a spot that would be easy to defend, had good access to water and the raw materials I'd need for my camp. I eventually came upon the perfect spot up on the north shore, nearly on the way to Minoc.

Once I had the spot for my camp sorted I just had to go to work. Axe in hand I went out into the nearby woods and started gathering logs, twigs and branches I could build with. I also came across a bear who apparently was hungry enough to think me a good dinner. Fortunately the bear's skin would come to great use when making a roof for my little hut. I dragged my material back to the spot I had chosen for my camp, and got to work...

Eventually, I had a functional little hut ready that'd keep me warm and dry through the night.

With a place to sleep ready, the next step in my plan was to gather something to eat. With a belly full of food I'd be able to sleep like a baby. So I set out into the woods surrounding my camp, and set a few traps. With the traps set, I hid away and waited.

With my pray turned into a nice piece of meat, I returned to my camp and set up a little campfire. I admit that I did cheat a bit when I packed for my trip, because I brought along a bottle of ale from the Goblin, which would help spice up my dinner.

With a stomach full of ale-braised wolf steak, which sadly had not tasted nearly as good as it had in my mind when I had planned it, I crawled into my little hut and went to sleep for the night. The night went great, and the hut kept me both warm and dry, and I woke up feeling great.

Signed,
Graum Trolle,
Watchman
Gregor Eason
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:48:15 pm »

Building A Base
Dermott Eason, Watchman

Constructing sentry posts has been drilled into me since my days in the Skara Brae Rangers. I knew such a tradition would only be continued in the Covian Army. I grabbed a few essentials from Cove and then head out to the Shire just as the sun had set. The night was eerily quiet as I guided my way through the trees. Once I found a clearing in the heart of the Shire, I set out lanterns and positioned the foundations of the outpost. I fortified the location with hides, and set up a cosy habitat within its walls.

Sitting in my outpost through the night I pondered what might be out here in the Shire with me. Soon I heard some rustling and a horseman I’ve not seen before appeared. He wore a red sash and attempted to intimidate me, but departed when I ordered him to. A scoundrel of some sort, perhaps?

A lonely outpost.

Dermott Eason
Watchman, Covian Army

Garak: "Uh, I was under the impression we didn't allow neon hair?"
Grief: "I was under the impression we didn't allow hair at all!?"
Aleri Briggs
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:16:51 am »

Forte wythin a Forte: INSPEKTION! - 28/06/2011

Argh! Wat a day! Out an aboot on a loveli Patrole and I come akross a tribal camp! In Cove! Outraygeos! Mi quik thinking poynted straite at the Orks...muste be theyre doing!

But the Orks...were NOTT very cooperatife! I had to flee! TAKTICALLY RETREAT!

Suspishish camp...and the Orks had nott a lot to say!

They drove mi bak to theyre Forte where I had to build one of mi own in theyres out of loose tymber from theyre own walls, and thicke hydes from Orks! Ew!

The Forte bearly stood overnite, had to make it out quik!

I camped that Forte overnite, killing any Ork that attemted to enter, and I made way bak to Cove after a bit maor killin! Glade to make it oute alive, and glade to take som of them down tooo!

Aleri Briggs,
Watchmen
Saerandir
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 04:11:02 pm »

Seeing this duty I thought it would be a perfect idea to use so I could keep watch on the house Miss Harper is healing in.  Last night some strange occurrence was happening around the house, which Recruit Gar thought could be Undead and so I felt it best to set up a proper watch in the area.

I started by selecting a few good trees and an area that offered some natural defence and protection against the elements as well as the crates I built. Chopping the wood wasn't too difficult with all the practice I have had with making arrows and building sentries.

A good camp needs a place to sleep and a place to cook food so I found myself a sleeping mat and set it against the wall with the tree as shelter from any rain and then placed my cooking fire on the opposite side away from the tree but close enough that the warmth from the fire would keep me warm as I slept.

The camp was small enough for one but big enough to allow some movement inside it.  The area was fairly free of beasts and other such monsters so I was able to settle in and keep watch without fear of being distracted.

Watchman

Saerandir.
Raven
Highlander
Baron's Own Grenadier
Covian Legend

The Highlander

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 05:39:12 pm »

Present:
Rook, Watchman
Raven, Regular Grenadier

Activity:
I had set out through the woods on a short patrol. On the way aroun' I found some interestin' barrels. I called in assistance from Raven an' we set up camp while I made sense of the barrels.

*Signed, Rook*

⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ Order of Distinction ⚔ Border Wars ⚔ Trinsic Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

[22:37] Hoagie: I think Raven would make a hot girl
[01:57] XxwarbringerxX: Raven would indeed make a hot chick.
Serj Eason
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 09:23:38 pm »

As part of my patrolling rota, I setup a fine sentry post with Junior Guardsman Sheriam Palmer just south of the Graveyard.

http://cove.sugeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=16588.msg103176#msg103176

Serj Eason, Watchman
Covian Army

For my family.

Holder of The Golden Quill and The Ribbon of Activity.

Serj Speaks: A Bard's Journal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length