Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:07:03 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  Scribe's Trove (Moderator: Kelly Sanderson)
| | |-+  Lenar Hoyt
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lenar Hoyt  (Read 2315 times)
qom_riyadh
« on: February 23, 2007, 11:42:47 pm »

[OOC]The below story is to be treated as out-of-character, unless Qom will decide to share it with someone. Posted to introduce you to the person of Lenar Hoyt, who is he, why is he around, and what connects him with Qom Riyadh and his story.
Also this my first attempt to write such story, so I'd be very happy to receive as much feedback as possible, especially from those well-experienced.[/OOC]

*** Chapter 1 - First Contact ***
I woke up.
Took a deep breath, yawning. The fresh, cold wind of winter morning lazily blew through a half-opened window. Long, smooth and almost disappearing clouds hung on the light-steel colored sky. The Sun slowly began its day-to-day stride through the skies. Its rays, painting complicated patterns with shadow on the reddish plaster walls made them look like they were painted with living flames. My clothes were lying scattered around the floor, where I've left them yesterday evening, undressing in a hurry before taking a quick bath and lying tired to bed. Absolutely nothing was happening. I love those silent Covian mornings.

- Hmm... 15 minutes of a nap more won't hurt anyone... - I said to myself and turned to the other side, pulling the sheets to cover the end of my nose.

But there was something uncommon, I couldn't describe it at the moment; the feeling that something isn't okay. I sat on the bed, and quickly looked from wall to wall of my bedroom. The closet was in its place, nothing seemed to be missing. The feeling of sleepiness left me completely, and I've noticed what was the cause of my discomfort.

I was woken up, and I really hate it.
Woken up by the sound of fire, crackling loudly in the fireplace. The thing is, that I was so tired yesterday, that I haven't even managed to put the fire under the prepared wood to keep the house warm. Last time I've seen it, the "Hearth of Home Fire" was as cold as Odenetheus' heart in the middle of an execution of a village full of heretics. Do you also have a specific feeling when someone is nearby? Exactly. And it didn't make me feel any better. My heart started to beat almost as loud as the explosion of one of Sallust's potions.

- What the hell... - This thought appeared in my mind, putting me into alert. I very enjoy having guests, but not when they pay me a visit before the dusk...

I've put a robe on me, silently took an emergency dagger from under the pillow, and as silent as I only could, slid the door dividing my house's upper floor into two rooms. I was really shocked with what I saw next. There was a man, standing in my house, warming his hands by the fire. With my heart in my mouth I've took a small step forward. Then another one, and one more, hoping that the newly laid wooden floor won't start to squeal. It did.

- Chilly, isnt't it? - asked the man, still facing the fire. His voice telling nothing of uncertainity. Seems that it wasn't the first time when he pays a visit like this. His self-confidence made me feel even more anxious. I've tightened the grip on the dagger, hidden behind my back.

- W.. wh... who are you? And what the hell are you doing here?

- You were much more hospitable last time we met, Yggie - said the stranger almost laughing. Yggie? How can he now my second name? Even worse, he used the form that I've always disliked most.

- Tell me right now! Who are you, what are you doing in my house, and how come you know my name? - I was a bit from yelling, with anger rising each second. Hearing that, the man nodded several times. This moment of silence gave me the opportunity to see what he looked like. He was tall, broad in his arms, not looking as one of the "I'm sorry that I'm alive" type. He had long dark hair, neatly tied at the back forming a ponytail. His clothes were clearly Tokuno styled. He worn a dark-red Hakama-Shita, and a black Hakama, which was tied with some sort of wide belt with many small pockets; I've never seen such piece of craftmanship. And the last thing - a katana, mounted on his back, which - I'm sure - glowed with a slight greenish light. After a while he turned to face me. I was hoping that I'd recognize him, but despite my efforts, I didn't. It was weird, but his face hadn't Tokunian features. My guest nodded again. - If it is that small dagger, what you're hiding there, you can put it away. Being honest, you won't have a chance to even think about using it against me, my friend.
I was standing there, without saying a single word. I've unhid the dagger, playing with it in my hands now, standing before him like an embarassed child.
 - I'm not sure if we have been introduced to each other - I began to speak slowly. - Many things happened to me recently, and - all I can say - quite huge part of my past sunk with a ship. But still, you haven't told me a single thing that excuses your presence here.
  - Oh, so you remember the ship... Well, you're a lucky man Qom, damn you.
  - Lucky?!?! I've lost someone very important to me there! - I yelled.
  - Really? What was her name? Kaliope? Katharsis? Got it - Kath'er'eena, right? Quite a cute girl, I must admit. But you must have suffered a huge blow to your head, bastard. Do you have any idea, how many people were on that ship with you?
  I've had no idea. Also haven't found any remains of or other victims. I haven't seen any other people in my memories of that accident. Seeing that I was somewhat confused, he carried on.
  - 47 persons which boarded that cursed ship were never found! You seem to be the only one who left it alive, you damn lucky son of a bitch.
  - I.. I... don't remember! I don't remember anything, not one of them! - I was shocked with the news he brought. - But how do you know all this? And who the hell are you?!?
  - I am most amazed, that you say that you don't remember any of the other passengers. Even more, because most of them were people which stayed in close contacts with your family and you... Tell me, do any of these names sound familiar to you? - He told me a long list of names... Arnolfo di Cambrio, Mike Osho, Ahranwhal Gaspa Rettig, Thomas Akira, Horace Glennon-Height and many, many more. The fact, that I couldn't recall any of them, made me feel sad, and helpless.
  - Father Paul Dure? - he kept asking.
  - Who? Paul Dure? I've found a gift for me on the shore where I was washed away. But that's the only thing I know of him - I've frowned deeply.
  - Paul Dure was a priest of the town where you used to live.
  - Which was? - I asked silently
  - The city of Occlo.
  - Occlo... - I said slowly to myself...
  - Yes, that's where father Dure found you when you were left on the stairs of the church. After a couple of years the Morpurgo family adopted you and from that time they treated you as their son. You are a very lucky man, Qom, almost from the very beginning. And I can tell that you're doing quite nice here...
The dagger which I was holding felt on the ground. Hearing all that news I had to take a sit. Not everyday you hear things which make your life turn upside down...
  - Looks like you have a lot to think about, isn't it? I haven't responded to his question. Honestly speaking I wouldn't say a thing even if he'd say that he'll give me a hundred million gold pieces. In cash.
  I haven't noticed when he left. Although I felt better when he wasn't standing in front of my fireplace with his deadly katana on his back, somewhat I knew that he will return. I was afraid that he will bring more of such news...

To be continued...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length