Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:58:54 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Online Murder!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Online Murder!!!!  (Read 1577 times)
Kiko
Citizen of Cove
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2008, 05:55:15 am »

While we have plenty of murderers, thieves, rapist in the world, this story is what makes headline news!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081023/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_avatar_murder

And this is yet another reason, Kiko is staying single!!!!

(This was the most informative link when the story was first released, for any updates, you'll have to check the web...sorry.)

Graem Carcer
Watchman
Covian Veteran

"Parade, Parade Attention!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:39:17 am »

Far worse has happened, such as people actually murdering players in the real-world for something that happened in a game. It's particularly prominent in Korea where internet cafe's are plentiful.

It might sound stupid that the police got involved for an online murder, but lift off the context and it's simply hacking someone's personals, which is a crime!
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 11:19:23 am »

Hacking and roleplaying do not go hand in hand. Hacking someones account is just evil. But these cases sound like "Hey we are friends, here is my ID and PW. I'm certain you would never do anything with the information I just trust yo uso much and need to show it by giving this very personal info." or
"Hey, run my character awhile if you are bored"

Some common sence can go a long way to protecting your electronic identities.

Cheers.

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Kiko
Citizen of Cove
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 03:40:43 pm »

Yeah the common sence thing was more or less the point. The artical did say somewhere there he gave her the account info... so I'm not understanding the hacking part. And why didn't he change his password? Losing stuff in game sucks, yes, losing characters you worked really hard on sucks, but really? It's a game!

*sips her coffee and tries to actually wake up*

Graem Carcer
Watchman
Covian Veteran

"Parade, Parade Attention!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:43:14 pm »

but really? It's a game!

Game or not someone is still (presumably?) paying real-life money for the experience, and for that to be wiped is apparently an offense. If he gave her the account details then I don't think any prosecution will occur, maybe a minor fine...

In the UK this would be a civil issues dealt with through the courts, or more probably just thrown to the side for the moronic claim that it is; point being is it wouldn't be taking up the police's time, though other countries operate differently, and assuming there is no 'civil court' to deal with these matters and the police are dragged in, I'd conclude that there are more police over there on average than over here to account for there 'civil' cases.

But bottom line is you're right - What a dumb dumb Wink
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 09:26:13 pm »

I'd go insane and kill my boyfriends avatar too....

S'rubbish !

(Wolf Man is such a player though, Cool Chick doesn't even know what the deal is)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length