Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 12:21:37 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Soap Opera Atmosphere - Increased Roleplay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Soap Opera Atmosphere - Increased Roleplay  (Read 3456 times)
Gregor Eason
« on: March 07, 2005, 11:58:47 am »

I just read a post on the CoRE OOC Forum regarding a sort of Soap Opera Atmosphere in roleplay.

Imagine a cross between a soap opera and a sitcom. Characters living their lives and things happening just because they do, people reacting in character ... character based RP, not event based. True, we need some events, but what does your character do in between? What are their interests and values and beliefs? What are they like? Happy, grumpy, bashful, dopey, sleepy (sneezy didn't really seem appropriate but I suppose you can be if you like) ... honest, thieving, thuggish, intellectual, cold, passionate, scornful, wise, selfish ? ? ?

Thousands of possible adjectives ... thousands of possible reactions ... for instance, Vesper invades Trinsic ... do you worry? Do you care? Do you look for ways to help or ways to escape or ways to fight back? Do you join the Vesper side? Do you thieve from them or loot Trinsic shops? Do you just get on with your life and ignore the change of rulers? What would your character do?

I want people to have real characters, be (fairly) real people. Not generic guard #1 or generic thug #2 or generic loyalist #3 or generic rebel #4. Not sets of pre-programmed responses with no independent thought. Not cardboard cutouts but people who feel, who think, who act irrationally or ambiguously or humourously but overall, people who ACT. Not people who stand around watching things and waiting for someone to tell them what to do. If the Duke is making a speech and your character wants to interrupt and disagree, or express support, or emote *spits on ground in disgust* .... do it. I will never ever get annoyed OOC about someone acting in character and doing something like that ... IC is a different matter of course  I was really pleased at the 'trial' of the Freedom Fighters with a lot of people there who were doing just that.

We talk about IC and OOC ... C stands for character ... so get one
Irvyn - Duchy of Trinsic

Summary:
What's he saying here is character based RP, not just events based RP. Think about how YOU live in Cove. Why ye came. What drives ye. What's your general mood... things like that.
Real characters, just like yeself, objecting to various things. In Character, if you're a guardsman and start objecting an order, then ye'll get a damn beasting, but IC!

Your character does not have to be the heir to the throne of Britannia, nor the young discipline of an old wizard. It can, easily and enjoyably, be a real person with real emotions and real beliefs.

Just some food for thought Wink
Eason
Shadwell
Administrator
Covian Legend

Retired Commander of the Covian Army.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 12:55:42 pm »

Aye! Become ill, fall in love or get somekind of phobia. A deep realer character is so much more fun to play!

The Baron's Adjutant.
Hoagie ‎(6:24 PM):
Basically, the core purpose of BoC is to troll Grd
Locke DaOrt
Cuts Elves limbs off (Dell does too!)
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 03:16:36 pm »

Oo...i urge to make some guy who is afraid of everything

Shadwell
Administrator
Covian Legend

Retired Commander of the Covian Army.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 03:32:03 pm »

Well when I was a trainee I used to be the biggest coward arround.

The Baron's Adjutant.
Hoagie ‎(6:24 PM):
Basically, the core purpose of BoC is to troll Grd
Gregor Eason
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 03:49:18 pm »

I'm afraid to say I've always played me... Or just worn a different accent or something. I might try and delve Eason into a little bit of a neat freak - like Monica Gellar. Or someone who easily gets touchy with admin *grin*
Daelin
Covian Legend

Yes my Baron... I serve you well! - Daelin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 05:14:37 pm »

Well... my most complicated character would have to be Ryan.. he's got all kinds of tiny mistakes inside of him (Like being absolutely horrible with maps)

Not planning on telling it all though.. you'll have to find out as you interact with him.  Wink

Daelin.. well he's just a grumpy old man who is always plotting something.

And Muldun is a monk who gets a little too friendly with the ale from time to time.  Cheesy
Cambylobacter
Covian Citizen

Ultimately, Online.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 06:30:39 pm »

character based roleplay is vital too, because it promotes development in your avatar. It isn't ideal that your character remains the same; they should evolve and adapt over time.
The idealistic 16 year old your character starts out at, may radically change when they're 25, and again may have changed when they're 35. Watching your character evolve is a rewarding experience.
A little practiced roleplay concept nowadays, is that of roleplaying when alone. Whether that be how your character feels walking through the wilds, stepping into a dungeon, or wandering through Britain listening to the merchants and citizens; there are multiple ways of development: event based, interaction based, and evolution through solitude are but three.

Dellamona
Queen!
Guest Of Cove

Sawyer/harry potter O_o

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 06:43:42 pm »

Locke i think we already got one (i told him we already got one -sniggers)

Its ryan !!!!

"Birdie sings the sweetest things,
Bump The Elephant isn't quite as elegant
'Cos the sound get's tangled round,
In his trunkety trunk"
Daelin
Covian Legend

Yes my Baron... I serve you well! - Daelin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 11:15:13 pm »

Locke i think we already got one (i told him we already got one -sniggers)

Its ryan !!!!

Bleh! He's not scared of everything ya know! He charged a horde of rotting undead corpses on his own in Yew once.  Wink
Jemmy
Vidge-urr-lanty 'ero O' Cove, Speshul Ajunt Of the Barrun....(And resident village idiot)
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 11:50:25 pm »

Were they ASLEEP rotting undead corpses?

There's a word for those. They're called DEAD rotting corpses *nods*

Jemmy's one of my favourite Ultima characters in terms of his character- not only do I get immense enjoyment from playing him, he's also stat-wise my worst character. He's much more of a "Roleplaying" than a gaming character. Dash is too much like me OOC, and Colm's....just...Colm (You'll be meeting him soon enough, folks!)

I think BoC's probably got the best character development of any guild I've ever been in. Especially with the "Power Hours." Keep it up, guys :-D

Veldrin Ni'Harel: Some days I feel zhat unintelligent individuals should be cut down
Veldrin Ni'harel: To save zhe rest of the world a headache.
Jemmy The Rat: Darn roight 'em shudd!
Jemmy The Rat: Keep the clevvur 'uns loike uss'ns aloive, 'eh Mizz Veldrin?
Veldrin Ni'harel: *groans and rests head on the table*
Locke DaOrt
Cuts Elves limbs off (Dell does too!)
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 12:50:34 pm »

If u look at the kids of Cove u notice they change aload

Orian started off a street thief and all round alittle shit that was dirty smelly and basicly had nobody to look after him

Mela started off as a sweet little girl without a care in the world

Jemmy....will jemmy still the same i supposed

Joe isnt a ugly anymore  Roll Eyes

Gregor Eason
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 02:20:55 pm »

And what have they become now?
John Dell
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 08:25:32 am »

Locke ate them

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

Oct sayeth  (19:47):
We need more Swedes.
Oct sayeth  (19:47):
"I was stabbed."
Oct sayeth (19:47):
"But I will hold this in and carry on."

First Story       --->      Smiley
Second story --->      Undecided
Third Story     --->     Sad
Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 08:06:05 am »

If u look at the kids of Cove u notice they change aload

Orian started off a street thief and all round alittle shit that was dirty smelly and basicly had nobody to look after him

Mela started off as a sweet little girl without a care in the world

Jemmy....will jemmy still the same i supposed

Joe isnt a ugly anymore  Roll Eyes

Lol, well..Its Jemmy's influence and the black caste's

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length