Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:26:45 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  Initiate Danaeyl - Letter of Introduction / Personal Diary Entry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Initiate Danaeyl - Letter of Introduction / Personal Diary Entry  (Read 1284 times)
Danaeyl
Initiate
Cove Command
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2018, 03:49:05 pm »

*A neatly written letter is attached to the public noticeboard*

Dear Covian Residents,

Many of you will have seen my arrival at Cove when Tiberius came across me on the edge of the woods, and others in the past few days as I undertake my initiation as a Templar for the Church. I will not occupy your valuable time with tiresome navel-gazing into the past, beyond to say I have traveled long and strove to live my life in a manner according to the Virtues, whilst passing on the good word and offering aid to those in need. When Tiberius took me to the barracks I saw good hearted, if a little rough around the edges, folk, but I did not see myself amongst them. I readied myself to continue my wanderings, to place myself on the path of fate once again and find the place that I may best devote my energies to the true path. It is in this state that The Preceptor found me, loading my horse for the road ahead. He struck me as a stoic and intimidating man, but one who radiated faith and discipline in a way I have never seen. This surely being the intervention of Avatar, who at last has found me a place in the great mechanisms of our world, I took my initiate oath. At present I study and train; having made my living as a hunter in my past life, albeit one who drew on the Avatar's strength, I have much to learn in the ways of combat. The Church library occupies the remainder of my time, but knowledge alone will not save us from those who would extinguish the remaining light in the world - only a strong sword arm, guided by the Virtues, can do this. It is in this service that I place myself, and in yours. May we prosper and turn Avatar's shining light on those who would resist.

Yours,
Danaeyl

Private Diary Entry 1: A few days have passed since I arrived in Cove and took on my new position, but the training has been such that I have been unable to put pen to paper. While I am grateful for the opportunity to play a more meaningful role, things were much simpler on the road. Faith and the Virtues seemed clearer to me there, for all this study and instructing, with the wild air in my lungs. The Preceptor is a noble man who has kept the flame of Avatar alive when lesser men would have seen it snuffed out, but I find some of his teachings to be contradictory to my previous education and instinct. He calls compassion a false virtue, but I must seek further instruction on this. I agree that those who would renounce the way, or worse, actively seek its repression deserve none, but for our own kin? The people here are not without their faults, as none of us are, but they are mostly kind and duty-led. Surely there is a place for compassion for such folk, and for our own, even if they do at times stray? Perhaps I am too soft hearted, and in time I will learn the meaning of these lessons. Or perhaps The Preceptor has become too jaded through exposure to relentless heresy, as any man would. Time will tell...

Danaeyl
Initiate
Cove Command
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:33:11 pm »

As the winds sweep gently over the forests in the near distance Danaeyl stands atop the balcony as the sun begins to set, casting a slow eye from their thick darkness to Cove and watching as people lock their shops for the day and go about their business. Sighing heavily he returns to a half completed diary entry and continues to write.

On Duty

Though it was not so long ago I lived a simple and relatively carefree life on the road, it seems as if it is a lifetime ago. I find myself wondering if I have made the right decision in staying here. Perhaps I was mistaken when I felt Avatar's hand on my shoulder as Sir Hugo emerged from between the streets as I took my leave. Though I begin to understand his uncompromising attitude, and try to steel my heart for what must be done, do we truly do His work in this place? I hath tried to reach the people here, but only a handful reach back. I feel hopelessness take me over. With the other Templars in the colonies and Hugo away, I know I do not have the strength to protect myself let alone others, and it is not clear that any wish for protection. Perhaps it is time that I return home at last. Despite all I have done, they would take me back, and I so long to collapse in their arms under the strain of my burden. I fear not for my own life, to die and be with You would be a blessing in this world of sin, but that I will fail You and those few who need me here. I once believed that bravery in the face of death was the epitome of Valour, but now I see that true courage lies in carrying on when hope has almost lost all meaning.

I ask thee,Avatar, why hath thee given me this weight to bear? I wish that thee had not, for you hath chosen someone with too much weakness in his heart, even in thy Divine wisdom.

The writing trails off, and begins again further down. A single drop of water stains the middle of the parchment.

In this dark hour I take solace in the tales I find in these Church records. They are filled with tales of heroism in the face of trials greater than mine, too numerous to count. Yet whilst these tales bring me warmth, they also reveal my own inadequacy. Nonetheless, I shall hold a candle against the encroaching darkness as all manner of evil shadows corner me. Should my mortal form be swept away by the relentless march of evil, I pray that thee understand and forgive my shortcomings and welcome me in thy Holy arms. I will not abandon my post, as those who came before me did not. I will strive to emulate their Valour and honour their memory - and continue their legacy. If there is only one soul that can be saved in this dark place, I will not leave them to the Guardian, who hath chosen this place to begin a revival of undeath. Is this why thy hath placed me on this path? All else is secondary to this eternal threat, and I will stand against the tide alone if I must, though I know I shall be carried away by the currents.

Semper fidelis.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length