Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 02:05:42 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  Scribe's Trove (Moderator: Kelly Sanderson)
| | |-+  The Light in The Dark: Chapter 1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Light in The Dark: Chapter 1  (Read 1892 times)
Lucas Drachen
The Covian Cannon
The Light Company
Covian Regular

Probably Dead

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:09:33 pm »

The classroom was filled with eager  faces as The Illusions master ended his lecture and handed the floor over to Master Reinhardt. The Dark clad man walked to the head of the class and looked over all the faces of  students glued to him.

"I take it I am still somewhat of a treat for many of you here. I know Necromancy is a rather controversial art and not many who practice  it are so willing to share their knowledge in such a professional manner. I assure you however that what I will speak to you all of today is the uses of necromancy and steps to be taken to not allow it to corrupt you.." Rilian spoke through the black mask he wore over his face calmly.

As he finished a hand raised in the back of the room.

"Yes, A question?" Rilian spoke as he glanced to the young girl.

"Professor Reinhardt sir....I apologize if this is a bit much to ask of you. But could you tell us of your story, Why Necromancy didn't corrupt you?" The Young girl said sheepishly.

"Ahhh....I would but it would be a lie. Necromancy did corrupt me. But I was able to see the error in my ways." Rilian responded with almost a look of remorse in his pale blue eyes.

"What happened sir...?" One of the male students inquired.

The entire classroom was now focused on Rilian in a state of awe. He knew at this point there was no avoiding this. Deciding that it could only help them he gave in.

"It Was Five years ago...When I, Like you, was just another student eager to learn...."

Five Years Ago....

The classroom was bustling as Professor Jaeden finished her lesson on the nature of necromancy. The students began filing out one by one...all except for one. A young dark haired boy named Rilian approached The Professor cautiously.

"Professor...I was really moved by your lecture...but I had some questions I wanted to ask..." Rilian spoke nervously.

"Hmm? What would you like to know Mr. Reinhardt?" The Professor responded politely.

"In your lecture you spoke of The Morale conflicts of Resurrection....When it was okay to restore life to the dead..and when it was Morally unsound...I was hoping you could elaborate on it a bit for me." Rilian spoke seeming to make eye contact with The Professor.

"I see...Well Mr Reinhardt Resurrection is a very fickle bit of magic. You see a spirit will only linger in The Physical realm for a very short time. This time can range from a few minutes... up to years if The Spirit is persistant enough. However the restoration of a spirit is very difficult. If done within a day of death there are usually no ill effects as their body hasn't begun decaying yet. However anytime after that poses risks and placing a spirit into any body that is decaying will result in the creation of an Undead Being. This  is very dangerous as a decaying mind does not usually create a clear thinking individual..."  The Professor Elaborated.

"But...What if someone were to take an older spirit...and place it within a body...that's not decaying...would it still work?" Rilian asked quickly.

"...That's very advanced stuff Mr Reinhardt...The creation of a living, breathing, Sentient Flesh Golem is considered very taboo. It's against the laws of the land and is morally unjust..." The Professor responded seeming a little upset by the question.

"But... if the golem is technically alive and clear thinking..How could it be bad? It would just be another living creature.. it wouldn't be undead." Rilian spoke seeming a bit more excited than he should have.

"There is no proof that the creation of such a creature has no side effects Rilian. No mortal could ever comprehend what implications such a creature could bring. You are my best student so I will not report your curiosity on this matter. But I do hope that is all it is." The professor adjusted her glasses nervously as she spoke.

"Of course Professor, I apologize if I may have worried you... I was just curious if it was possible... that's all. Thank you for your time." Rilian turned and walked out of the classroom as he finished speaking. A smile grew slowly across his face as he exited...

Three Months Later...

News began spreading around The Lycaeum. The Death of a young girl a few weeks earlier had started a commotion across the school. A female student by the name of Rikha Traveria had died of an illness that plagued her for many years of her life. But this death wasn't what everyone was on about. A group of cultists thought to be remnants of  The Cult of Armageddon were executed the day before....The problem being their bodies vanished from the healers before they could be dealt with. The Sudden disappearance of Five bodies into thin air had the entire island on alert.

In a small shack on The Island of Moonglow...

A darkly cloaked form stands diligently over a table. Sewing together piece by piece sections of flesh.

"Please...wait for me..don't go yet I will fix this... I'll show them it's okay...I won't let you go this soon. I promised we'd be together forever...I won't go back on my word...."

TO BE CONTINUED...

Hoagie: "Lobster battallion, chaaaarge!"
Lucas Drachen
The Covian Cannon
The Light Company
Covian Regular

Probably Dead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »

Moonglow, Five Years Ago

Professor Jaeden walked past one of The Lycaeum's Library's to find Rilian Reihnardt sitting and reading diligently. Walking over with a smile she sat beside the boy.

"Burning the midnight oil I see. The Attendant says you've been here every night for the past week...What are you studying up on?" The Professor asked glancing to the book he was reading. The title of the book frightened her as she caught a glimpse of it.

"Spiritual preservation...Rilian why are you reading about that..? That is a very controversial book...All it does is speak of different methods to keep a spirit tethered to the physical realm.....Dear god Rilian you aren't doing what I think you are...are you?" The Professor asked in a state of shock.

"..I'm not doing anything morally wrong Professor.. I promise you, I was just curious..." Rilian spoke but was interrupted again.

"Rilian don't lie to me...What are you up to? Don't play me like a fool be honest with me. You are my best student and I don't want to see you do anything to hurt yourself.." The Professor snapped.

"...If you really want to know....Then come to the west shore tomorrow at midnight... Please don't bring anyone else Professor..Only you could understand what I was doing..." Rilian spoke as he rose from his seat and slowly left the library.

Later That night..

Rilian walked into a small shack and stood over a figure laying on a table. The figure was covered with a sheet and laid there motionless. Rilian ran a hand over it's cheek softly.

"Tomorrow my love...I keep my promise and we can be together again." Rilian spoke blinking back a tear.

The Next Night

Professor Jaeden did as Rilian asked and arrived shortly at the small shack. As she entered the room the smell of incense and rotting flesh met her nose. She looked around quickly, Within the room was a table with a covered body. Around it there were discarded body parts and strange circles and runes drawn in blood. A sense of fear filled her as a hand clapped on her shoulder. She shrieked in surprise as she spun around to see Rilian standing there in flowing robes.

"I'm sorry Professor, I didn't mean for you to come inside without me... I know it's a rather gruesome sight. But I am glad you are here because you get to see me perform a miracle!" Rilian spoke with a rather creepy smile.

"What... is all this Rilian...What are you about to do here...?" The Professor asked shakily.

"I am going to save her Professor. It wasn't her time, and You yourself told me that bringing life back to those who died before there time was not morally wrong!" Rilian responded rather fanatically.

"Save who...Rilian?" The Professor inquired.

"Rikha! I am going to bring her back! It wasn't her time, you know it wasn't!" Rilian spoke a look of insanity seeming to fill his eyes.

"Rilian that's impossible, She died of an illness...If you resurrect her she would just die of it ag-... Oh No Rilian you didn't...Please tell me you didn't..."  The Professor seemed terrified at the conclusion she had come to.

Before more could be said Rilian tore the sheet from overtop the form on the table. Upon it was a likeness of Rikha. However the body resembled a quilt, Different colors of flesh sewn together and altered to create it.

"I made her as I remembered her...Every inch... We were in Love Professor. I promised her that she wouldn't die...that she would pull through...I have to keep that promise!! She will live Professor and I will save her!  The Illness won't be an issue in this body! It's healthy and strong. Those Cultists were perfect. And Because I am not using the bodies of innocent people... it's not morally wrong!" Rilian ranted quite fanatically.

"Rilian this is insane! You can't do this, I knew you were up to something here. The Lycaeum's Archmages are on their way here. I told them to wait an hour before coming so I could try and reason with you."

Rilian's face turned angry. He glared at The Professor in hate.

"They can't stop me!! Not now! It's already set in Motion! Within the next few minutes Rikha will Live again!! And we can be happy together! Why don't you want us to be happy?!" Rilian shoved Professor Jaeden back into a chair as he shouted.

As The Professor landed in the chair discarded limbs around the room lept to life and moved to bind her to it. The limbs held strong as a dark mist seemed to pour slowly from Rilian's eyes.

"Rilian don't!! If you use your magic this selfishly it will only consume you! Please stop!!" The Professor pleaded to Rilian..but to no avail.

Rilian then began chanting in an ancient tongue overtop the patchwork form on the table. His hair fluttered as an Eerie wind poured into the shack. The Runes and circles in the room began to glow as he spoke. Suddenly humanoid shapes, formed of a white mist began to flow into the room. They circled the body like vultures.

"Get Back!!! Only one Spirit is allowed to enter this body!! It's not yours anymore!! Get Away!!' Rilian shouted at the spirits as they circled the body.

"Rikha!! Return, By My blood return to this world!!!"  Rilian yelled as he used a dagger to cut his palm.

With a loud clap of thunder the white forms circling the room exploded into a whirlwind. The spiralling spirits slowly funneled into the form on the table.  Rilian suddenly screamed in pain clutching his face as the veins in his neck and right cheek became blackened. He collapsed to his knees as the wind died down and the room went silent.

The Professor stared on in utter disbelief as The body on the table slowly began to stir. As it sat up and opened it's eyes it seemed unsure of it's location. Quietly it looked at it's hands and body...a strange look came over it..it looked frightened. Suddenly the golem screamed in terror. Rilian rose quickly and took it's hands in his.

"Rikha it's okay! It's okay!! I did it! I saved you just like I said I would! Now we an be together again!!" Rilian raved fanatically

"Wh...What have you done Rilian!! What have you done to me!! No! I didn't want this!! Not this!! All these voices...These Memories!! No!! What have you done!!" The Golem cried out in pain.

"Rilian! you used the mind of one of those Cultists! Everything they did She remembers now! As if She did them!" The Professor shouted as she  struggled with her undead restraints.

"Shut up!! It'll be okay! She's alive now! We can move pa-" Rilian was unable to finish the sentence as the golem suddenly grabbed him by the throat.

"You fool! We studied the dark arts for ages! Did you really think you could just use our bodies?! Did you really think we couldn't use your magic to OUR Advantage?!" The Golem lashed out and hurled Rilian backwards and through the wall of The Shack.

The golem slowly rose off the table. It glanced to The Professor and laughed. It's laughter shook every fiber of her being as it seemed to contain five different voices.

"By The Avatar...Rikha is in there with those Cultists..I have to do something..." The Professor struggled more but the constraints put on her were much too strong.

"We'll start our revenge with you..We The Cult of Lithos only grow stronger in Death! You will be an example to those who dare to oppose us!" The Golem spoke maniacal

"Lithos.....dear Avatar you're Necromancers.." The Professor spoke in utter fear.

Suddenly a green cloud rocketed through the hole in the shack and slammed into The golem sending it backwards. Rilian stood on the other side panting heavily, Blood pouring down his face.

"Let Rikha go! Let my love Live!!" Rilian shrieked.

The undead restraints holding  The Professor released her as Rilian focused  his magic on The Golem. She rose to her feet and got on guard. The golem slowly rose again laughing eerily as it did. It looked to Rilian with a creepily seductive look.

"Rilian....Please don't hurt me...  I thought you loved me?" The golem spoke in a soft feminine tone.

"Rikha..?" Rilian spoke lowering his guard.

No sooner had Rilian done so the golem thrust it's hand forward and uttered the words "In Sar". Pain shot through Rilian forcing him to collapse to the floor.

"How easily you can be deceived over such a pathetic emotion as Love!" The Golem cackled.

"Uus Corp!!" The Professor invoked angrily. Suddenly The body parts littering the room began clattering together.  The Skin tearing from the bone as they all combined to form a pathwork skeleton.

"You think such a Lesser creature can stop me?!" The Golem scoffed.

"It doesn't have to...it's made from discarded parts of you....So I don't even need to get near you to do this..." The Professor spoke as she gripped the skeleton by the shoulder.

"...Well..didn't expect that.."  The Golem spoke...almost comically.

"Ort Corp Grav!" The Professor called out invoking The spell of Exorcism onto the skeleton.

The golem clenched in pain and shrieked loudly as the spirits contained within it are torn from it's form. With a dull thud it fell to it's knees...though it did not seem dead yet. The Professor walked over cautiously to The Golem.

"Rikha...is that you...?" The Professor asked carefully.

"Y...yes Ma'am...it's me..." The Golem spoke sadly.

"Rikha I am-" The Professor began to speak as she was interrupted by The golem.

"Please...Professor....End this...please I don't want to live like this..." The Golem pleaded.

"....As you wish...I am sorry Rilian Di-" The Professor began only to be interrupted again.

"He only did it because he loved me..Please don't hate him for that....Please..I don't want him to suffer anymore....Can you do one last thing for me...as my last request?" The golem spoke as tears poured from it's eyes.

"Anything Rikha..." The Professor responded sadly.

"I have all their memories...I saw where they are located.. i saw all their plans...You are going to save a lot of people because of Rilian....please forgive him....please.."

The Professor spoke with The Golem of Rikha for the next half hour. She shared the locations of The Lithos Cult members still around and their goals. The information led to the capture of Thirty Cult members and prevented the deaths of hundreds of innocent people. When Rilian awoke he was in a cell. The Professor came to him and told him of what happened, and The sacrifice Rikha made.

Three Years Ago..

Professor Jaeden entered Rilian's cell slowly. Age had begun to show in her and she needed a cane to walk. She sat beside Rilian with a deep sigh and looked at him solemnly.

"You know, Word got out that it was you who created The Golem who saved so many lives..."  The Professor spoke calmly.

"I am not a hero....I nearly got people killed...All for my own selfish desire...I have a nice mark to remember it by too.." Rilian spoke emotionlessly as he ran his hand over the blighted veins on his neck and cheek.

"Well, I am sorry you feel that way. Master Kordring has posted your bail and convinced the council to have you released on community service. It would appear that we have been catching  flack lately for keeping a hero in jail..." Jaeden smiled warmly as she spoke.

"Community service...what kind?" Rilian inquired.

"You're getting my job kid. I am far too old for this now....I need to retire and you are the only one who could possibly understand The Dark Arts on a morale standpoint." Jaeden patted his shoulder softly with a grin.

"But what if I lose myself again...?" Rilian asked shakily.

"You won't Rilian....Rikha made me promise you won't....you're not going to let her promise not happen are you?" Jaeden asked with a smile.

Rilian smiled to himself a moment. He didn't answer the question but his face told Jaeden everything she needed to know. For the next two years Rilian was put under Archmage Kordring to be educated to teach the students at The Lycaeum. He became a favorite amongst the students for his ability to teach on the subject of Necromancy as a peaceful art. He never refused to tell the tale of how he came to understand his place in the world, He never wanted anyone else to make that mistake...

Present Day

Rilian finished and looked at all the faces in the classroom. Some wept and some smiled eagerly. He looked out upon them quietly and clapped his hands suddenly.

"Well, it would appear our time today is up...I apologize for not getting to my Theory of Ecoplasmic dispersion...But it will have to wait till next time." Rilian spoke almost happily.

The Students filed out of The Classroom except for the  young girl who had questioned him at the beginning.

"Is there something else?" Rilian asked the girl curiously.

"Sort of sir.....I was just wondering...Do you miss her..?" The young girl asked.

"No, Because I know she's alright now. Death is only a part of life. Remember this, Revere it and respect it... Never pervert it. Remember this and I promise you'll never falter...Make my promise a reality, I don't give them without believing...."

Hoagie: "Lobster battallion, chaaaarge!"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length