Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 10:08:54 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  HUH??? Wow. Thanksgiving origions...twisted
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HUH??? Wow. Thanksgiving origions...twisted  (Read 1678 times)
Railen Morana
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:52:55 am »

Thanksgiving is a harvest festival. Traditionally, it is a time to give thanks for the harvest and express gratitude in general. It is a holiday celebrated primarily in Canada and the United States. While perhaps religious in origin, Thanksgiving is now primarily identified as a secular holiday.

Thanksgiving began when white "Pilgrim" settlers from Europe came to the US, and had a really lousy harvest as the rocky soil around where they settled did not have the nutrients needed for plants to grow. Many of their crops died, people were starving to death and were ill from the new food and bacteria in this new land...and the local tribes brought in some of  their stores of food and medicine to help the people survive the winter that they were woefully unprepared for. When the crops did come in after a native intrepreter taught them how to grow food by planting dead fish in with the seeds to provide fertilizer for the plants, the pilgrems decided to have a huge Thanksgiving feast.  They hunted wild Turkeys, and when the Tribal leader came with 95 people to aid in food preparations, he sent them out to hunt and they added 5 deer as well as made popcorn and other wild foraged foods. An interesting note: Only four of their married women had survived, and only five teenage girls, three of those being the sole survivors of their families. There were less than 55 survivors.

It was not religious in origin, but survivalist. Perhaps the local priest and medicine person said some prayers over the meal...I guess in that way that could be seen as religious.

Oddly enough, those same settlers attacked the tribes that gave food to them the following year as their crops failed and stole the rest of their stores. So much for sharing and being thankful to the people you just the year before called your friends.

I find it strange that so many people beleive that Native Americans dont still exist, and that people are forgetting the true origions of Thanksgiving. But its that way with history. The winners write whatever they want to in the  books. *Grins*
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:25:46 am by Railen Morana » Logged

Keiran Vale
Mela's Doctor
Guest Of Cove

"They Call me Doctor Love"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:20:50 am »

When Legend becomes Fact, Print the legend. Heh

Jassi Cowin
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

I'm a pepper!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:52:51 am »

All I know, is that on this very day, you eat turkey! And that is enough reason to celebrate it..

Sash Contains:
Ribbon of Activity
Order of Distinction

Mentoring:

Keane Wakefield
The Light Company
Covian Regular

Keane in Green

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:10:23 am »

Oddly enough, those same settlers attacked the tribes that gave food to them the following year as their crops failed and stole the rest of their stores. So much for sharing and being thankful to the people you just the year before called your friends.

Welcome to America. Do what you gotta do to survive, right?

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:55:02 am »

Welcome to America. Do what you gotta do to survive, right?

Welcome to Cove!

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 11:48:16 am »

Americans and their food... They always overdo it;p
Iseabel Caewood
Covian Guardsman
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:51:01 pm »

That is what thanksgiving is for!

Watch the Macy's parade.  Cook loads of food noone could possibly consume in one sitting/go to home of relative.  Eat lots.  Watch American football.  Pass out and have enough food to feed you for the next week in leftovers.  *nodnod*  You do not have to do all of that stuff, as I don't do those all but I think they are pretty standard.

The Thanksgiving Wiki just plain sucks.  I thought the same thing when I read it, religious?  hah!  It was to celebrate a good harvest, its changed days over the years, it didn't occur originally on the day its now celebrated, yada yada. 

Its the start of the holiday season wooo!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length