Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 08:24:20 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  The Great Flood (Scenario Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Great Flood (Scenario Thread)  (Read 2181 times)
Linaeus
Cove Command
Covian Legend

Not the Commander.

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2009, 03:40:50 am »

The Covetowne Gazette - Everyone's Favorite Paper

The Gazette is now accepting donations. All Sketches contained within are completely accurate. The Gazette is not responsible for emotional, physical, or financial harm inflicted by the reading, possession, or, in rare cases, burning of this pamphlet.

Severe Weather Batters Cove

Fast action by the Covian Army prevents disaster, containing the flood waters to the immediate area of the docks.

A series of severe storms past week culminated last night in what, were it not for the quick action of the Covian Army, could have been an utter disaster. It seems that just as the most recent of this week's storm was rolling in, and the waters of the Bay of Cove began to rise, a fast thinking citizen rushed to the Army Barracks and raised the alarm. The Army rushed to the scene, where the waters had already begun to spill over the banks, and hastily constructed a levee.

The water rose gradually, until it'd completely covered the docks and everything up to the levee. Fortunately for the good people of Cove, the raging waters were halted by the stalwart barriers, and receded before morning. Cove has been spared a major disaster this time, but with more storms looming on the horizon, it seems only a matter of time before the levees are tested again.

The mariners of Cove were not so fortunate. Dozens of wrecks and groundings have been reported in the bay and along the coast of Covianshire. It is unknown at the moment how many vessels (and sailors) have been lost at sea as the result of this week's storms, but with winds and seas still high, it is certain that the numbers will continue to rise.

In other news...
List of ships and crew lost at sea, (page 2-3)
Weather predictions for the next 5 days, (page 4)
Severe weather survival guide, (page 5)
The Deluge (short story), (Page 6-10)

- Linaeus C. Blackwind, Editor in Chief, Reporter General, Primary Publisher,
                                      Writer, and Distributor.
                                     The Covetowne Gazette

- Aided by Lucius I. Edwards, Reporter and Crier.

Torrak: As far as I'm concerned, though, EA is just unauthorized modding BoC.
Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:27:44 pm »

Having reported the evening's royal rant by the elf king to the Baron, Raiden walked from the barracks, his shoulders hunched against the driving rain and buffeting winds.

The sea was almost upon the cliffs. A few more days of this foul weather and we'd be in trouble he thought. He made his way through the narrow alleys of the Baronship Household on his way to the tavern, splashing through the water that was ankle deep in some places.

The tavern had closed early and sandbags barred the steps. At least the ale would survive. Muttering he hunched his shoulders once more and headed back to the barracks.

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:27:05 pm »

Wednesday, 3rd Day, June.

A grizzled old Watchman atop Cove's city walls looked out to sea as the skies darkened. He nudged the Recruit on sentry duty with him.

"Was red sky this morn'. Sailor's warnin' they say. Would nay like ter be a sailor this day. Look."

The Watchman pointed out to sea as the weather front closed in.

"S'gonna be another rough day for sure. Look at the storms, the lightning flashing on the horizon and 'em dirty black clouds. Rain, rain and more rain. When well it stop eh laddie?"

The Watchman wrapped his cloak around him, hawked and spat into the bay.

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Jon Trent
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:34:07 pm »

Led by:

JT, Junior Guardsman.

Attended by:

Torrak Keres, Grenadier Sergeant.
Kal ShadowHand, Officer Cadet.
Darath Mithar, Senior Guardsman.
Marcus Tel'var, Junior Grenadier.
Kado Gael, Junior Guardsmam.
Me'an Silen, Watchman.
Jessica, Guardsman Recruit.
Kardeiz D'Venci, Guardsman Recruit.
Talaeth Dulsios, Guardsman Recruit.
Aslin, Guardsman Recruit.

Mischief, Commoner.
Lotte, Traveller.

As I arrived at the barracks to oversee my sentry the place was awash with sea water, a huge wave having crashed over the cliffs, leaving the area around the barracks and market knee deep in some places. I quickly got those gathered to work with the task of stemming the flood and then removing the water that had settled around the barracks.

I sent Jessica to Minoc for shovels and the Grenadiers into the shire to chop wood. I myself brought sandbags from the stores and helped by a traveller called Lotte we began to build a sandbag barrier in front of the barracks whilst another recruit Talaeth started work on building a flood barrier.

We worked long and hard with other guardsmen joining us in our labours as they came on duty. With our flood wall in place we then started bailing out the barracks area. A woman visiting Cove came up with the idea of forming a "bucket chain" to speed the process and it seemed to work as we had the place cleared in no time.

We could now construct our sentry post and keep a watch around the baronship Household. To pass the time us guardsmen duelled whilst the civilians chatted. I still need to down another Junior or better. Kado's axe and the confined space of the sentry worked against me. We manned the sentry for some time with no threats and no repeat of the flooding.

Here's my drawings:

JT, Junior Guardsman.

Hoagie
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Actually a Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:21:39 pm »

Guardsman duty point awarded to Jon Trent.

*Signed*
Hoagie Grayner, Commander
⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ The Covian Seal ⚔ Order of Recruitment ⚔ Minoc Liberation Campaign ⚔ Kaldor Line Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length