Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:44:42 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  MMORPGs that change when player does?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MMORPGs that change when player does?  (Read 2037 times)
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2009, 06:40:06 pm »

Hi all,

Not sure at all how to phrase it correctly; but I'm wondering what different MMORPGs out there actually change depending on what the players do?

If an army decides to completely destroy a city, for example, that would actually be done in the game world and not "roleplayed".

I hope this makes some sort of sense. What I wonder there are any such games and what they are called?

Thanks for any help

Peace out,
Tony

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Olchafa Serpernt
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Mutters*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:08:15 pm »

holy crap its jack sinst!

I don't know alot about other MMOs but games like darkfall have player run cities that are constantly contested by other guilds or groups.  I have never played the game so I'm not sure if the towns are accessible to outsiders from the guild who controlls it but i know they are attacked and recaptured and change due to the new owners design.  Also the pvp system is based on skills like UO rather than levels like....every other mmo.

Age of Conan also has a similar system but i hear the game isn't very good..

Not much info there but its a start!

*Signed Olchafa Serpernt*
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:26:16 pm »

holy crap its jack sinst!

I don't know alot about other MMOs but games like darkfall have player run cities that are constantly contested by other guilds or groups.  I have never played the game so I'm not sure if the towns are accessible to outsiders from the guild who controlls it but i know they are attacked and recaptured and change due to the new owners design.  Also the pvp system is based on skills like UO rather than levels like....every other mmo.

Age of Conan also has a similar system but i hear the game isn't very good..

Not much info there but its a start!

Haha, Olchafa; I should've said hi first.

Thanks - Darkfall sure is in the right direction. I'm thinking that there might not be such a game that has that much interactivity between world and player?

It would of course take a lot of effort from the developers..

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Olchafa Serpernt
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Mutters*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 07:38:35 pm »

I'm sure there will be a few games with destructible environment coming but the problem with that on multilayer games is that it everything in the game world would just be obliterated by the players. There needs to be a good balance of destructible and indestructible content or some sort of server reset that doesn't take over from the rp or maybe an in game mechanic that lets players rebuild. I think the last point  would probably lead to some massive griefer problems say if something took 2 hours to make but only 2 seconds to destroy.

Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:48:27 pm »

Sounds reasonable - of course stone buildings wouldn't be able to catch fire, ala Age of Empires, and would perhaps not take as long to build as it would to destroy.

Though, if it's an RP environment it would have to be constant pvp and perhaps even perma-death. It'd be hard in games similar to wow or whatever, but would work well in as a realistic game as possible. Say your character have to grow up - you wouldn't risk death by trolling if it takes time to be able to do any damage.

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:06:03 pm »

Yep, in Darkfall you can smash somebody's city/house etc. You siege them and try to capture the place or you siege it and destroy the place in the process. Only cities not destroyable are NPC cities, and there's not many of them (2 for each of the 6 races or so).
Olchafa Serpernt
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Mutters*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:10:44 pm »

Is darkfall anygood? Iv wanted to try it since before its releace but they dont have a free trial and I wasnt accepted into the beta. I dont fancy shelling out the cash for a game that could be horrible. *cough* age of conan *cough*

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:17:29 pm »

Darkfall is nothing like AoC, let me just say that. it's major problem is that is was designed so that equipment and skills wouldn't be as influential as player skill. During beta it was great even with all the bugs; PKing from day one. Looted reds, fought goblins and ran like crazy. But then the proper game rolled up, people levelled up their skills and it's since then been pretty hard to join in the fun unless you've got a good clan to support you. And they're constantly changing; islands are owned by alliances of players and invasions are pretty cool. it's a good game and getting better, but there is a grind.

Pros:
No levels.
Free-for-all PvP and no real safe zones (Cities are somewhat safer).
You can loot other players for all their stuff.
Decent siege system
Player housing and cities

Cons:
Grind.
Not as player skill based as many had hoped for.
No skill cap so you can in theory max all skills/stats, which is horrible as people do it.
Kelly Sanderson
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

By Jove and Sheeshy McGee!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 10:14:29 pm »

Heya guys. I'm locking this thread for the following reasons: We don't have a Babble Board, and this thread doesn't have anything to do really with general wellbeing of members or even UO in any way. If it continues, we'll end up with Babble Board likeness. It also doesn't make sense discussing other games when these forums are meant for UO. Sorry for being the one to lock it, but you all know you can discuss this just as easily via other means of communication.

Any answers or debates on Tony's question can be answered via PM to him or ICQ/MSN.

Thanks a lot,

Rach/Kelly

John Dell:
My ultimate aim is to nag someone to the brink of total blindness and hate that they kill me.

John Dell:
It's for me like for you and pies; if one is staring you in the face you just can't leave it alone.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length