Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:28:53 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  UOKR Picture and general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: UOKR Picture and general discussion  (Read 26000 times)
qom_riyadh
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2007, 09:30:56 pm »

Yeah, it's a beta. I hope that they will fix it soon (and many other quirks too)
Perrin
Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2007, 09:07:46 am »

I think they should have just updated the 2d client. IMHO 2d is completely capable of looking just as good, if not better, than any "3d" system. My computer runs this game (diablo 2) like a dream but KR even on the lowest setting lags like hell and is totally unplayable. I do realize that its still in beta... but considering EA's past with UO, how much better can we really expect it to get? I mean don't get me wrong, KR does look great. I just have my doubts about how well the final version will work.

The control system for the 2d client seems totally natural to me, and I've only had my account for 20 months. Everything just feels right! With KR things are... well... clunky right now. Its hard to sort out where options and buttons are etc. etc. Not to mention my screen feels naked without the black band around the play area where I can put my open bags, paperdoll, and all that other wonderful window clutter.

If things don't improve a significant amount, I'm definitely going to stick with the 2d client. God forbid they ever take the 2d client out back and plug it one in the brain-pan, I don't know what I'd do then. I guess it depends on how bad the UO withdrawals are. Perhaps I may actually stoop to using an inferior client...

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:24:21 am by Perrin » Logged

qom_riyadh
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2007, 10:12:32 am »

Aye, both Diablo graphics were (are) great.
Also anyone remembers Fallout series? Pure isometrical 2d - looked totally great.
So aye, it is possible to have a 2d engine looking beautifully.

The tavern on your screen looks awesome.

I completely agree with Perrin's post. The KR interface is far from intuitive - they even disabled some default (and so natural) hotkeys and other shizz which is used in 2D client.

If they'd remove the blur from the graphics, work on the KR client stability and hardware requirements (life shows that it's much of a matter of code optimisation) and other small quirks - then it might be successful.
Right now I don't see any bright future for it.
userjosh5368
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2007, 10:31:03 am »

Ill probally end up staying in 2D as so far KR doesn't look amazing as it first did
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2007, 11:38:50 am »

DEV Team Put out in the press releases that the 2D client will be nixed eventually. I have to say on reflection this new client looks abit like the Icewind Dale games from Wizards of The Coast. But even they, OLDER games by many years even... have a better look. I'm not licking that people are having nothing but negative feed back on the interface. Supposedly there is also to be a "original" set of options for the interface... apparently its not yet in the beta. Must say I'm glad I can;t play right now lol!! The disappointmeant would be excruciating!!

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
qom_riyadh
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2007, 12:05:05 pm »

On the other hand, I think that the release of KR will render apps like EasyUO or UOAssist unusable.
Why?

Because KR is so slow, that in the time which is needed to move from one tile to another, you will be able to open your backpack, five pouches, apply bandadges to you, three of your companions, drink several potions, craft a chair and a halberd. Meanwhile your tea is ready and requested map of your location just finishes loading on UO Stratics atlas.
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2007, 04:47:23 pm »

They needs to stop making "upgrades" based on the foundations of a 10 year old client.

Bite the bullet and make a whole new game.

Stupid company !

Delcarakdur
One-handed and one-eyed Elf
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Mess with Delc and he will wack you with his stump

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2007, 06:42:23 pm »

Beginning to see the only way too eh Kas?!

Join the club!! *grins*

I mean?! Who the hell uses an ten-year old code.

Octie:
This thread has reached the pinnacle of its usefulness. We've established Kas is a hippy. Thread locked.
Perrin
Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2007, 07:28:59 am »

DEV Team Put out in the press releases that the 2D client will be nixed eventually. I have to say on reflection this new client looks abit like the Icewind Dale games from Wizards of The Coast. But even they, OLDER games by many years even... have a better look. I'm not licking that people are having nothing but negative feed back on the interface. Supposedly there is also to be a "original" set of options for the interface... apparently its not yet in the beta. Must say I'm glad I can;t play right now lol!! The disappointmeant would be excruciating!!

Did someone mention the Icewind Dale games!? Those and the Baulder's Gate series are some of my old favorites. Theses pics are from the first Icewind Dale. It was released in 2000.

---

Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2007, 01:12:20 pm »

Ice Winddale is fatastic=D It has a Hrothgar in it >_>

Octiovus
Grandmaster tyrant.
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2007, 04:44:39 pm »

Icewind Dale never did live up to much after I'd played Baldur's Gate 2. That was probably the best game Black Isle produced; except possibly Fallout 2. I miss that studio.

This is all relevant to KR because.. Well, make your own links. Wink

Vince Valentine BoC (01:26) :
Don't mock me! I get 10% discount at tescos!
Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 04:53:29 pm »

The difference between all those games and UO is the diversity and the interaction with a gazillion objects in UO. You can place and build a gazillion things in UO, making it infinitely more complicated then just a background mapping like on the old '2D games'.

That being said I don't think the client is that bad. Other then the fact a 2D/Minor3D world shouldn't be such a hog for power. My only complaint is that the machine required to run it is too high. Perhaps not too high but too high for most laptops, which is what I use.

90% of the other complaints can be categorised as: people are creatures of habit and don't like any change

Arma Renox
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

"What did you say about my hat?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2007, 05:56:12 pm »

Well, I think it's awful. It's 3D all over again; ugly sprites, can't distinguish between mount and rider, can't distinguish armor and clothing on character sprites, messy graphics... eugh, terrible.

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2007, 05:29:44 pm »

I now love Geit with all my heart. Kiss

You tell that turd who's boss !

qom_riyadh
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2007, 05:32:17 pm »

I now love Geit with all my heart. Kiss

The brand new Michael Bolton's hit:
Wheeeeenn aaa maaaaan loooooveeeesss aa maaaann!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length