Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:31:49 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Thoughts about cavallry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thoughts about cavallry  (Read 2398 times)
Becca v.Radunkel
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2005, 11:40:21 am »

Greetings everyone!

As a member of (RL) armored cavallry and therefor successor of the "classic" cavally I am not sure how we can really establish a functionable cavallry to our Militia.
There were 3 kinds of cavallry:

Light cavallry (husars, Ulanen = polish lance riders): their task was to scout the area with close and long range patrols, also to marraud enemy territory. In battles they were used to attack the enemies flanks or even rear to force it to deal with them.
Possible use: Baron´s Husars as part of the Light Company.

Heavy cavally (dragoons): they used the weight and speed of their horses to break enemy lines, usually equiped with heavy cavallry sabres. Those were used in the main focus to decide battles. Problem in UO: the missing physical system makes it impossible to make gap in enemy blocks without a big deal of roleplaying of the defenders.
Possible use: Baron´s Dragoons as a mounted infantry, fighting without dismounting.

Mounted infantry (German Kürassiere): infantry that used it´s horses for travelling. They dismounted before the battle and used their firearms.
Possible use: Baron´s Kürassiere as mounted infantery, dismounting before battles and using bows.

What do you think? Any ideas of realistic ways to implement cavallry to the Baronship? I prefer 2 ways, Husars and Kürassiere.

Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 11:55:53 am »

The problem is game balance I suppose....Maybe you could counter it by limiting their abilities (only lances and spears perhaps) but in the end it just scares me to FORM and be trampled by horses Smiley

I suppose we'll know a lot more soon when some details get released.

One thing's for sure, Eric will never ride a horse! Filthy buggers!

Kiran
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 12:08:55 pm »

Horses, that would just if we implement horses into our rp, other guilds will, and they won't put rules, I won't fight a necro/mage on a horse, thats all I got to say!

Veldrin
An Old Flower
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 12:33:35 pm »

I highly doubt that.

And mounts are, as usual, not allowed in battle. Too much of an advantage. Any time we bend the Rules of Engagement, all guilds involve must first approve it beforehand. Octiovus would not stand for facing a mounted necro-mage. Having lance-fighters and so on on horses would have to be approved by our opposing guilds before they were allowed in battle, and the other guilds would probably not approve.

We won't be using horses in battle.

Though personally, I think UD's mounted necro-mage is a great roleplay aspect. Highly powerful ancient lich on a mounted horse, intimidates quite a bit if it's done right.

[03:19:28] Shadwell (BoC): We should get married.
[03:19:50] Shadwell (BoC): And dont quote me in your sig
                                  -----
[01:17:32] Tiberius Oct: I blamed Americans.
[01:17:58] Tiberius Oct: Then we chuckled and went back to eating crumpets and colonizing developing nations.
Kiran
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 01:35:16 pm »

Again we had to remove the "Ancient one" In ud, except when engaging only with GRD, since then they allowed 3 horses, and we get our captains horses (Reaper ones) makes it a hell of alot of fun, maybe involving horses somehow in big wars and such is fun, but not for random attacks,

So if we have big war with Vesper, we can have 2 horsemen (Fencers hopefully for lance or spear) and likewise with them

Darwin
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 03:27:33 pm »

Did I miss something? What's with the sudden Horse intrest?
Drachir
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Cutlass-wielding pirate-scout!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 04:47:38 pm »

Horses battle is great on UO...

Veldrin
An Old Flower
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 11:43:41 am »

Baron Octiovus announced that he would be reestablishing the Dragoons - whose two leading officers would parade around on horses.

But don't jump to any conclusions. We're not going to be dealing with necro-mages on horses, whether they're from our guild or someone elses - it isn't happening.

[03:19:28] Shadwell (BoC): We should get married.
[03:19:50] Shadwell (BoC): And dont quote me in your sig
                                  -----
[01:17:32] Tiberius Oct: I blamed Americans.
[01:17:58] Tiberius Oct: Then we chuckled and went back to eating crumpets and colonizing developing nations.
Kiran
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 04:13:19 pm »

Been dealing with necro/mages on horses for ages when in Highwaymen, but then it was fun because there was only 1 person who did it, and he only attented in big wars, no casual attacking spree.

But if we do the same in BoC can have 2 very high ranks who can ride horses in the big fights, which are pre arranged? The fights that is.

Octiovus
Grandmaster tyrant.
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 05:18:34 pm »

This thread has gone off it's original purpose.

All ideas should be submitted to BoC command via ICQ or PM.

Vince Valentine BoC (01:26) :
Don't mock me! I get 10% discount at tescos!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length