Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 11:35:50 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  [Event report] Expedition to Despise
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [Event report] Expedition to Despise  (Read 1406 times)
Zoie Hayden
Dragoon
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:48:24 pm »

26th of May, Evening

Led by:
-Zoie Hayden

Attended by:
-Hoagie, Dragoon Sergeant
-Thomas Sandrich, Regular Dragoon
-Jack Sinist, Regular Guardsman
-Kerri, Guardsman Recruit
-James Covium, Guardsman Recruit
-Sadi, Guardsman Recruit
-Ronas Xerad, Guardsman Recruit
-Jakob D'Stoke, Guardsman Recruit
-Talos, Guardsman Recruit

Following my uneasyness the last time I'd stepped foot into Despise, I called for a larger exploratory expedition into the dank cave-like dungeon. I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was happening in there somewhere and I couldn't rest until I found out exactly what.
So I called together everyone who was around and ended up with mostly recruits, but two Dragoons and Regular Jack attending guaranteed success! So after some waiting for everyone to get ready, we set out to Despise!

We entered the dungeon with torches blazing and encountered little resistance save for scattered pockets of Ettins and Earth Elementals. As we made our way through, I tried to remember the area that had piqued my interest from before; a narrow crossroads that was teeming with enemies intent on driving us out. After a time, I found the spot. And just as before, we were immediately attacked on all sides by a great number of ferocious Ettins. This breed of Ettin are much more aggressive and seem more intelligent than any others I have dealt with before.

Anyway, we managed to shut down their attack by slaying a great many of them which gave me time to look over the surroundings. What I'd missed before the last time we were in there was a narrow passage leading West into another large cave. We all shimmied through the passage single file and instantly upon coming into the cave, our torches revealed a very old, yet still sound staircase heading down. I knew it! A hidden staircase leading into the greater depths of the dungeon!

My heart raced as I ordered everyone down the stairs. We came into another large network of caverns, and I decided to head North. We encountered almost no resistance to our presence there and it was clear the monsters, or whoever was controlling them, never thought anyone would venture this deep. We must have walked for miles around twisting caverns and numerous forks. But eventually we started encountering monsters again; this time trolls and ogres! After a short time, we entered a huge cavern with a natural lake. We didn't think anything of the feature until we stumbled across a man-made wooden bridge! I couldn't believe it! A bridge this deep inside Despise? Clearly there were more than just braindead Ettins and trolls down here.

We crossed the mysterious bridge carefully and found ourselves on a small island in the center of the lake. At first, we didn't find much on the island except a strange man on a horse riding around in circles. But before we could all get across the bridge, we were suddenly attack by great hulking ogres! They must be the chieftains or lords of the ogres as they were quite difficult to bring down. Even so, Regular Jack used the fight as a show of Covian power to the stranger and tried to recruit him!

After the ogres were defeated, I ordered a general search of the strange island to look for any clues. For a little while, we didn't find a thing, and as my heart sank, I heard Recruit James shouting that he'd found something! I ran to him and he pointed out a rolled up document sticking out between two rocks. I pulled it out and began to unroll it when we were again attacked my large ogres. I quickly stashed the document in my main belt pouch and joined the fight.

We started to become overwhelmed and as I was anxious to study the document, I ordered a withdrawl back across the bridge. Once we'd made it across and found a peaceful corner, I asked the troops if they'd prefer to go home, or carry on cleaning out this level of the dungeon. The decision was almost unanimous in favour of a cold pint of ale and time to relax. Hoping that we had the clue we came for, I asked Regular Jack to open a moongate back to the Baronship before the monsters had a chance to assemble and ambush us. So he did, and we all made it back alive and well.

We managed to make it out of there with a decent stack of gold which I divided evenly. Everyone present received 1,000 gold pieces for their service and a job well done. After I dismissed the troops, I went upstairs to study the document.

I have left the document on the first table on the top floor of the barracks for anyone who wishes to see it; and for Command to judge the next course of action based on it. After viewing it myself, I dare say that Sosaria, and the Baronship have a new enemy in the making...

*Signed*
Zoie Hayden
Watchman

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length