Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:54:33 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Element boards
| |-+  Citizen Board
| | |-+  Citizen Task Board
| | | |-+  Completed Citizen Tasks (Moderator: Raiden Morana)
| | | | |-+  Haunted spinning wheel..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Haunted spinning wheel..  (Read 2514 times)
Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:43:50 pm »

The recruit glanced into the armoury his eyes wide as he stared at the spinning wheel. It had been spinning for weeks maybe even months, without rest and it was beginning to scare people. Some said it was haunted, some said cursed by a wytch though for now, no one really knew...

Why, hello there!

Take a peek in the armoury and you'll see that, that spinning wheel does NOT stop. People have their theories as to why it spins, personally I think its haunted - HOWEVER! There is only one way to find out..

Task:
Investigate the spinning wheel and come up with a creative theory as to why its spinning.

Notes:
A report must be written with at least one picture as proof.
This task may be done more than once by yourself and other people.

Restrictions:
  • Report must be done.

Scout Corporal,
Mela.E.Arkay
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 01:24:51 pm by Mela Arkay » Logged

Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 05:00:50 pm »

Moved.

qom_riyadh
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 06:32:51 am »

[OOC]I'm on it, report pending[/OOC]
qom_riyadh
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

[OOC]Damn, it took about ~4 months to complete it, many things kept me away from it in the meantime. But finally, here it goes...[/OOC]

*clears throat*
Ladies And Gentlemen!! I would like to thank you for this great award and say....
...dammit, not this
*browses through his reports*
Mary had a little lamb. And then, a nasty, horny Yewian came, and...
*searches through tons of papers scattered on his office desk*
Dearly Beloved!! We've gathered here tod....
...damn, where is it...?
*throws contents of a drawer on the desk browsing them somewhat confused*
Ahh! Here!!

Qom Riyadh's Report on "The Haunted Spinning Wheel"

First of all I'm most surprised that nobody until this day tried to gather knowledge needed to understand this most weird situation. A spinning wheel. Ordinary tailor's spinning wheel, one will say. A bit worn actually. But only the inhabitants of Cove know (although for some reason unknown to me they remain completely silent about it) that there's something very uncommon with it - it keeps spinning.
"So what? It's supposed to spin, you reeky swag-bellied lewdster." - said Gorge, the butcher. "A joke of some sort!" - one will say. "A magical trick, fer sureh..." - will admit other. But the thing is, that - after my long observations - it keeps turning for hours, days, weeks, without a single touch of a man.
Magic? Witchcraft? No, for sure. The Barracks, just like the whole region of the Baronship, are safe against any witchcraft and any other form of powers set to disturb people. So what makes the spinning wheel spin for months? If it is haunted, by whom then? Meh, Qom Riyadh made a travel to find that out.
First, meh took some sketches and notes with summary of meh observations. I knew that I will surely need this as a base of any discussion or research.

Taking some last notes

~ First stop - Vesper ~
   Meh thought that I might find some interesting clues in the Vesperian Museum. So meh went there, glanced at some interesting things, but didn't find a word about spinning wheels or tailoring at all. Being unsuccessful there, I headed meh next point of interest - Britain!

Unhappy with the Vesperian exposition

~ Second stop - The City Of Britain ~
   There are lots of places, where ye can find various informations covering almost everything. It would be best to read some books, meh thought so I went to the Library to browse some books in this fine place. I was overwhelmed with the count of positions, which have seen many famous facts of our Sosaria, and even more written on their pages. I've decided to begin my search through the pages of "Encyclopaedia Sosarica".

The notes on spinning wheel were just as I expected...

As I didn't received any new knowledge, I was a bit confused. There was only written some about some girl which hurt her finger while spinning thread and fallen asleep for a long time, but I think it's nothing more than a silly legend. Without not much hope I decided to see Britain's tailors - maybe they will know some legends or something.

Meh visiting the Britain's tailors guild

Meh didn't have much time to make more sketches, but written down our conversation:

- How may I be of any help? - replied Bette, the guildmistress
   - Meh would like you to have a look on this - meh said showing meh notes
   - A typical spinning wheel... Like the one that we have here, misteh
   - Well, not quite. It keeps spinning for many months without help of anyone. Please have look at my notes on this.
The lady read my notes carefully, and fighting the wave of laughter she said:
   - It is a joke, roit??
   - Me afraid not, ma'am! We think it might be haunted.
Hearing these words the lady smiled wide for a while and exploded with a giant laughter.
   - H...hhaunted?? Gwahahaha!!! I can't b'lieve that? Ye heard that, Inez? Haunted spinning wheel! Maybe haunted by the ghosts of a slain sheep!!! Gwahahaha!!!
She stood there for a minute, holding her stomach and laughing out loud. She calmed down after few moments - Sorry misteh, but meh gotta return to meh job. You're incredible! Never heard anything stupid like that. Ta beh honest I'll be afraid working with spun wool - maybe we have some bolts which are demons in fact? Hahahah!!

Bette walked away laughing again. I wasn't very happy to hear all that and wanted to return home from this pointless journey. I opened the door, walked away few steps, but heard a voice calling meh.
   - Eeey, misteh Qom! Qom Riyadh!
Meh turned my eyes back, and saw who was calling me: Inez, the weaver, which was listening to meh conversation with Bette all the time.
   - You want to have some laugh also, madam?
   - Naah, no worries...  -she smiled slightly. - Maybe it's silly but I've heard something about some weird spinning wheel. 'Twas long ago, some old man told me thiat story somewhere. Let me think, where was that...
Inez stood there for a while, trying to resemble the location where she heard the story.
   - Ahh! I know! Although I can't tell where meh heard that, but the man was talking something about a legend or a story of a spinning wheel which he heard in Moonglow. Moonglow, yes, for sure. Maybe you'll find some more informations there...

Meh thanked Inez for this tip, and walked away, heading docks - got to find a boat heading Moonglow, Verity Island...

~ Third stop - Moonglow ~
   My trip was a great opportunity to see some new places - never been to Moonglow... It's a very uncommon city, in which ye almost can feel the magical powers floating in air, like waves of warm and cold water move under the surface of the seas. At first, I was a bit confused where to head now. Asked few by-passers about where could I hear some legends in here, and they pointed me to one place - The Counselors Guildhall, to listen to the wisdom of the elders.

Finally, someone told me something to
get me closer to solving the riddle

Luckily for me, altohugh I arrived there early morning, someone was already there - Raquel, the Noble. Meh asked her about all this matter, shown her some notes. She listened to meh carefully, with patience and calm. When meh ended my talkin, she kept silent fer a while, and told me:

- Why ye claim that it's haunted? I don't see if you have found any reasonable proof of its hauntedness. It only keeps spinning. So, if you don't understand something and it cannot be explained or examined to the smallest bits, it has to be haunted, right? Ehh, most people think the same way, meh friend.
She stopped talking and watched through the window.
   - To be honest I've heard quite a lot about some things that keep some kind of motion non-stop. - she continued to speak - I've heard of flags which move even when the wind doesn't blow, also even wind chimes acting just the same. This time it's a tailors spinning wheel. Because I see that you made an effort to reach this place, I want to show you something, but I won't answer you why this wheel keeps spinning, because i simply don't know either. But it would need some more effort of you and some more of your time. - said Raquel. - And some faith, also - she added with a slight, almost unnoticeable smile.
   - What should i do? - I asked quickly
   - Head to Yew. I know that you don't like Yewians so much, but don't worry - the thing you're going to look for is not in Yew itself. North of Yew, there is a small island, on which the prison is built. You must reach the farthest point of the corridor, the cells. Then, pay a close attention to walls - there is a hidden passasge there.
   - Hidden passage? It's a myth, noone ever managed to escape the prison!
   - You're not right, I'm afraid. But tell me - you came here to inform me what you know, or you came here to ask me because you DON'T know? - She wasn't smiling this time.
   - Sorry, ma'am... Please, tell me where to go next, if I'll find the passage?
   - Before that, I must tell you about a particular man, a friend of mine. His name is Rithmet Corber. He is a writer. He had a one specific feature: he believed that all things have their second, deeper meaning. Something like a second bottom of a crate. Although it was accepted here, in Moonglow, but when he moved to Trinsic and then to Britain, people laughed at him because of the way that he observed the surroundings. Time was passing, and he kept thinking - as he told me - that he can't stand company of people, especially people which didn't understood him. Then, he decided to became a solitaire, in some distant, hard to reach place. He have chosen the Lighthouse which is built upon the cliff of the northernmost tip of The Forgotten Lands Desert. That's your destination. In one of his last letters, he wrote me about some book, or a poem he was working on, and it was about a spinning wheel. Yes, it sounds weird, but if you knew Rithmet, you'll treat it as something ordinary.
   - It's very interesting, but the Lost Lands are so dangerous! There are monsters which can slain the mightiest of warriors!
   - If you will stay close to the lighthouse, I believe you'll be safe. But don't even think of wandering the desert alone. In his last letter, Rithmet wrote me that he is planning to take a journey there in seek of inspiration. Since then, I haven't received a single word from him. I'm afraid he is dead...
Raquel frowned with a sad grimace on her face. Her eyes were shiny, like she was to start crying.
   - How to get there, then? - I've asked impatiently
   - Once you'll find the secret passage, find a building, which seems that it has no doors. But it will be easy to find the entrance for you. If you succeed with finding the book, you will now exactly as much as I do on the spinning wheel... Please, leave me now. These memories are uneasy for me...

I left her quickly, and headed the Moonglow's Moongate, to reach Yew. I knew, that's forbidden, but I was so near to solving this mystery... Also I felt, that I'll be more secure far north of Yew, than in Yew itself, so I hopped into the Moongate. Gaah, I hate this way of moving, hate it so much...

~ Fourth stop - The Yew Prison ~
   Running around unnoticed in Yew was easier than meh thought, maybe because Yewians are a very busy people (poor sheeps...). Also slipping by the guards in the prison was a snatch. The problem occured, when I've finally reached the prison on the island. I absolutely didn't have a clue where to look for a passage or doors of some kind. Then, accidentally, I've noticed that the dirt on the floor of one of the cells is moved in some regular way, too regular... I watched the wall for a while, and noticed that one piece of wall looks slightly more worn than the surrounding ones. So, tried to simply push it... and it opened!

Never thought it is so simple

But all that I achieved, was getting into another corridor, with even more sturdy walls. But again something wasn't quite right... I've felt a clear sea breeze in meh nose, but was supposed to beh closed within prison walls... So meh took me torch, lit it and observed the flame while walking close to the walls. Suddenly, a clear breath of air almost blew the fire! Meh found a scar on the wall, helped mehself with me axe and pushed hard... until it opens wide!

Even though me's not a prisoner, 'twas great to leave the prison walls

So, I was only to find a building. It was easy in fact, since land there is rather flat and the prison is the only building there. As Raquel mentioned before I left her, the hidden door were on the very corner of the wall.

Lucky I am, oh lucky...

Inside, I've found tons of crates, covered with thick layer of dust, and tiny corpses of flies, remainings of spiders' breakfast. In the middle of the room, there was an altair. I haven't got a clue what to do next, as Raquel didn't mention anything about sacrifices or anything like that. Slowly, I've approached the altair, but - unfortunately - I've stumbled upon a crate which I didn't noticed, and fell on the altair.

Instead of hitting the stone, I've landed on moist, soft mud. Shocked, I've noticed that I'm in total darkness...

Heey!! Who turned off the light?!

Being as silent as I could, I've heard my heart thumping, but also I've heard another sound... Sound of sea waves! Moving on my knees and hands, slowly (and praying wishing being alone in the darkness) I've reached something which I described as a ladder. Looked up, I've noticed slight rays of light between planks of the wooden hatch. After climbing the ladder, I've entered a small room. The sound of tidal waves and hauling wind were so loud. Wind blew through the room, making lots of mess. Room looked deserted from long time. There was another ladder, going up, so I decided to use it hoping I'll find another hatch to close the room. Although I've found none, I saw something incredible - I was standing under the biggest lighthouse that I've ever seen (the biggest that I remember I've seen would be more precise). After gazing at the building, I looked around my closest surroundings. After approaching the edge of the building, I saw something that frozen blood in my veins - a giant Wyvern, that luckily for me, was looking at the opposite direction. Slowly, I've returned back to the room. Find that damn book and go home... - I've said to myself and began rummaging between the piles of belongings of - I suppose - Rithmet Corber.

Someone could do some cleaning-up here...

After couple of minutes, I've noticed a small package lying on the shelf - something was wrapped in a piece of paper. Carefully took the package, and sat by the desk with it. Slowly I've unfolded the layers of paper, and discovered a book. Using a soft rag, I've removed the dust from the first page. The title was: "The Spinning Wheel of Life".

Still not close enough to find the truth...

Alas, influence of time made the letters fade-out, the paper was thin and ripped easily, so I've decided that it'd be best to find someone who knows better how to deal with a book like this. One name came to my memory - Evinyatar, Covian Scribe. I've placed the book in my backpack, opened my runebook. "Kal Ort Por Cove" could be heard, and in the very next moment I've found myself in front of my beloved home. I was so happy to be here again.

I've met Evinyatar just by the Town Hall. Quickly I described that I'll need some of his fine services, but we were disturbed by some hostile man, which tried to steal the book from me. Evinyatar cast a spell, which made me feel like somehow disabled, or removed from the present, thus making the aggressor unable to steal the book from me. Luckily for us, guardsman Kurt came and with help of some other fine men chased the thief away. We had enough time to run to the barracks. We sat in the barracks' library, and mister Evinyatar began - as I was going to see - his incredible, even mystic work. First, with extreme care he opened the book, to not rip any pages. He poured couple of drops on each page, chanted several weird words, and suddenly - the missing letters slowly began to become visible! Unfortunately, we were still unable to read this book. After some more efforts, our fine scribe decided to use some of knowledge he acquired in Tokuno, from one of monks. It was called "a mental imprint" of the pages. I agreed, and then mister Evinyatar began to chant. In the very next moment, things happened which I've never seen in my entire life:

Finally, the words came to our view, easily readable as if just written! I gave some gold to Evinyatar to thank for his efforts, and went home.* But then the hard part came. As I began to read the book, it was clearly understandable that it says things that I cannot fully understand. Author mentions some weird, unknown place, which may be relating to some distant lands, or were just an effect of his wicked mind, perhaps. Below, you can find the complete poem, rewritten:

"The Spinning Wheel of Life, by Rithmet Corber
O, spinning wheel of life, your aid I now implore ~
As I yearn to learn and explore your yarns of lore.
She who weaves and bequeaths her tapestries fair ~
Betwixt and between scenes we are destined to share.

Paradigm of design ere fine, woven throughout time ~
Shrouds me now, as I sink into sands of hourglass cast
Destined to, on occasion, transcend into portals of past ~
To save woeful worlds from their latent doom and demise.

Ye unmasks mine memories of such faraway phantasms ~
Entombed deep ‘midst mind’s chasms, yet awaken to life
Whence thee releases yellowed yarn, while it unravels ~
For me to time travel, witnessing a world’s future strife.

Ah, mine galleon of galaxies in which I hast once lived  ~
Beyond a labyrinth of sister suns and mystical moons rare
Reveal vast visions of a pathway leading to somewhere ~
I traverse this thoroughfare, for love to man I MUST give.

Only thee knows that mine days manifested in dreams ago ~
Reveal mine litany of lives labyrinth that I humbly know.
To which I bid adieu, in search of one splendorous and new ~
Abandoning bygone burdens mine soul once verily towed.

Alas, 'tis time I shalt firmly grasp mine hallowed hourglass ~
To witness thine golden grains of mine life predictably pass.
For all that is and was of mine previous lives venerably vast ~
Are merely haunted hours cast inside this gilded ghost of glass.

I hast endured distance deluge ‘midst time’s tumultuous spill ~
Here a life, there a life, as I cometh and go through your will.
O, for me time does not stand still; I am a humble mercenary ~
To ensure mankind is bless’d with peace, instead of his mortuary.

As your world watchman, I witness rise and fall of moon tides ~
And your undulating, wandering waves which pave and persuade
Mankind to realize that like you he, too, can become everlasting ~
Instead of  witnessing his own dismal passing, if he respects ALL life.

Yea, your coddling cosmic chambers become hallowed home to me ~
As another life I  hast lived in time, I now leave peacefully behind.
To, once more, become enmeshed into your tapestries of history ~
Like Atlantis in his cradle of ocean, I seek your throne of devotion.

Someday, we two pray that all lives will enmesh into divine one ~
Before approach of reddest sun, the TRUE war will soon be won.
And with such fervency and zeal, ye will continue, spinning wheel
To weave your yarn of hope into hourglass, erstwhile time is cast.

Yet I always return to thee, mine Mother spinning wheel of life ~
Once peace is finally attained, and all proclaim they are at rest.
O, I realize and surmise that someday I shalt complete this quest ~
Whence mankind is finally blessed with peace and a new lease!

I envision beautiful fission of Earth in harmony with universe ~
Whence I return to your loving arms, and gaze into your yarns.
Tho this be future vision, I knowest in your matriarchal wisdom ~
Thee wishes me to see this as a futuristic hope in man’s history.

Ah, for it is through the woven, wondrous wheel of thine alchemy ~
Ye shalt pave a brave new, peaceful world in mankind's history.
For whence thine commits this deed to aid mankind in soulful need ~
All beings on thine beautiful Earth will be saved from woeful curse.

Ah, yet another lifetime I hast cast behind in catacombs of time ~
Soon to be reborn to explore life in our cosmos through mine pen.
I feel no remorse, of course, for you be mine home not far behind ~
And whence my mission true is through, I shalt return to thee again ...

~ Resume ~
   Well, as Raquel said, the book didn't gave meh answer to all my questions. But there are some things on meh mind, which I'll like to share with ya.
   First of all, meh feels much better. Why? Because there is not a single proof to say that it's haunted. The book taught me an important thing: life is a force so powerful, that we just don't understand that. During meh journey I had many opportunities to think about; also while returning home I was thinking heavily. Meh people, have a look around yourself - almost everything, everyone is moved by this basic force. Slowly growing grass, wild gooses flapping their wings, humans, creatures, whole flora - everything is empowered by this single, great force. If it's so powerful, and as we can see - so hard to fully understand, why can't we say, that "our" mystical spinning wheel is also moved by some form, by some derivative of this force? Maybe it sounds silly, but it's not haunted. In meh opinion it is just moved by the eternal, everlasting power of LIFE.

I was surprised again, when noticed that the spinning wheel is missing. Maybe someone decided to attempt fixing it?

Or it's somewhere else right now, making someone else thinking about why it spins, and spins, and spins,  and spins, and spins, and spins...

[OOC:Editor's notes]Okay okay, I know. My grammar sucks. Story might be lame, cause it's my first attempt to create such a plot. Therefore all comments are welcome - please focus on what might I improve instead of sending me 300 PM's containing "You suck...". TIA.[/OOC]
Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:42:40 pm »

Excellent research Qom! 95 shillings! I'd award more but I can already feel the glares from behind.

Scout Sergeant,
Mela.E.Arkay.

(Very good!! I enjoyed it, its long and you really put thought into it.)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length