Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:51:40 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  Scribe's Trove (Moderator: Kelly Sanderson)
| | |-+  Like Sands Through The Hourglass
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Like Sands Through The Hourglass  (Read 7067 times)
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:11:55 am »

Forward:
   Ah yes my fellow Covians. This story is fictitious, your names have been cheaply ripped off, your characters WILL be miss portrayed, the time frame is not current!! This is NOT a history, if you don't like it, tough read and laugh foo!! BTW: all ripped off names will be replaced once permissions are attained. Thank you all and enjoy the instalments as they come.

So are the Days of Cove.

It was a bright morning, the birds where chirpping, a gorgeous woman by his side, yes a great day.

Eh.. what!?! Damn those annoying birds, blast the sun shinning right in my face, and why is she STILL here?!? The Baron Octiovus Gon Get Richer asked himself. He yelled towards his chamber door. "Daelin!! Daelin!! Get in here!! In here now I say!!"

Needless to say nobody entered, so he called the name a number of times until the attendant at the door poked her head in. The attendant was used to being referred to by that name this early in the Barons day. The attendant shook her head but she asked him politely and softly, "My Baron Sir, what may be the task Sir?"

The Baron pointed to the naked woman at his side a miss who stirred but a little promptly landing  a hand on his masculine pride. "Get her out. Get her dressed, and get her out. Out the back or off the roof for all I care but get her out." The Baron gesticulated towards what he thought was the direction of Vesper, the place he'd met the lithe young lady. In fact he'd indicated the Covian bay outside his window. Needless to say within 10 minutes of his command a fully dressed, protesting young lady was hurled into the bay and forced to swim to shore herself. Ahhh the loyalty!!

The Baron was in his office about two hours later reading the reports from his captains and commanders, really just his commander's. The captains reports invariably where either thrown out or became those of the Commander. Since the employment of a one Mela Arkay as his Commander the reports had been superb, never had Cove known so much.... or had so much to fear!! He scanned his reports and did not like what they foretold. The man that had sat opposite him just the other night, that was just before he picked up the little pretty, was infact plotting against him. Mayor Elgrin Yoreth Vespai was plotting against the Baronship!! The petulant knave, of all the nerve!?!? With what army!?!? Vesper could never do it alone, she didn't have those numbers! The next report, an addendum to the first disturbed him deeply. Vesper and Yew were talking, and talking war. Sadly they weren't planning on whipping each other out or even shouting insults. They had their eyes on cove. Yew wanted Cove destroyed, and Vesper wanted the land, how simple, how quaint, what a bother!

"Messenger!" The Baron yelled, "Send word to my Vassals, I The Most Noble Baron Octiovus Gon Get Richer will have audience with them within a tenday." His messenger quickly took his notes and started writting the formal messages

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next Instalment Comming Soon

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
qom_riyadh
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:41:58 am »

Baron Octiovus Gon Get Richer
I love it! *renames Octi on his ICQ contact list*

Begins nice so far!
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:11:52 am »

Qom Yggdrasill Riyadh, son of Morpurgo Riyadh sat in his workshop. Yes a Lord in his own right and he still toiled himself. Hed amassed a total of a hundred workers who cut, moved, and crafted his wares for market. He has two-hundred of his own personal soldiers, they were rummored to be better than Dragoons.
His home was a four story Villa, the same size as the Baron's own save that out of respect  the fourth floor was really only one small workshop and not a full floor. It hadn't take Qom long to rise from nothing, he had a strong business sence and was a hard worker. Five years and he'd gone from commoner to Governor to Noble. A high-rise life, burdened with responsibilities.

He was now the forward most line of defense for Cove. Any attacks not by sea would walk straight through his estate. He would have to hold or see his home and his beloved workers and guardsmen's homes and shoppes burnt to cinders behind him. Today though was a bright so he felt even as he stitched a gruesome cut in his right hand. He was sometimes referred to in private circles as "Baron rough hands" He was the only Noble of the land who had such beat up hands. At dinners he was asked to wear gloves because the very sight repulsed some, black smashed fingers and fresh gashes with fishing line for thread just looked bad. He always just shrugged. Today he had new that he should go to the Barons court immediately. He sighed as he asked one of his assistants to prepare "the wardrobe" as he referred to it. He hated getting dressed up, and would rather have just worn what he was in now. A drab colored shirt and vest, pants torn at the knees and his usual sweaty skull cap. It was of course not an acceptable thing for a Noble to wear. "I am too old to be carring what they think" he said as he removed his skull cap, dripping with sweat as it was, and dabbed his forehead.

Qom went into his chambers and was glad to see that his wardrobe had been laid out in two parts: Traveling clothes and fluffy froo froo poodle swog. Yes he had good people working for him. As he looked over his travel clothes his wife Ariana came up behind him and gave him a hug. "Oof to coort are ye noow?" She asked with her high pitched voice.
   He nodded and turned to kiss her. She giggled and fast stepped away, right into their private washroom. Her eyes peered around the door at him, simply aglow with life, and that leg she dangled out the door, yes yes, the baron could wait a few more days, besides he hand a tenday after all!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More to follow

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 01:07:52 pm »

"Now Recruits! Strip yer clothes!" Yelled Junior Marcus the wind blowing his black hair about his face. The ten or so recruits in attendance to this training stripped their armor and waited.
     "Well what are ya waitin' for?!? I said strip! get that crap off eh!?!"
The Recruits promptly removed their foot wear and hats, and their socks.
     "I said Strip! Down to your shatty britches!! Females too! to yer britches!!" He screamed at all of them the scar over his left eye twitching madly as he stomped his boot and slammed the haft of his halberd into the dirt. He grinned as he was obey.
     "Roight, now yer almost naked! eh... what in Avatars blessed realm are ye doing girl??"
The recruit paused half way with getting her bottoms off, her top already on her pile of clothing. "You told us to strip down to our shatty britches, well my britches is clean so I thought you meant I had to take em off....."
Marcus slapped his own face with a mailed hand and walked right up to the girl as she bolted to attention. He took a moment to look her over with a grin but when he looked into her eyes his grin melted away and he was a soldier again. "Soldier, you are either very very smart and are attempting to cuckold me, or you are very very daft and have no since of manners or decency. Get yer gear back in yer Avatar Forsaken skivvies!!"
The recruit turned all about grabbed up her top and got it back on and turned back facing him at attention and with a salute.  He stepped back returned the salute and returned to center.
Alright, we are not here so that I, or your fellow guardsmen can check out yer wares. We are here to start training you into being the toughest guardsmen in The Baron's Service. Tougher than Dragoons, more Loyal than Grenadiers!! Scouts?? pfft who gives a bleedin care for them eh!? Now, we shall begin our session!"
Marcus lead his recruits through grueling exercises that took all the day and lasted into the late night. When he was done he had them all around a fire in the shire, huddling close despite that the hardly knew one another and were in naught but their skivvies, he smiled as he noted not one was doing the typical male/female reaction to being so close with so little on. He nodded his head and produced a brand from within the fire the end glowing white hot. "You all did well today, and its time you got what you earned."
     They all looked at him confused for a second until  he grabbed the daft recruit up by the arm and turned her backwards handing her a stick with some twine around it. "bite down, its help. This one will be on yer arse." She immediately jerked away from him screaming that she wouldn't let him touch her. He sighed and set the brand back into the fire and began unstrapping his armor. In moments he was stripped down revealing a body filled wit ha myriad of brands and scars old and new. The recruits all gasped, one of the men vomited and the daft one began to sob uncontrollably. "I would not do to anyone what has not already been done to me."  It was clear the daft one wasn't going to continue, fine he'd "console" her later hehehe. The other promptly did as they were bid and took it, though with yelping and some screaming. They all would walk away that night with MK inside a diamond on their left arse cheek, except the daft one who he made sure to walk home that night. Turns out she wasn't so daft... she seemed to know plenty about the bed.

Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:55:51 am »

Hmmm i seem to have lost all momentum with this, i promise to add on but some of the more detailed information may get lost, so if you find me jumping into a battle for life and limb with no explaination.... just know it was comming lol

Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 05:21:06 am »

Twelve Days Later. . .  Rather than Ten

A heavy gavel banged at the desk as Governor John Styrgum called the assembly to order. "Order I say, Order!! Oh Shut yer gits!!"
The room fell silent, quietly offended by the rude manner in which they had been called to order. "All rise!"  The gathered throng of Cove's Nobles, Burghers, Citezens, and Officers rose. "It is my duty and pleasure to give you The Most Just Baron Octiovus Gon Get Richer!!"

A trumpet sounded and a young officer near the door rang ten bells. In came The Baron, His Aides, The Bishop, The Templi, and The Barron's Commander.
They took places at the desk and tables arranged at the head of the room. The Commander spoke first, "This is a Private Council . All Burghers and Citezens will leave these chambers immediately." The burghers left protesting their rights and the citezens left simply because they had things to do in their rise to becoming Burghers.

"Now that this room is cleared", Said The Baron, "This Council of War shall come to order. We are here to discuss Cove's Defence"
The whole of the room fell silent, only the most senior of military officers had known the purpose of this meeting. The Assembly erupted. "WAR!?!?"  "BUT WHO DO WE FIGHT?!?!"  "WHEN!?!?!"
The Commander banged the Governor's gavel and when that failed to work she banged the nearest ranking officer in his head until he managed to bring them to order.
"We shall have order here!! This is the Baron's Court!"

The room fell quiet and took their seats. The Baron then began. "My Lords, Ladies, and Respected Officers. You are called here to discuss possible conflict with the townships of Vesper and Yew."

Had to stop while writting, will finish this part latter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 05:35:00 am by Marcus Kobra » Logged

Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 07:37:15 pm »

It was grim indeed within the walls of the Barracks. The sounds of battle could be heard outside the walls. The defenders held on the second floor, and a force bellow held the dungeons, and the Grenadier's stockpile of explosives. It where the Dragoons who held the stairs of the second floor as the last of the guardsmen and a few of the citizenry scrambled indoors. The last two Dragoons on the stairs ordered the doors be barred behind them. The Regular at the doors stared at them appalled but quickly stood tall and saluted them one final time and barred the door double. Their names, Regular Dragoon Kord Lodrin and Seargent Joveessa Oltren, shall be remembered.

In the Dungeons The last Grenadiers, Senior Grumbly and the two Tal'von brothers dished out explosive and flaming death to the droves of attackers. With them were Citezens Anne Metzton and Jorgen Idran.  They had held up well for hours already when an arrow sailed in striking one of the Tal'von brothers as he stood on the stairs setting some kegs ready. His fall proved disastrous as the kegs hit hard and detonated taking the poor lad with them including the stairs and Jorgen Idran who had been seated at the rooms lone table. Miss Metzton screamed and The Senior Grenadier Cried in rage as he launched several explosives out into the night takes a fair score of the enemy. He then ordered Miss Metzton and the other Tal'von brother into the interrogation room where the stores of explosives were, it was as the three made for the room that the Tal'von brother was from behind as Yewish soldiers charged into the room hacking and slicing blindly. Grumbly pushed Miss Metzton into the room and and slowly backed his way in behind her, a pair of explosives in each hand held high and threateningly. "You all stay back or I'll blow us all to Avatar's eternal Paradise!" The attackers pressed in crowding the door way and the small room. The Grenadier hesitated holding his explosives high, that was when Miss Metzton grabbed his hand and lowered it just a little to look into his eyes before lifting it with him and dashing it on the ground as the Yewan screamed!!

Up top the scouts and regular guardmen rained arrows down and were peppered by Vesperian archers. It was Hell and then as if Avatar himself had smote the Barracks, flames shot out of every doorway and window of the dungeons, a fire ball rolling up out of the stairwell with a force that knocked men from the exterior stairways, and men flailing about aflame. It was at this time that Vesperian Archers lowered their weapons briefly and saluted. On the roof top Junior Marcus called to the Guardsmen "Atten-Hut! Present Arms!" The Baron himself looked at the man and stared disbelieving momentarily for it was a sure sign that the last of his Grenadiers was Dead, Himself the only Grenadier. He then came to attention and saluted the winds. "Some talk of Avatar, And some of Lithos, Of Eason and Mavis, And such great names as these, But of all Sosaria's great heroes. There is none that can compare, To the tow, row, row, row, row of The Covian Grenadier!.
I surrender you from your duty and hold Thy oaths fulfilled, one and all.", Said the Baron. Thus the Old Guard was lain to rest. and The Baron's words are their Epitaph on their Tombstones.

After a moments pause the battle continued with Vesperian archers and Yewish soldiers finshing off the men who were ablaze and draggin away their losses and injured.

Almost a mile away a stand off was taking place at the Green Goblin. It seemed the towns folk including the Governor and many Regulars held the Tavern in a last ditch attempt to protect the Citizenry. It was a strange site as Covian defenders stood at the door steps with a line of Vesperians holding them there and a second line in the reverse direction holding the Yewans at bay. The problem as it was, was that the Yewans wanted to burn the place down with the citezens inside. It seems the Soldiers of Vesper had some honor and wouldn't stand for it. The Yewish Captain leading the squad stood before the Vesperian Captain in heated debate. "Step aside Captain Or my men shall lay you low." 

Finaly another instalment, sorry for the time jump but i couldn't conseive of anything in the middle except a bunch of deep political babble that probably would have bored most readers. hope everyone enjoys and the next instalments already well planned... I just need a break!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:44:00 pm by Marcus Kobra » Logged

Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 09:12:33 pm »

Ahem, I wish to say thank you for advertising this story in "The Goblin" I will eventually make it all one post for easyer reading  Roll Eyes

Till then feel free to critique my work. Oh and Qom did not get a section to himself for commenting. hehehe I was posting that section when he commented. No nepotism here. The idea had been to introduce all the main characters with a section but that was going to take far too long and I "know" so few of the legends that are Cove. Not to mention I have to slap butchered names and fabrications up there so as not to be "stealing". The next instalments promise to be dramatic and action filled. "Helmsman, set your course for the Yewish Flagship!"

qom_riyadh
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 09:29:11 pm »

The only thing I'd suggest is to try keep unified styling of your stories. All that fonts styling etc Wink

Or I'm just picky, as per usual Tongue
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 10:07:44 pm »

. . . "Step aside Captain Or my men shall lay you low." 

"Not likely, not while unarmed and goodly folks are surren to be harmed by you. You sheep loving llama licker!"

With that the Yewish Captain drew his longsword taking a battle stance. The Vesperian Captain wasted not a moment.

"Loose, Loose, Loose!!" and he too drew his rapier jumping back as his archers vollied the Yewish ranks. The Yewish screamed and raised shields or simply put up their hands, many had no weapon drawn and were set upon as the archers dropped bows and jumped in short and long swords flashing and gleaming with Yewan blood.

As the the battled continued the line of Vesperians holding the Covans inside began to thin and join with their comrades. The Covan soldiers quickly took this time to subdue their remaining besiegers and quickly escorted the civilians away towards the docks.

The Vesperians and Yewish were now in a full fledged battle and the two Captains fought ferociously. The Yewish Captain futilely slashed at the Vesperian as he dodged agilely out of the way. "Blast you, you over-padded city dwelling peacock! Stand and deliver, stop this buffoonery!"
The Vesperian jumped forward thrusting for his first attack yet and was met wit ha devastating blow as his rapier was parried and broken in two by the Yewans longsword. In dismay he quickstepped backwards and stumbled over a fallen soldier. The Yewish Captain had him! He stalked forward slowly and the Vesperian pushed backwards with his legs looking desperately for help, but all his men were engaged and he dare not distract any of them. It was as the Yewan loomed over him, sword high, that someone seemed to materialize out of the shadows and wrapped one hand around the top of the Yewans head, the other coming around with a curve-bladed knife. The hand jerked the Yewans head back and the knife went down into the hollow of his neck straight through his wind pipe and into his heart as the curve drove the tip onward. He jerked and dropped his sword as frothy red foam oozed out of his mouth and then from the hole in his neck as the knife came out, deftly being wiped clean on the mans hair before he'd had a chance to fall. The same happened to many of the Yewish and Vesperian soldiers.

"Waywatcher, what took you so long!"
The shadow stepped forward into the Goblin's Lamp light. She was dressed in dark green leather and subtle browns, and she wore a... Covian cap?!?!
The Captain again started away as the Covian Scout stalked forward, a wicked grin upon her face. She stalked closer ready to strike.
"You hold! Scout I say hold!" Junior Kobra came running up placing himself firmly between the two and more of the Regular Army showed up behind him many not wearing full Covian armour, revealing a primitively made tattoo of a diamond on their right biceps.
"Commander, With all due respect, in the Name of Avatar you WILL Hold."
  "Stand aside Junior, or if you haven't noticed I am the Commander and we are at war, I can arrange your summary execution when ever I please. For your act is treason."  She stepped forward attempting to side step him. She missed the determination in his eyes, the cold malice. "Ma'am he is unarmed, you will hold... Ma'am?" She continued towards him and the Vesperian screamed. Kobra spun around his halberd thrust before him. The Commander was skewered, she dropped her knife, grasping at the spike protruding from her abdomen. The other Guardsmen looked on in horror, though a few, with diamonds simply shook their head.
Kobra removed his weapon and the Commander fell to the ground. "Ma'am, you are hereby relieved of your duties pending a an article 32 pertaining to misconduct in time of war. Specific charges to include the attempted murder of a Prisoner. Arcanist, Patch that maggot hole. Squad gather a litter, and prepare the wounded for transport, you and you, escort the Captain and retrieve his rapier, he'll be surrendering his forces to the Baron."

His orders were followed and Vesperian and Yewan alike were loaded on litters and moved with the Commander towards the docks.  To his right a few scouts materialized out of the shadows diamonds burned onto their jerkins. "Scouts, spread the word,'Covian forces will fall back to the docks, we go to defend the walls and get the citizenry to neutral lands' Go!"

They went their separate ways and word spread like wildfire...

"Commodore, the fleet is lost! We are taking on water and listing 8 degrees to port at a rate of 2 degrees by 10 minutes."

The Commodore pondered and looked at the remainder of the fleet. "Signal them to form a blockade, we block them from taking our docks, even if they sink us they can not sail over our vessels. The waters at this point are too shallow."

The signals were passed "Commodore, do we join the fleet?"
"Helmsman, set your course for the Yewish Flagship! All Oarsmen heave to! Ramming speed, prepare boarding parties!!"

"Commodore!! We are not equipped with a ram, this is a ship O'tha' Line! not some blockade runner!"
"I am aware Mister Dolby, carry out my orders."

Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 10:22:19 pm »

"Waywatcher, what took you so long!"
The shadow stepped forward into the Goblin's Lamp light. She was dressed in dark green leather and subtle browns, and she wore a... Covian cap?!?!
The Captain again started away as the Covian Scout stalked forward, a wicked grin upon her face. She stalked closer ready to strike.

Uh woops Waywatchers ARE Yewish.... I've got the Vesperian thanking a waywatcher for killing one of their own?? hmm oh well wrap your imagination around it and make it work! Hah!

Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 06:21:47 pm »

"I am aware Mister Dolby, carry out my orders."

- " 'Set  course for the Yewish Flagship! All Oarsmen heave to. Ramming speed, prepare boarding parties, AYE! Sa!'
   Helmsman set course foe Yewish Flagship.  Rowing Parties heave to!! Boarding Parties Ready hooks!! "

The Marines shouted their compliance "Ready hooks AYE!!! AND TO THE WATERY DEEP!!! TO THE DEEP!!!"

The fleet began forming up in line just as the HMS Battleborn plowed through the waves and onward. Despite their list the helmsman managed to keep them on course, unluckily for the Yewish they didn't make use of oursmen and couldn't get the ship turned parallel and soon were falling to the decks amongst calls to brace for impact.
  "Ready hooks and to the Watery Deep!! ARRR!!" From rigging and rail came the Covian marines, bare chested and shouting their cries and barking mad, hooks before them or trailing, cutlasses in hand!! 

The Covians slashed the first of Yewish sailors and began setting their hooks, lashing the vessels together, the Yewish dared not use cannons for fear of going down with her!!  The fight was fierce as the Yewish attempted to repel their borders, Yewish heavy archers leveled their crossbows and fired into the Marine ranks scoring devastating hits that sent men over the rails to be between ships. The Marines made short work to take out this deadly adversary, those archers while they reloaded. 

"Commodore... Do we abandon ship?, we are beginning to take the D'Gar down with us. We still have men below decks...."
   "Aye Mister Dolby, sound the order, every one goes over to the D'Gar including you!"
 "An' Yer Self Sir? You'll be along too."
   "Get the men off Mister Dolby, I expect your usual professionalism"
The Bells were rung, and the crew of the Battleborn flooded onto the decks of the D'Gar, all save the Commodore.
  "Men, Marines!! Best of the Seas!! This is my Final Order to you!. Abandon Ship, Abandon Ship!! Cast off all lines!!"
The Marines aboard the D'Gar turned and saluted "Abandonship Aye! Cast off all Lines!"
They quickly pulled hatchets and cut the lines lashing the vessels together, and watched as the Battleborn began to go beneath the waves. The Commodore taking the helm in both hands, every Marine aboard Saluting as the good ship sank.

"To the Watery Deep!! To The Deep!!"
Came the call as she slipped beneath the waves never to be seen again, but always on patrol!!
The fighting continued below decks, the ship would be theirs, they had the Yewish Captain prisoner, and no Yewish vessel would fire on them.
"To the Watery Deep we commit this ship, and this fine Marine. Rum fill Thy glass, Thy bed a sweet Lass, From the Deep Ye came to the Deep ye go. Now back to work Thou filthy ass!!" The Marines cheered and shouted, this was not sadness but the right and proper way of all things!! She went down fighting and her Captain with her!

Back ashore....

"Me Liege! The fleet is lost! We have but one vessel afloat!"
- "And which is it??"
"The D'Gar My Liege"
-"Eh, WHAT!?!?!"  The Baron promptly began to strangle the man.
-"The D'Gar is Yewish you cockatoo!! Where is the rest of My Fleet!?"
"Baron, My Liege, gyah yunghaaaa *gasp* Captured!! gyah eckkk, Captured D'Gar!!" The mans face had gone blue!
-"We have the D'Gar?? Well praise the Avatar." His grip loosened. "But We Lost the Battleborn!!!" He promptly began strangling the man again.....

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length