Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:25:13 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  Scribe's Trove (Moderator: Kelly Sanderson)
| | |-+  -*Lands of Sareni*-
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: -*Lands of Sareni*-  (Read 2466 times)
Zelinda Bazhir
Citizen of Cove
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:22:05 am »

{{This is a story/short novel that I've been working on, more of a children's book. I thought I'd post it here in hopes you'd enjoy it. It is still not finished.}}

Night crept over the dark, unholy land slowly. Creatures, who had spent most of the day asleep, slunk slowly out of their homes and hiding places to reek havoc on the creatures of the light. The night became alive with these creatures, as they moved out into the forgien lands around them. This was thier time, when the evil things that they would do would be revealed.
   A dark, black stone castle stood high on the tallest mountain of Dris Ser’ona. It loomed high above the rest of the mountain range, and the castles dark spires twisted up towards the sky. There were no lights on within the castle, except for one window, where a candle could be seen, lit in a window. A woman stood on the balcony. It was the once known Asraile, whose mind had been corrupted by the Vampire King. She had once had a family, and been happily married. That time had long since passed. She called herself Zril now, and lived only to do the King’s bidding.
    Zril grinned wickedly, standing on the balcony of the castle. The wind whipped about her, carrying her long black hair to swirl in a thundercloud about her. The sun had set: it was time for her Master to wake. That night they would begin their quest to move across the lands of Sareni spreading the darkness that was contained in her masters ebony stone heart. The Dark Alliance would be formed that night, and the world of Man and Beast would fall to the will of the wicked.
   She turned taking her leave to move into the darkened halls, her feet falling silently on the gray marble floor. Her long purple skirt fluttered about her as she made her graceful, but menacing movements down the long castle corridor. The floors were marble, with alchemic symbols engraved in each marble slab. The stonewalls of the castle were decorated with shields and pictures of those who used to live within the castle in centuries past.
    She pulled the metal door to a large chamber open, finding Argith, the Vampire King, sitting at his desk, quill in hand. He had long black hair that came down just past his shoulders. His eyes were a deep crimson. He wore black leather pants with metal spikes coming out from them along the waist, and around the bottoms of each pant leg. He wore a black long sleeved shirt that concealed his ghastly white skin beneath it. He was deep in thought. Thus, she remained silent, standing at the door until she was beckoned to come close to speak. He looked up at her, smiled his crooked dark smile, and she moved to sit before him. “Sire, The Moon is almost right.”
“Yes.. Good. Have you prepared the spell?” he asked, his gaze darkening with wonder upon her as she sat.
   “Indeed I have. But the Moon will not be perfect until Midsummer’s eve, and yet we have another problem, the Draconic Knights of Darmai. They captured your messenger, sire, the man you sent to bring Maris the Wolf to you. They forced him to tell of your plans they may prove to be a bother.”  Zril stated, sitting taller in her chair.
   “Zril, I have no worries.” He laughed manically. “For not even they, the Knights will stop us now.”
   “The Knights are no worry to you? They are great in number, Argith. They may get in your way..” Zril said.
   “Zril, I will not have you question me… When I say that they are not a problem, they are NOT a problem.”   
   “Of course, Argith.” She said, shaking her head.
   “Now… Since the messenger couldn’t retrieve Maris.. Be a dear and go get him.” Argith said, folding his arms over his chest.
   Zril nodded to Argith, standing and moved back out into the hall again, silently as she had came.

Kyrstian giggled, looking at her brother Jerahd as he moved towards a tree, grabbing a vine and swinging into the deep lake bellow.
   “Careful!” she called to him. “There was a serpent in there yesterday,”   
   Jerahd grinned. “No Serpent is a match for me! For I am a DRACONIC KNIGHT!” he bluffed, swimming to the edge to make the jump again.
   “You and your dreams, Jerahd.” She said slightly bemused. “No peasant ever becomes a Draconic Knight.”
   “But! Alas I will! IF it is the last thing I do!” he called, as he reached the beach and went to swing, again.
   “And yes. You will go off, become a knight, save a damsel in distress, marry her, and live happily ever after.” She said sarcastically, starting to climb an old oak tree. It was the same tree she had climbed her whole life, while she sat and watched her brother swim. She had never quite had a fondness for swimming. She moved up branch-by-branch, the long branches creaking as she climbed up the tree. She found her favorite spot to sit, it was against the trunk of the tree, on a large, wide branch, that made it easy for her to sit safely.
   “Of course. That’s exactly whats going to happen.” Jerahd said, nodding. “Its how its supposed to happen.”
“Only in Fairytales…and we all know fairytails don’t come true in real life.” Kyrstian said, shaking her head.
Kyrstian and Jerahd were children at heart. Twins, having been born on midsummer’s eve, they spent their youngest days in a happy bliss. However, even their happy life had been spotted with misfortune. At a young age, they lost their mother, and even to this day their father had kept the nature of her death a secret, as if it pained him to even think of it. They had come to terms with her death, in later years, continueing their little happy life within the small village in which they lived. They spent their winters playing in the snow, and going to school, and their summers, swimming in the lake where they now visited.
 Kyrstian looked up at the sky. “Its getting dark, we better be heading home, father will worry.” She said.
   “Okay, come down. I know a short cut.” Jerahd nodded.
   “Uh, no. I know about you and your shortcuts, and half the time they’re the long way around.” She said, shaking her head slightly, as she started to descend the tree branches until she was low enough to the ground. Then, she jumped, landing softly on the ground besides him.
   “Come on!” he exclaimed grabbing her arm and taking her towards a hardly worn path that lead around the lake.   
“NO!” she spat, pulling back on her arm.
“KYRS!”
“NO!” she shrieked, and smacked him upside the head once with the back of her slender, small hand.
“Come on, I swear this way is shorter.” He said, cringing as she hit him.
She sighed, nodding. “Fine…But if it isn’t… the blame is completely on you.”
The path winded around the large lake, and then took off to the East. They followed it, and in some points had to duck under tree branches. It was a deer’s trail, so the area wasn’t cleared enough in points for a human to pass through.   
   “Jerahd..” Kyrstian began, “We’re lost.”   
   He stopped, scratching his head, looking about, “We are.” He stated simply, then turned to look down the path they came. “I don’t even know if we can go back the way we came, we won’t be able to see the path well.”
   Kyrstian stopped speaking, listening to the forest around them. “Do you hear that?” she asked.
   “No what is it?”
   “It’s a woman’s voice.” she stated, moving slowly through the forest to listen more.
   Jerahd followed, and soon they reached the edge of a clearing. They hid behind a bush, listening to the voices. They could see who it was: it was a tall, black haird woman, wearing a purple dress and a black cloak. In her hand she held a whip, the other, a rope. Behind her stood a long horse drawn carriage. It was black, and the curtains within it were blood red. The man she was talking to was a large, wild looking man, with a long brown beard and glowing yellow wolf eyes.
   “Now, now Maris. We could do this the easy way. Or we can do it the hard way.” The woman said, cracking her whip loudly in the air.
   “Never, Zril. I’m not going back to that mad man of a Master you have.” He said, taking a step back from the whip.
   “Maris… don’t make me be a witch..” Zril said with a laugh.
   “I don’t have to make you be one. Its what you are.” He spat, taking another step back away from her. “I’m not going.”
   “Come now, dear… You are, and you know this.” She said.
   “Never.” Maris spat.
   The woman cracked the whip in the air again. She cracked the whip again, this time, binding it around his neck, and pulled him towards her, and to his knees. She took the rope, and began to bind his hands together. Zril kicked him, knocking him onto his stomach, and bent, tying his feet. She stood up straight, looking towards the carriage. He fought, but her strength, even as frail as she looked; he could not get free from the ropes she had tied. She turned, looking to the carriage driver. The carriage driver was a beast of a man, his skin a sickly green, his clothes tattered. “Maris, you are a fool.” She said, finishing tying him his hands together.
   “Now Maris” We plan to over throw the Draconic Knights.. Those fools will die, along with the dragons they do so treasure, and you, my dear friend, will be a key player.” Zril said, nodding slightly, “Midsummer’s eve, you will become the ultimate weapon, and Argith will be the new Emperor.” She laughed manically, climbing into the driver’s seat of the cage. She started off, into the night.
   Jerahd looked to Kyrstian. “We have to warn the Knights!” He exclaimed.
   “Are you out of your mind?” She exclaimed, looking slightly flabbergasted at him.
   “No, but Kyrs, this might be my only chance to become a knight!” he exclaimed.
   “Your not going alone.” She said.
   “Yes I am.”
   “No, your not. I’m coming too.”
   “God, Kyrs, your stubborn.” Jerahd said with a bit of a groan.
   “That I am.” She replied.
   “We must find our way home.” He said, “Tomorrow, we will head out on our adventure.”
   “We’ll have to go back the way we came.” Kyrstain said, “But we’ll have to be careful.”
   “Aye,” he replied. They started back towards the path. Kyrstian walked closer to Jerahd, jumping at the little noises that were going on about her. He shook his head, looking down at the path they were walking on. The path disappeared in spots, only to be visible again a few feet later.

“Where have you two been?” a voice asked as they entered the small cottage where they lived.
   “Swimming. But Jerahd got us lost.” Kyrstian said.
   “Again?” their father asked.
   “Again.” Kyrstian nodded.
   “Jerahd, if your only mother saw the trouble you cause me.”  he said, shaking his head.
   Kyrstian smiled sweetly, hugging her father, and kissing his cheek. “Its okay, Daddy. At least you have one normal child.”
   He laughed. “I can hardly call you and your brother children anymore. Your nearly seventeen..”   
   “We’ll always be your children.” Jerahd said, with a slight smirk.
“Now, off to bed with both of you.” Their father commanded with a soft voice.

Kyrstian woke to someone shaking her. She opened her eyes to see Jerahd standing over her. He had an eager look on his face.
   “Come on! I’ve already packed for both of us. I found a map too.” He said.
   “What about father?” she asked.
   “I’ve left a note for him. Now lets go!” he said jerking her to her feet. She groaned, sliding her shoes on.
   “Hey. You said you were coming.” Jerahd pointed out.   
   “I know, I know.”
   He handed her a bag, which she slung over her shoulder. They tiptoed silently through the house, carefully not to wake their sleeping father. Jerahd turned the doorknob slowly, pushing the front door open.   The door creaked. Jerahd and Kyrstian froze. Had their father heard? They listened in the darkness for some time, but the house lay silent once again. They moved through the houses threshold, shutting the door silently.
   Kyrstian watched him as he picked up a torch from the small pile near the house. He took two small stones from his bag, striking them together to make a spark, lighting the torch. He then used the torch to light a second, handing it to Kyrstian.
   “Lets go.” He said, moving down the village path that would lead them to Darmai. The whole village, besides Jerahd and Kyrstian, were silent, their minds off in dreamland not knowing what the two were doing outside that late at night.
   “This could be really dangerous, Jerahd..” Kyrstian said, frowning.
   “Don’t worry…I’m your older brother.” He said.
   “Only by five minutes.” She said with a slight snort.
   “I’m still older… And I’ll protect you.” He said, nodding slightly.
   “Whatever you say, Jerahd…. But father will be worried.. What if he comes and finds us?” she asked.
   “We’ll worry about that if it happens.” He said, shrugging some.
   The path lead them to the edge of a large forest. The trees formed a canopy, and not a lot of light could be seen penetrating through into the forest. Kyrstian frowned, moving a step closer to Jerahd. She didn’t like the look of the forest, and the look of it made her stomach uneasy.
   “Jerahd.. I don’t want to go in there.” Kyrstian said, shaking her head.
   “We have to. This is the path that’ll take us directly to Darmai..” he said, looking to her. “Don’t worry. I don’t think there is anything in there that can get us.”
   “Oh, you sound so assured of that.” She said with a smirk.
   “Come on, coward.” He said, taking a step into the forest. Kyrstian jumped, as she moved to walk closer to him, looking about the forest warily.
   “Jerahd.. I don’t like the look of this forest..” she whined, grumbling a bit to herself.
   “Don’t worry… I’m here!” he said, grinning like a Cheshire cat.
   “But Jerahd….” She said, frowning.
   “Come on, you’re the one who insisted on coming along with me.” He said, grumbling. “Don’t make me send you home and go along by myself.” He said, firmly.
   “Fine...” she said, drawing the word out as she spoke.
   Animals scurried in the long grasses around him, and she gasped a bit, jumping a bit closer to her brother as she stood there. She growled slightly, afraid of   the creatures that might lurk in the darkness around them.

Anika looked to Yotsu, then at the two sleeping humans.
   “Anika thinkers dat dem’s migh’ taste gewd!” Anika said.
   Yotsu looked at them and nodded.” Buh, wud are dems?”
   “Wud dat werd?” Anika said, scratching her bone helmet in thought.
   “He...Hewmans?” Yotsu asked.

“Yush! Dat dem werds!” Anika exclaimed. “Hewmans!”

Anika took a step towards the sleeping humans. She reached out with her spear, poking the sleeping girl. She immediately opened her eyes, and let out a blood-curdling scream. Anika yelped, jumping into Yotsu’s arms, her spear falling to the ground.

The girl jumped to her feet, the boy woke, pulling her down.

“Dems wakers, Yotsu!” Anika exclaimed.

“Yotsu no dumb! Yotsu sees dat!” Yotsu snorted.

“Who are you?” the girl asked.

“Anika.” Anika pointed to herself. She then pointed to Yotsu. “Yotsu. Anika and Yotsu ar’ families.”

“Family?” the boy asked.

“FAMILIES!” Yotsu yelled.

Anika looked up at Yotsu. “Put Anika do’n!”

Yotsu did as told. He droppd her, and she fell to the ground with a loud thud. She growled, groaning slightly after in pain, before getting up.

“Wud dew dat fer?” she yelled.

“Yews said pud yew down!” Yotsu said.   

“Yush! Pud meb dow’ naw drop meb!” Anika said.   

“Shud up.” Yotsu said, and turned to the other two. “Whose yew?”

“I”m Kyrstian.” Kyrstian said.   

“K-s-I-n...” Anika said.

“Kyrstian.” she said again.

“Kyrtin.” Yotsu said.   

“KYRSTIAN!” she exclaimed.

“Kistin.” Anika said.

Kyrstian sighed heavily. It had become obvious to her that she wasn’t going to get through to them the correct pronunciation of her name.

“I’m Jerahd.” Jerahd said, looking slightly amused at the threes small argument.

“Jrad.” Anika said, rolling the name around on the tip of her tongue.

“Close enough.” He said.

“Jrad and Kistin!” Yotsu chirped dancing about slightly.

“Yes.” Kyrstian mumbled.

“Whats your armor made from?” Jerahd asked curiuosly.

“Human bones?” Kyrstian asked, her face paled.

“Nup! Dems made of ter monsder bunes!” Anika said.

“Ooh..” Jerahd said slightly relieved.

“Wud yews dewin oud here?” Anika asked.
“We’re going to Darmai.”

“Why?” Yotsu asked.

“We have to warn the Draconic Knights.” Kyrstian said.
   “Whut fer?” Yotsu asked.

“Because we saw and heard something bad.” Jerahd said.   

“Yes. They overheard something they shouldn’t have.” A dark voice said from behind them.

The four of them turned at once, to see the raven-haired woman from two nights ago, Zril, sitting upon a monstrous horse. Its mane was nothing but iron spikes, blood oozed from its nose. In its hooves were pieces of glass and carpentry nails. Its tail was short and half chopped off. None of them had seen anything like it before.

“Go home children. Or face death.” Zril said, frowning. She sat straighter, “Take heed to my warning for if you do not you will not live to see Darmai.” She said, shifting her gave from one of them to the other.

Neither of them spoke. It was either due to the shock of her appearance, or the fact they were afraid. Zril could sense their fear. She gave them a large grin.
   “Come now children…Cat gout your tongue?” She asked.

“Your not going to scare us!” Kyrstian said standing up straight. She clinched her fists, and looked to Jerahd. “Ain’t that right, Jer?” she asked.

“Uhm.. Well. .that horse is kinda scarey…and…” Jerahd said slowly, his facial expression almost white as a ghost. He then thought a moment, and then his expression changed, he narrowed his eyes, and and glared at Zril. “NO! Of course not! You’re not going to scare us away!”

“Children children..” she sighed, and then lifted her hand, muttering, “Ilinous Xantum,” and a fireball hurled at them from her palm, a large ball, aimed at them directly.

Kyrstian and Jerhad jumped, falling back into Anika and Yotsu. Kyrstians sleeve caught fire, and she let out a scream, attempting to bash the fire out against the ground.

Anika reached for Kyrstian, “Kistin!” she said, and grabbed the sleeve, she brought her bone-gloved hand down upon her arm, trying to put the flames out.
   “This is your only warning children…” Zril warned.

“We don’t have to worry about your stupid warnings.” Jerahd said, sticking his tongue out at her.

Zril lowered her hand, and took the reigns in hand again.  Her horse reared, shouting a challenge to the morning sky, and then plummeted to the earth again, as its rider wheeled the horse around, and then charging off into the forest.
Anika let out a sigh, as she extinguished the fire that had caught to Kyrstian’s sleeve. “Led take look at dat.” She said, ripping through the burnt cloth, and showing Kyrstian’s burned arm. “Id not dat bahd…” Anika said after examining it. “Bud dun leh nuddin’ get on dit.” She said, and she ripped the end of her leather shirt some, and tied it around the burn.

They were silent for some time. Then, Anika spoke. “Anika thinkers dat lay-day need go back ter bed. She sure gawd up on the wro’g side of Ih terday.” Anika said, folding her arms across her chest.

Kyrstian and Jerahd waved to Anika and Yotsu. “We need to get going .” Kyrstian said, shrugging a bit.

“Okieh. Yews be careful, dun led dat lay-day gedders yew.” Yotsu said.
   “We won’t.” Jerahd said, with a firm nod.

“Comers sees Anika ‘n Yotsu sumtimes! Anika an’ Yotsu livers in Taki-Tai, dah be’t camp in dah werld!” Anika exclaimed, smiling crookedly.

“We will if we can.” Kyrstian said. Anika yelled for joy, and took Kyrstian, hugging her tight nearly picking her up off of the ground. Kyrstian and Jerahd then started down the path that headed west. Anika and Yotsu waved to them, watching them awhile, until they disappeared in the distance. Anika turned towards Yotsu. “Led go homes, Yotsu!”

“Yush!” Yotsu agreed, nodding. “Gerd idea, ‘nika!” He started his walk down the path that lead to the north, heaving a sigh. Anika stood a moment longer, looking out into the west, where Kyrstian and Jerahd had been walking towards, and shook her head. She turned, and ran to catch up with Yotsu.

Anika walked alongside Yotsu, carrying her spear. She sang a shrill, off tune song as she did, and she skipped a bit. “Anika an’ Yotsu goin’ thru dah fores’…pickin’ on da humies and pokin’ em’ wit dah spear!” she sang.

“’n sendin’ ‘em on der way.” Yotsu added, his walk had a bit of a waddle in it.

“An’seendin’! DEM ON DER WAY!” Anika exclaimed.

Anika stopped a moment, a strange look crossing her face. She was considering something. Anika turned to Yotsu.

“Yotsu…Dih Anika warns Kisin and Jrad bout’ dems bih’ ugly vall’y dragun?” Anika asked, scratching her head sligthtly. “Dun thinkers Anika did..”

“Uhhm…Opps.”

It had been several hours, and night was beginning to fall. The sky was covered in clouds, and rain beat down upon Kyrstian and Jerahd. They had reached the forests edge. Where they now found themselves was a large valley that would lead them to Darmai within a few days. A stream ran through the valley, and it was surrounded on one side, the side closest to them, were mountains. The long valley grass swayed slightly in the night breeze, and a group of deer grazed peacefully on the grass near the stream. Kyrstian tugged her bag up over her shoulder, sighing.
“Kyrs, I think there’s a cave over there…we should go there and sleep.” He said. “Lets go. At least there we’ll be out of the rain.” He nodded once more, turning, and together they walked to the cave. The cave was large, and as they stepped inside Jerahd took his torch from his bag, lighting it. The cave was empty, not even the usual rats were inside. It was quiet, except for the small dripping sounds of rainwater seeping in through the cave roof in certain spots.

“The cave seems to get warmer as we go back.” Jerahd said. “Maybe we should head towards the back,” he said, nodding.

“It could help a lot.” She said, nodding. She shivered from the cold, reaching up and wringing some of the cold water from her hair. The back of the cave was large, and looked like someone had at one time, lived in it. Kyrstian sat her bag down, and slumped against a wall, curling up against it. She yawned a bit, looking over and watching Jerahd. He sat the torch up straight between a few rocks near where Kyrstian had curled up, and sat down on the cave floor, looking around her trying to see if there were anything of use within the cave.

“We’ll have to head out early tomorrow…Best get some sleep.” Jerahd said.
“ I don’t like the idea of sitting in this cave all night. There’s just something not quite right about it.” Kyrstian said, shrugging a bit. She folded her arms over her chest closing her eyes a bit.

“Don’t worry. You have me to protect you, you know that.” Jerahd said, nodding. He moved, walking to sit closer to her, leaning his head against the wall. He bit his lip some, looking about him. There was something wrong with the place all right. It was all too strange for it to be so empty. He looked over, watching his sister for a while, as she dozed off into sleep. Jerahd sat up for some time, listening to the rain dripping from the cave roof, before he was lulled into sleep as well.

Zril smiled slightly as she waved her hand over her large black cauldron, an image slowly wavering onto the surface. She watched as the two children, Kyrstian and Jerahd entered the cave that belonged to her servant, Drathnar. She smirked, turning her back to the cauldron, and walking out onto the balcony of her castle room. She looked out into the rain, the wind battering her wet hair about her, as she stared out into the darkness.

“Drathnar! Your mistress calls upon you!” she screamed into the night, and fell silent afterwards. In the distance, she could hear the beat of wings against the wind, and she watched blankly as the dragon came into sight. He was a large, black dragon with blood, red eyes. It flew quickly to her, landing on the balcony beside her. “Good boy, Drathnar.” She said, smirking, petting his side.

The dragon nodded to her. “You called, Missstressss?” he asked, lowering his head to her.

“Yes…I know you have a knight stalking you, but I have another task for you.” She said.

“Of courssse missstresss..” he said, bowing to her, “What is this tassk that you assk?” he asked.

“Two children have entered your cave this evening.. They rest there now.. I want you to make haste, and go there…and dispose of them both.”

“Yesss..Missstresss.” Drathnar said, bowing his head to her.

“Now, go. Make it quick and then return to me.” Zril said, turning her back from the dragon, as a symbol for him to go. She smirked slightly, folding her arms across her chest, as she looked up the long walls of the castle, her eyes straying to the window of her masters room. There was no light on in the room when she first looked, though she watched a hand as it came from the shadows and light the candle in the window. She could hear her master calling her name, wishing her presence. She sighed, walking into the castle.

Kyrstian grumbled, feeling hot breath on her face, as she lay asleep. “Jerahd.. Go away!” she said, swating out with her hand a bit. She cringed, rolling uncomfortably. She opened her eyes a moment looking up. “Jer-,” she let out a scream, looking up at the large, black dragon that stood before her. She jumped to her feet, backing up against the wall, her eyes looking up at it. The dragon reared back its head, letting out a large roar, and she screamed again, Jerahd jerking from his lazy sleep, spotting the dragon also.

Kyrstian ran to Jerahd, taking another step bag. She screamed grabbing ahold of his arm, tugging lightly. “Jerahd, what are we going to do?” she whispered, as the dragon turned to them, opening its large jaws and letting out a roar. She trembled, her knees weak. The Dragon moved closer to her and Jerahd, arching out its wings.
“My misstresss…wantsss…you dead..” the dragon growled, its red eyes gleaming with pure hatred.

Kyrstian yelled and jumped to her feet, running with all her might around the dragon, but to no avail as it blocked her escape route with its tail. It slammed into Kyrstian, sending her flying back towards the wall.

“There isss no hope… You are good as dead..” Drathnar yelled, raising its head in triumph, and shooting a large jet of flame into the air.

The clinking of metal could be heard coming down the hallway. The sounds echoed off the cave walls. It could be heard over the dripping of the rain that seeped in through the cracks in the cave walls.  The dragon turned its back on them, and Kyrstian and Jerahd were no longer its main concern. Its full attention was on the sound that was coming closer and closer. It arched its neck, shouting a challenge to what was coming down the hallway ever closer to them.

From the entrance of the cave, came a tall man in silver armor. He wore plate mail, and a closed helmet. His long brown hair came down to below his shoulders from beneath his helmet. “Drathnar!” the knight’s voice boomed. “You have strayed from the light, and now you must be slain.”

The dragon reared its head back and its neck seemed to glow at the back, near the head, and its mouth opened. A stream of fire blasted at the knight, and he raised his shield, reflecting the flame off of him with it. The shield melted some, as it heated up from the dragons flame. The knight ran at the dragon’s foot, stabbing his sword into it, a terrifying scream coming from the dragon’s large jaws as its long neck swung down, attempting to knock him off of his feet. The knight brought his sword up out of the dragon’s foot trying to stab into the dragon’s neck, but the neck caught him off guard, smashing him into the wall across the room. The dragon growled, rearing back, stretching its wings towards the ceiling, and preparing to send out another violent jet of flame.
   The knight rolled, pulling himself as quickly to his feet as he could, stumbling forward raising his great sword again. The dragon’s flame descended on him, he raised his shield above his head, shielding himself from the dragon’s deadly breath. The shield began to blow an eerie red, as it began to heat, and it forcing the knight to drop the shield. The dragon turned on the Knight then, slashing out its large tail, sending the knight flying to the wall. The knight fell to the ground, cringing in pain.
   However, this did not stop the dragon, as it approached him. It stood over him, rearing back its great neck, to let out another flood of flames. The knight suddenly threw himself forward, stabbing into the dragons stomach, slicing him open. Blood spurted from the wound as the dragon tumbled to the cave floor, squirming in its last few minutes, before the light of life left its eyes, and falling completely still. The knight stood, pulling his sword from the dragon’s belly, and making his way towards Jerahd and Kyrstian.
   “I am Sir Ke’los, at your service.” He said, bowing low. Kyrstian smiled, giggling shyly, taking a step towards her brother Jerahd. He rolled his eyes at his sister, before nodding to Sir Ke’los.
   “I’m Jerahd..” he said, glancing then to his sister. “and this is my sister Kyrstian.” Sir Ke’los smiled, taking a step towards them, taking Kyrstians hand and kissing the back of it. Kyrstian blushed, looking towards Jerahd.
   “What brings you to this cave?” Sir Ke’los asked.
   “Shelter.. We’re on our way to Darmai..” Jerahd said shrugging a bit.
   “Why?” Sir Ke’los questioned, looking from one to the other.
   “We have news…that we need to take to the king.” Kyrstian said softly, not looking directly at Sir Ke’los.
   “Come with me. I shall escort you then..” he said, turning to walk towards the head of the cave. “We will make haste, and arrive at Darmai as fast as we can…”
   There was still a three day right ahead of them… And with the task at hand, it made the distance even longer.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 03:00:45 am by Zelinda Bazhir » Logged

Zelinda Bazhir
Citizen of Cove
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:57:48 am »

Chapter 5 Within the Halls of Castle Darmai..

Anarshwen could feel the blood trickle down her face. How had something so innocent come to this? It was one of those many questions on her mind at that very moment as she looked up at the big, burly figure that loomed over her. He made no move to advance on her; he just stood there, a grin spread across his face. He was savoring her pain, enjoying the look of desperation on her face. At any moment, he could end it. He simply had to raise his blade, and bring it down. Such a strong man simply had to make a single, strong swipe, to render her head off her shoulders.
   He threw his head back and laughed. “Not so easy, is it Princess?” he asked.
She rolled her eyes, and got to her feet. Her hand wiped away the blood from her forehead as she smirked. “Nice work. I really thought you were going to kill me that time.”
“I did as any assassin would do Princess. You best study harder. Because someday, somewhere, you will be faced with a killer, and no guards will be around to help you.” The man said.
“Whatever you believe, Sir Brock’re.” Anarshwen said, giving the man’s formal name.
   “Do not doubt me, princess.” Sir Brock’re said firmly.
   “Oh, I don’t.” she replied simply.
   Brock’re gave a hearty laugh. “Lets go, Princess. Your father would have me beheaded if he saw how you look right now.”
   Anarshwen simply laughed shaking her head. “Father would never do that to you.”
   “You just think not, Princess.” He said as he turned his back to her. She followed his lead, as he started into the castle, up the steps to the long corridor. The corridor was long, strong marble stone, and the floors were a smooth rosewood. The walls were decorated with paintings and tapestries. Large suits of armor lined the sides of the hallway. Each set different, a name plaque on the front of each stand. They were suits of armor from the knights of the past. Here, they where honored by the displays.
   They turned into a large chamber. Knights sat around a long table, the King pacing the floor around them.
   “Argith is plotting something.” The king said, “We have to keep on guard.”
   “Sire, shall we alert the knights who are posted in the countryside?” Brock’re asked as he leaned against the doorway. Anarshwen hid just out of sight beside him.
   “Until we decide what we can do…Yes.” The king replied, nodding slightly. “Any disappearances, strange happenings should be reported to me. Immediately.”
   “Yes, My liege.” Brock’re said, bowing his head.
   “Brock’re, I have another task for you.”
   “Yes Sire?” he asked.   
   “Take princess Anarshwen to Har’dur.” He said. “Its been arranged for her to stay with Asraile’s family.”
   He nodded slowly. “Would the Princess be safe there?”
   “I believe so. You are to stay there with her.” The king said. “Watch over her.”   
   “What about Asraile? Any luck with breaking the spell that Argith put on her?” Brock’re asked. “Is she even still human?”
   “We believe that she is. She comes out during the day… So it is believed that she is still quite human. Breaking the spell, will be a task in its own.. We hope to have her home soon..” the king replied carefully. “Its believed that a necklace she wears has something to do with the spell.”
   Brock’re nodded. “I hope that Princess Asraile returns soon. But for now I will take Anarshwen to Har’dur.”   
   Brock’re turned, nodding to Anarshwen. She moved out into the hallway, Brock’re following her close behind. Once out of earshot, she smiled to him. “It will be nice to get out of the castle awhile.” She said softly.   
   “And out of the watchful eye of your father.” He grinned slightly.
   “Indeed.” She said, stopping. She turned to face him, glancing around a moment before leaning up to kiss his cheek. “I’m going to go bathe and pack. I’ll see you soon.”
   Brock’re smiled, and watched her as she walked down the hallway. They had been seeing eachother in secret for a year now. They loved eachother, but for now that love had to be held in secret.
   With all this secrecy, however, Brock’re could not help but wonder…Was it better to love under the eyes of a king who disapproved, or to love in secret?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length