Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:17:35 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Basic Emotes...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Basic Emotes...  (Read 3023 times)
Farfar
Danger to Sobreity
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

Cuddly little drunkard.

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:48:05 pm »

It was only yesterday, that i learned what *flails* was. Since im english isnt my first language of choice, im having some minor difficulties understanding them all. I´ve learned a great deal of these emotes, of course, but were always recruiting, eh?
    What about setting up a permanent topic, about the basic emotes? i think it would help a great deal, to at least my roleplay!

*flails* = waving your arms up and down, at sides
*sniggers* = laughing silent, and a bit menacily
*snickers* = ?

Got a few i would like ti transform into short emotes, as:

*twitches fingers* - is what im saying when im trying to show with my hands, that i want money. The message havent gone through once, so it must be wrong  Cheesy
  Got a few of those, but... *coughs*
  Aye a thread of basic emotes would be grand!

*signed in thick handwriting*

Farfar.

Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:52:52 pm »

You could always party and ask the person what they mean with their emote. I usually pretend that I know what it means and start using it freely.  Grin

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:54:46 pm »

Motioning for money eh? hmmm no one word describes that. Rubbing thumb and index together with a look in yer eye might work better, though calling it a greedy look seems undescriptive lol

I laugh at myself of course *pulls out his dictionary of the languages of middle-earth* this book should help us!!

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:56:48 pm »

*Rubs his fingers together with a greedy look [in his eyes]*

Twitches is more... spasming.
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 01:00:12 pm »

P.S. Yes we need a permanent board. I have found myself struggling to understand other peoples emotes aswell. Its not their fault and i'd hate to hear myself try and say one word in any single language to come from a European nation (or any other) So we do have a basic misspelled words board so why not an emotes board?

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Zoie Hayden
Dragoon
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 01:10:26 pm »

When you see an emote or word you don't understand, write it down then search for it later at dictionary.com to find the meaning. Or use a free online translator to get it translated into your native language.

We don't need a thread explaining what every possible emote is someone might use when you can look the words up yourself. Smiley

And snickers is the same as sniggers Wink

Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 02:01:12 pm »

*Bothers* - An emote made up by Octi I think which is used to describe generally whacking at people in a girly fashion! Basically bothering people.

*Sniggers*/*Snickers* - Laughing quietly, a little spitefully.

*Chortles* - A like.. fat old posh man laugh kinda of like 'Hohohohoho'. I know I -am- English and had no idea what that was to begin with. I had to ask my brain (Hoagie) what it meant.

Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 02:04:36 pm »

*Chortles* - A like.. fat old posh man laugh kinda of like 'Hohohohoho'. I know I -am- English and had no idea what that was to begin with. I had to ask my brain (Hoagie) what it meant.

I lol'd.

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Arma Renox
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

"What did you say about my hat?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 02:25:35 pm »

*Bothers* - An emote made up by Octi I think which is used to describe generally whacking at people in a girly fashion! Basically bothering people.

I "lol"ed.

The only non-obvious single word emote I use is *cackles*: cruel / wicked laugh, but mostly I use a couple of words for emotes.

Zoie Hayden
Dragoon
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 02:55:09 pm »

I never knew exactly what that meant either so I guessed/assumed it was like a gutteral laugh with lots of snorting involved, hehe.

Amelia Cane
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 02:58:51 pm »

And snickers is the same as sniggers Wink

Snickers is chocolate, don't ever forget that... chocolate!  And it also sounds like Knickers.  So when anyone uses snickers as an emote I will be thinking of those things...

Back on track...
It didn't even dawn on me that some of the weird and wonderful words we use in our emotes may not be so quickly interpreted.. I shall be a little more careful and try to make my emotes more explanatory in future.

Amelia Cane
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 03:02:37 pm »

I never knew exactly what that meant either so I guessed/assumed it was like a gutteral laugh with lots of snorting involved, hehe.

To give you an idea; Santa Claus, and Chorlton from Chorlton and the Wheelies chortle.

Snorting is more often associated with fat old men who are about to die of heart-attack.

Drachir
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Cutlass-wielding pirate-scout!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 03:15:49 pm »

I've always interpreted *snickers* as one single noise that you make when you've found something amusing, whereas I interpet *sniggers* as a giggle that one's trying to surpress..

I always Rofl when Hoagie uses his *face-palm* emote, cracks me up everytime Cheesy

Moraine DiGoraz
Banned for excessive profanity.
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

Unlike cool Covians I am banned for being an idiot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 08:24:07 pm »

The best emote ever is still the Roshamboo one
*nods sagely* (nodding slowly, emphasizing what you just said as if it were true words of wisdom)

*Roshamboos Hoagie* (kicking Hoagie in the balls with a spectacular fashion)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length