Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 03:27:58 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  UO inducted ingo the GDC HoF
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: UO inducted ingo the GDC HoF  (Read 2934 times)
Maccen
The Huntsman
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

So... When am I getting paid?

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:39:59 pm »

Yep, GDC Hall of Fame, heck we even have Guiness World Records. Hah

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013740/Game-Developers-Choice-Online

Link to the vid, if you want to get to the part about UO just scroll down on the left and click Hall of Fame.

Ta!

Copyright Renee-Claude Dostie @ www.elfwood.com
Sergio
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:04:47 am »

It's really funny that I've played this game for almost half my life and will be half my like next year and I still remember my first time with a practice weapon outside skara brae trying to kill a mongbat and got my butt handed to me.

I'm surprised they picked all atlantic people for that thing though, it kinda bummed me out.
Hoagie
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Actually a Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:15:37 am »

Ahhh, that was awesome.

I think "stand up if you've ever claimed to be the one who assassinated Lord British" would have been a good question, too.

*Signed*
Hoagie Grayner, Commander
⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ The Covian Seal ⚔ Order of Recruitment ⚔ Minoc Liberation Campaign ⚔ Kaldor Line Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:43:27 pm »

Ahhh, that was awesome.

I think "stand up if you've ever claimed to be the one who assassinated Lord British" would have been a good question, too.
Hehehe, yes, that would have been really a good question.

I remember my first few days in UO. Went out to Britain Cemetary, stabbed a few zombies, seen a specter (which were really kickass undeads at that time) and got killed. The other day, I used a Moonstone and went straight to Felucca. Of course as a total newby I had no idea I was in the PvP world and got killed like a hundred times over and over. I even still remember the name of the guy who killed me: Sir NoOoOob

2x Covian Seal ⚜ Rage of Raaz ⚜ 2x Ribbon of Activity ⚜ Order of Leadership ⚜ The Richter's Crest ⚜ Order of Distinction ⚜ Jhelom Campaign ⚜ Coalition against Undead ⚜ Liberation of Nu'jelm
Hrothgar
Played by a Icelandic banker
Cove Command
Covian Legend

The Old One

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:22 pm »

We should make this thread the "My first days of UO" thread.. A place to reminisce about the confusing first days of UO...

I remember the first day i logged onto UO about 8 or 9 years ago, i was killing skeletons in Britain cemetary when i met a friendly knight who insisted that i come and meet his king and queen.. That was my first encounter with RP and even though i don't remember the name of that guild, i remember that i had an amazing time.

Faden
Life is a challenge
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

o[xxx]:::::;;;;;;>

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:06:12 am »

I spent my first day in the old Haven with the companions, it was Halloween and the city was decorated... it was mind blowing. In my first week I was running through Yew and some roleplayers tried to tax me for going through their land... it was GRD and I had ran straight through Stonekeep, I didn't know who they were till at least 6 years later.

Linaeus
Cove Command
Covian Legend

Not the Commander.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 06:56:55 am »

Started out on Catskills, decided that training was for losers. Milled about in Skara Brae for a bit before stumbling upon some RPers that were having some sort of picnic.

I stole their table.

Torrak: As far as I'm concerned, though, EA is just unauthorized modding BoC.
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:47:13 am »

Yay, glad to see we get our much deserved recognition, especially in a time when you can talk to other online gamers and they aren't even aware we exist ! Shocked

As for first days in Britannia.....

• I remember cutting trees.
  • I remember trying to make something from logs in a Simon the Sorcerer "does this work with this" fashion.
  • I remember failing.
  • I remember some stranger sharing the secret of wooden shields.
  • I remember making a fortune*.
  • I remember banking my gold, completely losing my way and completely losing the login details to the account shortly afterwards.

(*300gp)

I returned a year later and the rest is history ! Cheesy

Maccen
The Huntsman
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

So... When am I getting paid?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 01:12:34 pm »

First days of UO. I got my copy of UO free when EA took over Masque Game Network, 8 or 9 years ago. I came to UO hoping to find the friends I had lost when EA wipped out all the games we used to play "Aliens Online" "Godzilla Online" "Starship Troops: Battle Space"

Anyways, I never found any of them. This was back when you spawned in the North Brit Inn, and got an immediate invite to New Haven. I took it and met Blaze I think his name was, a few of us ran about until they all jumped the portal without telling me back to the main land. I was lost and eventually my young status expired and I was transported, mid conversation, to the mainlands. Where I got rather aquainted with the Brit Graveyard, back when the North BlackSmith was important, before we had Luna and every man had a mule on his account. I remeber the "great Migration" Hundreds of portals from Felucca thanks to everyone having a moonstone. Running to the grave yard was dangerous, we didn't have "are you sure you want to go through this portal" Good thing was you might go in one only to fall into another, a series of them even and be lucky enough to emerge again on the trammel side lol. About a week later I took 2 days off, I came back and running into trees on the way to the mine was the least of my worries. "Tree, Tree, House, House, House, Notehr House, More houses, oh is that a tree? No a House."

The great housing boom had started. Was fun years spent floundering lol. Then after The Kingdom of Stormhaven collapsed on atlantic I stopped playing until I remebered a BoC cross shard flyer. I went to Europa, and made straight for Cove and met Erik Arkay. That first meeting made me decide to stay. Been here ever since. Smiley

Copyright Renee-Claude Dostie @ www.elfwood.com
Atrus Kien
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

It wasnt me... maybe...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 02:28:30 pm »

I think the only way I got into UO and even knew what it was, was cause of my bro. But as for my days I was in cats and I used to sell horses for 100g in haven. Then after awhile I kind of fell into the rp world.

I was banking it with dem horses though. Had a horse selling empire and everything.

Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 01:30:26 am »

My first internet connection was a 20 hour or something free trial with AOL so for some reason I started on their 'private' AOL Legends shard (now Legends I think).   You could only access this shard if you were with AOL.  This was around September 2000 and I bought the Renaissance box (for £12).  I think it was the only UO box to have a proper manual which I've still got.  It was innaccurate in a lot of places, talked about Factions which didnt get released until about December. 

Anyway, I wandered about Haven for a bit, tried to tame a horse by hitting it with my practice sword.  My char was called Drenan.  I thought names had to be unique.  I ended up in Britain and was wary of all those scary [Chaos] people hanging round Britain bank on horses, wearing cloaks.  I wasn;t too sure how this Trammel/Fel thing worked. 

Anyway, I quicky joined Freeserve ISP and went to Lake Superior despite living in the UK. Connection was horrible (crappy 56k modem).  I spent much of my early time mining in Minoc (manually, no macro).  I made a few crappy weapons, got my arse kicked, joined a guild briefly though had to manually run to and from the guild casetle near Wrong.  Didnt know about runebookss.  After about a month I got a runestone and went to Fel for a whil.  This was before mooongates let you cross facets, let alone recalling across them.  Had to farm lizards in Wrong for them.  Surprisingly never got killed much in Fel, was obviously too poor, though I blew my 5k gold on a full suit of verite ringmail (platte arms). 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length