Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:20:58 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  To Go To war or Not
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: Sould we attempt this event or not?
Aye   -6 (22.2%)
Nay   -2 (7.4%)
HELL YES!   -16 (59.3%)
HELL NO!   -3 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: To Go To war or Not  (Read 7526 times)
Althalus
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2006, 04:43:57 am »

I have a Dream .............. and that dream is WAR
for many years now Cove has battled Yew.  Sometimes we have been aided by Vesper, Some times we battled alone.  We have war-ed with trinsic, but so have Yew.  I propose a war on Yew, I propose a plan of battle stretching over many coming months.  Sometimes we will disagree with our Allies and battle will ensue but eventually all weapons will point at Yew!  then it will be that we go to attack! then is when we shall all Marshal our forces to make war in it truest form!

Basically the event i would like to lead up to is this. A siege.  As anyone who knows much of medieval fighting will know one of the major aspects of war is the siege, now as a role playing comunity we have many skirmishes but no big important battles.  What i would like it to be is a 1 to 2 hour event where the combined forces of Europas role playing comunity lay siege to stonekeep and surround it. id like fortifications built, a picketline for the horses, id like to see water barrels provided and camp fires going with a smiths tent for repairing the men's armour with meby one of the stone rares as an anvil and several fires piled for a forge, id like to see cooking pots on the fires, id like to have citizen around selling goods, Meby even a few temporary female alts as whores(possibly even a rent boy?), basically the whole tent city thing going on.

Then meby leave one small break in the fortifications and Grd can sneak out in the night to shop at the tent stalls and gamble around the campfire's in disguise. During the day small skirmishes can take place as assaults are made on the walls by small forces. Then after a couple of ultima day and nights the citizen go and fetch there main chars again and there is a giant fight.  If grd are badly outnumbered meby there can be a traitor in the ranks who swaps sides for the big battle. ie trinsic or vesper betray boc or boc betray trinisc and vesper.  Basically whichever will make for most even sides for a good fun battle.

I know what I'm suggesting is a HUGH undertaking to organise and i myself nither have the position nor the time when im not at work that is suitable to run around organising such an event.  Because of this i am asking for someone else to manage the setting up of this event and whilst i myself will do as much as i can someone who has the time to talk to the right people when they are on-line and organise the fine details would be great.  one final thing the reason i chose to attack stonekeep is the location not something against Grd  basically it is the most fortress like with a big open space right next to it for the tent city.

There are many small tweaks that can be done to this event to make it memorable, meby a group of besiegers get caught in there tower and have to make a dash across the lines on the first night, meby a lonely waywatcher gets caught in the forest and while attempting to sneak in to join his comrads gets caught in the camp during the day and spends it pretending to be a stable boy working with the horses. meby a group of grenadiers decide to try and sneak into stonekeep disguised as washer women. so much could be done to make this one of the bigest most enjoyable events in Europa's eight year history i really think it would be a shame not to do it.

There are many People who are thinking of joining RP guilds could come to the tent city and rp and get to know all the guilds and be encouraged to join ...... doesn't even matter who too much everyone will probably get someone and it could well be the biggest recruiting for Europa roleplay the shard has ever seen

Another POSSIBLE outcome would be to liaise with OSI in this matter and have all the forces band together to hold off an invading host off monsters at the end, i know they have done something similar once before and whilst i doubt it IF it could be arranged would top the event off nicely i think(also the people looking at roleplay could join in this battle even though not yet guilded whereas between the guilds they could only watch)

Your thoughts are welcome.

Justiciar
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 05:43:35 am »

*Pointless and slightly trollesque post*
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:35:33 pm by Justiciar » Logged
Odenetheus
Maestro
Covian Regular

Kill! Maim! Burn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:26:19 am »

You didn't read the part about tweaking, did you? It could easily be arranged so that the Britannians and Trinsicians instead come to the aid of the loyalist Guardsmen, no? The idea itself is good, a lot more than mere PvP would ensue, and probably, if done well, it would be enjoyable by all, no?

As for ridiculous... the Ilshenar event! Bwahahahahahaha!
Kazuo Shinrai
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 07:17:46 am »

I know it's silly that I only ever post when my bum-chums, Grd are mentioned, but this is really quite ridiculous. Have you acctually thought about what you've written, or is this for some grudge that has nothing to do with roleplay and more to do with the fact that you've been beaten in PVP multiple times by another guild? A big war is understandable, but all against one guild? That would be pointless and, ultimately, stupid. Besides, I thought there was a whole Loyalist/Rebel divide thing, not to mention Cove being viewed in pretty much the same light that Grd is by anyone but their allies. This sounds like you want a big PVP event where you're bound to win, tbh. Have you considered invading a nursery?

I understand what you're trying to get at, but it would be better recieved with a small measure of common sense and care for IC consequences and reasoning.

Right, normally I would be all in favour of keeping things friendly and only deliver positive criticism.
But you sir, mister Justiciar... are a buffoon! Did you even read the entire piece or just the first few lines of it? Had you taken the time to properly read this article then you would have seen the part about balancing the fight, like Od mentioned also.

I do feel this would work actually and it could be bigger and even more enjoyable than the Kaldor campaign. Many people could not only take part in this, they could also organize their own little tidbits. Whereas the officers would organize the stuff of major importance, squad leaders could organize their own little raid, exploring parties and other tidbits. And then don't even get me started on the civvies, there will be plenty to do for them there as well!

On the other hand, I can also see this thing will be huge and will be a plague to keep organized and running smoothly.  So in order to pull off this one, alot of preparations and agreements will have to be made. Some sub events may go wrong and it would be sad to see guilds withdrawing from this campaign just over a small dispute or something which happened during a single event. But then, I guess we're all professionals here Wink. So to conclude, I'd say go for it!
Ben Radau
Short but great!
Covian Regular

Stubborn dwarf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 08:05:50 am »

I have to agree to Kazuo about Justiciars statement. You´d better read something and try to get the idea behind it instead of cursing and blaming without understanding what it is all abaout. Who said we want create a situation where we could fight an outnumbered victim? What a bullshit!! *spits on the floor and coughs* ;c)

About the campaign and it´s preparations:
For an exercise of the dimensions a well thought script is needed. That script has to be coordinated with all participating guilds. But with that script everyone should know his left and right border, and the line of fire :c). Also with that script we might get OSI or at least some GM on our side to assist. I like the idea of the final battle, where rebels and loyalists fight side by side against a larger opponent, only to break again after the threat is overcome.
One main dificulty I see is the coordination in times none of the "higher" guild members is on, or where only few members are on, because without control things might run out of hand. So additional to the script all guilds have go to be VERY disciplined...
But I think it can be done, but preparations will take some time.

As I had to organize larger events and exercises in RL I know the imporance of a guide line with the necessary guidance combined with possible flexibility.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:08:08 am by Ben Radau » Logged

*signed*
Dwarf - Scout - Junior
Pigeon cage: 16668006
John Dell
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 08:35:06 am »

I think its a very good idea. This should be discussed on the GM boards on forums4games.

I say go for it, real fun RP this would be.

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

Oct sayeth  (19:47):
We need more Swedes.
"I was stabbed."
Oct sayeth (19:47):
"But I will hold this in and carry on."

First Story       --->      Smiley
Second story --->      Undecided
Third Story     --->     Sad
Tom Lorn
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 10:11:49 am »

Well nice idea.  But its too complex.

You have to calculate the current locations of the various armies, and their alliances to others.

With Grd moving East, it be more likely they will besiege Cove. LB is holding Minoc. Vesper is off in Lakeshire. Trinsic was saving their Duke, no idea what they up to now.

And these are the guilds of goodness.  Who knows what the guilds of evil are up to.
Olchafa Serpernt
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Mutters*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 11:03:10 am »

Its a great idea and if it can be pulled off would be a memorable event. I like the idea of civvies tottering around trying to earn some gold while everyone is waiting for one site to make the move

Nice one Smiley

*Signed Olchafa Serpernt*
Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 11:14:04 am »

The concept is great! The scale enormous and the logistics... gah!.

Dunno if it could be pulled off but what a spectacle it would be if it could.

Armies camped outside Stonekeep or Cove for that matter. Another guild coming to the rescue to lift the siege or maybe a huge orc army attacking the beseigers and new alliances formed???

Sounds like fun  Smiley if it could be done  Grin

Also with regard to Justiciar's comments I would like to say a few words... but I don't feel it would be proper to post them here. Suffice to say that I think you missed the point buddy?

I don't think the event is designed to pwn Grd's alt ... er... i mean all (or do i?) conquering forces but to have a huge RP event that many guilds allied and enemy could enjoy which would also be a great advert for the merits of Europa's RP community.

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 11:15:10 am »

My Dream is to see SK burn, so let's try!  Cheesy
Shadwell
Administrator
Covian Legend

Retired Commander of the Covian Army.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 11:32:12 am »

I think we are currently at a big war with Grd. I'm sure Klion will continue his Advance towards Minoc soon now that the silly Ilshenar campaign is over.

The Baron's Adjutant.
Hoagie ‎(6:24 PM):
Basically, the core purpose of BoC is to troll Grd
John Dell
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 11:33:58 am »

And if that event is underway alot of commercial to the citizens(blues) would attract alot of people. The best recruiters should join forces and get out there and get people to join. And an army of monsters, yeah. I want this Tongue

And it could be done after the minoc campaign? Or try it at minoc maybe, siege minoc like the same only smaller. And do it in Yew later.

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

We need more Swedes.
"I was stabbed."
Oct sayeth (19:47):
"But I will hold this in and carry on."

First Story       --->      Smiley
Second story --->      Undecided
Third Story     --->     Sad
Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 11:48:41 am »

I'm all for it. We should aim to make sure that both sides are pretty much equal in their fighting capabilities so that it would be a long drawn out thing. If you made it really big i'm sure some of the GMs would help out and maybe add in some things the normal game couldn't provide (barricades etc.) if you ask nicely that is Smiley

Hrothgar
Played by a Icelandic banker
Cove Command
Covian Legend

The Old One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 12:53:52 pm »

This is pretty similiar to an idea i had brewing in my mind... Cept mine was to take place on a massive desolate battlefield where fortifications and even siege engines are built... A realistic battlefield basically..

But this sounds good as well, though i would think Cove would make a better place to be sieged due to our massive walls. Grd could camp out in the shire and we could make camp within the town, seal the docks off etc.

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 12:59:45 pm »

Yeah, and we could have sea battles Smiley But could perhaps have something alike to when Kaldor attack Cove, just more of a siege instead of a run-over? Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length