Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:05:48 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  To Go To war or Not
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: Sould we attempt this event or not?
Aye   -6 (22.2%)
Nay   -2 (7.4%)
HELL YES!   -16 (59.3%)
HELL NO!   -3 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: To Go To war or Not  (Read 7527 times)
Cal Soulshadow
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 01:41:19 pm »

There are quite a few problems here.
First of all, the southern guilds (DOT, E-V, A^K) have been enemies of Grd and wouldn't aid them in a million years. LB would (and are) aiding them, but pretty much every other RP guild out there hates them with a vengeance. Not to mention most of the southern guilds are blue to Grd and do not wish to change that.
So that's your first problem.

Problem two is, as you say yourself, you don't have time to organise this. I know from bitter experience that organising an ambitious scenario like this, whilst rewarding, is also incredibly stressful. (I organised the Kaldor invasion of Trinsic 2.5 years ago and agreed to be jailed for two weeks after just to give myself time to recover. Which is twice as long as the scenario lasted!)
War does generate a lot of activity and RP. However it also generates a lot of whining and complaints, which the GMs and AGMs then have to spend time sorting out. Sorry, but that's a fact of life.

Not trying to put you off, but those are the things you must take into account. Good luck.

Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 01:46:24 pm »

Cal is right, this event would have to remain strictly between the Northern Alliance and the Grd/LB alliance. That's not so much of a bad thing as between those there is still a huge player base.

Unless of course the far south played the part of a third force? A three way siege would be very interesting and i'm sure the southern guilds could be persuaded to war Grd for one campaign.

Just an idea.

Darath Mithar
Grunter Extrodinare
Cove Command
Covian Legend

*Grunts*

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 01:51:32 pm »

A seige eh? Back in the CoY days Grd tried this on a smaller scale with TBK. Basicly had a fortified line which was maintained everyday and various skirmishes etc. I think it worked out quite well.

But this is the next level in terms of organisation.

Drachir
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Cutlass-wielding pirate-scout!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 01:55:56 pm »

I voted Nay on this one. Although if it worked it would most probably be the best event ever *grins* but, I believe it is just not possible.

For one thing, a mass amount of lengthy activity from both sides would be needed. Meaning that people can't just log off when they need to go, and to stop people from doing this is verging on the line of impossible.

Also, it would be extremely difficult to please everyone. Even in small battles such as the ones with BoC and GRD on the Eastern bridge, there's always at least three people getting annoyed at an unfair knock etc. so having a huge battle like this will probably get people so angry that they just go on strike from playing, which is never good.

Going onto a more RL style problem....lag. Probably the most hated and most spoken about thing in the world of online gaming. If we were blessed by the Lord and a miracle took place, and many people did come online to take part in this spectacular event, the lag for those of us who have bad connections or computers would just be phenomenol. I mean my computer crashed at Eason's retirement thing, and wouldn't turn back on for like 2 days *smirks*.

Also, in a brighter note, I always liked my idea of 2 huge forces, meeting together in the middle of a field, in excellent looking formations, with cavalry, footsoldiers and archers and then the two armies just clash together in one big blur of swords and sheilds, would be fantastic!

Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 02:57:52 pm »

Some moderating words:

Please refrain from calling scenario's or plots stupid. People invested a lot of effort in them and were more then likely enjoyed by a large part. Especially if you are not yourself organising that type of plots. It's always easier to criticise then to build.

Hector Foxberg
Cleric
Guest Of Cove

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 03:29:39 pm »

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I can say that there is something in planning by the GMs of BOC, Grd and LB.  So far I've been very impressed with the north and things are starting to happening.  We already have a plot going in-game with Yew pushing their way through to Minoc.  We're trying to build on that, so all ideas are welcome.  Hopefully more guilds will also be involved when it takes off.

Cheers,

Edmund Fairholm
GM of LB

Edmund Fairholm

Justiciar
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 05:43:45 pm »

Ahh, democracy.. bollocks. Points taken! I did read the whole post, but as was said, my attention shifted to one or two lines. Regardless, I still don't see the point of it, nor do I get how it would make sense IC - as Cal said - all guilds fighting over Stonekeep? Why? Most avoid it like a plague. One or two town-centred guilds and their allies scuffing it out makes alot more sense. Isn't that what's going on right now?

Keep your "buffoon" comments to yourself, ejit.  Kiss
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 05:45:32 pm by Justiciar » Logged
Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 06:13:08 pm »

Last warning. If someone else feels the need to make offensive remarks I'll wack this thread with the boardnazi stick till it's in the netherworld

Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 06:19:31 pm »

Seems to me just one person intent on badmouthing and destroying a good idea Erik, punish him not us.

Gregor Eason
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 06:39:34 pm »

It's a rather big vision you have here, Alth.
Nice thoughts, and it is doo-able. But you'd probably be better off choosing a neutral spot, as opposed to Stonekeep (or Cove for that matter).

I mean what happens if you break the siege? Hell NO to either Stonekeep or Cove handing over its reigns to be occupied *Grins* That was the ultimate fault with the Kaldorian invasion of Cove. At the end of the day, when Kaldor won.. it just led to a rather embarrassing OOC switch to get Cove back to BoC.

If I may make a suggestion.
As said before, organising a campaign in a neutral area always works out better. Back when we were fighting in the Trinsic Jungles with The Kaldorian Line, you had your usually ranting and whining and PVP tempers in all their full glory - but neither party was too badly scarred by homes being invaded and such. It worked out quite nicely, and ran for a good few weeks.

Minoc
As Grd push to Minoc, that would be the better point of sieging - as there's no Guild really based there. Its no one's Home, but if Grd/LB occupy it - it'll at least become a Command Post in the Northern frontier of Britannia.

In my opinion, adding to what Grd and LB are already building would be awesome! And I'm sure they'd appreciate the help AND action. So we could possibly lay siege to either forward posts, or the city of Minoc ITSELF.
And as for the large campaign, well.. marching onto Minoc would definitely be pretty kool. Due to Grd's size and LB's help, the forces of Cove, Vesper, VTC and KH would probably even out.

We just need a good reason Smiley And don't say an all powerful Ring! Forged by the evil Klion in the DARK TOWER of Stonekeep! Into it he poured his malice and greed! Bwahahahah! *Grins*

Minoc is our playground.

And I'd just like to back up Erik on the comments about other Scenarios. Being on the GM Board and regularly chatting with other Leaders, there's a LOT of work that's done, chaps. A LOT of work done. And we all need to respect that. And as far as I heard the people involved in the Ilshenar Campaign had a great time.
As Erik said, 'easier to criticise than to build'.

But by all means ending with a positive note, nice work Alth! Good to keep zhe ol' mind active Wink
Klion
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2006, 07:22:04 pm »

'But pretty much every other RP guild out there hates them with a vengeance' - LB, and KT aren't our enemies last I checked. And elements of Vesper are working with us toward a mutual goal.... it wouldnt be too hard for us to muster sufficient men to balance the half a dozen Eastern guilds.

That said, your leaders are correct. Minoc is a perfect place for this kind of Campaign, we just need to organise it better.

Althalus
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 12:31:02 am »

As stated in my post i only picked stonekeep because of the layout with the big keep then the open area in front of it for roleplay to happen easily.  I don't mind who is on who's side nor where the fight is held that's up to the politics in and out of game the idea for the event is to hold the EVENT doesn't matter where its the happening itself and minoc would be great
a trench line all sorts could be done

i just feel its something worth considering.

Ben Radau
Short but great!
Covian Regular

Stubborn dwarf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2006, 08:04:33 am »

In my opinion a fantastic idea with lots of possibilities - and dangers ;c).

But we wonīt know if its possible until we tried it. If we fail - thatīs life. If it works there is lot of fun and something to be remembered hopefully over years :c). And maybe we get even OSI moved to assist if the see the players are very active. Anything special remembering for the great battles, like the statues at Drachenfelsī Brit entrance as memories for the siege a few months ago. Imagine a large memorial on the field of the last battle where Cove finally won over the evil forces of Yew and their allies. Or a specially designed crown for the coronation of King Ben Radau I., former scout of Cove and first dwarven ruler over whole Trammel.... *cries for emotions, coughs and spits, and takes another deep sip of Bugmanīs XXX, best dwarven brew*

*signed*
Dwarf - Scout - Junior
Pigeon cage: 16668006
Kal/Mathew
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2006, 08:26:47 am »

I like the consept, Minoc would be a Great place to hold it.

All we need to do is just work it out on how and what will be done. And who will do this or that.

Althalus
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 02:56:26 pm »

Two points i wish to mention here. 

1) I appreciate everyone's views and input on  this issue here and hope that this is something we are able to to achieve but if not then at least we have tried.

2)If you have to slate the idea you dislike it that much then do me one favour.  DO SOMETHING.  Hey this may not be the most feasible idea ever but at least I'm coming up with an idea so if you don't like it come up with something else instead of just dissing me for trying.

anyway sorry to blow up a little there but that's how i feel.  I don't mind any alterations to the idea infact i love anything that may help this come to be in some form but if you have nothing constructive to add then post your vote and get lost so those of us who wish to try and make this work can plan the event of the century
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 02:58:25 pm by Althalus » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length