Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:57:00 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  To Go To war or Not
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Poll
Question: Sould we attempt this event or not?
Aye   -6 (22.2%)
Nay   -2 (7.4%)
HELL YES!   -16 (59.3%)
HELL NO!   -3 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: To Go To war or Not  (Read 7528 times)
Tom Lorn
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 04:59:41 pm »

Okay will try to see if can do some input

I played some warhammer campaigns.  And they are built on the terms of ( hard to draw this but will try)

event a
army 1 fights army 2

result of event
overwhelming win by army 1 leads to event b
win for army 1 leads to event c
win for army 2 leads to event d
overwhelming win for army 2 leads to event e

Now the armies would have to be even, and i don't mean in men.  Like warhammer have points to play with, and costs for abilities.

elite archer (highly skiled)100 points is worth more than an archer (non gm) 50 points

to use potions, charge 10 points per man per potion
10 arrows cost 10 per man
weapon cost per weapon type
armour cost per man

so a 1000 point battle one army could have
9 elite archers (900) with 10 arrows (90) each and one have a healing potion (10)

Also a defending force should get benefits for this, maybe 1 exploding potion for each man, like a cannon barrage (think right word)

Problem with uo is getting people on at a certain time, so to calculate an army would have to be spur of the moment.

Also you have to note who was at which combat, eg if cove and vesper attacked from the south them units couldn't be used in the northwest, as they would be holding the south still.  If they were moved from the south to help in the NW battle, it should be noted that the southern force was weakened.
Gregor Eason
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 05:05:11 pm »

We sort of used Campaign Settings with Kaldor.
We didn't go so specific as to include unit costs and such, but ye had to conquer individual Sentry Posts to capture the entire defensive line and progress to Strongholt, the heart of Kaldorian operations.

We never breached the Line, but got damn close. The Militia (as it was known as then) was recalled to protect Covian borders from Vesper.
Tom Lorn
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 06:45:10 pm »

Didn't get to finish the idea, had to leave work Smiley. so posted and ran. to finish off...

Was going to say. Calculating points system in Uo is pointless. How can you know if member a is worth 15 points and member b is 30 etc.

Only way to do it, that i can see is do it like Pbm. divide the whole world into grids. With key points in the grids, ( not necessarily the same size)

Have a day and time for the invasion. other days just normal activities.  On invasion day, have your whole army set to do things, lets use Grd as an example. 
They could have some men guarding stonehold, a few out doing other duties and rest in the invasion force.  then cove would have to have men defend against this invasion force or launching an attack on minoc, or assisting vesper in something etc.  You have a limited resource, the men.  and have to plan where to put them.

Also if siegeing a city, the city should start off with say 100 food, 100 wood 100 iron.  Each day of the siege will reduce this number down.  With the mine they get more ore, as long as they still hold the Mine.  But with the food and ore, they will need to get it supplied.  So there have to be a navy blockade also to stop, merchants resupplying.  Maybe pirates will attack these merchants.  Maybe vesper merchants will actually be providing the supplies cause they love money more than honor ( spelt that on to show the uo virtue).

question for you.  If thinking which city which resource, what would your idea be.

Minoc and cove = ore
Yew = wood and leather
Trinsic = sand = potion bottles
vesper = coinage most likely
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 06:47:30 pm by Tom Lorn » Logged
John Dell
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 07:07:20 pm »

Clever, and fun.

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

Oct sayeth  (19:47):
We need more Swedes.
Oct sayeth  (19:47):
"I was stabbed."
Oct sayeth (19:47):
"But I will hold this in and carry on."

First Story       --->      Smiley
Second story --->      Undecided
Third Story     --->     Sad
Cal Soulshadow
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 08:00:06 pm »

Trinsic is also a major port so fish and imported luxury goods too.

As for rules, KISS. (Keep it Simple, Stupid). The more complex they get, the more confused players become and the less fun the event will be.
Althalus
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 08:22:30 pm »

hmmm whilst i don't agree entirely with Tom's ideas I feel theres a lot of good can be taken from this

for example with the griding idea we can have mini event spin offs with troops in the other side due to the grid they are occupying, also like the khaldorian line principle

Shadwell
Administrator
Covian Legend

Retired Commander of the Covian Army.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2006, 04:17:09 pm »

I dont think Cove will war Trinsic anytime soon. I'd focus efforts on the Vesper/Minoc/Yew area.

The Baron's Adjutant.
Hoagie ‎(6:24 PM):
Basically, the core purpose of BoC is to troll Grd
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length