Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:06:08 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Element boards
| |-+  Citizen Board
| | |-+  Citizen Task Board
| | | |-+  Completed Citizen Tasks (Moderator: Raiden Morana)
| | | | |-+  [Burgher's Trial] Axiana Masteen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [Burgher's Trial] Axiana Masteen  (Read 3417 times)
qom_riyadh
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:36:16 am »

Burgher's Trial
The Fong-Shai

The islands of Tokuno are very tempting locations both to visitors and merchants. They're both exporting and importing huge amounts of various wares, which could be interesting for us. The inhabitants of those islands are also well-known for their style and sophisticated yet simple taste in styling of houses - both inside and outside. The way they set-up their houses and workshops is called the Fong-Shai. Maybe we could implement some of their ideas and make the goldvisitor flow reach Cove?

Task:
  • Visit the island of Makoto-Jima and prepare detailed map of it, including shorelines and locations of merchant harbors
  • Examine and study buildings styling - various kinds (don't go too in-depth, tho)
  • Prepare a list of most popular wares they buy and sell
  • Note down interesting examples of flora - plants, herbs, and such
  • I'm sure you will take a look at their cuisine - it's an additional task if ye wish
  • Finally, organize a market in Cove, selling Tokunese wares

(feel free to ask civilians or guards for support on your tasks)

Good luck on your trial! Remember to add plenty of good sketches!
Axiana
Axiana Masteen
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

Covian Patrician

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 09:24:35 pm »

Mapping Makoto-Jima

With the company and protection of Mr Morana and Olchafa, I was able to map the Isle. 

I carefully began the mapping process at what I believed to be the Merchant's Harbour.  The harbour appears to be frequently used as a shipping route between the other islands of Tokuno.  The coast line to follow was a mixture of precipices *feels giddy in rememberance* and beautiful sandy beaches.  The mountains, could be seen in the distance they were jagged, sharp and interesting.   For an Island so warm in climate I was amazed to find the grass so green, with lucious waterfalls and small lakes. 

The mapping process is slow for an Island of this size, and it was not until the third day, that we found another harbour, but this time it was less obvious, but for skeletons chained to rocks!  The orcs that seemed to be in this area, gave me very good reason to believe that this was a harbour used by them but for what and why, I have no idea, I'm not the detective!

The creatures too were quite fascinating, although in some cases damn right dangerous!  I felt that Mr Morana had summed up the Island rather well 'both beautiful and deadly'

Upon the successful completion of the mapping process, my protectors did leave.  I remained to study the Tokunese buildings, feng shui and flora.  Report to follow....

Completed Map of Makoto-jima
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:02:38 pm by Axiana » Logged

Axiana
Axiana Masteen
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

Covian Patrician

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 09:59:30 pm »

Buildings, Feng Shui and Flora

I spent a number of days and nights in Makoto-Jima's fine City.   Tis indeed a place that attracts many visitors.  The people there are not hostile, but in fact friendly, and although I was not able to speak their language, they were well versed in our language.  All visitors can wander around freely, with no fear of being robbed, stabbed or otherwise!

Feng shui, I was told is the art of placement that creates a  perfect  balance and harmony in individual rooms or buildings by simply changing their layout or strategically placing specific items in the space.  The different qualities of natural elements are used.  These are water, wood, fire, earth and metal.   The walls of the buildings were either made from rich latticed or panelled wood or smooth plaster.  The flooring always in wood of various types which glowed of warmth, were covered sometimes in loose or tightly woven rugs or mats.  The roofs were tiled in a most wondrous style and made of ceramic!

I spent the the nights that followed, at the equivalent to one of our inns, and slept on a Traditional Tokunese Futon.  A futon set includes shikibuton (a mattress stuffed with cotton batting and wrapped in shikifu (sheets)), kakebuton (a woven blanket), and a makura (a pillow filled with red beans or buckwheat chaff).  I sampled many Tokunese dishes during my stay here, most of which were very fishy!  (The chef was kind enough to teach me some of these recipes, which I shall prepare for the market day!).

I viewed many indoor and outdoor water and rock gardens.  But of particular interest to me were the gardens they referred to as Zen Rock Gardens.  A kind Tokunese gentleman went on to describe the philosophy of Zen...

'Through Zen philosophy, one can experience the large in the small. And in a grain of sand, glimpse the meaning of the world.  For centuries, Tokunese Zen masters have practiced this philosophy by cultivating gardens of harmoniously arranged rocks and raked gravel. This simple task reduces the day's complexities and helps one to develop an inner calm and thy own perspective on life.'

Most of the flora here in Tokuno, can also be found in Sosaria, although in a slightly different form, but here, these varieties can be found in abundance.  One herb most worthy of note, that cannay be found in Sosaria is that of Aconitum japonicum Thumb. var. montanum Nakai, it's root is used as arrow poison to kill animals.   Unfortunately I was not able to find this herb to collect a specimen, since it does not grow here this season.

To follow is the report on the Tokunese wares...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:01:02 am by Axiana » Logged

qom_riyadh
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:38:20 pm »

Outstanding work, as usually!

80 shillings awarded - Axiana Masteen
Axiana
Axiana Masteen
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

Covian Patrician

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 11:54:08 pm »

Tokunese Wares

Oh how fortunate am I to be joined by Grenadier Tyrael, Ileana and Charles, on this occasion, who appeared very interested in what Makoto-Jima has to offer...

Meanwhile in the Inn... Tyrael became quite fond of their beer, known as Sake, which I am told is rice wine, although it definitely tastes more like beer!  *Slips a few bottles away for the market*  Whilst the Tokunese seemed unwilling to tell us the secret behind brewing Sake, they were quite happy to tell Ileana, who knows a little of their language, how to make Green Tea.

We were quite delighted to enter the largest market ever to be seen...We found a wood worker, crafting what he called 'shoji' screens and lanterns, using rice paper and cherry or bamboo wood imported from the other islands.  Surrounding him were his works of gilded and ornate wooden chests and low tables.

In another area we met a tailor, who allowed me to try on the traditional Kimono, a T-shaped, straight-lined robe that falls to the ankle, with collars and wide, full-length sleeves.  Kimonos are wrapped around the body, always with the left side over the right (except when dressing the dead for burial) and secured by a wide belt called an obi, which is tied at the back.  Kimonos are most often worn by women, and on special occasions.  Men wear kimonos most often at weddings, tea ceremonies, and other very special or very formal occasions.

Citizen Ileana delighted us all when she did play to us a wonderful tune on what is called a shamisen, similar in length to a guitar, but its neck is much slimmer and without frets. Its drum-like rounded rectangular body, known as the do, is covered front and back with skin, and amplifies the sound of the strings.   It's three strings are traditionally made of silk.

Tyrael attempted to have a go at blowing through a shakuhachi, a flute made of bamboo.  His playing was definitely a let down in comparison. Myself and Charles felt it wise not to play such strange, yet wonderful instruments!  Best left to the experts.

Another stall sold Goza Mats, that can be easily rolled up for storage.  All edges are prepared with a natural binding which increase the life of the mat as well as providing added protection and longevity. Goza is made from a high grade of rice straw.

Charles' eyes seem to pop out at the size of the gems, that can be mined here, we all had difficulty in parting him from the Jewellers's store, before heading back to Cove with all we could carry.

To follow is the report on the Tokuneses wares brought to Cove for the market day...

Axiana
Axiana Masteen
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

Covian Patrician

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 10:04:43 am »

A Tokunese Market brought to Cove

It is a joy to have friends!  Mr Jarl and Ileana, aided me in carrying and setting up for the market!

Ileana and myself busied ourselves placing the items I had brought back, on the tables crafted by Mr Jarl.  Sculptures, stone works, fans, foods, clothes, lanterns and plants, were placed strategically for our would-be customers.

Mr Jarl had been working really hard prior to the market day, and using the sketches I had drawn, during my visit, he was able to create some replicas of the finally crafted cabinets, screens and tables for my market.  He had also spent time studying the weaving and styles of the tokunese clothing, and had made us all an outfit to wear during the market, this aided us all, to really get into the spirit of things.

As the customers jostled  in, they were greeted (tokunese style).  Ileana set about making green tea, Mr Jarl used his charms to sell the wares, and I cooked tokunese dishes which they ate hearterly.

All was going splendidly, until I was held at knife point by a thief who demanded my coinage.  Of course there was only myself and Ileana around at this moment.  To my great relief, I am indepted to Ileana, who threw some distraction in the thief’s way, resulting in him losing his grip on his knife.  Not a moment later a guardsman approached and upon the thief seeing him, he took his leave.

qom_riyadh
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 11:08:49 am »

I truly miss that I couldn't attend such fine market!

70 shillings awarded - Axiana Masteen
40 shillings awarded - Ileana Leontine
40 shillings awarded - Amon Jarl

BURGHER'S TRIAL: PASSED!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length