Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:40:32 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  [PR] Kaldorian Assault - OOC Explanation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: [PR] Kaldorian Assault - OOC Explanation  (Read 1784 times)
Gregor Eason
« on: January 23, 2005, 10:44:03 pm »

I thought I'd just get a few things clear here as the Kaldorian Surprise Assault this Sunday eve (23/01/05) left ye all in a somewhat sombre state. And rather than try and "brush this under the carpet" I am going to highlight what went wrong, what went right, and why.

Alright, first off! The "surprise" attack. Yes, it WAS a surprise attack - that is why we were not prepared for it. Is this not good roleplay? Surely ye never know of all attacks that hit ye, and so we were slaughtered - and RIGHTLY SO (caught with pants down)! But nay worry, we shall strike back eventually.

** Spoiler: There was actually a way of finding out about this attack in character. Ye know Dellamona's father we've been trying so hard to retrieve? Ye know why he was important? Because he held information concerning the safety of Cove. To be more specific, WHEN and WHERE the Kaldorians would attack.
I thought I would include this as a kinda "players decide what happen" thing. And as we failed to retrieve Dellamona's father, I would not allow the information to be publicly disclosed IC. Not all plots are spoon fed, some actually allow the characters to MAKE A DIFFERENCE, and that's what I was trying out here. I hope in hindsight you see the koolness of this.

Now, the actual rule breakings themselves. Not too hideous was the rule that was broken; but it was more the response, on both sides of the line. A BoC member took it upon himself to attempt to "right what was wrong" and this led to many consequences (which was NOT the intent of the member but happened nonetheless).
In turn, several A^K characters went OOC - taking things in their own hands, doing just the same as the BoC member.

What I have learnt this evening is actually Hope. I was able to discuss quite openly with GMs of A^K and V^S in a friendly and professional manner. And I have spoken to the BoC member in question and have been impressed with the attitude he has taken toward realising his actions. Unfortunately, we have lost a member (a very new one), and that is a shame... But you win some, you lose some.

So, the number one rule I personally want to point out and stress is....

DO NOT TAKE MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS.
That's why GMs are here, to deal with your complaints. You are not to break RoE, or go OOC in order to justify something you sight as wrong.
So, if you ever see something completely off RoE then REPORT IT to a Command Member of BoC, and they will deal with it;
* Octiovus, * Gregor Eason, * Grief Gry, * Shadwell, * Cyril, * Daelin (if you can catch him!) and so on.

Something else I want to point out, from the RoE, is.. NEVER GO OOC. I am actually quite pleased to say that NO ONE from BoC went OOC in battle. That was all from the A^K lot, but ladies/gentlemen, they are learning their lessons as well - and I am happy to report that the respective leaders of A^K are dealing with it.

Roleplaying, especially when combat is involved, all comes down to OOC maturity, fairness, and friendship. IC you may hate the guts of the Drow, Kaldorians, Trinisicians, and so forth... but OOC you should be best mates - even MORE so if you are their Enemy.

OOC Maturity. That's what it is. No whinging, no crying... OOC Maturity. They break RoE on you, you do NOT break RoE on them "Just Because." You play the better roleplayers, the more mature roleplayers, and report it to a BoC Leader.

But I have confidence in this guild, and its members. I see it going from strength to strength and rapidly developing into a fascinating online gaming experience.

We will learn from this. We will grow from this. And we will secure a better roleplaying future from the events that took place this evening.

If you have any questions/comments/suggestions then please ICQ me or email me;
* 69-723-945
* suge@bajracharya.org

Thankyou for reading this, and for those who were included in these events, thankyou for your cooperation and patience. T'is a blessing.

Eason
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 01:11:39 am by Gregor Eason » Logged
Grief Dryfh Gry
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 03:40:23 am »

Amen to that.

http://cove.fantasyworld.nl/forum/index.php/topic,1556.msg14526.html#msg14526  <-- Baldies ownage!
Eason (12:40 AM) :
The play chick?
*rubs chin*

Well, by the sounds of what you're telling me, you are pretty hot yourself and stand a good chance of getting her I reckon. (Don't tell anyone I told you you're hot, or you die a grizzly death).
Eason Edit: And I was RIGHT TOO!
Shadwell
Administrator
Covian Legend

Retired Commander of the Covian Army.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 10:24:07 am »

You just gave me hope in mankind Gregor.

Well said!

The Baron's Adjutant.
Hoagie ‎(6:24 PM):
Basically, the core purpose of BoC is to troll Grd
Scarlett De Veil
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 11:29:55 am »

Alas I missed the event and im only a new member to BoC but I have had lots of experience with A^K and although I have had lots of problems with them IC playing my Trinsic town guard character {And only IC} I have never had problems with them OOC.

The AGM Cal Soulshadow is a great role-player and deals with things in a mature way, in fact she is very nice to talk to as Gregor said. In fact im surprised to hear of this actually happening and Kaldorians going OOC.

I have learned this lesson before myself. Taking matters into your own hands never brings any good, it just makes your GM and AGM's job and life harder.

Also I think the idea of Surprise attacks is great and something rarely seen in role-play these days due to people getting upset and whinging. Remember we role-play people living in medieval days, life was short and often very violent.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length