Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:27:37 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Civilians
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Civilians  (Read 5571 times)
Kaelith Anar
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2004, 01:00:27 pm »

I know its a CoY thing and Grd especially call everyone who isn't part of their RP community "civilians". But I have always found this quite disrespectful, especially to those of us who make a big effort to RP our characters properly.

I remember going to Stonekeep when I had been in Vesper for a long time and RPed myself really, I was travelling through, I had my plate armour on and so on and being called a civilian just seemed to make it all worth nothing.

I have seen a few times on your IC board a few of you BoC calling random others Civilians. My suggestion is that maybe you should call other people out adventuring, "adventurers" or "explorers", and if blues come to RP with you respect that maybe they have a back ground and don't just call them civilian even after they have RPed with you or it seems clear they are off another profession, like mage or soldier or whatever.

Just a little rant. I hope you take it into consideration, I think it would help more people feel involved and hopefuilly join the community.

cheers,

Kaelith
Daelin
Covian Legend

Yes my Baron... I serve you well! - Daelin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 01:53:38 pm »

The reason the people from Stone Keep called you a civilian or ‘’Civvie’’ is because you are not a known guardsmen to them.
And just walking to them in full plate mail wouldn’t mean squat since the armour doesn’t say what kind of person your character is and you have to accept that CoY and CoRE are two very different role-playing communities.

Where CoRE has high lords and nobles walking around daily and end off the day buying an elf next to you a drink CoY community members role-play in a much more darker atmosphere.

People in CoY are peasants , slack jawed jokles… they don’t role-play a educated people so when a person comes walking up to them in full platemail it doesn’t mean to them that he or she is some noble lord or something it just means that he or she is not wearing the uniform of the ‘’Yewish’’ militia so to them you’re a civvie at that point.

And people having come to Stone Keep and tried to abuse such a role acting like the personal aid of Lord British or something well.. If that happens to you twice a week you’d get annoyed by it as well.. I know I would.

But back on the point… when a Covian guard calls you a citizen it doesn’t mean anything disrespectful since you were probably on our lands or somewhere near them.. I know I wouldn’t accept a guardsmen from Vesper trying to act like a guardsmen in Britain they would just be a normal citizen to me and I would be one if I were on their grounds.

Errr.. Anyway… Mini rant over..

*Runs off*
Kaelith Anar
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 04:01:49 pm »

Yeah I agree you can't just call someone whatever just on looks, but after you have been RPing with them for an hour or so its annoying for them to continue calling you a civvie when you're clearly not. I wasn't a lord or anything, but at the time I was a Knight of Vesper, is that such a high mighty position to accept in RP terms?

CoY is a wicked community and I love the fact its based more heavily on low fantasy rather than all the lords and ladys you see in CoRE and ERPA. But when someone who is clearly from a recognised RP guild comes along and RPs being a humble Knight in need of a place to sleep its a little disheartening to see that they just treat you like any other UO player passing through rather than a travelling Knight in need of some food.

That was really just an example, I guess you're right essentially. I just think you should be alittle more careful when you call people civilians, especially when refering to people travelling in the wilderness, civvies aren't going to be in dungeons, adventurers are  Wink
Octiovus
Grandmaster tyrant.
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 04:08:00 pm »

I think there's alot of good point's raised here.

I'll have to agree, being called civilian when your clearly not is annoying. But the Guard example, they get alot of Lord British's and King of some far off land or whatever and it's just part of their lore to roleplay people as citizen's. (Although not really fair on the players)

Anyway, we'll take it into account. Smiley

Vince Valentine BoC (01:26) :
Don't mock me! I get 10% discount at tescos!
Dellamona
Queen!
Guest Of Cove

Sawyer/harry potter O_o

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 01:20:05 am »

*raises hand*

Whats a civilian ?

"Birdie sings the sweetest things,
Bump The Elephant isn't quite as elegant
'Cos the sound get's tangled round,
In his trunkety trunk"
Shadwell
Administrator
Covian Legend

Retired Commander of the Covian Army.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 12:07:05 pm »

Dellamona is one. Since she's no Guard.

The Baron's Adjutant.
Hoagie ‎(6:24 PM):
Basically, the core purpose of BoC is to troll Grd
Coma Black
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 01:15:55 pm »

I would say a civilian is a person, who does not have some sort of fighting proffession, but still has a job.

For example

Bartender
Gardner
Cook
Tinker
Carpenter

I would class these as Civilians.

If you are a Guard, Knight, or someone with that kind of proffession then you would be classed as an adverturer or explorer in RP Terms.

I still like the way Trinsic calls their Civilians as Townspeople or "Serfs" as a Serf is a well known name for someone with a duty of cooking, fishing etc.

But If you dissagree, i dont rightly care, its just the way i see it.

Louise
Magical Teddy Bear
Guest Of Cove

Yay, teddy bear ! ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 05:56:38 pm »

Adventurers etc are still civilians.

Anyone in military service isn't a civilian.. Anyone who isn't is a civilian.

Show magical Teddy Bear lots of love, or it will become angered and blow the crap out of you !
Kaelith Anar
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 03:19:24 pm »

I think thats abit harsh Louise :/

I think adventurers are adventurers or explorers as the person above said.

For example, if I got knocked in destard and a random blue came and ressed me, I wouldn't turn round and say, "Thank you Citizen", I would probably say, "thank you kind sir or m'am or adventurer", cos they are clearly not just a mere civvie in my eyes.
Gregor Eason
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 03:31:36 pm »

Hrmm. Interesting points. Here's my view...
If someone is dressed in peasant clothing, they earn the title of 'Citizen'.

If they are armed up and ready to go, adventurer or warrior is better to use.

If they claim they are a High Knight of the Realm, unless they are actually a part of CoRE or another respected roleplaying community, I will not believe them.. and would ask for authentication.

But, generally, if you see people making the effort with roleplay then it's good to reward it.
Louise
Magical Teddy Bear
Guest Of Cove

Yay, teddy bear ! ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 10:50:01 pm »

If you put it into modern context...

Anyone who isn't in the army is a civilian. Dosn't matter if they run about with a gun and body armour killing the "bad guys", they're still civilians in the eyes of the Army..

Show magical Teddy Bear lots of love, or it will become angered and blow the crap out of you !
Gregor Eason
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 03:18:12 pm »

Yes, that's true in the modern day world.. but wouldn't have been in Ye Olde Days. I think if they bear arms, Adventurer is the best title to use - it's basically a civillian that can fight  Smiley
Shadwell
Administrator
Covian Legend

Retired Commander of the Covian Army.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 03:34:35 pm »

Altho I agree calling other guilds who are clearly not Civvies (like KH) civilians is unfair. Shadwell wouldn't call someone an adventurer just because he's not in a militia/army/whatever but is carrying weapons!

Hah thems prolly brigands! Hawrr! Search'em recruits!

The Baron's Adjutant.
Hoagie ‎(6:24 PM):
Basically, the core purpose of BoC is to troll Grd
Gregor Eason
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 04:00:34 pm »

I suppose that would be down to personal preference *grin*
Louise
Magical Teddy Bear
Guest Of Cove

Yay, teddy bear ! ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 04:55:37 pm »

Yes, that's true in the modern day world.. but wouldn't have been in Ye Olde Days. I think if they bear arms, Adventurer is the best title to use - it's basically a civillian that can fight  Smiley

What about say, medics then? They don't fight, but they're in the army, and they're not civilians.

A civilian who fights is still just that - a civilian.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length