Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:55:29 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Command Boards
| |-+  Archived boards
| | |-+  The Thieves' Council
| | | |-+  Thieves' Den (Moderator: Kiran)
| | | | |-+  A Confession and possible salvation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Confession and possible salvation  (Read 2516 times)
Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2009, 04:50:16 am »

Boss,

I have a confession to make.  As you recall, I was given a week to give the Morana child a mild poison, to induce an indigestion that would keep Railen and the Commander awake at nights and fatigued during the days, thusly impaired in their duties and too occupied to interfere in our affairs.  The 'departures' of Lacrima and "Kelban" made this impractical.  Had either of these two gone to the Commander, then any ailments the child suffered would mark us immediately.  So I concocted another plan.

I made contact with an old acquaintance who works under the name of Cowl.  I explained the situation to this Cowl and paid him to make contact with Railen or the Commander.  He failed until tonight to meet Railen.  However, at the end of that first week, he had a letter delivered to the Commander, claiming that the child was at risk.  The letter claimed that a man by the name of Smith sought to kill the child and that in order to save the child, I (unnamed of course) had volunteered to make the child ill instead.  I urged the Commander to convince his wife to publically request a healer to attend to the child, creating the impression I had indeed poisoned it.  I mentioned no one by name other than Smith.

This evening, I finally made contact with Railen, incognito.  I delivered the same warning, pretending to be Cowl, however Railen assured me that her and her husband were well aware of the threat and that Kiran was behind it.   Dismayed that we were thusly undone, I improvised a new story, that Cowl's employer (me, unnamed) worked for you but that you had instructed me to take steps to save the child, that your interest in harming the child was an order by Smith.  Indeed, once it was clear your involvement in this matter was already well-known to the Moranas, I painted a picture that you're under the control of this Smith and this was the only way to save the child.  I also warned her that Smith may grow impatient and send his own people to kill the child, or indeed her.  Hopefully, I have hopefully created the impression that with you and your people out of the way, Smith can move his own people in. 

I was forced to reveal more than I wished, including more truth than I was comfortable with, however it seems we have been sold out well and truly.  Had we made a move on the child, we would be dead, imprisoned or on the run by now. 

My humble suggestions are:

All the brothers and sisters, if questioned in relation to this, state that Kiran only ordered the attack on the child to convince a new member who at that time we suspected was an agent of Smith's.  After Lacrima and Kelban's exit, and after the exit of this possible agent, Kiran instructed the 'poisoner' to warn the Moranas about the threat anonymously.  That if Smith discovered this, he would kill us and the child. 

Further, all brothers and sisters should state that this was well-known to them and that a letter was written to the Commander by a person named Cowl.  This should, I pray, give them doubts that any of us had a genuine desire to hurt the child, that in fact the meeting was a sham to convince a possible agent of Smith's that we intended to carry out his order to inconvenience the child.  Should they ask about the 'agent' (Kadere), we can simply state we are convinced that the man in question wasn't in fact working for Smith. 

It may of course be that neither Kelban or Lacrima told Railen and the Commander, that in fact we have another spy in our midst.

I hope my initiative has not displeased you overly, it seemed a prudent way of saving our necks if Kelban or Lacrima decided to tattle.  Cowl's letter was sent some time ago, so they cannot accuse us of cooking up this desire to protect the child only now.  Cowl is unaware of anyone's involvement other than my own.  His letter named none save Smith.  With luck, the Commander's ire will fall on this Smith.  If we ever find his headquarters.

Mask

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 05:00:54 am by Garak Nightchill » Logged
Kiran
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 07:01:11 pm »

My brother...

The reasons for my late reply is a simple one, the fast thinking and double twists and turns in this piece of writting even overwhelms my mind, the artistry in which you fabricated this to turn to our good is beyond compare...

I am proud of you brother, thirty shillings await you for your devious thinking and cunning, not to say the least the time and effort spend concerning this topic.

Yours in humble thanks.

Kiran.

Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:25:20 am »

Then I'm not to be hung? ... Oh good.

Mask
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: