Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:15:07 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  Scribe's Trove (Moderator: Kelly Sanderson)
| | |-+  The Baron's Return
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Baron's Return  (Read 2704 times)
Gregor Eason
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2007, 05:07:55 am »

Was flicking through some old notes. I originally wrote this as a bit of a plot returner explanation for Octiovus coming back to Cove, after going to Yew. So its set just after his return; and also after Gregor Eason had resigned from his commission following some massive defeat, or something. Enjoy!

The Baron's Return
Baron Octiovus sat at his old desk.
The hour was late, and the candles flickered as Octiovus von Richter of Cove, the Lord that had deserted his land and his people in their time of need, studied a few simple parchments on the day's affairs of the Baronship Household.
Octiovus grew weary, and was ready to retire to his bedside.. but a faint noise raised him from his slumbering mind. He looked over to the balcony to see a man dressed in simple clothing, and a long drawn cloak. He looked aged and worn, and with a dark intent in mind. Clutching a dagger in his right hand, Gregor Eason, former Commander of the Cove Militia, stood facing the Baron. Having distanced himself from Cove following a devastating defeat at his own command, Gregor took a stern look at Octiovus.
"I thought you had left." The Baron suggested.
"And I the same of ye. Welcome back, thy lordship. I trust ye stay in Yew was a pleasant one. Betraying one's plague infested land for another that is without such disease must truly be the high life of Nobility." Gregor's presence this eve was all too clear. Revenge was the matter at heart. Revenge for the people of Cove, who's lord had left them to rot in disease and ill health, only to join the very Enemy he had sworn to defeat. "Well then. Let's make this quick shall we? Any last words, BARON Octiovus?" The former Covian officer raised his dagger.
"Just the Truth, Eason. Just the Truth."
The Baron let out a long sigh, and looked downward. "My departure from this land. My apparent 'betrayal'. It was not meant to be." Gregor stared blankly at the Baron. "I had no choice... Listen well, Gregor. Listen well. I am going to tell you everything."

"During your absence as you know full well, the deadly plague known as the 'Green Death' took a hold of Cove. Within days the disease had spread faster than most of our Healers would have imagined. Our attempts at isolating the epidemic failed disastrously. We were without hope. Local physicians and alchemists had nay idea of the disease they were dealing with, least of all.. how to cure such evil.
However, late one eve.. when I was sat here just like this.. a man stepped forth from the shadows and startled me! So much for Grenadier security, hmm?"
"Get to the point." Gregor spoke through gritted teeth.
"A Yew Waywatcher. One can recognise so easily from their garments, when they are visible of course. He offered assistance directly from Lord Klion D'Gar, an aid no other could.. the cure for the Green Death." The Baron drew his eyes away. "I left.. in exchange for the antidote."
"That's nonsense." Gregor protested. "Cove recovered the cure for the Plague. I saw it myself. Squads led by Officer Cadets Drachir and Valentine retrieved it from a compounder in Ilshenar."
"Where did ye unravel the location of this compounder from?" The Baron smirked.
"Who.. Chaismene Volte. A lady... from Yew.." Octiovus nodded.
"Beginning to understand?"
"She would not betray us by liasing with the Enemy!" Gregor was visibly disturbed, but the Baron merely chuckled.
"Of course not! She is quite the faithful one. Fear nay, Gregor. The simple knowledge of the compounder's whereabouts was snitched across Yew worse than rumours of Calico Kate's infamous cheating on Ryan Greystone!" The Baron continued to chuckle, but Gregor remained unamused.
"We would have found the compounder ourselves..."
"The compounder was of Yew." The Baron interrupted.. "Return to Ilshenar, I trust ye will not find him there."

The story.. though hard to hear.. made sense. The cure had nay been retrieved until the Baron had gone, and all guardsmen knew of the search efforts made before then. Gregor Eason weighed his thoughts.
"If this is true, Baron Octiovus. Why were ye so destructful and bitter. It seemed that ye were making thy own decisions..." Octiovus looked at Gregor oddly.
"Come now... Gregor Eason... Of all Covians, I thought Ye at least would know. I am never a loser in Britannia, my dear fellow. I was nay going to surrender publicly to that bastard D'Gar. I made it all seem as if t'was my choice so that my public image was retained; wealthy and powerful. The wealth! Well.. the wealth is always nearby. But the power, Eason. The power.. Something perhaps ye've nay understood yet, hmm? If I were to surrender myself to Yew, what good would that do me?"
"You miserable bastard." Gregor barked. "Its always about YOU." The Baron stared back viciously.
"I'd take kindly of thy words, Gregor. My actions prevented the Covian people from their own extinction. Had I nay left and gone to Yew, the Green Death would have obliterated the populus. You, yourself, would nay be standing here. So let's talk about me, shall we? How ruthless and careless toward my own people I am??" Gregor inhaled deeply.
"Ye should have told me."
"YOU.. were not here. WERE YOU?!" Both men, now equally frustrated, had seemingly hit a wall in the argument. Gregor lowered his dagger.
"The Grenadiers..." Gregor paused. "They.. knew?"
"Wouldn't be the Baron's Own if they didn't." Octiovus winked. "Oh come now, Gregor. The hour is late. We have both exchanged the affairs of the matter. Must I go on?" Gregor muttered, and shook his head. "Good! Here. Have a brandy." The Baron casually strolled over to his drinks cabinet, opened a bottle, and poured some of the good stuff into two glasses. Offering a glass to Gregor, he quizzed.. "So.. this business of resigning your Commission. Better than dying on us again I suppose!" The Baron and the former Commander clinked glasses together, and drank down a hearty amount. "When did ye leave the Militia?"

"I never left." The Baron raised his eyebrow, only to be returned with a grin from the supposedly inactive Covian officer.

Garak: "Uh, I was under the impression we didn't allow neon hair?"
Grief: "I was under the impression we didn't allow hair at all!?"
Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:10:43 am »

Very cool.  Wink
Vince Valentine
Cove Command
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Carl Hammond - Detective

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:22:17 am »

An awesome read!

Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 03:26:20 pm »

Nice read, fill me in on some of the history about this blasted place

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 11:04:36 pm »

I always thought the Yewish held the Baron's mum hostage! Another myth destroyed=(

Good stuff=)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length