Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:12:13 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Classic Shard
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Classic Shard  (Read 1867 times)
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 11:38:46 pm »

Quote from: Darkscribe
4. How come EA doesn't open up a "classic" shard?
Darkscribe: I have very mixed feelings about a "classic" rule-set shard. The reason is this: What a "classic shard" should be depends on what player you ask and when they entered the game. Year One people want one that looks like Year One. Year Three people want a pre-AOS shard, but not a pre-Ren shard. Then there are lots of people who came in after AOS, but could do without some of the Samurai Empire and UOML stuff. Then again, there are Year One people who want all the expansion pack land masses, but pre-AOS item properties and also no Elves. So, is it about PvP rules, or item properties, or size of landmass, or insurance, or races, or professions, or crafting, or artifacts, or what? What would make the majority of players the happiest? It's very close to an unanswerable question. I've conducted the research, launched the surveys, conducted the focus groups, and I've yet to see a clean answer that wouldn't anger as many as it pleased.

Here is what I do think can be done, maybe, after a lot more research and player discussion: I think a shard with a unique rule set could provide a new kind of experience and be an important addition to the world of UO. I'm more excited by the thought creating something new, instead of the impossible task of re-creating something that existed years ago and maybe could never be re-created again.

At the Town Hall meeting, I compared expecting a "classic shard" to be as satisfying as your first UO experience to expecting your 20-year high school reunion to be as fun as your senior prom. It just isn't going to be as good.

The real question is what should a unique shard really look like? Or, should we take a closer look at our current hardcore shards, Siege Perilous and Mugen, and think about how to make the experience there more satisfying? These are questions we will try and answer within the next three months as development plans come together for the rest of the year.

Anyone else somewhat hopeful?
Jassi Cowin
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

I'm a pepper!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:20:30 am »

Kinda, I think that a classic style shard should take place in the modern UO realms for player base and housing reasons.. I want a shard exactly like Siege Perilous but with a few tweeks..

5+ characters
recall/sacred journey(this does not work on Siege)
Old looting system
Player housing should exist for all players who have houses on other accounts in my opinion.. Cause we would have to start all over.. So I think it should end up being 2 houses per account but your second house would be on this unique special shard..
Cheaper vendor prices(Siege is expensive, and meant for more advanced players who want a challenge.)
No x-fers
No advanced character tokens etc..
All facets available AoS and beyond + races, skills etc..
CLASSIC ITEMS(No more math)

Depending on server population due to limited housing, they could open up other shards just like it in the future..

Sash Contains:
Ribbon of Activity
Order of Distinction

Mentoring:

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:25:57 am »

Kinda, I think that a classic style shard should take place in the modern UO realms for player base and housing reasons.. I want a shard exactly like Siege Perilous but with a few tweeks..

5+ characters
recall/sacred journey(this does not work on Siege)
Old looting system
Player housing should exist for all players who have houses on other accounts in my opinion.. Cause we would have to start all over.. So I think it should end up being 2 houses per account but your second house would be on this unique special shard..
Cheaper vendor prices(Siege is expensive, and meant for more advanced players who want a challenge.)
No x-fers
No advanced character tokens etc..
All facets available AoS and beyond + races, skills etc..
CLASSIC ITEMS(No more math)

Depending on server population due to limited housing, they could open up other shards just like it in the future..

i'm more of a shard that's only got Felly + The Lost Lands. Just to keep it simple. Only thing i'd want from AoS and onwards would be housing.
Raven
Highlander
Baron's Own Grenadier
Covian Legend

The Highlander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:20:08 am »

I'm with Khae.

⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ Order of Distinction ⚔ Border Wars ⚔ Trinsic Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

[22:37] Hoagie: I think Raven would make a hot girl
[01:57] XxwarbringerxX: Raven would indeed make a hot chick.
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:24:16 am »

I'm with Khae.

Found my old Grd footman weapons the other day; back then exceptional was only +20% extra damage. And that was better than mighty ones if i remember correctly.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length