Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:37:22 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Battle Tactics and Training
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Battle Tactics and Training  (Read 2798 times)
Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2005, 08:31:06 am »

Howdy! Although it's not something we should focus on in my opinion I think there might be some battletactics that could use some discussion and perhaps even incorporate them into the IG Militia trainings...

One of the those would be Mortal Strike! I could be mistaken but I don't see it used as much as it should be in large scale battles...I mean:

Bleed and Poison are realy nifty to use on runners but are alot less effective when you have a block of fighters you're confronting (too many healers)

Armor Ignore, Concussion, Crushing blows can really sap a huge chunk of lifeforce away from your victim. But once again if you're not making sure that huge battery of healers is stopped in some way you have to time VERY well with your teammates. Something I think is very hard to learn for only occasional fighters compared to real PvPers.

Mortal Strike...In my opinion the bread and butter of large scale warfare. It has a sting. Not only can your target not be healed like with Poison or Bleed but the bandage can only be applied after the Mortal subsides. That means that he either neads a precasted mageheal or for 5-6 seconds at least he's not going to be healed. 5-6 seconds vs 2-3 seconds is all you should need to bring someone down if he doesn't start running. I would really have people start focussing more on mortalling the opponent as much as possible. At the very least it'll stop some of these 0 casualties on their side battles Smiley

In my opinion we do very well in fighter warfare. I mean we usually stay alive quite long as long as it's fighter on fighter. But we usually the fighting fluxuates until their magery battery can fire off. Magery does have the ability to break through that 2-3 second healing time and drop a fighter. Then they pick the next target untill there are not enough men to keep healing. Obviously with so few mages on our side (which is a good thing in an RP sence) we don't have that luxury. And the increased usage of Mortal Strike might give our warriornumbers some more punch. Better timing and coordination would be ideal but I think given the fact we're roleplayers and don't have time for that stuff I think stepping over to Mortal Striking as much as possible might be a good alternative.

The last thing I'd like to mention is the LC Squad. I think we have one of the best and biggest scouting division. Maybe we could make even better use of them? If it were up to me I'd use them more in a kamikaze-style approach to throw mage division into confusion. They would prawl around the enemy already dragging all the mages bars out and setting primary and secondary targets. Then 2-3 seconds BEFORE battle starts they'd come out of hiding and try to keep their magery division occupied as much as possible and leave it to the warriors to duke it out. Two possible approaches...Set primary and secondary targets and try to get a few mages down or team up 1-2 scouts to each mage and try to get as much mages as possible to start running or at least occupied. The first approach would guarantee a few mages are out and stay out, the second one ensures more mages are out for a short period.

Voila, that it. I hope I didn't sound too arrogant or something. Just trying to give my two cents. I picked the topics so that they don't negatively impact or even improve our roleplaying look on the battlefield and I chose them so that non-PvPers should be able to pick up on them more easily.

Ideas? Comments?

Althalus
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 11:44:01 pm »

sound thinking personally my favorit tactic is for three of my scouts to step from the shadows with one doing each of poison, bleed, and mortal to the designated target which should be sufficient to lay out anyone in short order and allow them to vanish back into the shadows.  then move on to the next target.  this is the general tacktics for the lc but kamakazie? sorry my guys are scouts not sucidal Tongue however we do tend to target mages first or if the comand structure looks weak then the comanders would be first.

Justyce Black
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 06:25:43 pm »

I agree, LC have the potential to hamstring enemy attacks....

We need to make use of the UOAM server first, or the usual confusion reigns as soon as everyone slips into the shadows!

As we dont seem to have a stealth mage, I am training up hard to fill what I think is a gap the range of 'stealth based solutions' that the unit can provide (assuming they'll have me hehe).

Mainly though, the UOAM server is the key to successful team work for stealthers.
Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 06:37:41 pm »

FYI A stealtharcher is more suitable then a stealthmage in my opinion but I'd say go with whatever you like to roleplay! My template is far from being effective too (I basically waste 240 skillpoints I could put to VERY good use)

Oh...I think Ben Radeau is a stealthmage Smiley

Althalus
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 07:28:33 pm »

bah you puny fools i am running a blooming uoam sever that i posted an icq about to all lc and lc wanabees but noone ever logs onto it!!!!!!! however i will repost this to those who have access to the lc boards as soon as i have overhauled my sever system as i am upgrading it curently from server 2000 as it sucks Tongue however as soon as this is sorted we shall hopefully have a functuning uoam sever that people will actually USE however i wish to make this clare plain and not obtuse ....... this server is for lc mambers and command only it is not for otheres unless specifically invited for an event and it is NOT for random chat the uoam chat system represents "secret hand signals and bird calls" that are used for comunication ...... anyone i find abusing this will be firstly warned and then baned from the server.

Justyce Black
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 07:44:14 pm »

Yar, you and me are the only foo's on it  Tongue
Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 07:58:14 pm »

Yah.. I'm the one that mortals then hopes to the gods that I can swich back to my cutless fast enough to get off a hit before dieing....

Then again I've got a nice fast swich.

*lubs the LC*

*Earned Merit in The Kaldorian Line Campaign*
Althalus
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 08:12:18 pm »

inbuilt uo macro for switch to last wepon ...i have it set to ALT+A then i just equip my knife, take it off and put on my other weapon ...can poison and shadow strike from my knife Smiley cant wait for the assasins blade in ML Tongue

Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 03:25:39 am »

esc key is it for me, much less chance of a miss hit with if way over there.... the second it takes to swich is an eternity when you'r bleading.

*grins*

*Earned Merit in The Kaldorian Line Campaign*
Gregor Eason
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 04:06:41 am »

Light Company rule. When they're not around we usually lose; simply because, as Arkay pointed out.. they can really confuse the Enemy, especially priority targets such as the damn Tamers of A^K and the Mage folk, and without that confusion us simple warriors are sittin' ducks!

Mortal Blow rocks too. I use it as much as I can.

I believe we'll progress as the Militia Squads fill out more and more. With the Light Company expanding further, the Grenadiers hopefully coming to their feet again, and the introduction of the Arcane Company.. we should have a fairly formidable force.

There are a few grey areas that are difficult to improve on. For instance, our total lack of mages. But the restriction of high quality combat skills such as Bushido will not be totally outlawed much longer. As soon as our webhost uploads the Index page ye'll be able to see a load of new links.
Check "Class System" under Cove Militia, and ye'll find something rather nifty in regards to Bushido.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length