Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 01:39:08 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  A winter Tale
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A winter Tale  (Read 1823 times)
Marie
Citizen of Cove
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2006, 08:30:30 pm »

*After several hours of feet in hot water, Marie sneeze and finally sits down to scribe*

Roit, Sirs.

Here is my report on Darath Mithars Training Course. Being called to the Barracks, I found myself in a line with a handful of men. The reason for the call were nay intrusion if enemies, but rather a course in Winter Survival. Coming from the south, Sirs, I agree that the winter here in Cove is damnable cold, so some wise words on how to survive it, would be welcomed – pardon my words, Sirs, but boy, were I in for a surprise.

After growling at the line, Darath gave us all a bag with so-called survival gear; mostly warm cloth of a absurd cut, and some strange furry boots with some kind of frame attached underneath. While looking ridicules, they were warm and I felt comfortable outside for first time for weeks. Walking were another matter though. Darath opened a gate and we went inside.

When I came through, the cold hit me as a hammer. The cold air burned my lungs like fire, and the snowflakes made it impossible to see. After a few minutes I recovered somehow, and could look around. It were white in white everywhere, Sirs, and nowhere could I see any sign of life. A white freezing hell. I must admit, Sirs, that I almost lost heart there and then – but the bravery and commitment of my fellow soldiers gave me the courage to continue.

Leaded by Darath we headed north to a unknown destiny. For hours we struggled against the harsh wind, freezing cold and treasonous  snow. Early on we battled a tall hairy monstrosities that Darath assured us were naything but a troll. In a attempt to keep warm, Kas gutted the troll and covered himself with the monsters warm entrails – it seem, Sirs, that he had hard from legend, that a hero had once been saved from death in this way – that may be so, but the outrageous stench were killing everyone else – actually the only one that seemed attracted to the smell, were big white bears, that like ghosts emerged from the veil of snow around us. We fought well, and also killed a number of monsters with big teeth that Darath called Valrusses.
After a hard time we came to a cave, and Darath rushed us inside. There we were to made camp, alas with very little to protect us from the cold and warm our spirits, as we had nay any wood. Darath only grinned, and told us there were other means to fuel a fire. Fat we would need, so outside we went again, to hunt and kill more of these Valrusses. It were a hard fight, and had not the thought of Cove, and its comfort that awaited us in the end of this horrible trip, we might have fallen to despair. Inside Darath gutted the Valrusses and showed us how to burn their fat to make fire, and hide in their skin to get warm. The temperature in the cave (and the foul mood of the men) raised. The smell of burning and smoking fat, wet and sweating men and not to forget – the characteristic stench of troll remains is a memory is something, that is nay easily forgotten. But nevertheless we were alive and – and most - more and less sane. And we were among trusted swordbrothers – friends – bound to each other with bonds stronger then steel.

Dreams that were brutally ended when Darath awoke us all. It were time, he told us, for a final test. Stripping down we had to, he demanded, and make our way outside. There he had hacked a hole in the ice, and we were to jump into the freezing water. We begged and cursed, but the insane man showed nay mercy. Sirs, had we faced a thousand Kaldorians there could nay be any bigger display of humble courage and grim determination, as each man (and woman) did what the cruel man demanded, and walked outside to meet their fate. Out in the cold, facing that destiny had in hand for us. There were the final test, so innocent looking like a mere hole filled with water. Each and every man (and woman) stared long into the void, silently saying goodbye to whatever he (or her) were  dear to him (or.. ahh.. forget it!). Of they ran, the few steps seeming like miles, the white snow biting their naked skin like daggers. Into the water they jumped, a act that, for a short moment, raised them to be like Gods in ordinary mans eyes…

Well, Sirs, I would like to say their behaviour, when they touched the water, were like that in dignity, but I think that we just should count us lucky that all survived – and we finally were allowed to return to Cove. Each man changed forever – as the memory of these horrible trails would be with them allways.

Dear Sirs. Let me face hordes of Undeads, a army of Yewians, a flaming dragon full of wrath – but please, Sirs, please – save me from other of Darath trials.

Yours sincerely

Marie le Blanc

[Participating in this enjoyable event were Darath Mithar, Vince Valentine, Vincent Redfield, Bayne, Kas Valantine, Valiro, Commander Eric Akay and Marie Le Blanc.]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:43:11 pm by Marie » Logged
Darath Mithar
Grunter Extrodinare
Cove Command
Covian Legend

*Grunts*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 10:36:33 pm »

*Grunts and reads the report*

Conditioning its called lass! Your all the stronger for it!

Good Report

Signed

Junior Mithar

[OOC: Was dam good fun  Cheesy Got a crap loads of screenies back at home including some classic quotes that literally had me laughing with tears! I'll post them as soon as i get back]

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length