Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:14:09 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  Seeking Sergeant Valentine!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Seeking Sergeant Valentine!  (Read 2623 times)
Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2007, 07:22:38 pm »

Attended by:
Raiden, Grenadier Corporal (leading)
Hoagie, Dragoon Sergeant
Mela, Scout Sergeant
Joey Lanai, Senior Dragoon
Gimbly, Regular Grenadier
Tom Sendrich, Regular Dragoon
John Dell, Regular Guardsman
Conan Darkmoon, Regular Guardsman
Eve, Junior Grenadier
Falconheart, Watchman
Arel Mortan, Watchman
Zoie Hayden, Watchman
Mercy, Guardsman Recruit

Trophy Collected: Tooth Of The Bone Dragon.

It had been a long hard day for Raiden as he trudged towards his cottage. Had Mela suspected that something was amiss with Vince from his conversation with her earlier he pondered?

As he walked up the path to his front door a figure appeared from the shadows. Raiden eyed the figure with disdain.

"I have ill news of your Sergeant."
"Well?"
"A goat herder saw a soldier crawl into the ruins near the Sacrifice shrine... The soldier was injured."
"A soldier? A goat herder sees a soldier hobbling about and I'm supposed to mount a rescue mission... What the feck am I paying you for!"
"The soldier was a Covian... He wore bronze arms."

Raiden tossed a bag of coins to the figure and swore harshly under his breath. He turned and ran into the barracks. No one was about. He checked the rotas. Damn it! There's no way I can lead a rescue mission until next eve.

Monday eve a large detachment of Covian Grenadiers, Scouts, Dragoons and Guardsmen gathered at the barracks as Raiden briefed them quickly.

"The Sarge is missing men, in the vicinity of the sacrifice shrine in Ilshenar. We leave NOW! There's not a moment to lose!"

Raiden could feel an anger and unease in his men as they rallied in Ilshenar. A frustration borne from the fact that Sergeant Valentine was missing in action.

The rescue party advanced towards the ruins and came upon a group of brigands. None of the bandits were forthcoming with information so they were slain where the stood. The mood amongst the men was getting darker.

As they searched the ruins for a sign as to Vince's whereabouts Raiden's expedition came under archer fire.

"Cheese eaters!" Came the cry.
"FORM ON ME" Raiden bellowed as he tapped his helm and the ratmen charged.

It didn't take long for the attack to be repelled and  the order was given to skirmish the disordered enemy.

With the ruins secure and still no sign of Sergeant Valentine the brave band of Covians searched the surrounding area. Still no sign could be found. The only place left to shelter was a cave known to be infested with ratmen and elementals not to mention rumours of undead dragons. It would be a desperate situation indeed to force Vince to shelter in such a place.

"Alright. Form up on me! We're going in! Stay close!" Raiden barked the orders as the guardsmen entered the cave.

They immediately came under attack from elementals and ratmen as they entered. Something had certainly got the buggers riled up! Not a Covian gave an inch and soon the onslaught was subdued and Raiden ordered his men into the Ratmen's lair.

The rescue party hadn't ventured far when they came across the first clues to Sergeant Valentine's whereabouts.

"Look a Covian sash!" Shouted a Watchman.

Raiden looked at the tattered piece of cloth through his visor, dread burning his cheeks. He clenched his teeth and ventured on.

"A helm too!"
"And Vince's bow!"

Junior Grenadier Eve gathered up these abandoned items and the group moved on down the passage when they hit a dead end.

"Rockfall Sir. It looks recent." Falconheart said as he strained to move the boulders.

"Stand back!" Raiden placed a few small charges to blast away at the rock.

After the dull thud of the explosions the guardsman clawed at the rubble and eventually made their way into the sealed cavern.

"Nooooooooooooooo! Vince!" Raiden fell to his knees.

Other guardsmen too dropped to their knees at the site of Valentine's broken and burned remains. The Grenadier Sergeant had been dead a while judging from the condition of his body or what was left of it. A charred and battered torso was all that remained of the charismatic Grenadier.

Raiden was dazed. He could hear the sobs and cries of his guardsmen but his limbs wouldn't respond as he tried to rally them. He had to steel himself. He couldn't let the men lose themselves in grief.

As he was about to push himself to his feet Raiden saw a twinkle flash from Vince's body. His ring! Vince's wedding ring! He took Vince's hand to remove the ring and as he did so Vince's Grenadier Sergeant's badge fell to the floor, it had been clasped in his fallen friend's hand when he died. Raiden tucked them carefully into his pack and rose to his feet.

"Gimbly... Gimbly!" Raiden shouted but even the bald veteran was in shock.

"Gimbly, wrap the Sarge up in a bedroll, he's coming with us!" The Grenadier nodded.
"Eve... Lass..." Raiden placed a hand on her shoulder. "Collect up his gear lass." She nodded tearfully.

Raiden looked around the sullen guardsmen, it was like the life had been sucked out of them.

"LINE UP! LINE UP!" Bellowed Raiden. He couldn't let them ponder on Vince's death, but even Sergeant Mela was slowed by grief.

"Mela... Mela! MA'AM! Line up." The Scout shuffled into line.
"Now then. I want the place cleared! Understand?"

A muffled response came back from the guardsman.

"I said do you understand! No prisoners! Nothing lives! Got it!"
"AYE SIR!" Came the response. He had them back! They were soldiers again.

The guardsman went from cavern to cavern exterminating the ratpeople. Regular Guardsman Dell nearly chopped a ratman in half with one great heft of his axe. But the gentle giant hacked again and again and again at the mutilated body.

"Dell! Dell!" It took all of Raiden's strength to haul his friend away and shake the sense back into him.

Raiden looked around his platoon. There was a murderous intent about the group. They wanted blood. They wanted vengeance. Gimbly had Vince's remains slung over his shoulder in a bedroll but still wielded his mace and shield as if they were straw toys.

Deeper and deeper went the Covians, slaying all before them. Sendrich and Darkmoon cursing as they hacked their way on. Raiden sent Mela to scout ahead into the deepest cavern where the undead dragons dwelled and on her return he ordered his men forward.

The huge skeletal frame roared it's defiance as the Covians entered, or was it the primal scream of fear. It clung to it's haven on the cave wall as Covian archers and mages let loose and Grenadiers hurled explosive potions. The beast fell at their feet, dead again. The Grenadier Corporal  smashed it's jaw with his mace. He lifted a tooth high into the air.

"FOR COVE!" He cried in bloodlust!
"FOR VINCE!" Came the response.
"FOR VINCE! FOR VINCE!" Raiden bit back the tears.

The rescue party fought it's way out into the daylight and returned to Cove solemnly. No amount of vengeance would fill the void of their lost comrade, Sergeant, friend. And now thoughts turned to his wife Kelly.

Raiden dismissed the men but no-one scarcely moved. So shocked they were. So blank their expressions. So disbelieving.

Mela and Raiden headed to the newly constructed Scout Tower to seek out Kelly. What words could they say? What comfort could they offer?

Kelly turned around as the door closed, Raiden and Mela entered.

"Hey! How did a Grenadier get in here so easily?" She grinned.

Kelly looked at them. What was wrong?

"Kelly... Kelly... Take a seat lass." Raiden said at last.
"No. I'll stand... What's wrong?"
Raiden looked at Mela, her lip trembled and a tear escaped her eyes.
"There's no easy way to say... Vince has been killed in action." Raiden said solemnly.
"We recovered his body this eve... I am truly sorry lass."

Kelly slumped against the wall and slid to the floor as if poleaxed. Raiden and Mela rushed to her side. The Officer Cadet rocked back and forth then burst into uncontrollable floods of tears. Mela consoled her as best she could.

Raiden reached into his pack and pulled out Vince's wedding ring.

"Here lass. His ring."

Kelly sniffled and took the ring with a forlorn smile that broke Raiden's heart, before burying her head again in Mela's arms.

He could bear it no longer. Raiden got up and made to leave. Only when he had left the Scout Tower for the solitude of the woods did he let -his- tears fall.

*Signed*

Raiden, Grenadier Corporal.

[ooc note]Thank you to everyone who turned up to make this event possible. I hope you enjoyed it and my apologies if i missed you off the attendance list - post a note below and I will add you to the roster. It's one of the few reports i have done in the 3rd person so i hope you enjoy - Raiden

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

qom_riyadh
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 07:52:27 pm »

The saddest news on Valentine's death spread within Cove with a speed of a lightning. Qom was sitting in his workshop, when he heard a loud knocking on the door.

- Enter! - shouted Qom from above his paperwork. The door opened silently and Qom saw his herald and guard, Ellis. Most of the time he wasn't speaking at all, so his sudden visit inside Qom's office was something unexpected.
- Pardon meh, mistah Riyadh... The town crier just left, he bring some news. Bad news, meh musts admit - said Ellis with somewhat effort.
- What news, dammit?
- Erm, the rescue mission returned, mistah Riyadh, and they have found mister Valentine...
- Vince! That's great! I was worrying where is he alone for such long time. Where was he? - Qom asked with noticeably better mood
- Somewhere near Ilizhaner, or something like zat. But... - Ellis halted his voice
- C'mon, don't have whole day to listen to you!
- They have found him dead, mistah Riyadh...
Ellis was still standing there talking, but Qom wasn't listening. Hearing the word 'dead' he felt whole his body freezing. Riyadh faced death several times, saw few dead bodies, not to mention that he also killed some bandits in his younger days, but death of Vince was something... something so unexpected... Second after a second he could hear that his heart was beating louder and louder, deeper and deeper... Qom felt some kind of weird pressure, focused on area of his heart, stomach and ribs... He felt like this only once - when he understood that he had lost  love of his life, Kath'er'eena.

The sun was setting down, and Qom was sitting there without moving, deep in sorrow and memories of Vince. But, in fact, there was something moving slightly in the small room of Qom's workshop.

A single tear, slowly running down his cheek...

[OOC] Great report Raiden, and great job everyone. [/OOC]

Samuel West
Regular
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Beasting will continue untill morale improves!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:53:06 pm »

ooc: Great report mate, goo event too

Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 01:34:24 am »

Mela stared down at the mangled body of what was once Vince Valentine her throat and stomach tightening immensely. Stumbling back slightly Mela slumped against the cold even sharp cave wall, the jagged rocks digging into her back slightly.

"What..?.. A grenadier.. ..Grenadiers don't die." she heard the slightly muffled voices of the soldiers around her saying. Though it was as good as gibberish to her. Looking around slowly her eyes flooded with warm salty tears as Scout Sergeant desperately tried to to shake herself out of mourning.

Raiden made things worse, his sadness deepening the wound. Gimbly shuffled forward and moved Vince slowly onto a bedroll, Mela could have sworn that even though her eyes were blurred that Gimbly was crying too..

"Everyone line up.." Raiden bellowed, his anger and upset clear in his tone. People moved, but slowly all except Mela.

"Mela...SERGEANT..MELA!"
she looked up and wiped the tears from her eyes. Slowly walking over to the line she stood in with the soldiers and started down. She couldn't suck it in, not today.. not now.

The men cheered as Raiden spoke, his words fueled with anger and hate for the inhabitants of the Cave. It was blurred to Mela though, only one line caught her attention...

"No prisoners! Nothing lives! Got it!"
Looking up at that Mela roared loudly with the other guardsmen and loaded her crossbow with several of her sharpest bolts. Just what he said.. nothing lives, but she was going to make it as painful as possible.

Charging out behind the rest of the men Mela spotted a mage trying to hide himself behind a small rock. Sneering she pull back the latch  on her crossbow and fired two bolts swiftly, one at each leg. It shrieked in pain and fell on its front but the rat had no time to move itself away as Mela's boot began repeatedly slamming down on its head.
She didn't care for the blood which splatted up her nice clean uniform and she didn't care that the rat had died minutes ago, with one last kick she moved on ever keeping to the glum shadows in the Cave following the blood thirsty Covians.

Noticing she was missing Raiden called Mela out, and she stepped from the rubble of a nearby cart.

"Can you Scout the cave ahead ma'am?"
he asked, she simply nodded somberly and moved into the shade. Returning only minutes later with a report on what lived below. Lizards and even a great Skeletal Dragon felt the Covians wraith as they hurled explosive after explosive and fired bolt after bolt.

As most things in the cave were dead the Covians lined up outside. Mela squinted slightly as the sun attacked her eyes. After Raiden's small speech Mela took he line, it was her time to have her say.. and only one person.. aside from Vince was on her mind - Kelly.

"As sad as it is.." Mela's voice trembled slightly and she looked down briefly to wipe her eyes
 "I don't want any of you to mention what we've seen today to Kelly until me and Raiden have talked to her." Of course everyone agreed. Drawing in a deep breath and looking the somber Covian soldiers head on she raised her tone about...

"One last time... FOR VINCE!!!" and then came the reply 'FOR VINCE!! FOR VINCE!! FOR VINCE AND COVE!" forcing a small smile Mela handed the line back to Raiden and they were promptly dismissed.

Back in the Scout Cabin..

Biting back tears Mela entered the scout Cabin, Raiden following shortly behind her. Neither of them had said anything on the journey over, they didn't have too.. this was going to be difficult for the both of them.

"Kelly!" Mela called out her voice quivering and her body shaking lightly.. "KELLY ARE YOU BACK?" only moments later did Kelly step into the meeting room. She looked exhausted from her trip.. Mela didn't want to tell her, Kelly didn't deserve this.. Mela couldn't tell her.

She cupped her hand over her mouth and looked down slowly, her leather clad body quivering as she sobbed to herself.

"Mel.. whats wrong?" Kelly sounded worried. The Sergeant didn't want to look up. No reply came from either of them.

"Feck sake whats WRONG?"
The Cadet asked..

"Kelly.. Its Vince.." Raiden looked directly at her, but it wasn't hard to tell this was hurting him just as much.

"He was killed in action.." It went silent.. Looking up at Kelly, Mela dried her eyes on her sleeve.

Dropping back against the wall Kelly slide down tears welling up in her eyes, until finally she burst into floods of tears. Mela moved closer and wrapped her arms around Kelly tightly as Raiden handed something small and glistening over. It was his wedding ring.

(OOC: One of the most emotional and amazing events I have ever been to. Thank you everyone who went for making it so and thank you to Raiden for doing it. We'll miss good old Vince!)

Vince Valentine
Cove Command
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Carl Hammond - Detective

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 07:26:31 am »

I'm sure Mister Valentine would be most touched that so many of his friends would go to his aid.

*Signed*
  Sunset Dubrey, Commoner

[OOC: A perfect way to end it Raiden, and some excellent point of view stories everyone Smiley
I've enjoyed playing Vince so very much, and hope he's been fun to be around too.
Of course I'll still be around as Sunset and Carl, as Vince might say Ye don't get rid o' me that easily! I'm sure old Vince would thank you all for putting up with his crap jokes and awful singing for so long Tongue :OOC]

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length