Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 06:43:04 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  A Watchman's Price
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Watchman's Price  (Read 1605 times)
Jon Trent
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:07:56 am »

I stood, watching from the shadows. I seem to spend more time wearing their cloak now than ever. Watching, waiting for someone to appear... And watching and hoping that someone doesn't.

I got my wish this morn'. Not a sign of a single guard... Or officer so early. I stepped from the doorway, the winter sun stinging my eyes a little as I unhooked the axe from my belt and checked my pack.

Promotion was close... Or so the Corporal had told me. But i needed to amass 10,000 coins for the coffers! I send most of my pay home to my folks how can I fulfill such a task? No comrades to help me. There was no way I could carry all that loot alone.

I pondered darkly about the task in hand, then my mind wandered to ponder darkly still.

Gems!

They fetch a pretty penny. A pack full of gems and I'll have my 10,000 coins for sure. I tugged the book from my pack and headed to the dungeon of Shame.

Shame... It suited my mood. The pretty half elf Scout had been so nice to me... Her words so kind... But the damning words inside my head drowned out her kindness. My mood was as dark as the cavern that I entered.

Bolts cost money, which i had little enough of anyway and my axe had just been sharpened so that would be my preferred weapon for this mission.

Coin for the coffers - 10,000

I stalked rock monsters for hours, chopping them down like lumber to reveal the gems encrusted inside. Smashing them to pieces but still the emptiness remained. Nothing could fill the void inside. Even with my pack overflowing and my blade blunted, muscles burning and sore I felt incomplete.

The cavern was empty and cold. Nothing stirred... Nothing was left but the drip of water far off. I made my way out as hungry for conflict as when i had entered.

I skulked through the alleyways of the capital to find a jewellers to give me a fair price for my horde. And with a note for the money I headed back to Cove to withdraw the funds there and place my debt in the coffers.

Then back to the shadows... Back to the void inside...

JT- Jon Trent, Watchman.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 10:41:36 am by Jon Trent » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length