Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:36:02 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  A Pilgrimage to the Badlands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Pilgrimage to the Badlands  (Read 2527 times)
Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2005, 06:44:48 pm »

(Mikael)

On receiving a rather odd looking pigeon, sent from the Grenadier Ryan Greystone earlier this morn, I set out from the church and inclined my passage towards the militia barracks. The note told me little, only that he was organising a quest of sorts and that my presence would be of help.

On arriving at the barracks, I was quickly greeted by the stuttering and stumbling grenadier; I shall have to keep an eye on that one, he seems to hold a guilty conscience. If I find his heart is not pure before the eyes of our gracious Avatar, I shall recommend him to brother Hugo for immediate correction.

Joined by a full host of militia, along with Khaelith and an unknown archer, Ryan began his brief.

He spoke of some rich old man, recently deceased, whom behind him had left a great sum of money. With no next of kin, one could only assume that this coin had been left behind at his home, a home apparently set fast in the middle of the Badlands. A foul place, one where even the Avatar's eyes do not look without an accompanying grimace; who would know what terrible opponents were lying in wake. However the promise of such riches could not go unnoticed! I quickly made a point to the one Greystone what aid such wealth could grant the church, to my surprise his reaction made it seem as if this was not his plan all along! Purification was drawing nearer by the day for this one...

Without much delay we set off. Our passage first brought us into some strange jungle habitat, there the humidity made it difficult for one to even breathe, let alone fight and murky swamp waters hampered our glorious pilgrimage.

With the Avatar's aid we finally escaped the vicious jungle landscape and came upon a bridge, passing over a great ravine in the land. Crossing quickly, we were confronted by a great volcano, its vast crater spilling molten rock across the land as we passed by. Over the years, eruption after eruption had turned the surrounded area into a desert, devoid of life, teeming with evil. Gripping tight my blade and shield I ushered our group move forward, who could know what foul deities hold sway over such a barren wasteland.

Encountering little other than a few scorpions, imps and elementals I was beginning to think my fears about greater foes inhabiting this land were thankfully incorrect. However our troupe were soon greeted by the image of un-humanoid figures on the horizon; half snake half human, by the Avatar, Ophidians!

In seconds they were upon us, driven mad for the chance of human blood. We held well however and slowly began advancing through the mass of reptilian flesh, hacking left and right at slithering forms, ichor spraying in all directions.
After what seemed like hours of fighting, we fell upon a large mansion in the middle of the Ophidian scourge. The apparent home of this ‘Edmund’. We entered with haste, still chased by the most foolish of Ophidian knights and warriors. One and all were quickly cut down as we began exploring the house for any sign of the money.

In one of the rooms, some sort of dining area, we found a treasure chest filled with all sorts of junk along with a note. Its mocking contents informed us that this man’s riches had all been donated away in the last pitiful days of his existence. He then proceeded to advise us that searching for riches was not the way forward, and that we should devote ourselves to finding wisdom in love. Idiot creature. A man who had revelled in each and every temptation and forbidden pleasure dared to speak himself wise!

Fighting our way free of the cursed place we headed back to the barracks and what little loot was found from the ophidians was shared out. I was confident that everyone’s share would be saved for mass tithing on Sunday.

]
[url]http://img163.echo.cx/my.php?image=fallinattheend0pk.png[/url]
[/url]

A disappointing pilgrimage but we must acknowledge the wise ways of the Avatar, there would be a lesson for everyone. Greed only leads to evil.

Signed:

Squire, Mikael Orcreft
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 09:01:54 pm by Gregor Eason » Logged

Gregor Eason
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 10:42:31 pm »

Excellent report, Squire. T'is a shame nay treasure could be sought for the Church coffers. But, alas, perhaps the old man's wisdom was right.

But a donation towards aiding birds that are afraid of flying?! Pfft!!

Commander Eason,
Cove Militia & Baronship Council
Lothar
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 03:17:09 pm »

What is that?! *Looks at the picture* A squire of the church falling in line of a guardsman? How did he bribe ye?!

Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 05:21:11 pm »

Not at all. I merely recognised the wisdom that he held a map and I did not. *nods*

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length