Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 07:19:13 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Responce to Cove Not Forgotten
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Responce to Cove Not Forgotten  (Read 5687 times)
Takeamada
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

Death be for dishonor!!! Long Live the Baron!!!!

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Thanks for the information.  I have now read and better understanding.

And as for the “A piece of role-play history that has been well established for years, and is not subject to change by the disapproval of self-admitted "first-timers" whose understanding of the religion is a self-constructed background story for their character.”   Maybe someone should be a bit more helpful when a new player comes along to guild him or her in character development!!! Instead of jumping down their throats!  

You seem to have a great knowledge of the game, not all do and it takes time.  So we do the best we can with the information at hand.  I’m sorry I’m not up to par with you on all the history, but am willing to learn to make the role-playing more interesting.

As for the Covian Traits:  If born in Cove I would surly have them.  Not all characters are born in Cove; they come from other areas and lands.  As for respecting and honoring the Baron, well that is an individual concern, as for me (my character) if he didn’t respect him he would not have moved to Cove, and surly would not have joined his army!!  

I have been in BoC a few months without seeing anything about or for the church, then Wham!!! 0-60 in 30 seconds…  An abrupt way of learning history don’t you think?  And with more experienced players present, you see the reaction.  So how is a new player to react when he sees this?  Its role-playing, you go with the information and actions taking place around you with the information at hand.  

So now I know better, I hope I can make corrections to past events so that it is more in tune to how it should be!

Title: Re: Cove is not forgotten!
Post by: Siegfried on May 27, 2008, 10:33:57 am

[OOC: Without decending into open debate, all I shall say is that the Church experienced last night is, and always has been the face of 'Avatarian Faith' on the Europa shard ever since it's birth in the Guardsmen Militia of Yew and its spread into the Baronship of Cove. A piece of role-play history that has been well established for years, and is not subject to change by the disapproval of self-admitted "first-timers" whose understanding of the religion is a self-constructed background story for their character.

Information regarding the Church has always been readily available from the community wikipedia: http://wiki.moongates.org/Avatarian_religion

As well as our own website, which no member of the Baronship of Cove can claim to deny knowledge of:
Quote from: Roleplay - http://sugeworld.com/boc/roleplay.php
Covian Traits

These are a few traits and characteristics that Covians have developed following the Orc occupation of their town, and the full recovery accomplished by the Baronship.

* Covians, even peasants, are hardy and tough.
* Covians respect and honour the Baron.
* Covians are faithful Avatarians once more!
* Covians accept Dwarves, Elves, and some other creatures.
* Covians hate and persecute Drow.

Quote from: Religion - http://sugeworld.com/boc/religion.php
Times have changed, once more..

Now the Church returns, darker and more sinister than ever before. It forms a menacing grasp of power over the Covian people, and beyond. The Baronship of Cove is, once again, an Avatarian community.

Literature is currently being prepared that will give players an indication of where they stand in relation to the Church and will be issued/posted in the coming weeks. Until then, players should at the very least understand that the Church is not a minor element of role-play, and publically challenging them never ends well.]

Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:41:21 pm »

Thanks for the information.  I have now read and better understanding.

And as for the “A piece of role-play history that has been well established for years, and is not subject to change by the disapproval of self-admitted "first-timers" whose understanding of the religion is a self-constructed background story for their character.”   Maybe someone should be a bit more helpful when a new player comes along to guild him or her in character development!!! Instead of jumping down their throats!  

You seem to have a great knowledge of the game, not all do and it takes time.  So we do the best we can with the information at hand.  I’m sorry I’m not up to par with you on all the history, but am willing to learn to make the role-playing more interesting.

As for the Covian Traits:  If born in Cove I would surly have them.  Not all characters are born in Cove; they come from other areas and lands.  As for respecting and honoring the Baron, well that is an individual concern, as for me (my character) if he didn’t respect him he would not have moved to Cove, and surly would not have joined his army!!  

I have been in BoC a few months without seeing anything about or for the church, then Wham!!! 0-60 in 30 seconds…  An abrupt way of learning history don’t you think?  And with more experienced players present, you see the reaction.  So how is a new player to react when he sees this?  Its role-playing, you go with the information and actions taking place around you with the information at hand.  

So now I know better, I hope I can make corrections to past events so that it is more in tune to how it should be!

It's always been a problem for the community, mostly because it is believed that it would be "too much" for a new member to learn every inside and turn there is in the guild and its history. Though this creates ignorance (to ignore) towards the education of newer members - but surely every new member gets a tour of the Baronship and knew that there was a church and could imagine what a church set in medieval times would be like? With that said, it is important to remember keep in mind what Shadwell said: that when entering the realm of Cove one should leave one's norms and beliefs at the door.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:47:37 pm by Jack Sinist (•̪●) » Logged

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Samuel West
Regular
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Beasting will continue untill morale improves!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:47:50 pm »

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but did the Church post say that if you roleplay a overtly [Obviously] anti-church charecter you will be removed from the guild? Or does it just meen that there will be IC consequences such as loosing a hand?

By the way, Tom sort of supports the church....

Hoagie
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Actually a Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:12:05 pm »

Overt IC displays against the Church will be met with IC consequences. The more severe the attack against the Church, the more severe the consequences. This doesn't mean you'll be booted for insulting a clergymember or something, but bear in mind before attempting to overthrow the Church or something, it may be difficult to roleplay an urn. Wink

*Signed*
Hoagie Grayner, Commander
⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ The Covian Seal ⚔ Order of Recruitment ⚔ Minoc Liberation Campaign ⚔ Kaldor Line Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

Samuel West
Regular
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Beasting will continue untill morale improves!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:14:15 pm »

So IC assualts on the church may lead to IC Hanging which wil lead to IC Death which will be the same as being booted?

Siegfried
Templar Preceptor
Covian Church
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:23:24 pm »

Literature is currently being researched, re-written and re-published to educate current guild members, and new ones to come about the teachings of the Church that have circulated Europa since 1999.

Please keep an eye on this thread (http://cove.fantasyworld.nl/forum/index.php/topic,10497.0.html) for literature updates.

Note that the above thread is for backup purposes only; most literature will soon be readily available within the library.

Signed

Father Siegfried,
Templar Preceptor

"Amidst the chaos and confusion, only one thing is for certain; no one is safe from the noose!"
Takeamada
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

Death be for dishonor!!! Long Live the Baron!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 04:52:19 am »

Toto!  I don't think were in Kansas anymore!!!!!! Shocked

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:06:51 am »

So IC assualts on the church may lead to IC Hanging which wil lead to IC Death which will be the same as being booted?
IC assaults against the Church are no different than IC assaults against officers, enlisted men or civilians. Only the style of punishment will differ.

If you step out of line as a guardsman you expect to be given laps or push ups etc. If the offence is more serious then menial tasks set and or demotion. If you make an attempt on an officer's life the consequences become more grave.

Just because it is the "Church" doesn't make things any different than if the offence was committed against a member of the "Army" or "Citizenry". IC actions have IC consequences, which has always been the case.

Look at Delcarakdur, he'd be Commander if he hadn't been demoted so often! Cheesy

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Hoagie
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Actually a Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 09:58:08 am »

Look at Delcarakdur, he'd be Commander if he hadn't been demoted so often! Cheesy

And he'd still have a hand if he hadn't messed with the Church. See what we're getting at? Wink

*Signed*
Hoagie Grayner, Commander
⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ The Covian Seal ⚔ Order of Recruitment ⚔ Minoc Liberation Campaign ⚔ Kaldor Line Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

Kelly Sanderson
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

By Jove and Sheeshy McGee!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:42:56 am »

The main point is that we're roleplaying.

And the fact that we're roleplaying means the following: Everyone is afraid of the Church, whether they are for or against them. The Church (especially templars) are quite big and scary, and Commanding Officers will allow them and obey when Church members ask to take the lead of an event or even stop what they are doing to do something else.

Please keep in mind that there are still people PLAYING Church members. They are not attempting to run around and make you do things just for the hell of it.

If you want to remain unharmed, the IC thing to do would be to keep quiet, or even just quietly protest behind the Church's back. Be imaginative! As I said before, it's supposed to be fun and something we can all enjoy.

About characters being killed off by the Church: You are your own person, therefore it is you who decides what happens to your character. If the Church is picking on you for something you have not done IC, then you could protest if they said they were about your character, because that's just mean. It happened to me once, and I had to party them and ask for a more leniant punishment. They will oblige.

That was back in Grd, however, so the people were different. And I suppose people just get carried away sometimes.

However, if you HAVE done something IC, you have now been warned that your character openly sinning in public or doing something which will get found out could perhaps result in your character's death!

But in answer to the killing off characters question... I'm sure if you wanted to keep your character and it was an accident why they were getting killed, party the Church member in question and talk to them about it. That's if you want to keep said character Cheesy

-Rach/Kelly.

John Dell:
My ultimate aim is to nag someone to the brink of total blindness and hate that they kill me.

John Dell:
It's for me like for you and pies; if one is staring you in the face you just can't leave it alone.
Mr Bloodaxe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 01:30:19 pm »

And the fact that we're roleplaying means the following: Everyone is afraid of the Church, whether they are for or against them. The Church (especially templars) are quite big and scary, and Commanding Officers will allow them and obey when Church members ask to take the lead of an event or even stop what they are doing to do something else.

Why would we be affraid of something we have yet to see? From Ludwik's perpective he has never seen a church member in Cove and he has been around for what? Around 3 months, so for them to feel scared they need to see consequence of their actions. Perhaps if get some people to create some new characters (I will be willing to do so after tomorrow), get them to behave in a manor which the church disproves of and then punish them. Then, now there is fear of punishment, I would agree with the above statement. Make a big event out of it.

I appologise for the way I acted when i first saw the church but I was not in the mood and after tomorrow I am free at last.

Ludwik Bloodaxe, Junior Guardsman
Fredrik Bloodaxe, Citizen
Kelly Sanderson
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:48:59 pm »

What I mean is that the Church is something to be fearful of, even if you are just being introduced to it. I reckon you should all have a read of the stuff that Siegfried is presently writing for the Church. You might get more of an idea of it then.

John Dell:
My ultimate aim is to nag someone to the brink of total blindness and hate that they kill me.

John Dell:
It's for me like for you and pies; if one is staring you in the face you just can't leave it alone.
Mr Bloodaxe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 01:51:14 pm »

Ludwik has not been presented with that literature IG, therefore it is not IC knowledge as far as I am concerned.

Ludwik Bloodaxe, Junior Guardsman
Fredrik Bloodaxe, Citizen
Kelly Sanderson
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 02:12:07 pm »

Yes. But I don't think you understand.

Before you joined BoC, you were told to read the website. On that website, there are full sections describing the religious beliefs of Cove and it's culture, which tell you all about the Church.

In addition, the fact that we HAVE a church in Cove is a bit of a giveaway. Wink

If Ludwik has any sense, he'll lay low until he does find out more about the Church. I doubt they'll bug him too much until then.

John Dell:

John Dell:
Siegfried
Templar Preceptor
Covian Church
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:04 pm »

Ludwik has not been presented with that literature IG, therefore it is not IC knowledge as far as I am concerned.

Then as Sergeant Sanderson suggests, lay your intentions low until the literature that is being posted within the Church boards is available in the library.

Alternative, these backup posts can be deemed as 'the originals' posted somewhere within the Church, as the Chuch board is no more 'out of character' than the events board we use to know what is happening.

Signed

Father Siegfried,
Templar Preceptor

"Amidst the chaos and confusion, only one thing is for certain; no one is safe from the noose!"
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length