Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:28:48 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Element boards
| |-+  The Church (Moderator: Altair De Nostra)
| | |-+  [COMPLETE] Undertaking Pilgrimage: Kas Valentine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: [COMPLETE] Undertaking Pilgrimage: Kas Valentine  (Read 7930 times)
Siegfried
Templar Preceptor
Covian Church
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:07:54 am »

Arcanist Valentine,

I doth hope the nature of this task strikes home to thee how unwise it is to go against the Church, as well as I hope the burning wounds upon thy back dost, also.

In order to seek redemption and forgiveness for the sins thou hast committed, thou art hereby ordered to undertake a pilgrimage to the seven shrines of Britannia, commencing in a weeks time on 8th September, following the Moot.

During this pilgrimage, thou shalt be permitted to take only the bare necessities of which I hath already gathered for thee; thou art not to seek hospitality or refuge anywhere near civilisation, nor art thou to seek aid from anyone but Avatar through prayer. Thou shalt leave everything behind, and take only what is given to thee by myself; this includes your arcane tome and herbs.

Thou shalt be labelled as a Pilgrim for the duration of this task, and thy rank shalt be returned to thee following thy return, provided reports art sent back of the journey to each shrine by pigeon for this notice board.

Pray Avatar hath faith in thy ability, Arcanist; for given thy recent conduct, I hath none.

Conditions

*A report, including pictures of each journey must be posted below in order to succeed in this task.
*One picture in each report must show you saying the mantra associate with each shrine.
*You may not interact with the world during the pilgrimage (including Guild Chat use); this is a lone vigil.
*You will be stripped naked and have all possessions confiscated upon receiving your pilgrim kit.
*Your in-game title will be changed to 'Pilgrim' until you return.
*At least three real-life days must pass before you may return; regardless of whether or not you have completed the task.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:38:42 pm by Siegfried » Logged

Signed

Father Siegfried,
Templar Preceptor

"Amidst the chaos and confusion, only one thing is for certain; no one is safe from the noose!"
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:26:58 pm »

Father,

I am reminded daily of my error of judgement when I can no longer sleep another hour due to the scars left on my back and their associated discomfort. However despite this I will not hesitate in undertaking the pilgrimage you have outlined and will do so to the best of my, albeit reduced, ability.

I seek only to prove to the Church that regardless of what I may have thought at the time, I now realise that my insubordination achieved nothing.

May the Avatar guide my journey and keep harm at bay.

Signed in curly refined handwriting,
Regular Guardsman Kas Valentine.

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 03:13:50 pm »

A scroll is delivered to the Church......

"Father,

I have begun my pilgrimage by heading directly from Cove along the northern roads to Compassion desert. I respect that the shrine residing within these sandy dunes is not respected or honored by the Avatar but nevertheless I thought I should pay it a visit.

It was a trial to negotiate through the local wildlife, scorpions of immense size and elementals of pure sand hounded my every turn. Thankfully the worst injury I suffered here was from a billowing cloud of dust which was thrown into my eyes, temporarily blinding and causing me to stumble.

Blinking the dirt clear I eventually made it to the island where the shrine to Compassion is stationed. With a short prayer I unsheathed the club you saw fit to provide me with and set about the task of bashing the ankh with all the energy I could muster.

The symbol was barely harmed but I felt better for going against it in name of the Church, were I able to cast any enchantments I'd have set the whole island ablaze, but I cannot so I trust this improvisation is sufficient. After my righteous exertion I vacated the desert and set up camp in the woods nearby.

My meal was of rat meat and left a horrid taste in my mouth but will fill my belly for the duration of my next journey. I have spent the evening studying my map of the world and made the decision to head northwest to the shrine of Sacrifice. I will rest a while longer and then set off in that direction.

Praise to the Avatar for his protection thus far.

Signed in cheap ink with countless blotches,
Pilgrim Kas Valentine."

The parchment is marked at the bottom with the seal of the desert crossroads.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:30:19 pm by Kas Valentine » Logged

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 06:41:14 pm »

A tattered note is delivered to the Church....

"Father,

I have reached the shrine of Sacrifice and have taken the opportunity to sit down and pen you this report detailing how I got here.

Setting off from my camp close to the desert I took the roads south, following signposts pointing towards Vesper. The dirt tracks were relatively quiet and despite the trouble that had led to this pilgrimage I was in fairly high spirits. I'd eaten, I'd slept well and my mind was focused on the completion of my duties. From time to time I was forced to run from bandits and trolls since my skill with the club could not defeat these foes, but all in all I was blessed with safety.

This situation did not last long.

As I approached the outer perimeter of Vesper the clouds gathered and I was pelted with a heavy shower of rain. I pulled my hood tight and hugged myself for warmth, absolutely determined to reach the shrine. Clearly my luck had turned since the next obstacle I encountered was my banning from any centers of civilization. I could not simply walk through Vesper and cut short my journey, so instead I found myself gazing into the murky waters of one of their nearby rivers.

Tugging the robe's cords tight on my hood and waist I sunk into the water and swam across to the opposite shore. I was cold, I was soaked, but I was back on dry land. Running a hand over my face and stopping for a brief prayer to offer my thanks at not being swept away I continued north.

My progress through the woods and lands leading towards Sacrifice was inhibited slightly by the dampness of my robe, but I soldiered on regardless. I lost my bearings for a time and was sorely tempted to question one of the wandering healers about where to go, but I had paitence and followed the nearest stream.

This turned out to be the right choice as before long I could see the structure of the shrine in the distance, the stone pillars flanking each of it's side clearly visible through the branches of the trees. I increased my pace and broke through to the clearing, making an absent sign of the ankh as I approached. Bowing my head and kneeling before Sacrifice I chanted the mantra and offered a prayer in respect of the fact I had actually achieved my goal.

Once I'd finished I unrolled my bedroll, entrusted this report to a local woman who frequented the area and put up for the night. My next port of call will be Honesty on Dagger Isle, I do not relish the fabled cold climate of the island but nevertheless I will make my way there.

May the breath of the Avatar fill my sails and bring me to arctic shores.

Signed with faint pencilled handwriting,
Pilgrim Kas Valentine."

An additional signature is written at the bottom of the document.....

Domibella, Naturalist.

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 02:50:29 pm »

A water damaged letter is delivered to the Church.....

"Father,

I awoke yesterday morning, wrapped in my bedroll and nestled behind the ankh of Sacrifice, to the sound of birdsong. I thought that this was perhaps a symbol that my prayers over the course of the pilgrimage so far were being heeded and I was not alone. Grabbing a quick breakfast of local berries I put a spring in my step and headed for the coast, eager to reach the next shrine.

Naturally I was going to need a vessel of some description to reach Honesty so I started to wander up and down the shore near Sacrifice. It was an hour or so before I managed to find a ship, an old one at that, whether blessing or coincidence I didn't question my luck. The gangplank had been left unattended so taking my time in case it decayed under my feet I tiptoed aboard.

Having long ago been abandoned I was forced to go about the duties of the tillerman myself, hoisting the rusty anchor, unfurling the sail and finally throwing my weight against the tiller itself to turn towards Dagger Isle. Thankfully the wind was in my favour and soon pushed the ship and I northwest.

The seas were mostly calm until we started to get within sight of the island, at which point small waves began to buffet my vessel and I was hard pressed to avoid various chunks of solid ice that floated on the surface. Furling the sail and dumping the anchor over the side I was successful in docking by the frosty coast, minus a sharp bump as we made landfall.

Snow and ice caressed my toes, running an immense shiver up my spine which reverberated throughout my entire body. If I were to reach the island shrine I was going to have to hurry, braving the weather and returning to my boat as swiftly as possible. Shielding my eyes from falling snowflakes I consulted the map and padded off towards the mountains, a trail of footprints left in my wake.

By the time I located the path into the mountains which led to Honesty I was freezing, my teeth would not stop chattering and my robe was spattered with white. I gratefully stepped into the small building, relishing the brief change in temperature the stone afforded my bare feet. Stuttering out the mantra I rubbed my arms and thighs to promote bloodflow and went once more into the blizzard, heading back to the coast.

The process of following my previous footsteps was inhibited slightly by the freshly fallen snow, but eventually I made it back to my creaking ship. Slowly and with frustration I cleared the deck of frost and headed back out to sea, hoping to reach warmer climates and prevent the onset on cold related illness.

With the assistance of my sextant I manoeuvred the ship towards Fire Island, passing some other sailors on the way to whom I entrusted this report, I hope it reaches you soon. According to the map the shrine of Humility is kept at one end of the next island so this is the next point of my quest.

So far the Avatar has placed water, weather and countless other dangers in my path but I continue to faith.

Signed with shakey handwriting,
Pilgrim Kas Valentine."

The paper is marked with stamps from the docks of Moonglow, Nu'jelm, Vesper and Cove.

Siegfried
Templar Preceptor
Covian Church
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:19:39 pm »

The Templar reaches to the keychain forever close on his belt in order to unlock the door to his office. Peering out into the study, where Friar Rutherford furiously scribbles to complete a journal, Siegfried closes the door quietly behind him. Taking a step forward, the sound of parchment crinkling comes from underfoot, and on looking down his eyes are drawn to two scrolls.

Picking them up carefully, he walks to his desk, wafting the cloak to one side before sitting down with a heavy sigh. For a moment or two he sat in silence, closing his eyes to consider the days events before sitting forward and beginning to unfurl the scrolls.

Resting an elbow on the stone table, and his chin in his palm as he read, Father Siegfried mumbled the words on the parchment to himself, squinting where ink blotches had obscured the writing.

"Only two shrines visited and yet he writes to me as a wounded pup... How doth he intend to brave the final five?"

Snarling to himself, the Templar rose and left his office, walking to stand before the wall mounted canvas of Britannia, narrowing his eyes in thought.

"Father?", quizzed Friar Rutherford, looking up from a pile of crumpled paper.

"Fetch me a map of the Fire Island.", Father Siegfried responded without faltering gaze.

The Friar nodded and rose from his study desk, as he approached the stairs his feet halted to comprehend the final words from the Templar.

"And summon the Wytch Hunters...", he spoke.

The obedient Friar nodded firmly with a creak, before continuing down the stairs.

[OOC: The above is out of character knowledge.]

Signed

Father Siegfried,
Templar Preceptor

"Amidst the chaos and confusion, only one thing is for certain; no one is safe from the noose!"
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 04:02:21 pm »

A page ripped from a journal is left on the Church steps....

"Father,

I write to you from the deck of my ship as we sail towards the island of Valor. I have visited Humility without incident and decided to sit down and write of my time there while I'm still graced with tropical weather.

As I described in my last report I took off from Dagger Isle bound for the renowned Isle of Fire, home of Hythloth and more importantly, Humility. My trembling was soon soothed by a warm and pleasant wind which in turn served to power my sails. Slipping down onto the deck I lay against the mast and reflected on my journey so far. I had swam through a river, braved a desert, escaped the attention of countless foul creatures, survived arctic temperatures and to some extent learned a little of sailing.

Did the Avatar appreciate my trials in his name...?
Did the Avatar send the revitalising winds as a gesture of good will...?
I did not know, all I knew was I should not become complacent.
I stood up and looked off to the horizon for any sign of land.

The skies and seas were clear and in time the peaks of Fire Isle became visible. I tied the sails back a little and was pleased when I noticed a reduction in speed. With a gentle application of pressure to the tiller the landing at this island was far smoother than the last. Dropping anchor and hopping over to shore I took a look around, what a pleasing sight I was presented with....

The air was thick and humid, exotic colourful parrots flew through the trees, I was in one of the famous jungles of Britannia's south seas.

Clapping my hands together happily I began to head west to some mountains where I believed the shrine of Humility to be. Despite the obvious benefits of the hot weather given my recent visit to Honesty I was soon sweating profusely as I worked through the underbrush. The flora here was very dense, some of the plants bearing huge flowers, others covered completely in thorns.

As I left the thicker area of jungle I caught my robe on one of these spiked brambles, tearing it and exposing my legs. With a sigh and a great deal of paitence I sat on a rock and cut the torn cloth away with my scissors. I could not risk tripping over the damaged robe, although my lower legs were no longer covered I knew from the map that the rest of my pilgrimage would be in temperate locales.

My trek was now flanked by mountains on either side, in some ways I was thankful of the protection they afforded but nevertheless they were very imposing and I admit at times I was very nervous.

Once the mountains were at my back I quickly discovered the shrine of Humility off to my right, in the shade of a giant tree. I found it apt that I arrived at the shrine slightly without my dignity due to the state of my robe. Wiping sweat from my face and pulling back my hood I addressed the ankh with much respect. In response to this offering, or so I assumed, I was set upon by a small family of rats. I dispatched each with my club and again spoke the mantra of Humility as apology.

Settling the hood over my face I lumbered back to my boat and slept for a short while on the deck. Afterwards I raised anchor and headed east to the entrance of the dungeon Hythloth. I had no intention of adventuring inside, instead passing this report to some warriors I found camped outside, apparently preparing to hunt for treasure.

They assured me they would get the letter to Cove if they survived the encounter, so I hope this ended up being the case. As I mentioned I am now on the way to Valor, I pray that I will be safe.

Signed in neat handwriting,
Pilgrim Kas Valentine."

The page is a little charred, with the odd splodge of what looks like blood.

Siegfried
Templar Preceptor
Covian Church
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 04:13:37 pm »

Friar Rutherford bundled through the Church doors with a map underarm and a tall man in tow.

"I have the map thou didst ask for, Father!" he exclaimed, causing the Templar to look up from the pulpit.

"Forget the Fire Isle.", he replied, much to the dismay of the Friar. Waving the new scroll in his hand, he spoke further, "He hath moved. Seek the harbour master, and request a ferry to the shrine of Valor..."

With that, the Friar nodded and hurried out of the Church, leaving the Templar in the presence of the lone man. The male reached up slowly and tipped his hat to briefly show his eyes before speaking...

"What would you have me do, Father?"

Within his helmet, the Templar smirked to himself.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:20:58 pm by Siegfried » Logged

Signed

Father Siegfried,
Templar Preceptor

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 04:24:14 pm »

A torn page is pinned to the chapel doors.....

"Father,

I have just docked at the shores of Valor, it appears to be a very small island and I can see the shrine itself from where I stand. However darkness is just beginning to fall so I am lighting my torch and will then attempt to head over. The jungle here is producing some very unfamiliar sounds.

The following handwriting is very haphazard.....

I am......poisoned.....a gigantic serpent leapt out.....shadows, sunk teeth into my arm. Stumbled towards Valor, feeling faint....barely keeping my balance. Mantra has been....

The quality of the handwriting gets worse....

.....mantra has been......

Night falling, wound changing colour, rest, I will rest.

Signed extremely roughly with the signature unfinished,
Pilgrim Kas Vale...."

A note has been penned at the bottom....

"Your pilgrim was on the verge of passing out when we found him, he declined all offers of assistance and refused to speak. He thrust this parchment at one of our number and we brought it to the inscribed address. Our apologies that we could not stay to give you it in person but we have our own business to attend."
- Society of Fisherman, Jhelom.

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 09:36:12 pm »

A large tropical leaf with words written in dried mud is delivered to the Church....

"Father,

Please excuse the basic nature of my correspondence but I have had a series of troubles that prevent the use of mere pen and paper. First and foremost I was bitten by a giant serpent and the venom from it's bite took hold of my system most rapidly. I seem to recall making it to the shrine and possibly writing you something to inform you of this, but my head is muggy and I cannot tell whether I imagined this or not.

I must have passed out somewhere in the north of the island, I seem to have managed to lay out my bedroll but after that I draw a blank.

The sanctuary of rest helped to purge the poison from my system but when I awoke my situation had not improved, quite the opposite, it had grown much much worse. I opened my eyes to find two men standing over me, one of them with a rather deadly looking scimitar pressed to my neck. They spoke with foreign accents, I can't really pinpoint exactly where from, but they were dressed in the manner of scoundrels so perhaps they were local privateers.

As I gained awareness of their intentions I tried to profess the humble nature of the task I had been sent upon. My cries fell on deaf ears. The two men stole my bag of implements and then proceeded to beat me senseless, even having the arrogance to spit in my face.

I remained on the island for two nights, eating local fruit which turned my stomach but held off the pangs of hunger. It has taken all of this time to recover some of my strength and thankfully my ship was still in the place I had left it. I have no sextant, I have no map so I sailed in the direction I assumed was northwest.

Since reaching land I have been camping in the shade of some large rocks, I have no idea where I am. In the morning I will try and find some local buildings, in the hope that one of them has a mailbox which I can slip this note into.

Times are dark and I question the will of the Avatar.

I hope that these are not my last words.

Signed in muddy fingered handwriting,
Pilgrim Kas Valentine."

A hasty wax seal is stamped at the bottom, indicating the origin of postage as somewhere on the south eastern coast of Britannia.

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 08:15:22 pm »

An old map with some scribbling on the back arrives at the chapel....

"Father,

As the sun rose this morning I discovered that the bruises from my encounter with the bandit's had migrated from yellow to deep shades of black and purple. Inspection of the puncture marks on my right arm revealed two puss filled sores which may need attention in the coming days. All of the wounds gave off a dull ache, disheartening me despite the beauty of the blazing sunrise.

Once more my thoughts were concerned with the Avatar....

Had I not sacrificed my safety and worldly belongings to become a pilgrim in his name...?
Had I not shown honesty in adhering to the restrictions of this journey?
Had my actions not shown a great deal of humility....?
Had I not displayed valor in striving to continue despite the odds?
Did he have good reason for my treatment...?

I massaged my thighs as I rolled these questions over in my head, working the life back into them and preparing for the day's exertion. Sitting there I wondered if perhaps the intentions of the Avatar weren't simply designed to break my spirit. Not so much a personal vendetta but a series of trials to see if I was worthy of performing acts in his name.

This flash of realisation did wonders for both my mental and physical well being, almost immediately I tugged myself to a standing position. Looking around the formation of rocks I had been sleeping under I found myself a stick to use as a crutch. You see my left leg was distinctly painful and I didn't want to chance putting too much weight on it, so with the support of the stick I managed a slow walk.

Now obviously, since the loss of my map, exactly where I was supposed to head was a serious problem. However I made the assumption that the wind had been kind and had taken my vessel (now abandoned) to the northwest. If this was true then I was somewhere to the far west of Jhelom. Casting my mind back to the map I remembered seeing an ankh symbol close by the town and so elected to follow the coast in that direction.

My hike progressed without incident, from time to time I would hear the calls of various animals issuing from the jungle, but thankfully none of them came to investigate. I had eaten many of the sickly berries before departing from Valor and I even kept a small supply within the folds of my robe, so food was not too much of a worry.

The need to quench my thirst and refresh my depleted energy was another story. My mouth was sticky and my lips cracked, if I didn't find fresh water soon I would have to rest for a good while. I started to look around for pools of water at the jungle edges, knowing the vegetation gave off a good deal of moisture which sometimes collected at their roots.

The first of the pools I found were polluted with algae, others with animal droppings but in due time I located a relatively clean one. Drinking deeply and splashing the water on my face the feeling of relief was immensely satisfying. Once I'd had my fill I took up my stick with a wince and got straight back to the matter at hand.

The grassy shores seemed to go on forever, I must have been travelling along one of the peninsula's that protrude from the southern edge of fair Britannia. I hummed a soft tune to myself as I carried on, remarking at the local buildings and pondering the choices of people that would actually choose to live out here. I got lost in my imagination and when I snapped back to reality I was padding through the sands of a small beach.

Off to the south I could see what I assumed to be Jhelom, I must have gone too far, I doubled back and headed in the opposite direction. Sweeping branches and plants aside with my free hand I entered the jungle, feline murmurings on all sides increasing my pace. I made my way towards what seemed to be an ivy covered wall. As I rounded the corner I could not help but smile....

I had found Honor.

After I had given tribute to the shrine I stood for a time, considering it and the trouble it had taken to get here. But alas, it had been a long day and I did not want to hang around to discover the source of the earlier purrs and growlings. I headed vaguely north until I came across a clearing.

Here I found a group of people digging, some pack horses waiting nervously nearby. Creeping over to the animals I scooped up a discarded map. I had no interest in finding out what the strangers were looking for (or perhaps concealing) I simply scribbled out this report, addressed it and slipped it back where I had found it.

With any luck you now read the words I inscribed on the back of the parchment, I will write again soon.

Signed with exotic coloured handwriting,
Pilgrim Kas Valentine."

The tale is covered with grubby fingerprints and smells faintly of horse.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:20:32 pm by Kas Valentine » Logged

Siegfried
Templar Preceptor
Covian Church
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 09:34:22 pm »

The Templar leans back in the large stone chair, lowering his arm, and thus the report to the desk upon having read it fully. His eyes darted up from the cold surface to the Friar who delivered the report stood before him. The Friar straightened his back.

"Father?", the Friar inclined.

"The wytch questions the will of Avatar, one wouldst assume a man in his position wouldst be well aware of the grave sins that bringeth him such grim tidings.", Father Siegfried looked back down to the table, sighing deeply.

"...Father?", the Friar inclined once again, to be responded by a dismissive hand gesture from the Preceptor.

"Nothing, Friar. Any more and he may grow suspicious. I shalt await his report of Spirituality, and see if such wouldst be a revelation unto him, that he may realise and accept why Avatar hath fury against him...", the Templar's gaze wandered to the window on his left overlooking the coast of Vesper.

It became clear to the Friar, who had now taken his leave, that the Preceptor had bigger issues to concern himself with closer to home.

Signed

Father Siegfried,
Templar Preceptor

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 05:36:08 pm »

An advertisement for a shopping establishment is sent to the church, the words crossed out and replaced with familiar writing and a few sketches.....

"Father,

Since my departure from Honor I've had quite a hard time trying to work out exactly where in Britannia I am. The fact that I'm still in thick jungle is of little solace since this is the case for most of the southern portion of the realm. Knowing there was nothing at my back but ocean I decided to continue going north.

My path through the rainforests featured numerous encounters with fierce animals. If I was not retreating from the jaws of an alligator I was fending off irritating mongbats or hiding to allow giant serpents to pass by. With this in mind I was quite pleased when I came across an entrance into the mountains.

Did this lead to a tunnel? A safe passage to the other side of the impassable peaks...? Filled with hope I stepped inside.

Much to my dismay I was immediately plunged into absolute darkness, I couldn't see my own hands let alone the opposing end of the cavern. I swallowed my uncertainty and stepped forth into the cave, perhaps it would get lighter the further I went...? Suddenly I heard what sounded like a voice off to my left, matched by what appeared to be a response on my right. I froze, not knowing whether my mind was playing tricks, after all I hadn't had much sleep and it was very dark.

A deep menacing cackle instantly answered all my questions, I was in a very bad place and if I didn't leave quickly I'd probably remain there. I spun on my heels and hopped towards the general area of the archway, pain shooting up my leg as I went. Tumbling out into the daylight I found myself engulfed in magical fire. I struggled to maintain composure as I extinguished the flames with a swift hand.

If I'd hesitated a moment longer I fear the magnitude of the spell would have been greater and quite possibly the ending of my life. I never saw those responsible for this aggression but given the delicious glee their laugh expressed, I don't think I ever want to.

With a deep breath and a firm grasp on my trusty stick I hobbled away from the foul place, this time keeping to the mountains. I walked for a long while and passed any number of peculiar buildings, some built for obvious mining purposes others with no distinguishable use. The rocky ridge I was following started to curl westwards and it was here that I found a welcome landmark.

The towering doorway to Destard, home of the dragonkin.

I now know where I am, to a certain extent at least, I am resting here for a short while and then I intend to circle around to the central forests. My knowledge of the shrines is minimal at best but I'm pretty sure Spirituality is shaded by oak, ash and pine. I shall doubtless find out in a few hours.

I will not shirk the duty of the Avatar !

Signed in fragrant inked handwriting,
Pilgrim Kas Valentine."

You can still make out some of the advert....

Anything you desire, anything you can dream of, find it all at RAA !
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:25:27 pm by Kas Valentine » Logged

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 03:24:07 pm »

A note, clearly stolen from a bulletin board, is lodged under a stone on the church steps....

"Father,

As I expected my route around the peaks of Destard led to a temperate forest of a typical Britannian nature, not unlike the woods that shroud Cove. It was an immense relief to be away from the jungle I had been lost in for so long and I took my time to savour the feeling, strolling along with my stick carefully. The mood here was a lot more sedate than the wilds of the south, not without danger of course, but a lot less pronounced.

My legs were still a long way from recovery but as the hours passed I realised they were regaining some of their former strength. Of course I couldn't just discard my walking aid and sprint off towards my goal but nevertheless it was good to know. As for the skin the serpent had bitten, a bulb of garlic had worked wonders and the swelling was slowly fading.

As ever, one of the main components of the healing process was to keep myself fed and I looked into this as I passed through the trees. Having grown tired of berries very quickly I overlooked many such bushes in search of something a little more sustaining. Eventually I set my eyes upon a nice plump mushroom. I'm no expert on such matters, the fungus could have contained lethal poison, but I gave it a sniff and then with trepidation I took a bite.

It was utterly delicious, I consumed the whole thing and followed it up with another.

With a few pats to my satisfied stomach I headed east, where I thought the road between Trinsic and Britain to be. It was a warm afternoon and the trekking which had been a chore in previous days soon became a pleasure. I took in the sights of the local enviroment, spotting the odd deer trotting away to hide from my intrusion. The sun came down through the leaves and branches so I was at times drenched in rays and at others confined to the shade.

The woods began to thin out as I came towards a clearing and I picked up my pace hoping (but doubting) that I had already arrived at Spirituality. I was of course mistaken, the shrine was yet to be discovered, instead I found myself standing amongst a collection of tombstones. I tried to make out who had been buried there but the wording had long ago been eroded and blurred by mildew.

I found the massive, albeit impressively carved, coffin very worrying (especially since it was open and empty) so I took my leave.

I was certain I was on the right path, the grass underfoot was well travelled and at various intervals I noticed simple wooden signs nailed to the trees, Spirituality couldn't be too far away. I was still thinking of how close I was when the shrine appeared before my eyes. I'd been looking down and following what I took to be a route towards it, the sight was enough to stop me in my tracks.

How can I describe the beauty of this quiet place in the forest....?

The air crackled with some kind of magic and the ankh was raised from a small pool of crystal blue water, sitting atop an ornate marble podium. It was apparently impossible to reach the shrine proper but a small staircase extended from the side of the pond, perhaps to aid in viewing. I climbed to the highest step and took it all in.

Yes, the Avatar had sent countless troubles my way.
Yes, the Avatar had chosen to leave me to my own devices when I needed him.
Yes, the Avatar had remained fleeting, never giving any assurance of his presence.

But he had also created this place, in a manner of speaking, and I had gone against the express wishes of the most devout of his followers. So perhaps I was lucky to see it at all, I still had my life and my senses and I could have lost any of them in the past week.

I made a mental note of these considerations and gave sincere thanks for the beauty I beheld in the form of a mantra.

The majesty of Spirituality had been unexpected, I'd heard tales of it before but none which could compare to seeing the real thing. The experience, as well as the hearty meal I'd consumed earlier, served to bolster my resolve. Peering over the forest from my vantage point on the stairs I spied out the main road. Once I reach it I am positive I can find my way to Justice.

I pray that I arrive there in good health.

Signed with gentle curling handwriting,
Pilgrim Kas Valentine."

The note is scribbled with....

"Please stop sending your pilgrim's this way, I'm not responsible for delivery of their apparently inspired reflections" - Anonymous.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:27:10 pm by Kas Valentine » Logged

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 07:52:40 pm »

An old, yellowed piece of paper is left inside the chapel.....

"Father,

My journey is at an end, I write to you from beneath the pillars of Justice.

The road from Trinsic to Britain was unnaturally calm, as I sauntered past the numerous guardposts I couldn't help but wonder why I'd seen no other travellers. I didn't mind the solitude it was just perplexing to see such an important trade route without people on it. The only others I saw were the wandering healers of the realm, always offering a smile and the odd nod.

It was reassuring to think that perhaps I wasn't the only pilgrim they'd seen.

As I reached the small wooden bridge at the northern end of the road I noticed my stick had barely touched the ground for a good while, I'd been swinging it. Tensing and flexing my leg I was satisfied that it would support my weight without assistance, I strode proudly across the bridge and tossed the crutch into the river.

No sooner was I free of my walking stick than I was set upon by one of the mysterious floating eyeballs that plague our realm, a gazer. I rolled my neck and shoulders and set off as fast as I could since the creature was already arraying itself with magical protections. I got around a bend in the road just as a bolt of pure energy shot past, splintering a nearby tree trunk with the force of it's impact.

I carried on running until I was breathless and the threat was far behind me. Gasping in lungfuls of air and slowing to an easier pace I looked up the road, I was entering the general area of Britain. It wasn't long before I saw the giant ring of stones that frame the moongate on my left.

I'll be honest, this caused a crisis of conscience Father, should I cut short my journey and travel directly to the lands of Yew? Or should I continue as I had been, without any tricks besides that of my own locomotion. I settled for the latter, after all what good was my pilgrimage if I chose the easier option when I was so close to reaching a conclusion...?

I took a shortcut through the wilderness and ended up in the area of land the capital puts aside for farming. The fields were untended so I cut across them, running my hands through the stalks of wheat as I went. The military fortifications built at the mouth of the valley leading to Britain were still intact as I made my way out. The safety of the city limits had been comforting but as soon as I left the path through the rocky hills I was running again, this time from trolls.

Why was I always retreating...?
Why was I constantly being persued...?

I didn't know, but I worried for my leg, granted I was now walking on it without incident but this situation wouldn't last long if I had to keep pushing it. Thankfully there was one benefit to my most recent chase, I'd found the crossroads and promptly followed the signpost pointing towards Yew (though not without apprehension).

With each step I took along the path I became more and more aware my proximity to Yew. Obviously they had withdrawn their forces from the borders and we no longer fought with them on such a regular basis, but when you're knee deep in their territory, it doesn't really matter. I was so wrapped up in thoughts of this nature that I was unaware of dangers closer at hand.

The road harbours a fort frequented by scoundrels, I passed it without knowing.
The road is very close to one of the main solen hives, I wandered on oblivious.
The road is renowned for it's ruins and their undead residents, I barely noticed either.

Eventually I had very good reason to be concerned, I'd made it to Stonekeep crossroads. I was literally on the doorstep of our most fearsome enemies. I shook my head violently from side to side to clear paranoia and indecision, carrying on along the road at a furious pace. I had to distance myself from the Yewish, I had to reach Justice, I had to do service to the church and finish what I'd started.

But then I stopped and pondered.

Didn't Stonekeep have a church...? Didn't they also follow the Avatarian faith...? I was certain they did. I had heard talk in bygone days of the Covian church being a splinter of what had at first begun in the woods of Yew. With a sigh I turned around and jogged quickly back to the Loyalist enclave.

The moon was high in the night sky as I sneaked towards their chapel, distinctly aware of the trouble I could get myself into if I was discovered. I paused before the doors and looked up at the impressive building before exhaling and paying my respects, murmuring a prayer for safety during the last leg of my trip.

I was a shadow in the darkness as I made good my escape from Yewish lands, getting back onto the local highway which would eventually lead down towards Compassion desert. Since the hour was late my expedition was frequently interupted by monsters of all shapes and sizes. The rats and mongbats were dealt with by my club, but the larger creatures were carefully avoided.

Once I hit the first of the western bridges I took a sharp turn and headed north to follow the various rivers that cut into the land. The region was familiar from our frequent incursions against the Guardsmen Militia, and for once, I thanked them for that. I orientated myself from the location of the streams and after a good deal of roaming I looked across the massive lake that neighbours the shrine of Justice.

If I'd arrived a little sooner I may have been able to view it from my current position, the pillared statues gleaming in the sunlight, but unfortunately this was not the case. I skirted the shore of the water until I stood next to my goal, giving myself a moment to appreciate it before stepping through the archway.

For a long period I just looked at the ankh, unable to believe I'd actually made it this far. The mixed feelings of relief, satisfaction and happiness were almost tangible. But I cleared all this from my mind and focused on doing what I'd came here to do, pay tribute to the Virtue.

With a gentle sigh I unfolded some parchment I'd found on the roads around Britain and sat down to write this report.

I find it apt that the shrine of Justice is the place I end my travels. In a way it is almost as if I have done the church and the Avatar justice by fulfilling the pilgrimage while they in turn have enforced justice by sending me on it and seeing it completed. Naturally I do not assume to know better than you Father, in the weeks that have passed since I have been abroad in the realm I have gained but a simple understanding of the Seven.

But what I do know is this.....

When I directly disobeyed and ignored the wishes of the Friar I went against each and every one of the Virtues, since as a member of the church he represents them.

Despite the harsh lessons I have learned in the course of my pilgrimage, I am still very ignorant of the Avatar's ways, I have the strength of mind to at least realise this. But I repent Father, thoroughly do I repent, and pray for your forgiveness. I have seen so many things lately which I previously only thought of as concepts.

I do not resent my pilgrimage, nor the church, I simply wish to return to Cove once the period of grace has passed.

I hope you have received each of my reports and that you grow convinced of my immense remorse, truly I was wrong to question the faith.....

I realise that now.

Signed in intricate handwriting,
Pilgrim Kas Valentine."

The rest of the page is decorated with an amateur drawing of the Covian church.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length