Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:24:47 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  Scribe's Trove (Moderator: Kelly Sanderson)
| | |-+  ITT: We write short stories about Buttons
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: ITT: We write short stories about Buttons  (Read 10277 times)
Hoagie
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Actually a Corporal

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2009, 02:56:20 pm »

The Adventures of Buttons: Forever Inappropriate

I

His feet pounded hard against the city streets as he ran, the baby clutched tight to his chest. He had no idea who, exactly, the owner of baby was, but he knew the thrill that he got from stealing it, and that was enough to keep him going, his poofy beard bristling in the wind as he ducked through the crowd, angry calls following behind him. It was a dangerous game, and he knew it. This would be the last time  he visited the streets of Trinsic, it was only possible to grab so many babies and get away with it, even though they all found their way back to the parents eventually. He glanced over his shoulder, seeing the Trinsician guards coming up behind him, and looked up just in time to see a frail old lady with a tray of baked goods stepping out of a doorway in front of him. Preparing for the worst, he lobbed the baby into a flowerbed, and moved his shoulder forwards to shunt the old lady out of the way. He stumbled at the impact, nearly falling over. As he teetered forwards, he stole a glance over his shoulder, saw that the guards were getting dangerously close, and managed to tumble past the waiting guards at Trinsic west gate, running breathlessly down the road, a dry laugh of joy escaping from his lips, his beady eyes twinkling with the reflection of the setting sun.

Years passed, and slowly, Buttons calmed down, settling into a regular job in the Covian Army. His beard had grown some, and his eyes, while no less beady, still retained their trademark mischievous glint. Some described him as a careful and dutiful guardsman, others described him as an overzealous oaf, but everyone knew his name. He was, by all measures, a Covian celebrity. Through some series of blunders and miracles, Buttons managed to climb the ranks to Junior Grenadier, and this is where his adventure begins.

II

A loud knock at Buttons' door woke him from his slumber. He rubbed his eyes, letting out a quiet groan, and groped around the table for his bottle of ale. Taking a deep swig, he ran his fingers through his untamed beard, set the bottle down, and trudged towards the door.
   “Buttons!” came a low shout from the side of the door. “Buttons, wake up, it's Kas!” Stumbling, he reached the door, opening it and squinting out into the noon sun, Kas Valentine standing proudly on the front steps, hands on hips, his incandescent red hair causing the weary Buttons to grimace slightly. After a pause, Kas helpfully added: “You're rubbish.” turned, and ran away, giggling merrily. Buttons let the door swing shut, and slumped into his chair. Closing his eyes, he took in a deep breath. He knew it was true. Somewhere along the years, he had become rubbish. He needed a change, and he needed one fast. Putting on his brown cloak, he slipped out of the door. Buttons stumbled around for the better part of the day, peering into every shop window he passed, for something, anything to make him less rubbish. Eventually, as he reached the outskirts of Cove, he saw a wrinkled old man, with a long white beard, sitting on a rock. Buttons approached the man suspiciously, for he had no fondness for the elderly, and with a hesitant start, he spoke.
   “You there!” he called out. “Old man! What're you doing on this rock? More importantly, have you seen anything to make my friend less rubbish?”
   “Less rubbish?” the old man wheezed, giving Buttons an appraising look from head to toe. “Not sure there's much that can be done for 'your friend', but... there is something... an old legend. A bear hat, said to make the wearer successful, funny, and generally not rubbish.”
   “Perfect!” exclaimed Buttons, his bush-like beard rising and falling with his excited breath. “Where is it?! Do I have to kill a balron to get it? Is it in the deepest depths of the abyss?!” he continued, arms flailing wildly, as they were prone to do.
   “What?! No! Some man owns it, lives in Nujelm! Now beat it, whippersnapper!”
Content with this, Buttons landed a square punch to the old man's throat, and strutted towards the barracks, elbows out, a definite swagger in his step.
   “Oh Kaaaaaaas! We're going on an adventure! Gate us to Nujelm!”

III

The two moved through the Nujelmian streets, communicating with hushed voices and frantic points. Eventually, they came to a large house, the house they suspected contained the Bear Hat of Not Being Rubbish. The house looked decidedly not rubbish, and so, they crouch-walked through the bushes, giggling quietly, until they came to a window, where they peered in. What they saw, was not, as they expected, the interior of a room, but the looming head and shoulders of a man, regarding them suspiciously behind a pair of large, wild eyes, and a fluffy moustache.
   “What?! What is this? What do you want?!” he demanded, wibbling with indignation. “Why are you trampling my flowers so?” With a sly wink, Kas unfurled his silver tongue, and prepared to spin a yarn which would surely convince the man that they had a legitimate reason to be trampling his best flowers in the middle of the night. As his lips parted, and he let out a faint “Hu-”, the beginning of what was sure to be a word, Buttons grabbed each side of the man's moustache, and hauled himself in to the window, disappearing from view. For the longest time, Kas stood motionless, gawping in, past the now unconscious moustachioed man, listening at the long series of crashes, yelps and sounds of shattering glass that came from inside. In the muffled screams of the bearded burglar Buttons, Kas managed to make out the words “walrus”, “canoe”, “wax lips”, and “midget”. There was an almighty smash, and suddenly, all went quiet. After a long pause, and with Kas craning his neck so much you'd think the naked lady parade was passing by, a bundle of blankets containing a groaning Buttons flopped out of the window, landing with a thud in the flowers. In his grubby little mits, he held it. The object of his desires, that which would restore him to his former glory, the bear hat. Their triumph, however, was short lived, as the commotion roused many of the inhabitants of the city to the aid of the man who's house the daring duo had plundered. A sand cloud rose on the horizon, and steadily a row of torches and pitchforks came into view, the mutterings and grumblings of the angry mob becoming audible.

It was a phrase that, coming from Kas, was always the onset of a headache. Kas was very much a man with a plan, and that plan was often half-baked, hair-brained and dangerous. Kas had many talents, but also an apparent hatred for any animals that he regarded as unusual or clompy, especially horses. It was a sad fact that this often factored into his plans, so when Kas uttered the phrase, those four magic words that made Buttons groan in actual physical pain, “I have a plan”, Buttons knew to keep an eye out for anything furry. While fleeing from the angry mob, they saw the golden opportunity, their one chance to flee, and flee in style. A confused looking kangaroo, baby in pouch was hopping along the Nujelmian sands, its eyes beady, and its expression glazed. Kas puffed out his chest, sucking in air through his teeth an appraising the situation.
   “Punch it! Punch it in the baby!” called out Kas, hopping up and down, fists clenched and hat wobbling. “It's the only way we can escape!” At once, they sprung into action, Kas grabbing the joey's head, and yanking it out of the pouch. With an almighty uppercut, Buttons sent the joey flying into a small cluster of cacti, and both of the adventurers leapt into the pouch of the kangaroo. The kangaroo, appearing slightly startled, but no less vacant began hopping away from the sound of the incoming mob, and into the sunset.

IV

It was much later when the kangaroo arrived in Cove. Wearily stepping out, Kas and Buttons, Buttons now equipped with a stunning peace of head wear, and they strutted towards the Goblin,  heads held high, Buttons reached for the door handle, when...
   “'Ey, Buttons, get that off, y'look like an idiot, an' it 'aint uniform.”
Oh, Buttons. Forever inappropriate.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:56:13 am by Hoagie » Logged

*Signed*
Hoagie Grayner, Commander
⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ The Covian Seal ⚔ Order of Recruitment ⚔ Minoc Liberation Campaign ⚔ Kaldor Line Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

Delfer
Baron's Own Grenadier
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 07:29:37 pm »

This has to be made into an IC book. It has to! It's too glorious to be locked away in the OOC board!

P.S: I love you..

Del - " &^%$$#% Blues..."
Del - " &^%$$#% Bloranges..."
Perrin
Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:02:48 pm »

This has to be made into an IC book. It has to! It's too glorious to be locked away in the OOC board!

P.S: I love you..

I second that!

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:52:37 am »

The quality is simply beyond comprehension, I collapse to the floor in incoherrant mumbling praise, I'll literally have chapter three's babies.

/high five
/low five
/double five
/Five

Owned by a boy band.

/clear throat
/move swiftly on

Should anyone else wish to dabble in "a bit of Buttons" the book titles of the original author (Kasper Valentine of Sims 3 fame) are;

Adventures of Buttons: Becoming Poofy (Valentine'd)
Adventures of Buttons: Forever Inappropriate (Hoagie'd)
Adventures of Buttons: "I had a horse, once" (Valentine'd)
Adventures of Buttons: "But they said I could do it"
Adventures of Buttons: Understanding Bloranges

Naturally these are all trashy novels.

Let the pens fly !
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:41:49 am by Kas Valentine » Logged

Delfer
Baron's Own Grenadier
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:34:05 am »

Bloranges... A rare breed of rp'er very few understand. I'd be overjoyed if they were to be featured in a piece of Covian literature!

Epic win you two, epic win.

Faden
Life is a challenge
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

o[xxx]:::::;;;;;;>

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 02:31:02 pm »

Ha I'm loving the story and it suits both of you so well! Poor Kangaroo... you should both be ashamed.

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 08:37:47 pm »

The Adventures of Buttons: Becoming Poofy

Chapter I;

Somewhere in the past a terrible event occurred which to this day continues to have repercussions for all of Britannia. No-one knows for sure why it happened, or indeed where, but the legend states it began.....

In the back of a hairdressers.

"We're going to need at least five buckets, your weight in towels and some little sugary beverages for refreshment. Ooooh s'a laugh isn't eh...? A laugh....? Eeeeeeeeh, I 'dunno, what am I like!"

The decidedly camp noises issued from a room just behind the shop floor. The grotty little teenagers who were working that night claimed all they could hear was the harrowing sound of maternal anguish accompanied by the quietly miserable tune of paternal disappointment. It was clear to the people present that night (all of them now dead) that a child was being born. What kind of child none can say, but nevertheless it was definitely in the process of evacuating it's mother. It was also male.

Come dear reader, into the theatre that night. We shall discover the truth behind the tale.

Chapter II;

The scene is one of utter horror.

Some kind of massive beast is laid out on a table, it consists mainly of flab and hair and is wailing like a drowning cat. A clear liquid issues from what can only be described as it's mouth (since this is where the sound is coming from) and a similar liquid pours off the rolls of fat that flop out of her drenched clothing. From the reactions of the people nearby it would appear that the blob is not only a person, but the prospective mother in question. This woman will soon produce one of the greatest threats to the realm, a constant source of strife and conflict, a true scourge upon our fair land.

She is the mother of Buttons.

The production of such a vile creature is doubtless having it's toll on her, she is undulating this way and that, rippling with preemptive grief. From nowhere the people helping are replaced by other people. This has to be done to prevent them becoming sickened by the gore and stench which in this case certainly cannot be referred to as "the glory of childbirth" (common alternatives were; "eternal horror of the blemished mind" and "akin to fornication with molten sand").

All of a sudden the proceedings change gear, activity around the table increases and the decibel level of the "mother" quadruples.

Mr Delferium: OH DEAR AVATAR, WHAT HAVE I DONE, CURSE MY INHERRANT FERTILITY AND INTRICATELY GROOMED FACIAL HAIR !

The Blob: *slighty offended guttural groan*

Mr Delferium: Yes my love, I only half meant it.....

Francisco the Hairdresser: *gives Mr Delferium a look of disgust*

Mr Delferium: *mouths the words "do one" at Francisco and wafts his glare away*

Francisco the Hairdresser: *looks back at Mr Delferium with indignant disbelief and pouts moodily*

Mr Delferium (smug): *indicating the general shape of his wife* Can we get down to business...? Or rather, can we get the business out of her....? Things to do, people to oppress and humiliate, you know how it is.

The Blob: *flails arms and writhes half heartedly*

Francisco the Hairdresser: Of course of course, the poor dear....*holds a limp wrist to his mouth in sympathy*.....the poor poor dear. You two.....*shouting towards the shop floor*....get in here and assist with the general....*grasps for words*.....cleaning and postnatal administration. I'll handle the big boy job. *looks very anxious and rolls up his sleeves*

Burt the Teenager and Jeff the Teenager (in unison): *sniggering* Yes "sir".

Mr Delferium: *watches Francisco as he holds The Blob's knees* Boy do I feel for you son, boy do I. *shakes his head with the saddest expression known to man*

Francisco the Hairdresser: *squeaks with fright and passes out, crashing to the floor beneath the birthing table*

Burt the Teenager and Jeff the Teenager (in unison): *sniggering with more emphasis on bemused contempt*

Mr Delferium: Every time, every damn time, why do they always do this...? *glances at The Blob out of the corner of his eye* Oh....."right"...."that". Hoh well, I guess it's down to yours truly, yet again laboured with a fat hunk of flesh that requires support, s'like being at my mothers. *boots the hairdresser of dubious sexuality out the way and begins wobbling The Blob's thighs* Come to papa !

As Mr Delferium gets down to the task at hand the chorus of sniggering (which till now had been constant given the availability of nudity and gayness) suddenly cuts off. Burt and Jeff have joined Francisco on the floor and Mr Delferium is well and truly alone with his family. A family that shall very shortly be larger by one.

THE one, Delferium Junior, Button Mouse....

"Buttons".

Chapter III;

The face and eyes of Mr Delferium could have ended the lives of small animals, such was their intensity. Into the gaping maw of childbirth did he stare, ready for the production of the latest in a long line of unwanted sons (he never got daughters, he often thought of it as cosmic payback for being so randy). The Blob gripped the sides of the table with her meaty hands, forever imprinting it with eight sausage like dents. Mr Delferium knew the signs, if she was tensing or clenching then it was bad news, he hunkered down and extended his open arms towards her. With a noise not unlike the mating call of an ettin The Blob strained with all her might (which was a considerable amount)....

POP !

Mr Delferium ducked as an object the shape of a large watermelon (albeit completely covered in hair) catapulted past his left ear and ricocheted of two of the four walls. The Blob watched this event unfold and then flopped immediately to sleep, thoroughly exhausted by the whole situation. With trepidation marking his steps Mr Delferium approached the hairy bundle, conscious of the movements caused by it's breathing. Normally the infants were pinkish creatures with four limbs, he reflected, usually covered from head to toe in womb flavoured gore. Not so with this one.

He jabbed it with the toe of his boot, sighing as it unfolded into a child with an uncannily huge beard. Scooping the small boy into his arms Mr Delferium began what was to be a long (and tedious) education of ahhh bah bah bah and cootchy choo's.

Mr Delferium: Whossagoodlittleboy!? WHOSSAGOODLITTLEBOY!? *pauses and sags* You ain't.

Unceremoniously dumping the infant on a now conscious Francisco he headed outside.

Francisco the Hairdresser: Well I say, where do you think you're going mister!? You're a father, you can't just walk out on a role like that !

Mr Delferium paused long enough to give the ignition of his pipe suitable dramatic licence.

Mr Delferium: Watch me chuckles, watch me.

And with that he flicked the flaming match into the pile of hair previously swept up by Burt and Jeff, burning the whole place down and killing everyone inside.

Or so he thought.....

Jonny Fireman: *casting aside some charred wreckage* JIMMY ! Call the healers over ! We've got a live one !

Jimmy Fireman: *sprints over* 'Ruddy 'ell Jon Jon, s'only a nipper. Give him here s'have a look at the little mite. *takes the child from Jonny and unfurls the sheet the child had been wrapped in*

Jonny and Jimmy Fireman (in unison): 'RUDDY 'ELL !

Jonny Fireman: *indicates the babies face and turns to Jimmy, completely overcome with shock* Is that what I think it is? Does he have a 'ruddy great big beard!?!?

Jimmy Fireman: *rubs his eyes and reaches gingerly towards the offending hair, giving it a quick feel* Aye ! And cor.....isn't it poofy...?

And so began the legacy,

THE LEGACY OF BUTTONS !

Yours,
The Anonymous Voice of Narration.
(Or for the sake of any royalties; KV)

Hoagie
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Actually a Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:15:53 am »

A masterpiece!

*Signed*
Hoagie Grayner, Commander
⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ The Covian Seal ⚔ Order of Recruitment ⚔ Minoc Liberation Campaign ⚔ Kaldor Line Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

Linaeus
Cove Command
Covian Legend

Not the Commander.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 01:22:38 am »

Keres approves of this.

Torrak: As far as I'm concerned, though, EA is just unauthorized modding BoC.
Faden
Life is a challenge
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

o[xxx]:::::;;;;;;>

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 12:27:50 pm »

Ha thats amazing! This explains a lot.

Delfer
Baron's Own Grenadier
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 07:34:58 pm »

I especially like the part where I survive the fire. Very accurate. It's the beard you see, fire proof.

Also, Kas.

I hate you.

Linaeus
Cove Command
Covian Legend

Not the Commander.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 12:00:16 am »

*Bangs fists on the table!*

More! More I say!

Torrak: As far as I'm concerned, though, EA is just unauthorized modding BoC.
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 08:39:16 am »

You mean "fire POOF". *Nods*  Tis true Buttons came from such afwul stock as that! He a mutation and obviously not holsome of Avatarian in the least! Burn him! Crusify him! Wrack him! Just end its miserable life!!

Bwuahaha!

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 08:41:23 am »

/begins work on Adventures of Buttons: "I had a horse, once"

Steady MK, you can't end Buttons, by all means torment him though.

Aslin
Covian Guardsman
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 03:44:05 pm »

I find this time fitting to get impatient.

KAAAS! GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!

Want more!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length