Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:34:25 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  Scribe's Trove (Moderator: Kelly Sanderson)
| | |-+  Tales from Killyganard
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tales from Killyganard  (Read 5166 times)
Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2018, 03:51:08 pm »

Hullo! As some know, I started to write a novel a while back ago about my time in Cove as Ilyana -----> http://cove.sugeworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=15635.0

Some have asked me to share a bit from it, so I'm posting the first chapter here. Maybe a few more, but I haven't decided yet.

Keep in mind, that I had to change city names due to copyright issues. At least Richard Garriot advised me to do it.

Currently I have 102 pages, 28436 words and 11 chapters.

Without further ado, let's do it!

PS: The original is written in german. I rushed it through google translate. So apologize for any weird sentences.

Act 1: The Three Realms
Chapter 1 - New Friendships

There she sat now. The Green Goblin was empty except for herself. She was still unsure if it was really a good idea to go to Shoreham. It was the elves who advised her. "Go to Shoreham, Ilyana," she reminded herself, "the only way you can improve your skills." Ilyana was a magician. She was talented, but mostly in theory. She knew very little about how she should deal with magic in an emergency. Since elves could live for hundreds of years, many of them studied the theory of magic for a long time. Most of them did their first spell at the age of 200 - and Ilyana did not have that much time.
She sighed and thought again about the elves. How had she ever come to them? The Elf Grove is somewhere in the woods of Stroud, only findable by those who already know where it is. But somehow Ilyana stumbled 17 years ago as a little girl directly into their town. Nobody knew how she could do it. But they took the orphan with them.
Early on, they recognized Ilyana's talent for magic and taught herto improve those skills. She did not like to leave the grove, but she followed the advice of her teachers ... yet she had no clear goal in mind, except for the further development of her magical abilities.

The tavern Green Goblin deserved its name. Dark pine trees adorned the floor and white plaster formed the walls. The tables and chairs, however, were all made of oak and painted with dark green paint. She did not know any taverns in the Grove, but she knew from books that it was often a rallying point for crowds of people playing, laughing, drinking and eating, all accompanied by loud music from fiddles, drums and lutes.
She was torn from her thoughts when suddenly the door of the Green Goblin was torn open. In front of Ilyana stood a tall, strong man, in his mid-40s, with a brown ponytail and a mischievous smile. It was none other than commander of Shoreham's army, Raiden Morana. Ilyana rose from her barstool and bowed. "I heard there's a new recruit here, is that you, little girl?" Raiden said as he approached. "Y-yes, sir," Ilyana replied in a shaky voice. Raiden sat down beside her and gestured for her to do the same. He took some papers out of his pocket and looked Ilyana up and down. His smile disappeared. "Are you sure you have what it takes, girl? You look as if you could easily be torn to shreds by a goat in the air. "
As a matter of fact. Ilyana was anything but a warlike figure. She was thin, her nails brittle and her eyes tired. "I'm not a warrior, sir, but a magician." "Ah, I could have thought of it because of the hair." Ilyana had soft blue-purple hair. Many magicians had an extraordinary hair color and Ilyana was no exception.
"Well, then," Raiden went on, "let's take care of the formalities, do we not? So, full name? "" Ilyana Ashelia Susannah Lyn Melior. "" And your age, Ilyana? "" I'm 24. "" Your birthplace? "" I'm originally from Durrun. "" Durrun, eh? You're not a spy, are you? "Ilyana shook her head. "I was born in Durrun, but I've lived among elves for almost the last two decades, my lord." "Elves ... Well, after all, a little better than Durrun." Raiden laughed a little pejoratively.
The Republic of Durrun and the Barony of Shoreham were two of the three northern kingdoms of Killyganard. Since the power war over Steggerhult, in which Shoreham emerged victorious, Durrun and Shoreham were in a very tense climate. However, neither had the means to attack the other. "Well, it looks like we- No, that's another question." Raiden looked over the papers and could not help grinning. "It says: If female, urgently ask for measures. Hah! This is probably one of Bersi's papers. Anyway, make your mark here, Ilyana. "Raiden handed her his pen and pointed at a line at the bottom of the papers. He nodded in satisfaction and shook her hand. "Welcome to the army of Shoreham, young magician! A life full of adventure or a short painful death awaits you. How are you feeling? "" Well, I'm a bit hungry. I have not eaten for over thirty minutes. "Raiden laughed loudly and slapped her on the back, almost knocking her over. "That's the right attitude." Raiden was not quite sure yet, but Ilyana was deadly hungry. She had the habit of never getting full. No matter how much she ate, and that was usually a lot, she was always hungry.

"Well then, Ilyana. Then we want to equip you properly. I'm dividing you into Unit 13. It is currently led by Bersi and can use new recruits after the latest skirmish. "Raiden motioned for her to follow and the two left the Green Goblin, the pub where Ilyana would often be. The two walked through Shoreham and whenever they met someone, people bowed in great awe to Raiden. In fact, Raiden was a big man. His actions went far beyond Shoreham's borders. Even the elves knew him well.
When they finally arrived at the barracks, the headquarters of Shoreham's army, two guards saluted Raiden, "Greetings to Commander Morana!" Raiden returned the salute and ordered them to move. The barracks consisted of stone ramparts and various wood paneling for reinforcement. They went up the stone stairs and entered a large hall decorated with tables and chairs and flags of Shoreham, a black and brown checked pattern with the head of a goat looking west, against the wall. In the hall itself, there were several soldiers who greeted Raiden in the same way as the two guards. "Bersi, come here." Raiden called the man to himself. Bersi was also an Arcanist, more specifically Arcanist Corporal. Arcanists were one of the three elite forces of Shoreham. Ilyana would also join the troupe one day as soon as her comrades recognize her strategic intellect. Bersi had brown hair, deep brown eyes, and a very beautiful face. "Yes, Commander?" Bersi said as he approached Raiden and his eyes fell on Ilyana. "A new recruit?" Raiden nodded. "This is Ilyana, a magician. Be so good and take her to the borders today. "Bersi nodded and extended his hand in greeting to Ilyana. "I am very glad Ilyana. I'm Bersi, Arcanist Corporal and Current Leader of Unit 13. "As he said that, he pointed over his back and pointed to some journeymen. "As you can see, we're glad of any reinforcement." "Well then," Raiden said, "I still have a lot of paperwork ahead of me. Good succeed! I hope to hear from you, Ilyana. "

Raiden left the great hall, leaving Ilyana to her new unit. "Well," Bersi began, "let's introduce you to everyone, right? These two are Ruby and Rita Whalebiter. "He pointed to two red-haired women, obviously twins. "Ruby is a bit crazy and does not know how to behave, while Rita is very cold and distant," Bersi whispered in her ear. "Nice to meet you. I'm Ilyana. ", She started and saluted in front of them. Rita nodded her a curt nod as Ruby walked up to her and started sniffing at her. "You smell like magic. Are you also such a flame thrower as Bersi ?! "Ruby asked and continued immediately," Wait! I smell something else! You had ham recently! Where is the rest of the ham and why do not you give it to me ?! "" I, um ... "
"Ignore her," a young man interrupted her. "Ruby is sometimes a bit crazy. I am Iolan Grimsditch from Altmere. Glad to meet you. "Iolan saluted and Ilyana did the same. "Ruby," Bersi began again, "be so good and set up Ilyana properly. By the way, where is the rest? "" You sent her to keep an eye on the orcs in the south, "Rita said. Bersi scratched his chin and brought out only a small uh huh. "In ten minutes I want to see everyone downstairs!"
With that, Bersi went outside while Ilyana and Ruby went into the armory. Ruby gave Ilyana a quick look and rested her head on her shoulders. "There is not much bacon on you. But I think I have something here that suits you probably."
Ruby opened a chest and took a complete set to the front. These included a black leather armor for mages, men and women of course cut differently, dark brown boots, a slightly tanned kilt, a sash with rank and badge in the same color, as a bandana for low-ranking soldiers. The uniforms differed from troop to troop, as well as from weapon use and rank. "I think you want to become an arcanist, right?" Ruby asked without waiting for an answer. "Then you will eventually get such reddish gauntlets and leather gloves as Bersi. I myself am rather the sneaky type. My goal is to become the best scout Shoreham has ever seen. Then I finally get my grass green leather armor and I'm even more invisible when I can sneak through the muck, "said Ruby with a big grin. "And your sister?" Ilyana asked. "She's a grenadier, the self-proclaimed hero of Shoreham. Grenadiers are mostly good shooters and at the same time trained for close combat. As you have seen, she is wearing black plate armor with bronze plate arms and gloves. She glitters like snow in the sun and I think she could not even sneak up on anyone, even if he was deaf and blind. "
The career of a soldier began as a recruit and then as a Watchman. These two ranks wore just mentioned bandana. Those who lived long enough to earn Shoreham's cap were juniors. Juniors were assigned to a force or kept as a core unit, should they not be allocable. Other ranks were Regular, Senior, and Hardner, with the latter were only the least and even counted as a legend.
Ilyana took off her old clothes and let Ruby give the uniform, neither of them being embarrassed by the naked body. Ilyana fit the uniform like a glove and when she pulled the bandana tight, she turned to Ruby, who gave her a thumbs-up to indicate she was looking good.
Outside the barracks, the three women and Iolan lined up in front of Bersi. As Ilyana tried to look ahead while copying the others' attitudes, Bersi started to say, "Very nice that you guys made it. As you know, the people of Altmere are full of weepy peasants. They constantly complain that taxes are too high, they do not get enough protection, or their livestock have too few waterholes. It's as if they were even complaining that they had nothing to complain about, if only it were. Anyway. We will go to the southern border of Altmere and strengthen the border post. All understood? Then we'll leave in a hurry! "
Bersi ran ahead and the rest followed him. Ilyana was not used to moving physically, spending most of her time putting her nose in some books, causing her to have severe respiratory problems. "Not that you fall, yes?" Iolan turned to her. She answered with a slight shake of the head. After about an hour's walk they arrived at the outpost to Altmere. A small stone tower with some beds inside and a ladder to get onto the roof. "Rita!", Bersi began, "Be so good and teach Ilyana about how we usually set up our sentries." Rita raised her ax over her shoulder and looked sideways slightly at her: "Using wood and hides." "Correct. We set up a small palisade to protect this outpost in the event of a fall, keeping the interior long enough for the main unit to arrive from the south. Rita and Iolan, you collect wood while Ruby and Ilyana take care of the hides. "" And where should I get the hidesfrom? "Ilyana asked. Bersi looked at her crookedly and smiled. "What do you think? Go get some deers and take their skins. I hope you know how to skin animals, right? "Ilyana paled and shook her head. "Fine, let Ruby show you. And now everybody! You have three hours! "

Ruby and Ilyana disappeared in the nearby forest. As they heard in the distance the axes of Rita and Iolan thundering relentlessly against trees, Ruby and Ilyana crept silently through the forest. Ilyana was no hunter, that was plain to see. Ruby, however, had a very rigid gaze, always with an arrow ready in the bowstring. Right in front of a clearing Ruby stopped and raised a hand to make Ilyana clear, not to move. In the tall grass, the head of a deer loomed, not sensing its adversaries. She arched the bow and Ilyana looked at Ruby's attitude. She seemed relaxed and focused at the same time. A flowing movement and she fired an arrow that pierced right into the heart of the deer. "Meal!", She called and ran for the carcass. "Come here now, little one. I'll show you how it goes with the skin. First you cut in here, you see? On all four hooves. Then a clean cut along the calves. "Ruby went on to explain and Ilyana did not try to emptying her already empty stomach. Although it was not a pretty sight, it was still one of the cleanest ways to get to the hides without bleeding everything.
When Ruby was done, she finally took the scalp of the deer and put it on the head - still completely unwashed. Bersi was right when he said Ruby was a little crazy. "This shall be my trophy, yes!" Ruby grinned broadly and stuffed the skins in her backpack. "All right, here's a knife!" She said, throwing the bloody knife at her feet. "I keep chasing. I think we'll get more hides if we hunt separately. Just look at the sky now and then. When the sun is high, you should return to the outpost."
As Ruby began to hop through the forest and Ilyana still squinted at her, she was already wondering if she was tough enough for the army. Sure, Ilyana already had her strengths, especially tactics and strategy. But she had to work out such a position first. Shoreham's inhabitants were proud women and men who relied primarily on their physical strength. Magicians did not fit in with their know-it-all. Even if one had the rank of officer, that did not mean that the other soldiers' respect came automatically. Certainly, recruits and watchmen could not afford to disagree with them, but equal soldiers always had an advantage with the commander when it came to grenadiers or scouts.
Ilyana walked around for a while, but of course she was not nearly as skilful as Ruby. With her knife she had to sneak up close, which made it easy for the cautious deer and harts. Magic was unthinkable in this situation. Most magician spells contained fire spells, and Ilyana did not intend to cause a conflagration on her first day of service.
As the sixth cloven-hoofed animal escaped her and her stomach became louder and louder, her frustration grew. With the first three deer, she stumbled over her own feet during the chase while the others did not even give her the chance to get close. She fumbled for her spellbook and sought a solution. After turning over for some time, she spied a spell that made her invisible for a short time. Bloodmoss and nightshade plants were necessary for this. Bloodmoss was a very commonly used reagent, so it was always wise to have some of it. Nightshade was mainly used for poison and illusion magic. Luckily, Ilyana covered herself with all eight mage reagents before she went to the Green Goblin.
Again, Ilyana slipped through the groves and tried to spot a wild animal. When she saw a potential victim, she used the spell. "An Lor Xen," she whispered, and as the reagents dissolved into small sparks, Ilyana actually became invisible. She got rid of her boots for the moment to get as quiet as possible. The stag, who was supposed to be her target, seemed suspicious when he smelled a strange odor, but it could neither see nor hear an enemy. And so it happened that it could not see the knife coming as it pierced its throat. He fidgeted and struggled for a while and also hit Ilyana, who immediately kissed the ground. The stag was badly injured and so his fight for survival was a very short one.
With a bit of shoulder pain, where she was hit by the deer, she set to work the skin off the animal. When Ruby did it, it looked very simple, but cutting the leathery skin took a lot of strength, which the skinny young woman simply did not have.

When she had finished her work with difficulty, it was already time for the way back. Her hunting was not really successful. A single deer in three hours was a meager yield. She slipped back into her boots, threw the heavy hide over her shoulders, and in a hurry, tried to make her way back to the outpost.

Back at the outpost, Rita and Iolan had already finished setting up the logs around the watchtower, and Bersi was not idle as well, raising a small ditch in the meantime. Bersi's eye fell on Ilyana, who returned with only a single deer coat. He raised his eyebrow and muttered, "Next time we'll give you another job, huh? Hopefully Ruby was a bit luckier. "And as if on cue, Ruby also stepped out of the woods - her head still adorned with the deer's scalp, her back laden with furs, and even a young deer to eat. "Report back to the service, Bersi!" He raised his thumb and gave further instructions: "All right, use the skins to tie the palisades, we reinforce the whole thing a bit."
After the four had taken care of the palisades, Bersi had also managed to roast the young deer with his fire magic. Ilyana was completely exhausted and could not wait to eat. "All right!" Bersi shouted. "That should be enough. Let's take a break and eat something first. "The five sat in a circle while Bersi gave everyone a fair share of the loot. While Rita, Iolan and Bersi were eating slowly and exchanging stories, mostly sailor's yarn, Ilyana and Ruby were totally fixated on food. Ilyana swallowed her share in a short time and looked sadly at the plates of the others, who still had so much. She was torn from her thoughts by Iolan, who nudged her: "Are you still hungry?" "Yes, and how. I had almost nothing today. "Iolan seemed a bit perplexed by this statement. "Well ... you look a bit pale. If you want, you can still have the rest, I have enough anyway. "Ilyana smiled broadly as he held out his plate to her. "Ah, look at that smile." Ilyana thanked him and immediately started eating again. After the rest of the meal was done, or rather, passed on their part to Ruby and Ilyana, it was time for the way back to the barracks.

2x Covian Seal ⚜ Rage of Raaz ⚜ 2x Ribbon of Activity ⚜ Order of Leadership ⚜ The Richter's Crest ⚜ Order of Distinction ⚜ Jhelom Campaign ⚜ Coalition against Undead ⚜ Liberation of Nu'jelm
Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 10:17:00 am »

A few people have asked me to share more, so here we go. Chapter 2 and 3, since chapter 2 is quite short.

Chapter 2 - Fateful Encounters

It was early evening when the small group arrived at the barracks. Bersi turned to them, "All right. I think you all deserve your break. Anyone else coming to the Green Goblin? "" Forgoing. "Rita said. Iolan and Ruby also refused, as they wanted to lie down. "And you, Ilyana?", Bersi turned to her, "You will not let me down?" "If I can eat something, I'm there."
Arrived, there was already the rest of unit 13 in the tavern. "Ah, corporal Bersi!" A woman in her early thirties with chestnut brown hair in the rank of junior came towards them. "Report. The orcs have not even ventured out of their fortress all day, and there was no sign the nasty beasts were up to something. "" Thanks, Abigail. "" And who is that? "Abigail turned to Ilyana. "My name is Ilyana. I'm a new recruit. "" Ah, judging by the hair, a magician. "Ilyana nodded and held out her hand in greeting. "Nice to have you with us, Ilyana. It's always good to have a decent amount with us next to all these morons. "Abigail pointed to the grenadiers and scouts. "I am Abigail Keres, youngest child of the Keres' siblings. They call me the black sheep in the family, but that's not the case. "Ilyana tried to listen to each of her words. She would still have a lot to do with the Keres family. "Well, then," Abigail continued, taking Ilyana by the hand, "do we want to familiarize you with the rest?"

Bersi already sat down at the bar and drank with relish on his rulk, a mix of shoreham rum and goat's milk. "That's Gabriel, Fred and Viktor." Gabriel turned to Ilyana first. "Ah, a new recruit?" Ilyana nodded and introduced herself. "Very beautiful. Shoreham can always use new and capable soldiers. I'm Gabriel Drachen, Senior Scout and probably the most beautiful man ever to walk Killyganard. "Gabriel had severe narcissistic predispositions. Although it was true that he was very attractive. "You have the charm of an ogre, Gabriel." Fred turned to them and introduced himself. "Fred McScouty is my name. Ironically, Junior Scout. If you ever have any questions about poisons, please let me know. "Ilyana nodded and sat down at the bar between Bersi and Viktor while Gabriel, Fred and Abigail Dart were playing.

"Your name is Ilyana, did I understand that correctly?" Viktor cast a shy glance at her. "Yes, and you're Viktor, right?" "Aye, that's me. Viktor Kien from Altmere. I'm also a recruit, as you can see. "Viktor pointed to his sash, which was piece-wise hidden by his long, well-groomed beard. "I signed up to the army a week ago. I hope I will soon be promoted to watchman. "" Then you should learn to write, lad. ", Bersi turned to the two. "If you intend not to be a fleshwall forever, then you should learn other things besides swinging a sword." "But Ruby can not write either and is a watchman." Bersi shook his head. "But Ruby knows some letters and draws certain words she does not know how to write. That is a beginning. I have not seen anything like it from you. "Viktor sighed and joined the dart players.

"Do not get me wrong, Ilyana. I am only interested in our women and men always striving to grow beyond themselves. And just that many people from poorer provinces still can not write and read is shameful. "Ilyana scratched her chin while her stomach growled. "What? Are you hungry again? "" I ... can not help it. No matter how much I eat, I'm hungry again a short time later. "" That's ... very amazing indeed. You seem to have a bottomless hole instead of a stomach. "Bersi chuckled while Ilyana was anxious to eat again as soon as possible. "Do we want to satisfy this hunger? Hey! Mizuho! Customers! "Bersi called to the kitchen to get the barmaid. Mizuho Kazami was an elven woman with deep red hair. Their age was difficult to identify as elves only aged very slowly after a certain age.
Mizuho turned to Ilyana. "You're new here, are you not? What am I allowed to bring you? "Ilyana glanced at the dining card and opted for the honey-glazed ham.
As Mizuho disappeared back into the kitchen, Bersi turned back to Ilyana. "I pay. You seem to be useful, I like that. "" Oh, thanks a lot, corporal. "" Please, just call me Bersi. "Ilyana nodded and gave him a smile. "This woman ... the elf woman ...", Ilyana began. "Yes? What about her? "" She's an elf, but I've never seen her. And I've been among the elves in the Elven Grove for the past 17 years. "" Well, not all the elves live in Elven Grove, Ilyana. Many settled down around the world thousands of years ago. "Bersi continued," Mizuho here is the sister of a Grenadier of Unit 6. They have both been living in Shoreham for about four years. Before that, they lived in some province in Himosashi. "" Himosashi? "Ilyana asked. "Himosashi is a country far away from Killyganard. Well, personally, I'm not a big elf friend. Her arrogant posturing is not for me. They think they are better magicians. Pfft. If I had a thousand years to study magic then I would be so good. "Of course, Ilyana knew that an elf lived on average for only 800 years, but did not correct it. She nodded but did not know what to answer. Since she herself lived among elves and had never found them overbearing or otherwise negative, she was not Bersi's opinion. On the other hand, she did not want to mess with him. "Anyway," he continued, "Sergeant Jennifer Feather of Unit 2 will travel to Stroud tomorrow with a few men. I think it would be good if you and the two Whalebiter sisters were with them. I will inform the two. Do not stay here too long. "As he put some copper coins on the counter for his Rulk and Ilyanas ham, he saluted the farewell and left the tavern.

After a short time Mizuho came out of the kitchen and served Ilyana for ham. "Bon appetit, little one!" Mizuho smiled and dropped the coins while Ilyana picked up her plate and sat down with the other four, who were still playing darts. While she began to pull the ham down whole pieces, Viktor sat down next to her. "Well, did Bersi and you have something interesting to discuss?" He began. "I'm not quite sure. Above all, he talked and I listened. "Viktor chuckled. "I do not know how such a man could become a corporal." "What do you mean?" "I have not been in the army for a long time, but I find it odd how he behaves. It seems like he only cares about the magicians in his unit, while the rest is just ballast for him. "Ilyana frowned. "But, he's a magician himself. Maybe that seems to deceive you?" Viktor shrugged. "No idea. I do not really trust him."
"You should be a little bit careful about how you talk about your boss, bangling!" Fred intervened, "If you do not trust Bersi, then you might want to quit the service very quickly. In an emergency, we must all be able to rely on each other, and there is no room for personal dispute. Even if you can not blindly make friends with everyone in the unit, you still have to work with them back to back and raise your shield for their protection. And the last thing I'll allow you to do is transfer your antipathy to other recruits, understand ?! "Viktor blushed, but nodded submissively. Both, Viktor and Ilyana, sat in the tavern for a while and watched the dart game. However, neither of the two talked anymore.

When Ilyana returned to the barracks, Ruby ran to meet her. "Ah! Ilyana! ", She exclaimed joyfully," Look! "She pointed to the deer scalp on her head. "I washed it. Is it not beautiful? "Ruby's eyes glittered and she wore a big grin on her face. "It fits you like a glove, Ruby." As her grin grew even more. "Thank you! You know what? I think I like you. You are not as stupid as the others, yes! And you munch just as much as I, if not more! "" Um ... Thanks? I guess? "" Bersi said we're going to Stroud tomorrow with Sergeant Feather. That will be great! Sergeant Featheris my great role model! Did you know that she is also an archer? And she is so strong! I can not wait to go! "" Yeah, I can tell, that you're a little bit excited, "Ilyana said and could not help smiling. "Oh yeah! Rita said I'm getting on her nerves and I'm supposed to run around the barracks five times. But then I ran into you and now I'm here. "" Well, then I do not want to stop you any longer? "Ruby sighed.
"Fine. You can take the bed up next to me. If you do not know which one, ask Rita. But be careful, she does not like new recruits that much. "Ilyana nodded and saluted her, and made her way to the barracks.
Ilyana was very tired, so she fell asleep very quickly, full of expectations what the days would bring.

Chapter 3 - The Way to the West

"All man, get up!" A loud voice woke Ilyana from her sleep. She wiped her eyes but could not see who it was. The voice of a woman. "In 30 minutes I want everyone ready to march to Stroud!" The woman left the quarters while Ilyana rubbed her hands over her face. Rita was already on her feet and almost completely in her armor as she nudged Ruby, who did not look as if she'd heard much of the order. "Hey, get up you lazy goat!", She mocked. "Hm? What is? It's the middle of the night ... ", Ruby murmured, without checking if the guess is correct. "Now move your lazy butt you fool! We'll march in 30 minutes! "Ruby yawned loudly, but slowly started to put on her armor.
Rita looked out the window and then to Ilyana: "It looks like next to Sergeant Feather we will also see Kas Valentine and Celuvian Haap, two experienced arcanists. I recommend that you do not tell the Stroud people too much about your hocus-pocus. People in the West do not like people like you. "Ilyana nodded and just said okay.

When Ruby and Ilyana came out of the barracks, they joined the small group. Rita has been standing ready for some time. It was the turn of Sergeant Jennifer Feather, a woman in her early 40s with scars over her body. "Ah, I see they all managed to be on time. Nice that you three accompany us, Bersi has already told of you. "Her eyes looked at the whole group. In addition to Rita, Ruby and Ilyana were also Celuvian Haap and Kas Valentine. Both seemed to be older. How old though was difficult to estimate. Celuvian had burgundy hair while Kas had a fiery red.
"Kas!", Jennifer started, "This hat is not the correct uniform." Kas was wearing a pointed hat instead of the Shoreham cap. "Oh, your eyes are spotting any blemish in this world, my lady. But so I can assure you that this is allowed by Commander Morana, certainly. "Kas was a charmer and a very eloquent man. Jennifer raised her right eyebrow and shook her head. "You look ridiculous, Kas. I'll discuss this with the commander when we get back. "Jennifer turned back to the group," All right. Before us is a little more than a day's march. If we make good progress, we will arrive in Stroud tomorrow afternoon. The goal of this trip is to strengthen the recently acquired truce between our two empires. There will be at a festival with various competitions. Today we will cross Altmere and set up camp on the northern border in West Altmere. All man ready? Then let's go! "

The morning sun was just rising over Shoreham and the coolness of the spring night was still in the air. The group, led by Sergeant Feather, headed north in quick steps, the same direction Ilyana took to the outpost yesterday.

As they passed the outpost on the border of Altmere, Ilyana saw some of Shoreham's soldiers inside. However, she did not have time to estimate the approximate number as Sergeant Feather set a fast pace. They ran for a while and finally reached East Altmere.
The province in the Shoreham area was poor and often witness to battles in the north. There were few villages in this area, most along the royal road. The people of East Altmere were mainly farmers and hunters.

Sergeant Feather slowed down a bit as they walked through the villages.
Compared to Shoreham, the people of Altmere did not seem nearly as happy to see the soldiers. Instead, she could see anger and disgust in their eyes. Kas noticed Ilyana's uncertainty and started running beside her. "Well, young lady. It seems to me that we have not formally introduced ourselves yet. What is your name, my beauty? "" I, uh ... I am Ilyana. "" Oh, what a charming name. It fits with such a pretty flower. I am Kas Valentine, Senior Arcanist of Unit 2 under the graceful Jennifer Feather. I'm sure you're an aspiring arcanist too, are you not, Ilyana? "She nodded and tried to listen to his words, for listening to him was very tiring. "Excellent! You could not have picked a better place in Killyganard than Shoreham. "
Kas noticed how Ilyana kept looking at people and darkening her eyes. "What troubles you, oh Ilyana?" "These people here ... As I walked through the streets of Shoreham with Commander Morana, they were all so happy and glad to see the soldiers. But here the exact opposite seems to be the case. "" Yes, you are not wrong. "
Kas plucked his pointed hat and began in a more serious voice: "It was not very long ago, when in Altmere a war raged between Stroud and Shoreham. Both empires claimed the province for themselves. And, of course, war is always bad for the losers, which in this case are clearly the inhabitants of Altmere. But I do not think that Shoreham is solely responsible for the suffering of the people here. Even if the province had fallen to Stroud, they would also be dissatisfied with that regency. However, the baron promised people to help them build the country. Unfortunately, the rebuilding of Altmere is not moving fast enough, and there are more and more people talking about rebellion. "
Ilyana scratched the back of her head and began in a puzzled voice, "But, in my unit, I met two men from Altmere. They did not mention anything about it. "" Well, "Kas continued," I can only assume that both of them have been living in Shoreham for some time, or simply did not want to make you sad with this story. "

The two were torn from their conversation when Sergeant Feather ordered the lunch break. "We will rest here for an hour and strengthen ourselves before continuing to West Altmere."
Ilyana could not wait to take a decent bite of her food. She had some potato bread, biscuits and mutton with her. Noon was very short and so they went back along the road. "We should be quick," Sergeant Feather began, "I want to be in the outpost before dark."
The farther east the group moved, the fewer houses Ilyana could see. The landscape around them changed from plains with lush meadows and dense forests along the mountains to a wide tundra and mighty rocks scattered everywhere. On the horizon she could see a larger, stone building. Kas nodded to her as if to say, "Yes, that's the outpost."

As the group set foot in the footsteps, the sun was already setting. "Okay!" Began Feather, "So we've already done most of the march. We will spend the night here and move west tomorrow morning. "The outpost was fortified with a good hundred soldiers who were the first line of defense and alert party. "Why are there many more soldiers here than in Shoreham itself?" Ilyana turned to Kas. "Most units of Shoreham consist of 15 to 30 men, love. Only in the case of an imminent war, several units join together to increase the troop strength. However, during peacetime, a small unit allows greater mobility and flexibility to represent Shoreham's interests in every corner of the continent. "Kas explained in a melodious voice.

While Sergeant Feather was discussing something with the Sergeant Officer, Ruby and Rita were already laying on their ears. Ilyana was tired, too, but the hunger was bigger again and so she sat down alone at a table and began again to nibble from her provisions. After a while Kas sat next to her and Celuvian joined her. "So you're Bersi's new protégé," the latter began. Ilyana looked at him a bit confused. "Well ...", she began a bit shy, "I am a recruit in his unit, yes, but I do not think I can be described as his protégé." Kas and Celuvian both grinned. "Believe me, you are his protégé. You just do not know it yet. You know, Bersi was once my apprentice. One of my best students I ever had. Bersi has tremendous magical abilities. Especially his poison spell is enormously dangerous for his opponents. You know the poison spell, right? "Ilyana nodded. The magic was actually not very difficult and many beginners of the mage school knew it. It only worked on one opponent, however, and it took a while that the effects started working, which made it very useless in a battle.
"Usually the spell causes nausea and dizziness. Bersi's spell, however, is already so powerful that it causes a high fever and quickly raises an enemies heart rate. "It's like he's a scout," Kas added, and Celuvian grinned almost mockingly. Scouts also frequently used plant and animal poison extracts. Not only for the elimination of individual goals, but also in open combat. They smeared their blades with it and even with a slight scratch the poison gets into the bloodstream.

"But," Ilyana began, "how did Bersi get so powerful?" Celuvian shrugged. "Well, I think some of us are blessed with great talent. Or he uses some tools. "Celuvian and Kas both laughed at the thought. "Anyway, lovely Miss Ilyana," Kas continued, "you should not worry too much about it. What's important is that you wager as a recruit and further develop your magical arts, as well as later refine your strategic skills. "" Strategic skill? "She asked him. "Oh, yes, Miss Ilyana. It is up to us magicians - or what we call ourselves, Arcanists - to develop war strategies to pave the way for our less fortunate soldiers to victory. Take this outpost as an example. What do you think: why is it of enormous importance for the control of the North? "Ilyana shrugged. "Well," he continued, "as you know, we are here in the middle of West Altmere. Compared to the east of the province, the west is barren and added, in the southern part swampy and dangerous. After the marsh, however, lies the mighty city of the queen: Barain. And as you may know, the Stroud militias we travel to are loyal to the royal family and their foolish beliefs. From this outpost we are however in the overview of the two places: In the south Barain, in the west Stroud. If we lost the outpost, we would have to set up our border troops at two places in the west, rather than at one. "Ilyana nodded and agreed as she understood Kas's concerns. However, she also had to yawn. "Oh, forgive Miss Ilyana. I certainly did not want to bore you. Rest, my dear. It is still a long way to go and we will be on our way in a few hours. "Ilyana said goodbye to both of them and went to the women's quarters, where Ruby and Rita also settled. Since leaving the Grove, she hasn't been in Stroud's woods. She was eager to notice the mossy smell in her nose. Soon …

The group set off at the first rays of sunshine. Ilyana dragged her bag, which seemed a lot heavier than the day before. Sergeant Feather looked down at her and twitched an eyebrow. "We're traveling light, recruit." She blamed. "What the heck did you pack in there?" Ilyana opened her bag and there were several foods. Jerky meat, fruit, but also bread and cheese. All the things she stole from the kitchen of the outpost. "I thought I should stock up my provisions, sergeant." Ilyana defended herself. "Stock up? We could feed on it for a week! "She shook her head, but finally gave in. "I do not care. As long as you can keep up, you can carry as much with you as you want. Maybe you'll build some muscle, "she said mockingly.

It took a few hours. The group was already in the eastern forests of Stroud. Just before noon, Jennifer ordered to rest. Ilyana sat down with joy on a fallen tree trunk and ate some fruits and cheese. Kas sat down next to her. "You have a nice appetite, Miss Ilyana. Do you want to eat all this by yourself? "He asked with a smile on his face, hoping to get some of her provisions. Ilyana, however, shattered his desire and produced a smacking yes. She had not recognized his intentions. Kas grinned and took out his own provisions. Some rusks and half an apple.
"You know, Miss Ilyana, the Elf Grove is hidden in these woods." She turned to him and said, "I know I'm from there." "Oh? But I heard you originally came from Durrun? "Ilyana nodded. "Yes, yes. I was born in Durrun, but when my parents died, I ran away from home. I do not know how long I was traveling. But somehow I ended up with the elves. They picked me up and taught me everything I know about magic. "Kas scratched his chin and continued," Well, the elves are definitely great magicians. Did you know that there are five schools of magic in total? "Ilyana considered. "Hmm ... I only know three" "Well, of course there's the mage school. People like you and me, or Bersi. It's the widest spectrum of magic. We have a good balance of defensive and offensive spells. Another school is the spellwhisperer. It is mainly used by the elves. "Ilyana agreed," Yes, I know them. With soothing chants, they borrow energy from nature to work healing and illusion spells. "
Kas nodded and continued. "The third school is that of the mystics. Celuvian over there is a mystic. These powerful spells were created by the Gargoyles. Well, at least from the old master race. Today's gargoyles have lost all relation to it, and only very few beings master this powerful magic. Mystics have a very wide range of offensive spells, but little chance to defend themselves. Quite the opposite of the spellwhisperers. "Ilyana was devouring her third apple, expecting more explanations from Kas.
"The fourth school of magic is actually only partially a magic school. And this is the power of the paladins. Their magic consists more of pure willpower than of the forces of nature. They, too, have their book of mantras. The honor of the paladins ensures that they are in the fight through their 'spells' to irrepressible beasts and even in futile situations do not retreat. Personally, I think it's more of a cult than a magical school, but the historians may see it differently thanme. "He could not help but smile, but his expression darkened as he started to talk about the last type of magician.
"The fifth mage school houses the perversion of necromancy. Necromancers are dark priests who allow the dead to rise and use the energy of the living. Their magic is strictly forbidden in Shoreham and anyone who uses them is sentenced to death by the Strand or the Halberd. "Ilyana stroked her nose a few times and asked him," But ... why? I've heard necromancers are very powerful. If Shoreham had such power, then ... "Kas interrupted her:" Forget this thought right away, Miss Ilyana! Death is final and should not be disturbed! Imagine you are dying and your body is being used as a puppet for the dark machinations of a sick individual? We are arcanists, we are wise enough to understand that there are limits to our power. And one of those limits is death itself. "

Ilyana said nothing, she only nodded slowly and looked at the floor. Kas put his hand on her back and began, "Excuse me, Miss Ilyana. I did not mean to approach you or hurt you. "" No, you're right, Kas. But ... May I ask you something? Can you just call me Ilyana? "Kas began to laugh aloud, drawing the attention of the others. "Of course not, Miss Ilyana! Such an admirable flower as you are, no, that would truly be under your dignity. "
Ruby came to the two and motivated her to move on: "Get up, you two lovebirds. Sergeant Feather wants to continue. She says we'll be in Stroud in about two hours. "

And indeed. In the early afternoon the group reached Stroud - a village in the middle of a large forest clearing. The thick, huge trees pulled a natural roof over the village. It was already festively decorated and the people were dressed nicely, while the soldiers were walking in polished black and silver armor.

Again, rushed it through Googe translate. So apologies for any weird words and sentences.
Feel free to critic it in any way, it would be much appreciated.

2x Covian Seal ⚜ Rage of Raaz ⚜ 2x Ribbon of Activity ⚜ Order of Leadership ⚜ The Richter's Crest ⚜ Order of Distinction ⚜ Jhelom Campaign ⚜ Coalition against Undead ⚜ Liberation of Nu'jelm
Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 11:13:23 am »

Chapter 4. Wohooo! This'll be probably the last one I share. At least until ppl ask for more...

Chapter 4 - Harmful Allies

Ilyana took a deep breath. It was a while ago when she had the mossy smell in her nose. The sunbeams struggled through the thick canopy and the birds twittered. A light breeze made her smile on her face.
"Ah, welcome, people from Shoreham." A handsome man in his late twenties with reddish-brown, shoulder-length hair came towards them. "I am Ian Wolf, corporal of Stroud's militia. I will be your host. There's plenty to eat, interesting conversations and some great competitions and games! "
Jennifer Feather went to meet him and held out her hand. "I'm Sergeant Jennifer Feather. We are happy to be here. It's nice to see that after so many years of bloodshed, Shoreham and Stroud can finally drink and eat together like brothers and sisters. "Ian smiled and agreed. Please, feel at home. The first competitions start in about two hours. There is a shooting competition, wrestling, and also a cake-eating. Take a look around and make friends with us." Jennifer turned to her charges and began, "You have heard the man. Show yourselves from your best side and do not forget, we are guest here! "

All split in different directions and sat down at different tables. Ilyana walked along the paths as she was plucked by a little boy on the kilt. "Can I help you, little man?" She began friendly. "You have weird hair." She touched her hair. Probably the little lad had never seen a magician. "Why is your hair weird, Auntie?" Ilyana went to her knees to come on par with him: "You know, in the East we say that people with weird hair have great talent. We have everything possible. Blue, green, red, purple ... "The boy grunted. "It still looks weird. What kind of talent is that, Auntie? "Ilyana smiled and with a wave of her hand she let three small lights appear, similar to fireflies. The little boy opened his eyes wide and a big smile spread over his face.

"Get the hell back from that witch, Thomas!" Two soldiers came towards them. The little boy immediately took off, while Ilyana got up again. Even as she stretched her neck and raised her head, she was still six inches shorter than the two soldiers. "What do you think you're doing, witch ?!", one of the two soldiers began. "My name is Ilyana. And I just wanted to show the boy a few magic tricks. "I do not care what your name is, witch. Dare not lay your hand on our children again! "Ilyana was outraged by this statement. "I beg your pardon? I did not mean to hurt him. He asked me a question and then ... "Ilyana was interrupted as the one soldier grabbed her hand and squeezed it tight. "We do not like witches here, so keep your mumbo jumbo for you, or I'll have to separate you from your hand!" Ilyana swallowed, but could not say a word. "Leo! Sineal! Immediately step away from her! "The two soldiers jumped and walked slowly away. Behind them came a man in silver armor, with an orange kilt on a sash of the same color. "I apologize, dear lady. I am Bladius Dart, captain of the Stroud militia. And these two ruffians were Leo Madsen and Sineal Walker. And you seem to have met my son already? "He pointed to the little boy from earlier, hiding behind a pile of straw. "Well, it seems that some are still out on bad blood, despite the truce. But do not let the festive mood spoil you. We are glad that you are here. All of you. "He left Ilyana as she quickly went in search of Ruby and Rita.

The next two hours she did not leave their side. Also, she could not say what had just happened. As she sat on a tree stump, Ian came to her. "Ah, you're Ilyana, are not you?" She looked up at him and nodded. "Your friend over there, Kas, told me you had a healthy appetite and could neatly put all in you." "So, he said that ...", Ilyana replied and looked over to Kas, who waved to her joyfully. "Yes, it's true that I can eat a lot. Why? "" Well, cake-eating starts in a few minutes and I need an opponent. How about? "Ilyana grinned and nodded.
Ian took her by the hand and led her to a table. There were five pies at each end. "The rules are simple: if you empty your five plates first, you win." Ilyana put the first plate in front of her, as a busty lady in a corset called for the start.
Ian dropped his face directly into the first pate and began devouring everything that came in front of his mouth while Ilyana cut hers into eight pieces and began to push each and every cut down her throath.

The two pursued their respective tactics, and while Ian was already experiencing serious trouble at plate number three, Ilyana devoured relish piece by piece until all her five plates were empty. With a slight burp, she finished her feeding spree. "Wow, you can really shirk something," Ian said in awe. "Well, you do what you can.", She said with a smile. "After eating so much, how about a digestive walk?" Ian asked and Ilyana agreed.

The two departed a good 200 meters from the events of the village when he sat down against a tree. "Uff!" He moaned, "I think I stuffed too much into me. A miracle that you can still stand upright "Ilyana held her stomach and said sadly," To be honest, I'm still hungry. "Ian laughed. "Unbelievable ... I still want to apologize to you, Ilyana." She looked at him in confusion. "Why?" "I saw Madsen and Walker mobbing you." "Oh ... That ... Yes ..." "Please do not think wrong of us, Ilyana. Not all people in Stroud are retarded sheep lovers. But the two are really quite conservative. "Ilyana raised an eyebrow:" Sheep-lover ...? "Immediately, Ian returned to the essential. "Unimportant. The problem is that our religion sees magic as something evil. And people who use it, of course. Did not you have any problems with that in Shoreham? "Ilyana shook her head. "Yes, I forgot. In Shoreham it is the Northern Avatarism. Actually, our faith is very similar ... But the Northern seems a bit more tolerant of others than the Western. "

Ilyana shook her head. "That is nonsense. I did not learn religion during my life with the elves. I have been taught to appreciate life in every conceivable form, be it a human, a flower, or a fox. Everyone and everything does their part. " Ian grinned and stood up. "It's best you do not tell them either about elves. They are too a problem for them. "

The moment Ian finished the sentence, a blade hit him on the stomach and hurt him deeply. He began coughing up blood and three goblins ran out of a shrubbery toward them. "Damn, uh, how could they sneak up like that ?!" Ian moaned, grabbing his sword as he prepared to defend himself. "Dummeh hume!" Shrieked the goblins, "Do not notice! Goblins eat you! "Two ran towards Ian, who managed to knock off an attacker's head. However, due to the turning movement, the second man jumped on his back and started stabbing him. "Por Ort Grav," cried Ilyana. Despite her little practical experience she could do some magic. The goblin who was after them threw back and lay panting on the ground. She hurried to Ian and kicked the goblin off him as she directed another spell on the last goblin. When she was sure no more attackers were left, she ran to Ian and put him on her lap. "Ian!" She screamed desperately, "you're hurt!" He coughed blood again and groaned. "Just a scratch." Ilyana tried to heal his wounds with her healing spell. The wounds were too deep and the spell did not work however. "We have to take you to the village, right now!" Ilyana tried to pick him up, but both fell to the ground under his weight.
"Uff ... Looks like that was it was for me." Ilyana started to cry, "No! Stand up! We have to take you to the village! " Ian tried to get up again. Ilyana gave her everything to support him. After a path that seemed much shorter the first time, they reached the outer boundary of the village. Ilyana started calling for help when Ian collapsed again. He coughed blood again and seemed to choke on it. "Ian! No! "Some soldiers and villagers, as well as Ilyana's cronies came to the scene. Some held their hands over their mouths and nobody said anything. Bladius Dart ran to the lifeless body of Ian and the desperate Ilyana.

"Get away from him ..." he said softly. "No, we have to be able to save him!" "I said go away from him!" He bellowed loudly and chased her away with a kick. Bladius ducked over to Ian's face and he closed the eyelids of the dead corporal. "Dart, I ..." Jennifer started in dismay. "It's best that you go now." There was a brief silence as Bladius started again. "I said you should go!" Jennifer grabbed herself again and called to Ilyana, who ran with wet eyes to the group. The soldiers from Shoreham left Stroud and when they were far enough away, Jennifer again gave the order to rest: "We will spend the night here and make our way home tomorrow. We can all need some rest now ... "

Ilyana plopped down on the cool ground and dropped her head, her eyes still red from crying. Ruby and Rita sat down next to her while Ruby began to console her. "Hey. The party was a nice break, was not it? " There was no reaction from Ilyana. "Say, do not you want to tell us what happened? The guy looked terrible. "Ilyana began in a shaky voice," I ... we were in the woods ... off the party. We talked. Suddenly we were attacked by goblins. Their surprise attack hurt Ian. Two rushed at him, one at me. He managed to kill one of them, but the second ... "Ilyana began to sob again. "I hurried to his aid as fast as I could, but ... The goblin was in a rage and had already hurt him too hard. I managed to kill the goblin, but ... "Ruby stroked her head to comfort her, while Rita meddled with a serious look. "You did what was possible at the moment. You can not change it, stop crying! "" Rita! "Ruby replied," You do not have to be so rude! "" Yeah, I have to! "Ilyana was still sobbing when Rita slapped her. She was stunned and looked at Rita. "You are now a soldier of Shoreham! Death awaits us all! "" Still, you do not have to be so rude ... ", Ruby replied. "If you lose control every time somebody dies, then you will soon also be making your last breath! Death can strike any one of us. Me, Ruby, Bersi - you too! You may mourn the fallen, but you must not let the feelings prevail! If you want to defend our borders against all kinds of enemies, I will not allow that we can not count on you, understood ?! If you want to avoid this fate among your companions, then get better! Train with Bersi and work on your skill. And now you should sleep ... all of us ... "

With these words, Rita left the two, and Ruby left shortly thereafter. Ilyana lay down and cried silently.
Off the action, Celuvian and Kas watched the three women. "Do you think she is regaining her composure?" Celuvian began. Kas nodded. She has a fine appearance, but inside she is a real, rational arcanist. " Celuvian chuckled," Could it be that you've fallen for the recruit? " " Do not be silly, old man. " Celuvian looked at him indignantly. "Old man? You're almost the same age as me! " " That does not matter, "Kas replied. "Anyway, we too should get a hat full of sleep, don't you think?" Celuvian nodded, and so they too went to sleep.

So, you made it down to here? Good on you! Again... I keep repeating myself, but... Translating german scripts into english is a pain... You can't imagine!

Furthermore, I know the first few chapters were... less action. Things get wilder in chapter 4 and beyond. But the first three chapters needed to introduce the reader to the different, valid people and parts of the lore. So yeah, please have mercy with critiques Smiley

Mercy
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:00:38 pm »

Good so far Leanne.  If you want someone to edit it for you let me know. I could also work with you to have it published when its finished.  I'm editing ch. 7 of mine atm in first rounds but the whole story is finished now.

Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 05:19:56 pm »

Good so far Leanne.  If you want someone to edit it for you let me know. I could also work with you to have it published when its finished.  I'm editing ch. 7 of mine atm in first rounds but the whole story is finished now.
Thanks Mercy. On paper its better formated. Google translate really fucks it up :/

Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 04:58:04 pm »

Chapter 5 - Revolution!

Three months had passed since the incident in Stroud. Ilyana has now been promoted to Watchman and trained almost daily with Bersi. So too today. On the roof of the barracks was a small arena where many soldiers were battling each other. Ilyana fired a few lightning bolts and fireballs at Bersi, who was able to avoid the attacks or distracted them. After another missed attack by Ilyana, Bersi set to counter with one of his fireballs. Ilyana managed to avoid it, but stumbled over her own feet. With her face in the dirt she could hear Bersi laughing loudly. "You did not plan that, did you?" Ilyana wiped the dust off her face and body. "Did it look like that?" "Not really. But no matter. You are making good progress. You would have caught me almost a few times today. Only on your footwork you should work. Do you regularly do the stamina exercises I showed you?" Ilyana nodded. "Good. Okay, I think that was enough training for today. Why do not you allow yourself a meal and drink in the Green Goblin? You deserve it." Ilyana said yes and saluted Bersi, who did like her.
Once in the tavern, several others from their unit were already present, beckoning Ilyana to them. It was Ruby, Viktor, Iolan, Gabriel and a civilian. She sat down next to Victor and signaled to Mizuho at the counter that she was taking the same thing as always: glazed ham and Rulk. "You still have dirt on your face, Ilyana.", Viktor began and immediately wiped her face. Ilyana pushed his hand away. Between her and Viktor, a deep friendship had developed in recent months. Nor was it a secret that amorous feelings had developed on both sides. Still, Ilyana did not like being treated like a child - certainly not in front of a team. "Somebody's not going to get his sugar today," the civilian commented and laughed, for which Viktor gave him a mean glance. "Hey, Ilyana, I think you do not know each other yet." Gabriel began. "That's my useless little brother, Lucas." "Happy to meet you.", Ilyana replied politely. "The pleasure is mine. May I say that you look really hot? ", Lucas replied and gave her a hand kiss, for which he again earned a mean glance.

Ruby nudged Ilyana nervously in the side: "Today I strangled a bear with my bare hands! That was so exciting!" "Ruby, for the last time, this was not a bear, but a badger.", she was corrected Iolan. "No matter! It had very nasty teeth and even nastier claws!" "Still a mature performance, whether bear or badger.", she was praised by Ilyana, for which Ruby put on a big grin. "Enough of this sailor's yarn. Lucas has news that should interest us all." Gabriel began, passing the word to Lucas. "It's more about rumors than news, brother. It's about Altmere. Allegedly, there should be a farmer blabbering something about a revolution. Hard to say how much of it is true. The fact is that many people from Altmere are not satisfied with Shoreham as their superiors." "Viktor, Iolan, you both are from Altmere, are you not?" Ilyana asked, and they both nodded. "What do you think about the rumors?" "Well," Iolan began, "it's true that there is some dissatisfaction in Altmere. Most likely, because there are only farms in Altmere that provide Shoreham with grain, potatoes and various fruits and vegetables, but get in return hardly anything from the state treasury. But a revolution? I do not know what they hope for it. Shoreham may not invest much gold in Altmere, but it is clear that without the army, the beautiful Altmere would be an easy prey for Stroud and Barain. And if that would be better than Shoreham I doubt strongly."
"I think Altmere people are not so much concerned about who rules over them, but someone over them," Viktor objected. "Altmere does not have an army, but otherwise the resources available to take care of themselves. I would appreciate it if Altmere became independent."

Gabriel shook his head. "May be nice and good, take care of yourself. But if Shoreham, Barain or Stroud does not rule over Altmere, what then? Orcs? Ogres? Gargoyles? Although all three nations would agree that Altmere gets its independence, I do not think the Guardians offspring will care. And then Altmere is defenseless." "What's the Guardian?", whispered Ilyana to Ruby. "Have you never been to a mass in the chapel?", she replied. "That's what the priests and nuns talk about all the time. The origin of everything not human and therefore all evil!" Ilyana raised her eyebrow. Bersi advised her from the beginning to avoid the chapel and Avatarism in general.
Lucas chuckled. "Irrelevant, this discussion about ifs and buts. The fact is that it may eventually come to clashes. What will the army do about it?" Gabriel's eyes fell on Ilyana. "Let's ask our aspiring arcanist. What do you think Ilyana?" She scratched the back of her head, but finally said, "I think the best we can do is suggest that the Commander offers our services in Altmere. Help with the harvest, repairs of fences, everything else in pending. In the process, we can continue the investigation of the rumor and at the same time prove our goodwill to the people." Gabriel nodded. "Yes, this sounds reasonable. I'll let Bersi know immediately and forward it to Commander Morana. And of course mention your name."

Gabriel left the group and set off. Also Lucas, Ruby and Iolan followed him some time later, until only Ilyana and Viktor were left. "Do you think it will come to a dispute?" Ilyana asked him. Viktor shrugged and said, "Could be. What I'm currently more interested in is that we're both alone." "Technically speaking, Mizuho is still in the kitchen with my food. Even my Rulk is not yet on the table. Where is she?" Ilyana replied. "Ilyana ... you know what I mean. Don't you think it's about time we meet, just the two of us?" Ilyana scratched her nose and said, "But ... We met now and here?" Viktor sighed deeply. Ilyana knew exactly what he was after, but played intentionally naive because she had no experience with the opposite sex. "Listen, Victor ..." she began, "I really like you very much. But first, the others are already talking about us, and second, it's all very fast. I have not even held a hand with a man, much less kissed him." "Well, there's a first for everything. And let them talk," said Viktor, taking Ilyana's hand and blushing her face until she finally made a smile.
"Am I disturbing?" Mizuho commented, placing Ilyana's order on the table. Ilyana quickly released her hand and blushed even more. "Thanks, Mizuho," Victor said sarcastically. She could not resist a smile. The rest of the evening passed without further discussion on the topic, before both returned to the barracks for the night's sleep.

The next morning, the entire unit 13 lined up in front of the barracks, equipped with tools from axes and saws, to hammers and hoes. In turn, these were Gabriel, Fred, Abigail, Viktor, Ilyana, Iolan, and the Whalebiter sisters. Bersi stood before them with a visibly tired look. "All right, people," he began, "According to Gabriel's brother, there is a fool in Altmere calling for an uprising. Regardless of whether these rumors are true, the fact is that the people up there are not very pleased with Shoreham's policy about them. Ilyana had the idea to show our goodwill by giving them a hand, so we help them to plow the fields and help with any repairs. Commander Morana has given his consent. All understood? Then go ahead in no time!"

As they approached East Altmere, they soon noticed the puzzled looks of the peasants. While it was not uncommon for Shoreham's soldiers to wander the area, they usually had no tools with them. It was not long before some peasants lined up in front of them. "Can ... we help you?" "Greetings," Bersi began, plucking his cap in greeting. "You can actually do that. As you can see, we are here to help you. Can you tell us where you need help?" The peasants looked at each other in astonishment and talked briefly, until one of them spoke up: "Yes, there are actually a few jobs where we could need help. The potato fields have to be prepared, and a few days ago a bear attacked one of our barns and ate four goats before we could strike it down. The wall should be replaced urgently." Bersi nodded and then turned back to his unit: "All right. Fred, Gabriel, Iolan, Abigail and I take care of the barn. Viktor, Ilyana, Ruby, Rita, you help with the plowing of the potato fields. All understood? "

With the command, Ilyana's group followed one of the farmers to the fields. "Yes ... there we are ...", he said a little slowly, while he stroked his beard. "Do you think ... you can make yourself useful?" "Sure! I grew up on a farm in the northeast. Break a leg." replied Viktor proudly. The twins and Viktor started to work and Ilyana tried to copy her techniques, but hurled her loosened earth repeatedly in Victor's area. "Ilyana, wait! You're doing it all wrong! ", he shouted. "Come on, I'll show you how it works." He approached her and started to lead her from behind." Look, do not try so hard with the hoe to beat you. Slightly loosen the soil and slowly pull it to one side. Without much effort." Ilyana followed his instruction and the four of them worked for a good half hour without taking a break.
They did not notice a young man approaching them. With a butcher knife, he ran screaming at Ruby and managed to throw Ruby on her back, trying to slam his knife into her chest. "Death to the oppressors from Shoreham!" he shouted. Ruby held his hands and tried to knock him down. "Can you please help me out with this madman?!" Ilyana was about to cast a spell on him, but then Rita came running and kicked her boot right into the face of the attacker, who was lying on the floor, bleeding and whining. Ruby got up angrily and already took out her hoe to the blow. "Tell me a reason why I should not beat you in a thousand small pieces right away!" Bersi, who came running with Abigail because of the noise, called her to let him live. "What happened here?!" he asked. "That son of a bitch tried to pull me off!" Ruby yelled, foaming with rage as she waved her arms wildly. "He talked about 'death to the Shoreham oppressor." Rita added. Bersi looked at him and ordered to tie his hands. "Abigail, Ilyana, you come with me. We will interrogate this lump. The rest keeps working, making sure there are no more incidents. "

The three made their way back to Shoreham with the prisoner to interrogate him, hoping to learn about the rumors.
Arriving at the barracks, they entered the dungeon compartment in the underground of the building, where Ilyana and Abigail tied him to a stone chair. Bersi turned to face him without expression. "What is your name?" The prisoner paid no attention to him. "Listen little one. You can just do it for yourself, or you're going to suffer a bit. Either way, we get our answers." The prisoner grinned, "Threaten as much as you want, wytch. You will not get answers from me. And dead, I will not help you!" "Oh, do not worry. I will not kill you. But I wonder how much pain you can suffer." With this sentence, Bersi struck the prisoner several times with his fist in the face, each time banging his head against the back of the hard chair.
"I ask you again: what is your name, kid?" The interrogated still made no move to reveal any information.

Bersi shook his head and asked Abigail to bring him a knife. "Ilyana, get rid of his shirt." With slightly shaky hands, she approached the prisoner's buttons, which stared at her in disgust. "Go ahead, wytch. Maybe you like what you see." She gave him a wicked look in reply and tore off the remaining buttons instead of opening them normally. Bersi took a stool and sat down in front of him. He began to make several deep but not fatal cuts on his torso. The prisoner cried out several times. "What's your name?" Bersi began again. The prisoner gasped and finally confessed: "My name is Walter Edwinson." "What do you know about an uprising in Altmere?" "I do not know about an uprising!" Bersi shook his head, and with a quick movement, even Ilyana and Abigail startled, stabbing his knife into Walter's right upper arm. He cried out loud that it was probably even audible from the outside. "You damned monster! Damn it!" he shouted again and again. "Information about the uprising, please."
Walter bit his teeth and spat into Bersi's face. He wiped the spit blood quietly from his forehead and pressed Walter's left hand firmly to the chair as he began to separate his middle and index fingers. Walter screamed again and the blood flowed so hard that he fainted. As the two fingers rolled to the floor, he asked Ilyana to get him a bucket of water, which she did. Bersi emptied the cold water over Walter and he came to himself again. "I'll ask you again. What do you know about the uprising?" Walter struggled to hold his head up and continued, "There are ... some men and women ... who talk about attacking the outpost of ... Shoreham. They... see you as the occupier ... of our country. They want ... no ... we want to drive you out!" "And what is the name of your leader?" Walter wrapped himself in silence again. "You are not very capable of learning, huh?"

Bersi got up and set the knife aside. He began to torture him with his lightning spell until several burns became visible on his body. "I ask you one last time: who is your leader?" Walter could hardly breathe. "Tho ... Thomas Hardwick." Bersi smiled. "You see? Was that so difficult? Ilyana, Abigail. Throw this measly cockroach into a hole. I do not want to see him anymore. I'll make a profile for this rebel fool. "
The two women released Walter's shackles and hauled him up under their arms and carried him to a cell, where they shut him up and left him exhausted.

That same evening, Ilyana and Abigail sat at a table in the great hall of the barracks as Viktor entered through the large door. His eyes were filled with anger and his posture tensed. He walked over to the two women, but did not sit down with them, instead began to speak in anger. "I saw the Altmere boy down there. What did you fucking do to him?!" "We interrogated him.", Abigail replied calmly. "Interrogated you call that?! The poor boy lies half dead in a small cell! This looks more like torture!" "You see, Viktor," Ilyana replied, "He did not want to reveal the information he had. So Bersi had to force him to speak." "This boy is probably not yet 20! You should not have treated him that way!" "Bersi said we ..." "Settle down with your Bersi, Ilyana!", Viktor interrupted her, "Bersi is totally crazy!"
Abigail got up angrily and grabbed Viktor by the neck: "I'm tired of your constant whining about Bersi! He's your superior and you're not going to talk about him like that anymore!" "Take. Your. Hand. Away." Victor's eyes darkened, and Abigail looked back with an angry, determined look. When she made no move to take her hand from his neck, Viktor kicked her on the hips, causing her to stumble backward. "So you want trouble, you filthy dog ​​?!", she shouted at him and jumped to him, while she aimed several punches and kicks on him. But also Victor fought vehemently and the two beat each other in the hall. "Stop that immediately!" Ilyana intervened. But neither of them paid attention to her. "I told you to stop, damn it!"

"An Ex Por," Ilyana said, using a paralysis spell on them to stiffen them. "What the hell is wrong with you guys?! We don't need these quarrels!" The magic dissolved after a short time and the two hotheads calmed down. "I'm out! I can not look you two in the eye today!", Viktor said and left the hall in the direction of the quarters.
Ilyana knelt down to Abigail and looked at her bruises. "He got you in the eye ..." she said worriedly. "Pfft, lucky hit. Even if it hurts a little." "Let me help you." Ilyana replied, casting a healing spell on her face to speed the natural healing. "Ilyana ... the guy is as unstable as a goat on a layer of ice." "I think it's just a lot for him right now because he's from Altmere himself." "So what? Iolan also comes from Altmere, but do you see him go crazy?! I know you have feelings for him, Ilyana, but if this continues, you'll eventually have to choose between him and Bersi. And I need to know which side you're going to stand on." Ilyana closed her eyes and said in a determined, albeit sad voice, "I owe Bersi so much, and I've sworn my loyalty to him. I will not betray him."  "Good. Good to know. We should get some rest. We will go to Altmere tomorrow. Just help me up and get up." Ilyana helped her up and both left the hall.

The next morning, Bersi, Abigail, Ilyana and Iolan left early to get back to Altmere. In East Altmere they gathered the peasants and villagers around. "People from Altmere!" Bersi began, "As some of you may know, one of you, Walter Edwinson, has tried to stab one of our soldiers! This behavior is intolerable and he is now in captivity in the dungeons of Shoreham. We know that there is talk here of a revolution instigated by a certain Thomas Hardwick! There is a bounty of 300 bronze coins for the one who delivers this troublemaker to us." The crowd did not move. Nobody spoke. Bersi looked around disappointed. "As you wish. We will strengthen our sentries in the south. The bounty will stay if someone else thinks about it." The four left Altmere again. On the way, Bersi told that he will place a small unit of five soldiers in the outpost.

Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 05:46:41 am »

Chapter 6 - The Butcher and the Mad Mistress

Several days passed since the incident in Altmere. Viktor mostly avoided the magicians in his unit. Even with Ilyana he spoke only a few words. She checked her reagents and put them in her bag. Bersi came up to them and Ilyana got up from the stairs in front of the barracks. She saluted him and he returned the greeting. "Let's go Ilyana. We have to bring this food to the outpost." Ilyana nodded and helped carry his bags. It was already evening and the sun was setting. If necessary, they would sleep in the outpost if it was too dark for a return.
As they stood outside the outpost, Bersi raised his hand, instructing her to stop. His eyes darkened. "Something is not right here ..." The two slowly approached the outpost. The air stank of blood! They opened the already half-open door to the outpost and in front of them lay two of the five soldiers, their throats slashed. "What happened here?!" Ilyana asked shocked. The two continued to look around and found another corpse, the face devastated beyond recognition. Both had to breathe through the mouth to endure the stench. They wanted to go up the stairs and discovered the fourth soldier. It looked as if he survived the first attack and tried to sneak away, but was finally stabbed in the back by the stairs. Once at the top, they found the officer on watch. She was the worst prepared. Several stab wounds, the abdomen slashed and the intestines scattered on the floor next to her. Ilyana vomited while Bersi examined the body. "Looks like there were several attackers. They sneaked over a window into the outpost and killed the two guards at the door. Presumably the other two noticed and sounded the alarm. But against an overpower they could do nothing. After all, they were only recruits.
Finally, the attackers came up and attacked them. She, too, could not do much against several attackers. "Ilyana tried to regain her composure and asked Bersi "What do you think? Who is behind this attack?" "There were hardly any ogres or orcs. These are not known on this type of ambush. You know who's behind it, Ilyana. The insurgents from Altmere!" "But ... What are you trying to do with it ?! They know they can not win a long fight!", Ilyana replied, shaking all over her body.

Bersi got up again and looked Ilyana in the eye. "They are stupid farmers! If they think they can attack us so directly without resistance, then they do not deserve to live! Come along! We will pay them a visit!"
Ilyana and Bersi ran out off the outpost and headed for Altmere. Driven by the anger, they quickly reached the first farms. "Let her burn Ilyana! Let's burn their fields and farms in flames!" Bersi began throwing his fireballs at barns. All the wood and straw did not take long until they were completely on fire. Ilyana too was driven by a boundless anger. She fired several fireballs at the newly plowed fields, which went up in flames under the extreme heat. The attack lasted almost two hours until the two stopped. Many buildings had burned to the ground, but none of the farmers dared to stand in the way of the two magi. Exhausted, they dropped their arms and slowly made their way back to the barracks. Some buildings were still burning and the farmers were trying to extinguish them. Partly they could only see how their existence dissolved into flames.

Back at the barracks, Ilyana's eyes were still blazing with such anger that she would have preferred to continue her rampage. Bersi turned to her: "We did the right thing today, Ilyana. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. We meant well with them, and they kicked our help, no, worse! They slaughtered our patrol insidiously! I will report an oral report to Commander Morana immediately. You can see that you can regain your strength with the little sleep you have left." The two saluted each other and Ilyana made her way to the chambers.
Her body was racing, adrenaline made her unable to sleep. So does war feel like that? She thought. On the one hand, it scared her. This anger and passion she felt were unknown to her. A side that lusted for power and strength scared her, but on the other hand, it was precisely this desire for more power and strength that spurred her on. She had no doubt that she had done the right thing. She had sworn an oath to protect the people of Shoreham and bring peace and order. But were not the inhabitants of Altmere also people from Shoreham? These fools! She thought and shook her head. Why are they launching a rebellion? Against their own people? How do you get to demand independence and to take the lives of others ?! With time and many other thoughts, her eyelids closed and the night allowed her just under two hours sleep.

The sun was already high in the east when Bersi called his entire unit for rapport. One could see that he had very little sleep. It was not even enough for a shave. Ilyana was no different. Deep dark circles around her eyes and a frequent yawn accompanied her today. "We have information that there was an attack on Altmere yesterday," Bersi began. "Apparently, two Shoreham dwellers set fire to several houses, fields and barns. We will investigate this. But watch out! You all know what happened last time. I do not want to see any of you out there in the dirt again, arguing with a peasant boy!" The unit made its way north again in single file.
Ilyana joined Bersi and turned to him: "Bersi, I ..." "You want to know why I did not tell them?", he replied and she answered with a nod. "You see, Ilyana, even if we did the right thing, we robbed some civilians of their lives anyway. Yes, we did not kill anyone directly. But the upcoming winter and the scarcity of food we are causing will kill some. Sick and old, above all." Ilyana scratched her chin as Bersi continued, "The problem is, our little unit has a very narrow field of view for the whole. They do not have the intellect beyond two meters of their noses, so to look at the big picture. At most Abigail might be able to do that. But then ... She's just a Keres ... And then there's Viktor. He does not like me and my leadership style. Irrelevant. It will probably not be long before he leaves the army. But the boy has power like a bear and he seems to be very fond of you. You should use this to your advantage. As long as he has feelings for you, he will raise his arms for you and your allies. And we can use that anyway. And now back into the line with you, we do not want any whispering."

She returned and began to think about Bersi's words. She began to understand that Bersi had a high level of tactical skill and tried to keep track of every variable of his plan - even though he had to be dishonest. She tried to trust that he knew what he was doing.

Arriving in Altmere, Ilyana first realized the destruction she and Bersi had caused last night. The fire made much of the earth unusable and many people were wrapped in blankets, unable to walk in a wind-sheltering house. Viktor turned to Ilyana: "Can you believe what happened here? That's terrible!" Ilyana said yes, but did not look him in the eye. Once again, Bersi stood in a square surrounded by his unit and some villagers. "People of Altmere. It's really a shame what happened here. But even Shoreham was the victim of an attack. The guarding soldiers in the southern outpost were murdered in cold blood. And we have good reason to assume that the attackers are insurgents from Altmere."
Again his eyes fell on the crowd. He sighed when no one wanted to stand up for their crimes again. "Well, if you still do not want to talk. We do not have to offer you our help. Freeze, starve, die. Shoreham does not care. If you want us as your enemy, so be it." Bersi turned his back on them and wanted to give his unit the order to march off when a young man turned to him. "Wait!" He exclaimed, "If I tell you who is responsible for the murders of your sentries, will you give us asylum?"
Bersi turned back to look the boy in the eye and nodded. "Shut up, you stupid brat!" A middle-aged man shouted to him. "Why should we fight?", he replied, "That makes no sense. We have hardly any fields left, no houses, only little to eat... The man responsible for the killings is Thomas Hardwick. He and four of his followers are responsible for the carnage. If you want, I'll bring you to him."

Bersi nodded again and the unit followed. He beckoned Iolan to him and whispered in his ear, "I can not trust the kid anymore than I can throw him. He will probably lure us into a trap. Tell others, but do not try to attract too much attention. And above all, tell them to be ready." Iolan nodded and let the message go through the series.
After about ten minutes, already quite apart from Altmere, they walked along a rock face. Bersi looked up, and he could swear to see figures up there. Just as his gaze fell forward again, he noticed the young man lifting a shiny piece of metal into the air and starting to run. "Off the cliff!" Bersi shouted to his unit, and just as they went to safety, several large and smaller rocks fell to where they stood before. Bersi watched as the boy disappeared into the forest. Shortly thereafter, a volley of arrows shot in their direction. Just in time Bersi managed to slow most of the arrows with a gust of wind. One, however, hit Ruby in the leg. "Damn!" She yelled and dropped to her knees. The attackers revealed themselves and some 20 people ran towards them. Bersi gave the order to keep calm and kill as few as possible. As the two rows met, a carnage broke out. Iolan used his spear to pull the rebels off their feet while Rita and Viktor tried to stun them with the flat side of their axes. Above all, Fred and Gabriel aimed at the opponents' knees to immobilize them. However, some of the defensive attacks resulted in a handful of rebels lying dead on the boggy tundra floor. Ilyana and Abigail tried to eliminate the opponents by means of ice and wind magic.

As it slowly calmed down and most of the rebels lay on the ground, Bersi counted the number of victims. Nine survivors, including the youth who had brought them here. Rita helped Ruby remove the arrow from her leg, which caused her to yell again, but slowly rose. Bersi ordered his unit to take the rebels' shackles and return to Shoreham.
The road was long, as some of them suffered serious injuries to their legs. Especially Fred's work.
"What is the purpose if you take us prisoner?" Exclaimed the young man. Bersi answered him without turning. "We'll make an example to you that Shoreham's enemies do not have a long life." The young man spat on the floor. "Do you really think that Altmere will lay down for us?! They will continue fighting until they have their freedom!" "Oh, I do not think so. So completely without leader, they are just a bunch of farmers." The young man completely lost the color on his face" Do you think I do not know who you are?" Bersi continued, "You are Thomas Hardwick. Leader of these lousy traitors. I saw through you the moment you spoke." Thomas said nothing more. He realized that he was in an almost hopeless situation.
Viktor was running alongside Ilyana all the time. She could see that he did not like the whole story at all. She was silent. She knew she was complicit in the situation.

Finally arriving in the dungeon of the barracks, they distributed the prisoners in their cells. The eight rebels and their leader. Nobody from Shoreham knew how many rebels were still hiding in Altmere. But Bersi was sure they would no longer be a threat without their belongings and without their leader. Iolan and Ilyana were scheduled for the first watch. They sat at a wooden table and played chess. Ilyana noticed Thomas staring at her in the back. "He seems to have kept an eye on you, Ilyana." Iolan grinned cheekily. She just rolled her eyes and continued the game.
It was a while before she couldn't stand it any longer. She got up angrily and kicked his cell. "Do you want a picture of me, you dog?!" she huffed angrily. "I recognize you. You're the Mad Mistress, right?" "What's that supposed to mean?!" "I saw you. You and your leader. The butcher and the Mad Mistress. Yes, I'm sure. It was you who attacked us. You have destroyed the lives of so many. Of innocents!" "You talk stupid stuff!", Ilyana replied while frowning. "We have avenged the death of our fallen comrades. People who you murdered in cold blood!"
"Maybe we are murderers. But that's the price we were willing to pay for our freedom." Thomas sighed as his body lowered. "Well, stupid only that you have not calculated the consequences for such a bestial behavior. Thus, the blood of the Altmere people clings to your hands."

Thomas was silent for a while. Just when Ilyana wanted to turn his back on him, he spoke again. "Tell me, how many of your comrades would you sacrifice if Shoreham were in this position?" "Please?" Ilyana replied. "Would Shoreham be under the overlordship of Stroud, or worse, Durrun? Deprived of your freedom? Less worth than the livestock that is too dry for the slaughterhouse? "
"You see Thomas," Ilyana began, "that's the difference between us. You risk the lives of your fellow humans for your fight. I, on the other hand, would receive a spear stroke a dozen times before I let one of my comrades kiss the ground. I would rather burn down an entire village of our enemy alone, if the situation was hopeless for my friends. Yes, freedom is important. But it's worth nothing if done in such a selfish way."
Thomas's expression darkened. "All these men and women have deliberately given their lives for the cause!" Iolan stepped to the cell and intervened: "It may be that some believed in it. But I come from Altmere myself, and I know that some of the people do not find it so bad under Shoreham's rule. And you have thrown away the lives of these people in cold blood as well. I do not even think they blame us for their misery. They will realize that you and your warring friends are responsible for all the chaos."
Iolan led Ilyana away from the cell, into a quiet corner. "So it's true that you and Bersi burned down Altmere?" Ilyana nodded and apologized. He shook his head. "You do not have to apologize. Although I come from Altmere, I have nevertheless sworn my loyalty to the Baron of Shoreham and his people. Certainly, the degree of destruction is enormous and... probably also exaggerated. But as I said. You do not take the blame. The origin is he and his followers." "Thank you Iolan ..." Ilyana said relieved. "Nothing to thank for. I will not say anything to the others. I think that they understand your motives, but we do not want to take any chances. Especially Victor. If he were still in Altmere, I think he would have become one of his followers."

The two sat down again. Some time later, Gabriel and Fred entered through the door. "Changing of the Guard!" Gabriel shouted. On leaving, Fred took Ilyana aside. "Can you do me a favor? Could you please take a look how Ruby is? Actually, I wanted to register as her mentor for the scout exam, but I do not know if she's fit for it." Ilyana nodded. "Yeah, I wanted to go look for her anyway." Fred thanked her and the two parted.
In the women's dorm, Abigail was in the process of caring for Ruby's wound, while Rita stood there staring. Ilyana knelt down to bed. "And Abigail? What do you think?" "She's lucky it was just the leg. The muscle is torn, but it should heal again. Assuming our lunatic here sticks to the bed rest!" "You're arsing me?" Ruby snapped, "What do I want in bed when there are so many things to hunt out there?" "Be sensible, Ruby, only once!" Abigail continued. "You know Ruby," Ilyana began, manipulating the simple mind of Ruby. "You have to rest now, so that you have enough energy to hunt something big afterwards! And you will also pass your scout trial!" "What's to hunt?! A dragon?! And scout trials? Does that mean Fred is finally going to give me the trial?" Ruby replied wide-eyed as Ilyana nodded with a smile. "That's amazing! But I hope you know that I want food in bed then! And you know, I eat almost as much as our blue-haired flamethrower here!" Abigail sighed and continued to care for her wound while Ilyana and Rita ran away. "Thanks," Rita began. "For what?" Rita gave no direct answer. "I do not know what to do without my sister. Yes, she often annoys me, but she is still my sister. The problem is, she is too overzealous. She is so reckless with her life. I wonder if she even realizes that in every fight I'm always close to supporting her and, if necessary, saving her butt." "I'm sure she knows what she means to you.", Ilyana began, "And I think she feels the same for you. But as you say, she considers herself the best archer far and wide and nobody can defeat her. She is just a little stupid. Not meant to be mean." Rita laughed. "No, everything is OK. I always say she was thrown up three times as a child but intercepted only twice."
The four women talked late into the night until it was Rita and Abigail's time for the guard. Ilyana went to sleep when Ruby already passed of exhaustion for a while.

Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 10:12:03 am »

Chapter 7 - The High Court of Shoreham

Several days passed. The trial of the captured rebels soon came to an end. The charges were riot, murder, threat to security, and high treason to the baron. Bersi kept his promise and the sick, elderly and children from Altmere were offered asylum in Shoreham. All healthy and adult men and women, however, continued to persevere in the north.

Bersi, Ilyana and Rita were in the Shoreham Court House. Thomas was sitting on the dock. In front of them stretched a jaw made of pine, at which sat the five judges, also called the Tribunal of Shoreham. Next door stood Kiran, a man in his fifties with short gray hair and scars on his face. He was the custodian for civil affairs and at the same time Shorehams executioner.

"The court is in.", One of the judges began. "Thomas Hardwick, you are accused of murder and high treason, among other things, how do you plead?" "Not guilty." Bersi could not resist a smile. The process was just a farce. "You are accused of having instigated the people of Altmere into an uprising against Shoreham, and thus Baron Octiovous von Richter. Furthermore, you also have a troop of followers ordered to attack a garrison of Shoreham, which ended in a bloodbath. And lastly, you and your men led a direct attack on Unit 13 of Shoreham's army, wounding at least one soldier." "Yes, that's all right, but ..." "So you confess your betrayal?" "No! Altmere does not belong to Shoreham and will never be!"
The judges looked at him angrily. "You're talking nonsense. Altmere is under the rule of Shoreham. Or do you want to stand instead of betrayal to be charged for treason and war before the court?" "Then it would be correct at least for the sake of form." Thomas said with a cheeky grin.

"I do not like your cheeky behavior towards this tribunal. Gentlemen, "said the middle judge, looking at the other four, "I think it needs no testimony. This man is clearly guilty of high treason." They all agreed with him. "Thomas Hardwick, I hereby declare you guilty in all charges! Together with your followers, you will be accused to be executed to death by hanging in two days!"

The judge tapped his oak mallet on the table and got up. Kiran led Thomas back to the dungeon of the barracks. "I think with the death of these traitors, the uprising in Altmere will also die," Bersi said. "Yes. At least we hope so," added Rita. Ilyana turned to Bersi, "Can I talk to you in private?" Bersi nodded and they both stepped outside the courthouse.
"What's up, Ilyana?" He asked her curiously. "I know we did the right thing, but ... I can not shake the thought of how he and his men call us." "And what do they call us?"
Ilyana played with her hair and looked at the floor. "They call you the butcher and me the mad mistress." Bersi laughed. "Well, I can handle meat very well, especially women's. And you already have something mad about you." Ilyana's eyes darkened. That was not the answer she wanted to hear. "You should not take such naming to heart. Try to see the positive: you are a soldier. And a soldier with a crazed reputation is certainly better than, I don't know, the merciful Ilyana." Ilyana listened to his words. After all, he was her big idol and all he said was of value for her.

"See, it may not be very flattering to be called that, but when your opponents hear that from you, there's already fear in their ranks, even before they've ever seen you. And fear greatly weakens moral morale. I expect you to replace me one day as a troop commander, Ilyana. And you hailed a decent reputation by then." "Do you really think I can replace you?" she asked shyly. "Certainly. Either you or Abigail. And I do not really want to see another Keres as a troop leader. The other two are enough for me."
"Speaking of it ... You're always talking about the Keres family. And I know from Abigail, that it is a pretty big family. But she does not really talk about them anymore. They all seem to be gifted fighters." Bersi grimaced slightly, running his hand through his hair. "It's true that they have talent. At least in the swing of a primitive weapon. The oldest of them is Leith Keres. He is a scout and leader of Unit 3. His special skill lies in espionage. He often disguises himself as a potted plant. How he does it is a mystery even to me. The next is Torrak Keres. He is currently Grenadier Sergeant of Unit 1, and thus direct deputy to Captain Grayner. He will most likely become Commander Morana's successor."

Ilyana tried to follow Bersi and get a picture of the names. "The youngest child is Abigail, you know her. The only magician in the family. And the middle child is Cailin Keres. Dumb as straw, but strong as a bear. She is a Junior Grenadier and, like Torrak, a member of Unit 1. There is also Sarah Keres. She is not a soldier, but a seamstress and tanner from the village. She mainly makes armor for us Arcanists."
"Are there any more of them?" Ilyana wanted to know. Bersi shrugged. "Who knows how many were bred by these walrus lovers? Anyway. I expect you to be at the execution as well." Ilyana nodded, saluted, and headed back to the barracks.

The villagers she passed by greeted her all. Ilyana was about to reach the rank of Junior and thus be included in the circle of Arcanists. Bersi worked on creating a trial for her. Every Watchman who wanted to be included in one of the three elite troops had to pass a trial. For example, aspiring Arcanists had to rely on their brains, while scouts, for example, had to lead a unit through difficult areas such as swamps or very dense forests.
Arrived in the barracks, Ilyana made her way to Ruby. However, she was previously stopped by Victor. "And?" He wanted to know, "How did the verdict go?" "Guilty on all counts." Viktor slammed his fist against the wall. "This can not be! Because he wanted his freedom should he be punished with death?!" Ilyana looked at him coldly. "Freedom or not, he attacked an outpost and murdered the crew in cold blood. And he also tried to kill us, do not forget that." "Stop explaining that to me, I know what he did. But I still think he was right. Do you not understand Ilyana? We are the bad guys here. Shoreham occupies Altmere and exploits it." Ilyana sighed.
"I'm sorry Viktor, but I do not see it like you. Iolan himself told me that many people from Altmere support Shoreham and are happy to be under their protection. Besides, Bersi says that ..." "I can not hear that name anymore!" he interrupted her. "Bersi here, Bersi there! You have changed, Ilyana. You are so focused on him. Everything he says, you suck up in you. You could almost say you have feelings for him."
Ilyana shook her head hastily. "Do not be absurd. You know that I like you. He's simply my mentor."
Ilyana wanted to take Viktor's hand, but he rejected her. "Might be. But I do not know if I still have such feelings for you." He left the barracks without looking at her again. She sighed deeply again and entered the women's bedroom.

Abigail sat at Ruby's bed, obviously trying to convince her to write and read. "Ruby, this word here! That is not deer calf! It makes no sense at all! What good would a Hritkek be?!" "Oh, can not I just keep drawing some pictures for my reports?" "No Ruby. Fred will expect a clean report from you. Concentrate!" Ruby began to sulk as Ilyana sat down. She gestured wildly. "I can not concentrate with so many people here!" Indeed. Lately the barracks were increasingly filled with troops. While normally only two or three units occupied the barracks, seven were here now. "Yes, they are really some more than before." Ilyana added. "Yes. But I know some faces." Abigail added. "I asked them what they all do here. They just said it was a direct order from Commander Morana to go home. They do not know than we." "Who knows what the old geezer wants. Maybe we'll go for a big hunt! But then I'm really pissed off, if I'm still tied to this bed, I tell you!" Ruby whined and pouted even more. "I hardly think so. Besides, what does geezer mean here? I find Commander Morana a picture of a man. I hope he might like to get lost in my bed. ", chuckled Abigail and blushed. Ilyana and Ruby also had to laugh.

"Rita was just here for a while. She said the traitor was sentenced to death by the tribunal. "Abigail said and Ilyana nodded. "He's right!" Ruby mumbled. "Because of him, I have to bore myself here and learn with Abigail." This gave her a scowl. "Well," Ilyana said, "Viktor disagrees. He thinks Shoreham is wrong. "Abigail shook his head angrily. "This stupid recruit is annoying me! If he does not like it, what is he still looking for here ?! "Ilyana sighed and dropped her shoulders. "Anyway. I let you both continue learning. I feel a hunger to be breastfed. "" Ilyana ... you're always hungry! "Abigail grinned. "Bring me something!", Ruby called after him.

Ilyana left with a load of food on a balcony of the barracks. It was getting dark and she recognized the first stars in the sky tent. Suddenly she heard a familiar voice from behind: "Well, I know that hair! If that's not the little Ilyana." She turned around and to her astonishment Celuvian stood before her with a chicken thigh in her hand. Ilyana wanted to salute as a matter of habit, but she threw her entire food ration to the head, which Celuvian sincerely enjoyed. She blushed and wiped the leftovers from her face.
Celuvian approached her and offered her his chicken thigh. "Here, I know you're always hungry." Ilyana accepted his offer and thanked him. "What are you doing here, Celuvian? Has your unit been ordered back?" He nodded and leaned against the balcony railing. "And do you know why?"
He scratched his chin and looked north. "Sergeant Feder has recently heard a rumor. Allegedly, the mayor of Avelsstrum, an independent island city in the north, has succumbed to illness and they are trying to keep it a secret." "Why do you want to keep it a secret?" Ilyana asked. "Well, Avelsstrum has rich mineral deposits. In addition, it is of strategic advantage for the position in the north. Neither Stroud, nor Shoreham or Durrun ever dared to take the island city. An attack on an independent village that has a leader is a grave offense and the queen of the capital would punish them severely. Now that it is without a leader and yet no new mayor has been appointed, it is virtually free prey. In plain language, whoever claims it first can keep it."

Ilyana nuzzled herself and concluded, "So Commander Morana is gathering our army to go to Avelsstrum and, if necessary, to defend it against Durrun or Stroud?" Celuvian nodded. "Correctly. You learn quickly. One can tell that Bersi is your mentor." "Thanks. But yes, Bersi is a very good teacher."
Celuvian smiled. "Did you know he used to be my apprentice?" Ilyana nodded. "You mentioned it on your way to Stroud back then." "I forgot. It's been three years since he joined the army. I have never seen anyone rise as fast as him or progress so rapidly in the magical arts. But it's also nice if your own students surpass the Master sometime, don't you agree, Ilyana? I hope you too will one day outdo me. I've seen many aspiring magicians in all my years ..." "One question Celuvian ..." Ilyana interrupted, "How old are you exactly?" He laughed heartily.
"Well, some say I'm almost 130, others say I'm just 40. I look like mid-50s maybe. To be honest, I do not even know exactly how old I am. But I'm sure Morana's paperwork would tell the truth." They both talked late into the night before their paths split.

It was time, the day of execution was here. The gallows were erected in the village square of Shoreham and prepared to make the souls of the criminals their own.
Around noon, all the villagers gathered around the gallows, and there were also a few soldiers, including Unit 13, except for Ruby, who still had to keep the bed, of which she was anything but pleased with.

The villagers distributed bad cabbage and spoiled apples and pears. They wanted to throw it at the condemned to death.
Suddenly there was silence in the crowd when Commander Morana, followed by Kiran and the prisoners approached the gallows. After a while, the villagers began booing and threw their vegetables and fruits at the prisoners until they arrived at the gallows.
"People of Shoreham!" Morana began. "We are here to see how these traitors at the Baron come to death by hanging!"
Again, people cursed in the direction of the prisoners. When they calmed down, Morana continued. "This should be a sign for all those who think they know better! Those who think they must turn away from Shoreham and the Baron, who show nothing but eternal goodness for our outer provinces. These men have trampled on this treasure, and now learn the just punishment. Give them your dying sacraments. "
A priest stood in front of the lined-up prisoners and gave them the blessing of Northern Avatarism.
Thomas looked at Bersi and Ilyana, then at Morana himself. "No matter how many people you enslave, in the end you all will destroy yourself!" Morana did not listen to him, instead he gave Kiran a hand signal to use the lever on the gallows door.
Two immediately broke their necks while the rest, including Thomas, dangled on the rope for some time before taking their last breath. It started a jubilation and music by violists, drummers and flutists sounded. Bersi was visibly pleased with how the whole story ended. Morana stepped up to him, patted him on the shoulder, and asked him, "You seem happy, Bersi." "Of course Commander!" he replied. Morana nodded. "You are allowed to. You have done good work. Your whole unit. It's hard to imagine what would have happened if the flames of the rebellion had widened, probably even to other provinces."
He also turned to Ilyana. "I'm very happy with you too. Bersi praised you in the highest terms. I expect to hear more from you in the future." Ilyana nodded and saluted her commander. "Well, if you excuse me ... I still have a lot of paperwork ahead of me. And my wife has been complaining of nausea for a few days."
He saluted his soldiers and left. Once again Unit 13 was entrenched in Green Goblin to celebrate the victory over the rebels. All, except Victor...

Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 10:46:59 am »

Chapter 8 - The trial

Another two months passed. Ilyana met her duties diligently and went to her mentor daily for extra hours.
The halls of the barracks were still filled with soldiers. Meanwhile, the numbers have increased to 300, she estimated. In fact, it looked like almost all units of Shoreham's army had arrived. She avoided most of them and preferred to spend time with her unit, but that did not stop her from talking to Celuvian and Kas of Sergeant Feather's unit about all sorts of things.

She was on her way to Bersi when she thought about Viktor. He left the army just two weeks after the execution of the rebels. However, he did not go in the usual way with a request for service confirmation. No, instead he just disappeared by night and fog. Not that she had talked much with him after her last fight. But it hurt so much that a once loved one just broke away from her.
She opened the door to Bersi's chamber, sat down in her chair and took out her notebook. "What are we learning today, Bersi?" she began while Bersi was still searching for papers. He waved off, however. "There is no lesson today." Ilyana looked at him puzzled as he turned to her. "I have something completely different for you." He put a sealed letter under her nose.
"That's where you find your trial. Commander Morana sent it to me today. I do not know what he's going to do with you, but I'm sure you'll manage to pass this test without further ado. "
Ilyana grew slightly nervous and shifted in her chair. She was staring at the mail, as if trying to read right through the envelope. "I ... do you really think I can do it?", she asked shyly, whereupon Bersi sneered, "I hope so! I do not want to waste my time. If you can do it, there is a great future ahead of you, if not. Well ... then you're dead. "
He turned his back to her and gave her to understand to leave the room.

She found herself in the women's quarters, where Ruby and Abigail were also. "Ilyana!", Ruby yelled through the room, "Good news! The doctor said that my leg had healed well and that I could start burdening it again! Soon I will be able to hunt again." Abigail shook her head and replied, "Just because you can slowly put weight on it does not mean you can run around right now! You have lost a lot of muscle because of the constant lying. Until you can hunt again, it will take a few more weeks to get rehabilitated." "Such a nonsense! "Ruby snorted, "What do you think, Ilyana?"
She only listened with one ear, and even with this one only Half. Abigail's eyes fell on the envelope as Ilyana held in her hands.
"What's that letter, dear?" she inquired. "It's ... my trial for the Arcanists." "Oh! Well, that's something! And what does the trial look like?" Abigail asked. "I do not know yet." "Well, check it out!" Ruby urged. "I can not believe you'll join in an elite group before me!" Ilyana smiled lightly and opened the envelope while the other two looked at her intently.

Ah ... So the little blue-haired lass is still alive as it seems to me. Let's see how much longer.
Ilyana! Your trial shall be the following:
As you may know, Durrun and Shoreham currently have a truce. But that did not stop those cowards from capturing one of our men. The fact that we also have prisoners from Durrun, does not matter here. Anyway. You are ready to trade our man for one of them. You will be the negotiating person. Let the messenger from Durrun know that we are ready to trade. He is currently in the Green Goblin.
The continuation of your trial will be to get me a star sapphire from the barrow downs of Avarice in the north. This should not be a problem for Bersi's student. But you should beware of the ancient traps in these tombs. And who knows what else is going on in these old stone halls?
For your tiral, I allow you to bring along four followers. Note, however, that it is advisable to spare two soldiers after the exchange of prisoners to protect the prisoner. Who you want to be your followers, I leave to your judgment.
Signed,
Raiden Morana
Commander of Shoreham's army

When Ilyana left the lines in a shaky voice, Ruby glared at her. "To Avarice?" she began. "It's haunted, I've heard! Honestly! Mizuho from the tavern recently heard Fred saying how he talked about spooky creatures there!"
Abigail wafted. "That's rubbish! Ghosts are not real! They are only made up for children's stories and fairy tales! And obviously in your hollow head, Ruby."

Abigail patted Ilyana on the back and said, "Do not worry, Ilyana. There are no ghosts in Avarice. Giant spiders and liches, however, are very real."
Ilyana swallowed hard and finally asked, "What's a Liche?" "A ghost!" Ruby said admonishingly in a loud voice. "Now shut up, Ruby! And no, a Liche is not a ghost. A Liche is a powerful undead necromancer whose powers are so strong that he could revive himself as an undead - and with a clear mind. Not like the other undead of a necromancer whose only targets are food and their graves."
Ilyana was visibly pale in the face. Nervously, she looked around the room. "Do you really think that such a demonic creature is in Avarice?" she asked Abigail. She just shrugged and said, "Who knows? Just think, for the hypothetical case that it is ... Fighting is not always the only solution."
Ilyana closed her eyes and tried to strengthen her resolve. "Alright ... I'll do it! But I have to set up a squad first. Abi, would you be willing to help me?" "Sure, my dear," she said smiling. "I'll help you too, Ilyana!" Ruby intervened. She earned an evil look from Abigail. "You, my little dumbbell, will keep your bed accompany, understand ?!" Ilyana got up and started slowly to move on. "Abigail, I will assemble the rest of the squad. I'm expecting you tomorrow for sunrise outside the barracks, understood?" They saluted each other, whereupon Ilyana headed toward the Green Goblin.

Already outside the barracks she was addressed by Fred: "So you have received your trial?" Ilyana looked around wildly, in the dark about where Fred suddenly appeared and how he knew about it. "I ... Yes, but where-" "How do I know that?" Fred interrupted her. "Ilyana, I'm a scout. Information and espionage are my daily bread. And sometimes I also spy on our own people." Ilyana squinted and asked: "Why are you spying on us? And most important of all, why are you spying on us women in the quarters?" Fred made no expression. "Not for the primitive reasons you might think. I know how the female body is built, and I'm not particularly interested in it. Especially not the bodies of my comrades. No, certainly not. For me it is all about finding any traitors or enemy spies. So I'm doing counterintelligence, if you like."
Ilyana tilted her head and was willing to buy the story from him. In fact, Fred was always hard to read, and even when she had to strip down to the kilt on a game of Stripdart, a favorite activity of the drunk guys, her sight seemed to disturb rather than excite him.
"Anyway," he continued. "I heard you are missing three more soldiers. I volunteer if you want. And I can also make sure Gabriel moves his butt. Of course, only if you agree. "Ilyana stuttered. "A-a-but of course! Your and Gabriel's help are very welcome! I-I expect you then-" "At sunrise, I know. We'll be there."
They saluted each other and Ilyana's footsteps led her toward the tavern.

She turned to Mizuho to find the messenger from Durrun. After a short conversation, she left the room and went up one floor to fetch the desired person from his room. Meanwhile Ilyana made herself comfortable on a bar stool and was about to snatch a few apples when a familiar voice made her flinch. "You know that's called theft, Ilyana?" It was Iolan who was already in the tavern and approached from behind. "I-I-I already wanted to pay for it!" Ilyana stammered. "Certainly you wanted that!", laughed Iolan heartily, "But who am I to tell an equal ranking soldier?"
Ilyana made amazingly fast progress in the army, while others, like Iolan, had more trouble with it. He was still the rank of Watchman, although he had served in the army for some time. Already Ilyana was praised as successor to Bersis. "Look at you," he went on. "You only recently became a Watchman. And it will not take long and you will join the Arcanist." Ilyana could not help but smirk and she took Bersi's letter out of her pocket. "Do not say ...", Iolan began with an open mouth. "I did. I received the trial from Commander Morana."
Iolan shook hands with her. "I'm sure you'll be fine!" he encouraged.
"Well ...", Ilyana continued and looked at him expectantly, "I would need a fourth person. So, if you had any interest in joining me?"
Iolan shook his head. "Unfortunately, I have guard duty in the dungeon this night. But come to us afterwards at the table. Maybe you'll find someone to join you. "Iolan pointed to a table near the dartboard where there were three more people. Two of them were Celuvian and Kas, the third person could not be recognized by her because she was with her back to Ilyana.
Iolan sat down again and, while Mizuho returned with the messenger from Durrun.

"Are you the person who asked for me?" Ilyana stood up and nodded. "Well, I hope you are the messenger your commander has promised me." "Yes, my name is Ilyana Melior, Watchman of Shoreham's army." "Well then ... Let's start?" The messenger sat down and showed Ilyana, to do the same. "We recently picked up a spy we identified as a member of Shoreham. First of all, the Durrun militia and trading company want to express their regret that Shoreham, despite a truce, does not release prisoners from Durrun and sends spies to our territory. But that's why I'm not here. This is a job of diplomats."
The messenger cleared his throat briefly and then began to read a letter: "We, the militia and trading company of Durrun, are willing to exchange the captured spy for one of our veterans, namely Esca the Bear. We allow Shoreham location and time for the exchange to be determined. If no agreement has been reached within ten months of the delivery of this message, the detainee will continue to be detained and sentenced under Durrun's law. "
The messenger took out a map and placed it on the counter in front of Ilyana. "Well ...?" He looked questioningly at her. Ilyana studied the map and tried to find a suitable place where they would not have to detour to get to Avarice. "We will meet here tomorrow at noon. We bring the prisoner and hope Durrun keeps her word," Ilyana said firmly, pointing to a forest clearing, an old graveyard, between Shoreham and Durrun. From there it would only have to go straight north to reach the entrance to the barrow downs of Avarice. The messenger nodded and put his card back in his pocket. "Very well. Immediately I will saddle my horse and then make my way back to Durrun."

The messenger left the room and went back to his room to get the rest of his luggage. Ilyana ordered a rulk and eggs with bacon from Mizuho as she made her way to Iolan's table. "Ah, you've made it!", Iolan greeted her again. She nodded and saluted the remaining three soldiers at the table. "Ah, it's a pleasure to see you again, oh adorable Yana." Kas wanted to kiss her, hand but she withdrew it. She smiled and greeted him: "Oh, Kas. A serious charmer as always. It's also a pleasure to see you again, Celuvian." "The pleasure is mine." he answered. Ilyana sat down next to Iolan and studied the previously unknown woman at the table. She had long, dark green hair, hazel eyes, thin and small and had a snub nose. She had the badge of an officer cadet. "I ... believe we do not know each other yet?", Ilyana began. "Oh yeah! My name is Elizabeth Martin. But everybody calls me Pickles. Probably because of my green hair. I'm Officer Cadet from Unit 2." "Ah, so you're under the authority of Sergeant Feather?" Kas answered for Elizabeth: "That's right! Celuvian and I are truly blessed to share unity with two such strong, sly and beautiful flowers." Elizabeth cleared her throat: "Anyway. I heard you are Bersi's little student? And Iolan told me that you just got your trial for the Arcanists? What is it about?"

Ilyana told the four comrades what their job was. From the prisoner exchange. From the star sapphire in Avarice.
"I understand." Elizabeth started afterwards. "So you still need a fourth person for this task? Well, I'm ready to give you Kas. However, I would be glad if he joins the squad in defense of the prisoner." Ilyana smiled and nodded vigorously. "Thank you, that's really nice of you Pic... Eliza ... um ..." Elizabeth laughed as Ilyana became embarrassed. "You can say it quietly, it will not hurt: Pickles." Ilyana smiled and nodded. "Iolan, can you bring the prisoner morning ready at sunrise?" Iolan nodded and patted Ilyana on the shoulders. The group drank and ate until the evening, before Iolan said goodbye first and the group disbanded. Ilyana retired early to allow herself enough sleep until the cock screamed.

And so it happened that Ilyana found her four allies the next morning. Fred, Abigail, Gabriel and the lent Kas from unit 2.
"Good morning!" Ilyana greeted her troop with a salute. "You all know our job. I'll go to the dungeon for a minute to see if Iolan has prepared the prisoner, then we can leave." As if waiting for his cue, Iolan and the prisoner in tow were already out of the dungeon, handing him over to the small troop.
Ilyana looked him over from head to toe and finally said, "You do not look as much like a bear." "I beg your pardon?", he revolted. It was a man in his late thirties with a brown ponytail and a three-day beard. His face was dirty, which was probably the conclusion of the stay in the dungeon. "They also took off my precious headdress and this cretin here claims that it is untraceable!", Esca grunted, pointing to Iolan, who did not really care. "I do not care about your headdress, bear. We have a march ahead of us, so I hope you can not do anything stupid and keep up." Ilyana made it clear to him that she had no interest in further talk.

And so they moved east to the agreed meeting place.
Their path led through a large mixed forest of silver firs and oaks. The air was heavy in this part and it was easy to get out of the way, especially as heavy breathing could cloud your senses. In the bushes around them, they heard the wilderness roaming around. Fortunately, neither Bear nor Wolf dared to stand in their way.
It passed a few hours and they finally reached the cemetery in the forest clearing. The dew and morning mist had already broken loose, but it took about an hour to noon. It was an eerie place. Some of the graves were hundreds of years old. Again and again, low necromancers gathered here to practice. Quite to the annoyance of Durrun and Shoreham.
"Tie our little bear over there to the tomb and breathe for a while. But do not go too far!", Ilyana ordered her soldiers. Even if it felt a bit odd to suddenly take command, it was somehow satisfying for Ilyana. Fred approached her and let her know that he was looking for Durrun's escort.
Abigail crept around the cemetery and inspected the grave inscriptions while Gabriel took an apple out of his pockets and began to eat it with relish. Kas sat down next to Esca and started a chat with this one. Ilyana approached him, "What are you going to discuss?" "Oh," Kas replied, "We were just talking about old times." Ilyana raised an eyebrow. "You know each other?" Both nodded. "Certainly, dearest Yana. I've traveled to Durrun many times for important magical documents, and so it happened that I often found this bearded man." "Magical documents?" Esca replied. "Every time we met, you were in Swaggers and drank your strange milk." "Milk?!" Kas snorted offended. "That's called Rulk! And it's a delicacy!" Ilyana shook her head. "Kas, maybe you should not talk too much to the prisoner. He is ... After all ... our prisoner." "Oh, dearest Yana. It is important to know people from other realms. Even if you do not like it very much. But as you wish, dear lady. You are the leader today and I will not contradict you."

Both Kas and Ilyana got away from Esca when Fred stepped back to Ilyana. "Durrun will be right here. Two guards. A prisoner." Fred looked at Gabriel and said, "That should be interesting for you above all ..."
Ilyana summoned her little band and they immediately lined up next to her. Two Durrun soldiers in their black armor and crimson kilt stepped in front of them. "Ah, how nice. The dogs from Shoreham are already here.", one of the two male soldiers started. "And you have our prisoner?" Ilyana stepped aside to give them a look at Esca. "And you? Be so kind and take off his sack," Ilyana demanded. These caved in and revealed a face that Ilyana had not seen for a while. "Lucas ?!", she called. It was indeed Gabriel's brother, Lucas Drachen. "Well, if that's not my sweet mage. Well, looks like the most dangerous man from Shoreham has become the damsel in distress." he greeted her with his usual cheeky grin.
"And? Will Shoreham stick to the agreement?" The soldier asked from earlier. Abigail leaned toward Ilyana and whispered to her, "We should just make the two soldiers cold, free Lucas and bring our prisoner back to Shoreham! The situation is favorable!" However, Ilyana shook her head. "Yes. Here you have your bear again. "
She ordered Gabriel to unleash Esca and pushed him toward Durrun's soldiers. These did the same with Lucas. "Well then. I hope Shoreham will not send their spies to the east in the future, as long as we have a truce!" The soldiers did not take long and quickly retreated back into the woods, along with Esca in tow.

"Brother! How dare you getting catched?!" Gabriel huffed at him. He shrugged, however. "Everything went well. Our sweetheart here has done everything right." "I still think we should have killed the soldiers and that's it." Abigail intervened. Lucas laughed and shook his head. "That would have been very fatal. They had a sniper in tow who kept an arrow on me all the time. If I had said something or subtracted from a crooked game, it would have been for me."
Now Ilyana also turned to Abigail: "I smelled it in the wind. My fine nose can locate food on a hundred meters, and so I have also perceived this unknown odor. Besides, it would not have been very wise for the diplomatic relationship between Shoreham and Durrun if we had killed the escort. And last but not least, my job is to conduct the prisoner exchange, and that's exactly what I did."
Abigail gave in wordlessly. "Anyway," Ilyana continued. "Kas, as I have promised, you should accompany Lucas back to Shoreham. And Gabriel, since it is your brother, you should also return to Shoreham. Abigail, Fred. Are you ready to accompany me to Avarice?" Both nodded to her without saying a word. "Thanks again for your help, sweetheart.", Lucas answered. Ilyana smiled and saluted. The group parted and as Lucas, Gabriel and Kas headed west towards Shoreham, Ilyanas, Abigails and Freds way north, led to the barrow downs of Avarice.

The road was only an hour long, but they were surprised by a sudden, heavy rain shower. They were standing in front of a large, stone entrance that seemed to lead deep into the mountain. On both sides were extinct coal platforms and several statues were carved directly into the mountain wall. Runic writings were visible above the entrance, but due to the rain, they were already barely legible anyway, and the ravages of time did its job.

"We're only getting doused out here, can we go inside, please?" Abigail asked her partners. They crossed the ancient stone portal as Fred fetched three still halfway dry torches out of his luggage. The two young magicians took on the task of lighting. "Let's move on ..." Ilyana said leading the group into the dark throat.
The rain and wind outside became ever quieter. Only the drop of stalagmites, the beeping of rats and mice, and their own steps were audible.
After a while in the dark, they reached a first large chamber. Fred lit the big brazier in the center of the room with his torch, and the fire lit up the room. Stone deathbeds were built directly into the walls, where skeletons of long-dead warriors and fighters slept for eternal time. Other coffins of obsidian, decorated with stucco, adorned the room. Ilyana looked around, hoping to find a star sapphire as Abigail warmed herself by the fire and Fred began to whet his blade.

Ilyana quietly read some of the inscriptions on the coffins - as best as she could, for the dust sat stubbornly on them. Her concentration was disturbed when she suddenly lost the monotonous sound of Fred's whetstone.
She looked in the direction he had been before. But there was no sign of him now. "Um ... Abigail? Where is Fred?" she asked, looking first at Ilyana and then around the room. But she, too, could not see him anywhere. "Fred? Fred, where are you?" Ilyana shouted. "Hello! Fred! That's not funny! "Abigail tilted her head. "Maybe he went further. Or he has his cock between his legs and is out again." Ilyana shook her head and said, "That does not make sense. I did not hear any footsteps running away. And look! His kryss is still on the ground.", pointing to Fred's weapon, which was still lying in place on the ground. Slowly, Abigail became too uncomfortable and she screamed out loud, "Damn, where are you, Fred?!"
A grumbling and clicking sounded in the room. The skeletons rose one by one from their stone beds. Their eyes glowed like a blue flame, and in their hands they held ancient weapons, from axes to swords and warhammers. "I ... should have been quieter ..." Abigail stammered. They both stood back to back, trying to keep the undead pack away with their spells. One after the other, they approached as the young sorcerers tried to fight their way out with fireballs, lightning bolts and ice magic. "We have to get out of here!" Ilyana shouted, "There are too many!"
"There!" Abigail replied, indicating a path from the great chamber. They ran as they threw some spells at the undead army and Ilyana could pick up Fred's weapon while passing.
They ran for a while, their torches in their hands. After they were sure they had escaped the undead, they both panted loudly. "What the hell was that ?!" Ilyana cried exhausted. "Undead." Abigail began. "These are the bodies of old warriors from Shoreham and Steggerhult. The dead were often buried with their weapons and armor here." Ilyana wiped the sweat from her forehead. "That these are undead, I am aware. But the question is, why are they undead?!" "Maybe here's a Liche!" Abigail replied. Ilyana shook her head, but also shrugged her shoulders.

"And what should we do now?" Abigail asked. "We continue. If we can not find Fred on the way up front, we'll find him on the way back, "Ilyana said firmly. "But what if it's too late?" Ilyana squinted and said, "He knew what he was getting into. Of course I hope we find him alive, but we can not go back yet."

Abigail agreed, and they continued along the darkened chambers. They tried to be as quiet as possible so as not to wake up any more bodies.
When they had gone a long way, Abigail asked for a break. Ilyana lit the old stone chalices, which were surprisingly covered with dry coal. Abigail sat down on an old stone bench and panted as Ilyana continued to look around.
Slowly she approached a corpse. She felt a dark force emanating from it, but it did not rise. It actually seemed that they seemed to respond to loud noises. She did not want to risk wooing yet another undead, so she went back to the chamber where Abigail was waiting for her.
But there was no sign of the young Keres. "Abi? Where are you?" Ilyana said in a low voice.

For a moment she felt dizzy with excitement and hunger. She took a piece of beef jerky from her backpack and unwrapped it as she searched the chamber for Abigail. But she could not find her.
"Okay, something is not right here!" she said to herself.
Ilyana, now completely on her own, continued to walk along the old tombs. A bright glow drew her attention. Slowly she approached the bluish light.
When she stepped on one of the stone plates, she was so startled that she took a quick leap backwards and fell to the floor. Which in hindsight was a wise decision, because on the side of the stone slab several spears shot out of the wall, which they would otherwise have impaled her. She got up and wiped the dirt off her bottom. Slowly she moved closer to the blue glow, even more carefully with each step than before.

When she arrived in the small room, she could tell what the light was. It was a star sapphire! The object she should get.
She inserted the star sapphire and looked around to see if there was anything else interesting to find here. Above all, she found old, dusty, illegible books that fell apart as soon as she grabbed them. On a shelf in the chamber, however, lay a piece of black rock, perhaps the size of Ilyana's head. Although it looked like coal, judging by its texture, it was more like a diamond. Because it seemed valuable, Ilyana also pocketed it.
Ilyana walked on through the dark halls, looking for her friends. Here and there, she avoided the deadly traps, spears shooting from the walls, to arrows fired in her direction. Her heart was racing and her body was experiencing tremendous tension. The many dangers behind every corner put her heavy.
It happened that she met a blocked door. She first tried to open the door with an opening spell, which did not help. Somewhat annoyed, she gathered fiery energy in her hands, shot to the door and shouted "Vas Ort Flam!"
It was a moment before an explosion ripped the door off its hinges. As the dust settled, she could see Fred and Abigail in a kind of magical prison. "Ilyana!" The two shouted as they recognized the mage, who immediately ran into the room. "What happened to you?! Who did this to you?" Ilyana asked.

Even before they could answer her, a deep voice from the shadows made itself felt: "That would be my merit." A sombre figure in a black cowl stepped into the cone of a torch, his face still unknowable. "And you are who?" Ilyana asked pejoratively. "My name is Gilligan, little girl. And you and your friends are here in my territory!" "Oh, and what does the good gentleman in this old grave want?" Ilyana confronted him. "He's a necromancer, Ilyana," Fred added, and she began to scrutinize Gilligan.
"Let me and my friends go, Necromancer.", Ilyana began, but Gilligan could not help but laughing. "Why should I let you go? You were easy to catch, but you will certainly do well in my army of undead." Ilyana wafted and added, "No. My loyalty belongs to Shoreham alone." "Stupid fool," Gilligan said, "It's not like you have a choice. You will bow to my power, whether voluntarily or by force!"

Ilyana tried to prolong the conversation. "You think you're very smart, huh?" she mocked him. "But you're certainly not as clever as me." "Oh, and you really think so, little magician?" Although Gilligan seemed annoyed, Ilyana had nonetheless caught his interest. "I'll make you a suggestion. If you can solve my puzzle, I willingly surrender and you can add all three of your undead collections." "What ?!" Abigail shouted. "Have you gone mad!? That's a stupid idea!" Gilligan ignored Abigail and turned to Ilyana. "And in the unlikely event that I lose?", he wanted to know. "Then you should just get me, but let my friends go." Gilligan laughed loudly and was probably heard through the whole digging. "You surprise me, Mage. This proposal is clearly in my favor." "Well, I do not expect to beat you in battle." Gilligan chuckled. "Smart girl. Well ... you have my interest. So, what is your riddle?" "Listen carefully, because I'll just say it once: it can not be heard, it can not be smelled, it can not be felt, it can not be seen. It lies behind stars and under hills, and empty holes it fills. It comes first and follows after. It ends life and kills laughter. What is it?"

Gilligan bit his lip and began to think. "I will find out. Just give me a moment." Ilyana stood quietly, waiting for a moment as Gilligan began to pace. It did not seem possible for him to find the answer to this question. Gradually he focused on the puzzle, losing sight of Ilyana more and more. He was visibly angry and grumbled to himself. As he turned his back on her for a moment, Ilyana whispered in front of her "An Lor Xen," and became invisible as in the hunt for the deer. Enraged, Gilligan turned back and shouted: "Damn your puzzle! I'll just kill you all!" But to his astonishment, there was no sign of Ilyana. "Where are you hiding, little bitch?!" he fired some icicles in different directions, hoping to hit Ilyana. Angry, he stalked around the room, cursing and spitting - until a cold steel drilled through him from behind. "The solution would have been darkness." It was Ilyana who sneaked behind her enemy and sent the coup de grace with Fred's weapon. Gilligan began to spit blood and dropped to his knees. "You ... damn bitch ... tricked... me ..." His last breath left his body and he fell to the ground.

Ilyana wiped her hair and ran to her friends, whose magical prisons dissolved after Gilligan's death. "Are you hurt?" she asked worriedly. Abigail shook her head, but Fred was visibly hurt in his pride. "I can not believe a stupid necromancer could sneak up on me!" "Maybe he used an Invisibility Charm, just like I did." Ilyana tried to comfort him. "Even if I did not see him, I should have heard him!", he replied annoyed. "Maybe I was too distracted from the grinding of my kryss, that must not happen to me again." "Now that you mention it ...", Ilyana began and gave him his weapon. "I thought you wanted it back." Fred gratefully accepted his blade.

"That was really clever of you, Ilyana!" she got praised Abigail. "How did you think of that?" Ilyana shrugged and said, "We all have something to be proud of. For us magical fighters, this seems to be the intelligence."
Ilyana looked around and asked, "Do you have any idea how to get out of here the fastest?" Fred looked around and said: "From the rock behind, I already felt a draft all the time. It seems like a secret exit." "But did you find what you came for?" Abigail intervened. Ilyana nodded and showed them the star sapphire. Abigail raised her thumb and they began to push the rock to one side. It all seemed like an eternity, when they finally felt the fresh air from the outside world.
"That's good..." Abigail commented as the evening sun threw its beams on her. Ilyana stretched her body and took a deep breath. "Let's go home," she said.

Arriving at the barracks, they said goodbye and went back to their quarters. As Abigail laid down immediately, Ilyana lit a candle and began to write her report until she finally lay down at the late hour.

The next morning she was standing in front of Bersi's office. In appearance, she had not even brushed her hair, let alone wash herself. A few bread crumbs still hung at the corners of her mouth. When Bersi finally arrived, he looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "At least you seem to be alive," he sneered. "Bersi, I have the report and the star sapphire here." "That's good, Ilyana. I already heard from Gabriel that the exchange of prisoners also worked smoothly. "Bersi opened his office door and stepped inside. He and Ilyana sat down while she handed him her report and the star sapphire. "Bersi, a question ... What is so important about this gem?" He left the report and answered casually: "Gems are needed for alchemy, more specifically for advanced alchemy. They are melted under extreme heat and mixed together with herbs for various potions. There are strengthening potions, so even you could pick up a fully loaded Grenadier. That's why such gems are worth more than jewelry." "Are there any such alchemists in Shoreham?" Ilyana asked curiously. "Yes, Kas Valentine is such a Master Alchemist. But making such potions takes time and absolute instinct. Unfortunately, the latter is missing something from the good Kas."

Bersi rose from his chair and patted Ilyana on the shoulders. "You did a good job, girl. I'll make sure you get promoted to Junior Arcanist rank. Congratulations!" Ilyana thanked him warmly, and just as she was about to leave the door, she remembered the pitch-black rock from the burial mound. "Oh, Bersi ... There was something else." She rummaged in her bag and laid the rock on Bersi's table. He looked wide-eyed and looked at Ilyana in surprise. "What gem is this?" She wanted to know.
Bersi grinned widely. "This is not a gem. This is called Blackrock. And a very large at that." "And is it good for anything?" she asked. "We'll talk about that another time. I have to adjust some research first. Does anyone else know about it?" Ilyana shook her head. "No, I did not tell the others about it. I completely forgot it." "Then it's good. Keep that for yourself for now. When the church hears about it, they take it with them, even before I look at it more closely. Take the rest of the day off, Ilyana. See if you can help Ruby to get her fit again."
Ilyana wanted to leave the room when Bersi turned to her again, "Ilyana. There will be a fight." Ilyana nodded. "I know. Celuvian mentioned something about it." Bersi did not look at her anymore, concentrating entirely on the Blackrock in front of him.

Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 08:55:00 am »

Chapter 9 - The scent of war

It was already a month since Ilyana's trial. She was on her way back to the barracks with her purchases. As always, she had mostly food with her. Seasonal vegetables such as pumpkins, eggs, beef jerky, ham... Proudly she showed her uniform while walking. The reddish gauntlets and leather gloves were the definitive sign that she had managed to belong in the circle of the Arcanists. Of all the three elite units, the Arcanists were the least popular among the villagers, yet they were part of the army and so no one would mind saying anything against them.

The reason for the unpopularity was the church. Although Northern Avatarism was more open to elves and magicians, the prejudices were still deeply rooted in society. Before the Reformation, the church often said that magicians and elves would kidnap and eat people from their homes at night.
Ilyana arrived in the quarters and sat on a spruce chair. The barracks had been emptying lately. Commander Morana confirmed shortly after Ilyana's promotion what Celuvian already suspected. Avelsstrum, the hitherto independent principality in the north, was without a leader. And, as he suspected, Shoreham, Durrun, and Stroud would claim to take possession of it. Gradually, the Commander sent several units to the coast of Avelsstrum to form an advance guard and set up an army camp. Soon it would be time for unit 13 to head out. Bersi once told her that it was Morana's plan to send fifteen out of a total of twenty-five units to Avelsstrum, while three units would remain in Shoreham itself and the others would protect the outer borders. Thirteen units were already in Avelsstrum, and there was a great chance that Commander Bersi wanted him at his side, and so Ilyana and her companions.

Rita sat down to Ilyana and sighed. "That was a deep sigh, Rita.", Ilyana turned to her. "As a matter of fact. Ruby annoys me. Again." Ilyana looked around the rooms and she could see that Ruby was arguing with Abigail, who was still trying to teach her to read and write. Ilyana smirked and said, "Well, she seems to be a hopeless case on this job, but at least she can walk again." Rita sighed again. "That's what bothers me. You know that we will go to Avelsstrum. And I do not know if she's ready to fight. I can not always stand next to her and protect her big butt." Ilyana's eyes showed concern, but she reminded Rita, "I understand you, Rita. But may I remind you of your words? Death can strike any one of us. You, Ruby, me. We must not let our fear out of hand." Rita agreed, but she was not satisfied with that. "Of course I hope we all come out of this, but ..."
Rita interrupted her. "I know what you mean. I think I'll just have to do my best." Ilyana patted Rita on the shoulders, which she did not particularly like. "I'm going to the roof a little bit. Iolan and Fred are training with each other all morning.", Rita continued. "Yes. It might change your mind a bit, Rita," Ilyana replied confidently as she took her bag full of food.

On the roof, the two opponents were already fiercely sparring. Fred as usual with his kryss, Iolan waving wildly with a spear. Rita and Ilyana leaned against the barrier and watched the action. While Iolan's movements were rather powerful used, it looked as Fred was like dancing. Even though his weapon was much shorter than the spear of Iolan, he still approached him often enough and laid him on the ground. Sitting on the floor, visibly exhausted, Iolan surrendered while Fred leaned over him and reprimanded him. "Iolan, how many times have I told you to make your attacks fluent? If you use all of your strength each time, your body becomes over-tensed and it's easy for me to dodge and counter your attacks. If this had been a real fight, you would have been quickly disarmed and reliant on your opponent's mercy." Iolan was too exhausted to answer him and was still panting. "Anyway. I think that's enough for now. Despite all this you have made great progress, young man. I'll be able to give you your trial soon."
Iolan started to gather again and laughed: "Great! I can not wait to see Ruby's face when she finds out I'm going to be a scout before her."

"This will probably have to wait a while." It was Bersi, who meddled in the conversation. "A messenger from Avelsstrum was just with me." All four looked intensely to Bersi, waiting for the news. "We will be called up as reinforcements immediately. Although our troops own the eastern coast, we fear that the West is in Stroud's hands and the North is subject to Durrun." "Have there been any battles? "Ilyana asked. Bersi shook his head and said, "Not yet. Although the tension between all three camps is high, there is still a truce between all three realms. However, I think that if one goes towards the capital Avelsstrum, the others will follow and there will be a fight. All three are out to gain control of the island."

Bersi cracked his fingers and looked at the small part of his troop. "Rita, is your sister fit for action?" Rita shrugged and said, "Regardless of whether she is, she'll come with you. Either officially or as a stowaway." "Good. Be so kind as to inform her and Abigail that I want to see them all in four hours at the port in Shoreham. Take everything you need for the journey and the fight. Fred, inform Gabriel." All four saluted and started to leave when Ilyana was grabbed by Bersi's arm. "I want to talk to you in private, Ilyana."
Ilyana followed Bersi and he led her to his office. "What's going on, Bersi?" He scratched his chin, but looked determined. "I want to be honest with you, Ilyana. The fight could become a massacre. The troops from Stroud will be especially dangerous. Their troop count more than twice as many as ours. And our predicament is joined by Durrun's troops from the north. The commander will want me to work on a tactic with the other officers, and I want you to join me." Ilyana looked a bit puzzled. "How come? I'm still a long way from being an officer." Bersi chuckled. "Correct, but you will one day replace me in my place, it can not hurt to gain your first experience." She grimaced, but agreed. "Well, Bersi, I'll help you." "Do not worry, Ilyana. At first you will only be an observer. Nobody expects you to throw in a strategy yourself. Now go and pack your things." Ilyana saluted and left the office for the quarters where Rita, Ruby and Abigail were already packing. Ilyana began to pack, visibly nervous on the task she was facing. Would she be able to live up to her expectations? Would she be able to protect her comrades?

While she was packing too much food again, Ruby tore her out of her thoughts: "Yes! Finally it starts! I can not wait to knock some of these sheep lovers off!" Ilyana looked at Rita, who did not like the job at all. "Just be careful, Ruby. Can you really use your legs again?" Ilyana asked worriedly. "Sure, of course! Look!", Ruby replied, starting to hop around on her bed. "It does not hurt at all, yes! I want to kill things again and become a scout!" Ilyana sighed but knew that Ruby would not change her mind.

Ilyana's group, as well as Unit 2, arrived at the port on the Shoreham coast. There was a smell of blubber and fish, everywhere there were boxes and barrels, filled to the top with salmon and herring. In front of them was the M.S. Covetous in the water, a smaller warship with two masts.
Bersi and Sergeant Feather lined up in front of the two units as Jennifer spoke up: "I hope none of you will get seasick, men! Our trip to Avelsstrum will take two days. I think I do not have to tell you the importance of why it's important that we take the area around Avelsstrum and not leave it to those dogs from Stroud or Durrun. Avelsstrum has rich ore deposits and the materials would be a blessing to our troops, especially as it would strengthen our position in the north. Although we have a similar scenario with Steggerhult, but you can never have enough ores." Ilyana looked through the ranks. In addition to their own unit were also Celuvian, Kas and Elizabeth in the series, in addition to some faces she had indeed seen many times, but never really talked to them.

Gradually, the soldiers went to the ship while the villagers staggered and cheered them. "Raise the anchor!" shouted the captain, whereupon the ship's crew obediently obeyed the command and spread the sails. "Get used to the ship first," Bersi advised his unit, whereupon Ilyana, Ruby and also Kas nestled below deck.

"What an excellent headdress you wear," said Kas, who made a comment on Ruby's deer scalp, which she always wore instead of her bandana. "Thank you, old man! But your pointed hat is not without either!" she said with a big grin. Ilyana was amused by the two. "You both look pretty ... inappropriate." Kas waved her off. "As much as I like you, dearest Yana, I can assure you that a fine headdress only makes our own even stronger." Ilyana raised an eyebrow and asked him suspiciously: "And how do you come up with such nonsense? Especially you as an Arcanist should not believe in such a thing." "Believe me, dearest Yana. It is so. Those who are dressed smartly radiate self-confidence and pride. And I'm sure the fiery red beauty here sees it the same way," Kas replied, pointing to Ruby. "No idea. I just like the deer. I had to choose between the deer and a badger. And the deer reminds me of the first hunting with Ilyana, so it'll be my lucky charm in making some sheep lovers and bridge builders cold." Ilyana fumbled a few apples and began to eat them when she said, "Do you think, we have a chance? Stroud's troops are said to be more than twice as strong as ours, and then there's Durrun." Kas scratched his short, fire-red beard. "Well, if you wish, I will always stick to your petite side, and intercept a hundred arrows for you, if you ask me, dearest." Ilyana waved her hand. "No, not necessary, Kas. I learned a lot from Bersi and already know how to defend myself." Kas nodded. "Anyway. Do not worry. On our side are Commander Morana, Captain Grayner, Torrak Keres himself, even Gregor Eason. Four tall men with the power of an ogre. The enemy ranks will shake in awe and fear even before we attack." Ilyana partially agreed. "Yes, Bersi has advised me that a certain reputation can be beneficial." "That's the way it is," said Kas, "that's what the good man explained to you. Take our spirited Ruby and her sister as an example. Rita looks cool and reserved, which makes her seem unyielding and stubborn, well-priced in a fight, while our dear Ruby perfectly plays the stupid peasant girl here that sometimes looks a bit crazy." Ilyana looked at Ruby in disbelief: "You play that all?" Ruby, not really listening but staring at Ilyana's apples, replied, "I play what? Oh! You want to play a game?" Ilyana and Kas both laughed. Even Ruby laughed loudly, though she did not understand what it was all about.

It was already dark when Ilyana was on deck. The waves were calm, it was quiet. Only a slight spray drove the ship forward. "A bit cold tonight, eh?" Ilyana was torn from her thoughts as Rita and Iolan joined her. "Can't sleep as well?" he asked her curiously. Ilyana shook her head and replied, "No. I think I'm hungry. Then I can never sleep well." Rita chuckled. "Have you eaten all your provisions empty again?" Ilyana nodded sheepishly. "You can have a little bit of mine," Rita said, holding out half a loaf of bread, which Ilyana gratefully accepted and immediately began to push inside her mouth. "What are you still doing out here?" Ilyana asked with her mouth full. "On one hand, my sister-heart is snoring loudly," Rita began, "and on the other hand, I'm a bit nervous." Iolan agreed. "Because of the upcoming battle?" Ilyana asked. "Yes. Concern for Ruby gets me done. I know her! She'll make some nonsense again and put herself in danger, which I'll have to rescue her again." "As long as we stay together, we can all keep our backs free." Iolan interjected. Ilyana agreed. "That's a good idea. So settled. The four of us stay close together all the time. So you do not have to worry about Ruby alone, Rita. "It was hard for Rita to show emotion. Even though her lips did not move, Ilyana could clearly see gratitude in her eyes. "The waves have a calming effect, don't you think?", Ilyana and her companions agreed. "I think I'll try to lie down a bit again."

The next day, Ilyana woke up very late. Judging from the heat inside the ship, the midday sun was already above the sky. The salt water left its mark on the ship, and so was mold and verdigris to the Norman trees. She stretched hard and moved slowly on deck, driven by an appetite. She tried to spot who she could get hold of, but before she found a potential victim, Bersi was already standing next to her and handed Ilyana a few pieces of rusk. "You have to keep your strength, Ilyana." Bersi told her. "You sleepy hat almost missed the rest of the cruise," he said pointing to the horizon. Ilyana could see the coast of Avelsstrum. The trip would probably take about an hour. She ate her rusk and looked a little over the railing. The sea air was good for her and she tried to count how many seagulls were floating along the coast by ship. Thirteen ... Fourteen ... Fifteen ... Over and over again as she got a different number each time. Sometimes she forgot one, sometimes she counted one twice. Before she knew it, she felt raindrops on her skin. A bad omen, she thought.

The ship approached the coast more and more as Sergeant Feather gave the instructions to move to the camp after landing and to first familiarize herself. It was particularly interesting for Ilyana to hear that they would make it in time for dinner. Ilyana was ready.

Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 10:03:27 am »

Chapter 10 - The War Council

The rain set in a short time massive and Ilyana and her comrades arrived drenched in the main camp of the army. "You can get quarters over there," Sergeant Feather said, pointing to a large canvas tent. It was tan in color and black, like Shoreham's coat of arms. "Get warm and eat something first. We'll come back to you later." "Ilyana!" Bersi added, "I'll get you for the War Council in about two hours." Ilyana confirmed him and went with the others to the aforementioned tent, while Bersi, Sergeant Feather and also Elizabeth went in the direction of the officer tent.

The camp seemed huge and confusing at first. The smell of rain, hearths and steel in the air was a special mix. Ilyana could hear the sounds of blacksmith hammers relentlessly working swords, axes and spears on anvils. Axes and saws working woods. Everywhere voices were audible. The smoke of the fireplaces swelled through the air and mingled with the wet, cold rain. No sooner had Ilyana and her comrades occupied the empty tent than some of the soldiers who were strangers to Ilyana came to them and distributed food. There was lentil stew in a broth mixed with long boiled rabbit meat. "Enjoy it!", one of them shouted as they moved on with their pot. "We seem to have arrived just in time.", said Iolan, nudging Ilyana lightly in the side, which like Ruby was already busy devouring the stew.

The interior of the tent was sparse. What made sense to Ilyana, after all, the army had to be able to quickly raise and lower the tents. A few bunks, a few boxes, here and there a barrel filled with water. Fortunately, the floor was still dry so they could use the central hearth and warm up. "Bersi wants to take you to the council, Ilyana?" Celuvian began a conversation. "Yes. He told me that one day I'm supposed to replace him and I'm already learning." "That sounds like a lot of work!" Abigail added, "But I think you'd be very suitable for that."
Ilyana seemed a bit uncertain. "I do not know. Everyone else here is at least as talented as I am, and probably more." She pointed to Kas and Celuvian and they laughed. "Do not be silly, dearest Yana," Kas replied. "The good Celuvian here is already too old to take on such a post. And I, dearest, am simply too lazy. My future would be diplomacy rather than war tactics. This is clearly a talent on your part."
"He's right," Fred agreed. "I remember how you took the lead in your trial. As if you had never done anything else. Thinking back to Abigail's trial... Hey, do you still remember Abigail? The thing about the ferret and the hive?" "Don't you dare to warm up that old story, Fred." Abigail reminded him, frowning. "I remember," Rita added with a laugh. "In the end, we all had to pay this old owl to return our clothes because you led us straight into a stinging nettle field. A true path of shame. Why were we naked again?", she asked, whereupon Ruby had an answer: "Well, because of a naughty ferret!" "I did not think it was so funny.", Abigail pouted. But her pouting quickly turned into a laugh as she was infected by the others. Especially for Ilyana it was unusual to see Rita or Fred laughing. But she found it a very nice moment that would be remembered for a long time.

The laughter stopped as Bersi entered the tent. "Ilyana. It's time." She got up and left her group, which was saluting her. It was still raining outside, even though the rain was getting weaker. Bersi said nothing on the way to the main tent. This allowed Ilyana to fully concentrate on her surroundings. There was a lot going on around them. Many women and men, all at work or sparring. They looked determined, but tired too. Ilyana remembered that some of them had been here for a month already.
Bersi and Ilyana reached the main tent. It was the same color as the others, but it was almost twice as big and on the top was Shoreham's flag. Two guards let the two arcanists inside. "Ah, Corporal Bersi and his future successor have also found their way here." It was none other than Commander Morana. Bersi and Ilyana saluted the attendees, who did it like them. In the middle stood a dark spruce table, and on it a map and various figures were to be recognized. "Commander Morana, Gentlemen and Women Officers.", Bersi began, "Some of you already know my student Ilyana Melior. She recently joined the Arcanist squad and has great talents. She will take on a passive role and just listen. This has already been discussed with the Commander."
In addition to Commander Morana, Sergeant Feather, Elizabeth and Bersi, Ilyana could inspect three other, previously unknown persons - all of whom had a bald head. Only their facial hair was different. "Nice to have you here, young lady!", The first one introduced himself. He was clearly the oldest of the new faces and his beard was already gray. "I am Gregor Eason, former Commander and now Deputy of Captain Grayner." He pointed to the slightly smaller, chubby man beside him. "Hoagie Grayner, that's me. Nice to have you with us, Ilyana."

The third bald guy snorted and shook hands with Ilyana. "I am Torrak Keres. My sister told me about you."
Ilyana shook his hand, squeezing hard, which made Ilyana's hand painful. In a shaky voice, she said, "Oh, so you have to be Abi's sister." Torrak just nodded and smiled slightly.
"Well, let's start?" Raiden began, and Ilyana stood between Bersi and Elizabeth. The latter was barely taller than herself, and Ilyana clearly liked to stand beside her. Most officers and soldiers were a lot older than her, but Elizabeth was still very young and a little naive. However, she could feel a strong aura of determination from her.
"Sergeant Feather? What are your Scouts reporting?" She stepped to the table and began to circle various points on the map. "It's as I expected. Both Durrun and Stroud have camped on the north and west sides, respectively. Unfortunately, it is true that they dare to march on the city and not fight each other." "Damn bootlickers of the Queen. Pha!", Torrak interposed.
Raiden rubbed his chin, studying and worried, he asked, "Any news from Barain?"
Gregor shook his head. "No. It seems they will not send their troops. So we can not rely on support. On the other hand, we do not have to worry about an opponent more." grinned Gregor.

"Sergeant, what about the city itself?" Bersi intervened. "The city is abandoned. The people from Avelsstrum have realized that there will soon be a fight here and have entrenched themselves with bag to the mountains."
"We do not have to worry about civilians after all," Elizabeth said, tapping her own nose. "That's right." Bersi continued. "Commander, I recommend an attack on the back of the opposing main unit because of our minority. We will need a few units to divert the bulk of the enemy's forces and lure them into the city center, where we can attack them with archers and arcanists."
"Oh, and who is going to be the sacrificial lamb while you fine flame throwers are attacking from safety? My men!?" Hoagie exclaimed annoyed while Bersi frowned. "Still, Hoagie," intervened Raiden.
"We only need a few soldiers for it. They should not sacrifice themselves, they just have to trap the enemy. Pickles, do you think the rain will continue like this?" Elizabeth moved her nostrils and nodded. "Yes, Commander."
Raiden chuckled. "Very well. Sergeant Feather. The rain will allow you and your Scouts to sneak around the battlefield unnoticed. Attack the opposing generals directly. Without officers focusing on combat, their morale will be destabilized. Hoagie, together with Gregor you will bring the main unit from the east. Wait for the others to prepare an ambush and stand with them once the trap snaps. Bersi and Pickles, you two will lead the Arcanists from the north, while Torrak and his grenadiers will launch a first attack from the south with crossbows before they also rush into the fray. All understood?!"

All officers, like Ilyana, saluted and said yes. "I want to see all troops operational in two hours! Everything has to go smoothly!"
Ilyana, Bersi and Elizabeth left the tent together. Barely out, Bersi gave Elizabeth a kiss on the lips, whereupon Ilyana's jaw dropped. Elizabeth smiled and said, "See you soon, sweetie."
Ilyana tugged Bersi on the sleeve. "You two are together?" Bersi just chuckled. "Together is the wrong word. She and I meet every now and then for... nocturnal actions." Ilyana pouted, but she did not want to ask further.
Arrived by their comrades, Bersi assigned them their tasks before they started to say goodbye. "See you after the battle!" Iolan shouted while Ruby hugged Ilyana and Abigail. Rita sighed one more time. She was still nervous about the fight. "As soon as we have the opportunity, we fight as a team.", said Ilyana, whereupon Rita nodded.
Fred and Gabriel set out to catch up with Sergeant Feder for the surprise attack.
Ilyana memorized the faces of her friends. She was nervous. Together with Bersi, Abigail, Celuvian and Kas, she set off to meet Elizabeth and the other Arcanists. Soon the city would smell like blood and sulfur. In the distance she could hear war drums. Depth, first slow, faster and faster beats. Stroud, too, seemed to be on the move.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length