Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:43:07 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  Scribe's Trove (Moderator: Kelly Sanderson)
| | |-+  Return to Cove (Again) - Diary of a Heretic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Return to Cove (Again) - Diary of a Heretic  (Read 3655 times)
Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:14:57 pm »

[OOC. I had thought of resuming Mischief’s diary, “Return to Cove” but then decided a fresh start might be better – there would be too much of a gap. So this thread “Return to Cove (Again) – Diary of a Heretic” takes up with her return to Cove once more. Please remember all information in the diary is OOC unless you actually played a part in the events or were told IC.]

I watched from a distance as Cove recovered from its terrible decline. Cove suffered just as badly as the rest of the land. Everywhere became more or less desolate and it was a struggle for those of us that managed to cling on. It was survival at its most extreme especially for someone like myself who relied on rich payment for work done. If there was no one to spy on, there was no income. Back to damned dungeon crawling to make ends meet that surprisingly turned out quite profitable in the end. But spying is my trade and I miss it. I think the only ones content with the state of these past years were the cursed drow, though even their numbers dropped too.

So as I watched, over time I remained undecided as to whether to go back again. Pro’s – meeting old friends again, making new friends, former lovers, new lovers. Con’s – meeting old friends again, making new friends, former lovers, new lovers. Hmm, what to do. Then I thought, where there is activity there is work. Jealousies, hatreds, revenge and greed all pay well, but is it enough? I have some work now anyway don’t I? Escaflowne is shitting himself because Vesper’s recovery has not been as prominent as Cove’s; he sees a threat in every corner and knows if Cove moves against him he will be wiped out. So he has employed me to arrange a meet between him and the drow bitch Vierna. Nothing good will come of that for him I fear but that is not my problem.

As I headed toward that depressing land known as L’Cress (The Web, how appropriate) I pondered hard about Cove. Never go back they say, but I already did once, would a second time be advantageous? My thoughts suddenly came to an abrupt end as I felt a cold chill race down my spine - I had arrived. She met me and invited me into her lair. I do not know how true her reputation is but legends do contain a grain of truth. One thing I do know is that Vierna is one cold-hearted bitch – assuming she actually does have a heart. Those cold dead looking eyes, violet instead of the usual red, bore into me. She sat on her throne and listened to what I had to say with an expression totally devoid of emotion and expression. For several moments she thought it over, if thinking was what she was doing, it was difficult to tell. Then she said one word. “Agreed”. She then caught me off guard and surprised me saying she would meet not at L’Cress but on the neutral territory of Umbra. Neutral? Blackthorn’s bare arse! She has total dominance over that soulless city. Good luck Bearman, you are going to need it. With a contemptuous flick of her left hand I was dismissed.

I headed back to Cove unthinkingly, staying in the shadows, remaining unseen and watching. Most of the faces were unfamiliar but some I instantly recognised – Pickles, Hoagie, Raiden. Should I, shouldn’t I? No Mischief the past is past, leave it. If you want to reacquaint yourself with old friends, fine but stay away from Cove. As I turned to leave, decision made, I saw something that made my blood turn cold and boil at the same time. A church was being built! In that instant I had changed my mind, now there was reason to return. That damned church has to be destroyed and all the corrupt bigoted “fathers” with it! Fond of your blasted pyres are you? The biggest one will be you and all your kind!

Later I headed to the Goblin and met Pickles. I’m not sure she was that pleased to see me for she seemed somewhat distracted, as if something was worrying her. I did not push it, do that with Pickles and she just clams up. The barmaid was new to me, nice lass called Carolin. When Pickles left I chatted to her and we seemed to get on well. We have met several times now and I learned something of her past. She’s had a bad life until recently which is probably why there was certain empathy between us right from the start. She has great ambitions if a little naïve and I sensed vulnerability about her. I’ll keep my eye on her, she needs protecting, not ground down by zealots for their own sick sexual satisfaction.

Over the next few days I met up with others known to me, some happy to see me, others not. As soon as I met up with Raiden he offered me a job that I accepted immediately. Finding dirt on someone was right up my street, I’ll enjoy this one. I did spot a couple of zealots but their presence was minimal so far. Who I did not see was the great Blackthorn bare arse kisser himself, Siegfried. Hopefully he is dead and rotting forever in the Nine Hells! Better still, that he is the constant plaything for the drow goddess Lloth!

The one person I needed to see was Ilyana. I knew she had returned but as yet I had not found her. I asked Pickles to get a message to her, this she reluctantly agreed to. Why is Pickles so reticent? It’s as if she does not want Ilyana and I to meet. Something’s not right but I will get to the bottom of it eventually. If the cursed church is to be erased I need Ilyana’s help!

So I am back and so too will the Sisters of Jaana!

Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 06:23:29 pm »

Bah! I think I am losing my touch. Mischief you were too rash.

Events over the last few days have not gone to my liking. I finally caught up with Ilyana and was perturbed to find that she neither recognised nor remembered me. We talked for a bit then retired to her home for a more private discussion. It bothered me she had little recollection of our past exploits and despite the fact I wanted to get to the bottom of the way she acted I realised that it would have to be taken slowly and carefully. The one thing that did stand out was her views on the church were exactly the same as the Ilyana I knew from before. We reminisced about our past activities against the church but I am certain she was putting on an act for my benefit, she did not remember at all. The one thing that was true was her hatred of the church. It was, if anything, stronger than it ever was. That was good enough for me for now. We parted later as friends again – no better than that, sisters again. As we left her house I noticed a grave in her garden. The tombstone had her name on it. She made some flippant remark about someone’s idea of a joke. Aye, right. I am going to have to have a serious talk with Pickles.

As luck would have it, sometime later we met again going into the Goblin. On entering we saw that a zealot whom I later discovered was named Danaeyl was confronting Carolin. Carolin was clearly upset and uncomfortable so Ilyana and I berated the zealot which resulted in him at least leaving Carolin alone. It ended with a standoff between the zealot and Ilyana that some bystanders witnessed. In the end the zealot wisely stood down and sulked off. To my disappointment one of the recruits gave the zealot my name after he demanded to know who I was.

When everything had died down I caught up with the recruit, a wet between the ears guy called Garshinkle, and pointed out to him that it was bad form to tittle-tattle. I then saw a golden opportunity to shaft the zealot. I told the recruit that the reason for the rumpus was because Ilyana and I had caught the zealot touching Carolin inappropriately and that he should report what he had seen and heard to Hoagie. He said he would speak to Carolin first but I advised him that it would be better for Hoagie to investigate the whole thing stressing he would earn good ratings for showing initiative, it was not a recruits job to conduct an investigation. He seemed to appreciate the advice but I suspected he would still do his own thing. I knew Carolin had gone to Swaggers in Vesper so I had to get to her first. As Garshinkle was still carrying a wound getting to Vesper first was a simple task.

I got hold of Carolin in Swaggers and filled her in on the set-up. She was not best pleased and it was then I realised my mistake. By being too rash I had inadvertently put a friend in danger. Even if she went along with the lie together with the full backing of Ily and I as eyewitnesses, the church would still find away to punish her. When the recruit finally arrived at Swaggers we managed to convince him it was a big misunderstanding and Carolin was not molested after all. If he has put a report to Hoagie outlining my version of events, I’ll smooth it over when Hoagie speaks to me.

On the journey back to Cove I was in a low mood, bitterly disappointed in myself. In future I must ensure I do not risk anyone else unless they are fully committed to the cause and are willing to take that risk. The only upside to the whole shambles of a day was that Carolin wished to become a sister.

Before I retired for the night I met up with the Yewish Waywatcher Aries Harper. I had hoped to persuade her to the cause. Whilst she was sympathetic she did not want to put herself in any unnecessary danger. That I fully respected. As we talked it was clear she was not ready to be a sister, but at the same time I sensed it would not take much to tip the scale the other way.

Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 12:46:13 pm »

A window of opportunity presents its self at last. Now it begins.

It is travelling market day in Trinsic so Cove will be more or less deserted, I’ll need to move fast. I make my preparations for a fast move. The putrid barrow of Orc and Troll shit has been festering in the woods for days, time to move it to a more suitable location. First though I have a meeting with Morana.

We met in our usual location and I passed on what I had on the target. It was not much but sometimes these things take time to build a case. People who have dirt tend to hide it well. Morana was disappointed and told me to end the assignment. What’s bothering him? The sod was shiftier than usual and slightly cold towards me. He tried to make out it had something to do with his men and that the recent run in that Ily and I had with the church put his men in danger. That was one load of bullshit. It’s time him and Hoagie grew a pair and stopped doing the church’s dirty work. The Militia is there to protect Cove not to condone church activities and aid in the death of innocent citizens!

Meeting over I dashed away to get this important though disgusting job done. As I suspected the town had emptied and gone to Trinsic. Any remaining Military were nicely cocooned in the barracks. Quick change into rags and a change of appearance, I wheeled the barrow load of shit into the church and dumped the load over the altar. Left a nice note saying – “This is the stink of corruption. This is the stink of the Church”. And did it not stink! Pity the poor sucker who has to clean this mess. Back to the woods, burn the rags, a clean up in the lake, back into my usual clothes then off to Trinsic.

I do not usually have much time for markets but it was essential I was seen and appear as if I’d been there all the time. I talked to a few people including Aries, who tried to persuade me to purchase new clothes. Not long after that I saw some bastard attack Aries. It happened fast and caused a lot of confusion. I felt sorry for Aries, I like her, but this was also a golden opportunity to solidify any alibi I might need. There were plenty around to see to her wound, I would not have been much help in that department anyway, so I hoped she would be okay. I felt bad; sometimes pragmatism in this business stabs you in the guts. Come on Aries you are strong girl you can pull through.

Later as people started to drift away, including Covians, I headed back myself and slipped into the Goblin. A few Militia wondered in and it was then I learned my little message had been discovered. That new recruit, Gar something or other, had made the discovery whilst doing his rounds. Nice to know, someone who is vigilant and keen, But that attribute is a double-edged sword, it means I have to be very vigilant myself and not get caught. They speculated on whom the culprit might be, it was a toss up between a particular officer in the military or the undead. I also learned that the recruit had sent reports to both his commander and the Church. Excellent!

Even later I met Pickles and went back to her place for a private talk. She was her usual coyness when I told her of my meeting with Ilyana. She was giving nothing away either. That leaves only Leanne, whom I do not know that well, to see. I’m inclined not to push too hard, Ilyana’s mental state is fragile – she’ll tell me or not in her own good time.

Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 12:42:38 pm »

Things are now beginning to fall into place.

I am now beginning to build my network of “little songbirds”. Already they are starting to sing sweet songs to me. The thing about having songbirds is that I also tend to get fed information on friends. Sometimes I get to hear things that they themselves have not personally told me. Do I feel aggrieved? No. Some dark secrets are shameful and best kept away even from friends. I have my fair share of mine that they are unaware of too. Such secrets involving my close companions, I lock away in my own personal vault. Nobody will find out. On the other hand when it comes to enemies and targets, well, information is knowledge and knowledge is power.

Reflecting again on my meeting with Raiden and with new information to hand. I will need to meet the bugger again. He’s been holding out on me. I knew his reasons were a load of crap. Protecting his men indeed – bullshit, it is the women he needs to worry about. Indiscreet activities – more bullshit, minor indiscretions cover more important clandestine operations. Maybe something has spooked him or age is catching up on him, whatever, he needs to man up and stop holding out on me. You cannot do a proper job without the full facts. And other thing, only I can cancel contracts once started. Hmm. A quiet word in Aries ear might help too.

At last I met up with Leanne. Hard faced cow. After a bit of a “mines bigger than yours” standoff, she softened a bit. It was hilarious that with all the real dangers going on, our first meeting after all this time was the equivalent of a male pissing contest. Anyway as our talk progressed I sensed we would become allies if not full-blown friends, good enough for me. Our aims are the same but for now in different directions. Unfortunately I got no further in finding out what has caused Ilyana’s present mental state. Something profound happened during the intervening years. I’ll get the truth eventually.

No further news on Aries condition but I did learn it was one of her own that carried out the attack. Still no real idea why but as the attacker was female, the most likely reason is jealousy – maybe Raiden played away from home. Then again this is the Yewish. The Avatar only knows what goes on in their heads, I blame the inbreeding myself.

I close my diary on more pleasant reflections. Got acquainted with a nice lass called Tingleith. Correct that, much more than nice. I had met her several times before and something seemed to click but last evening was the first time we got together alone. We travelled to Tokuno and we got to know each other a lot better. I love Tokuno, I go often for peace and tranquillity and for an antidote to my nightmares. Turned out we had a lot more in common than I had anticipated. Strange, they say opposites attract yet I find myself drawn more to people with similar stories to mine. Perhaps it’s the comfort of a horror shared, a horror halved. Anyway I am hopeful a long and lasting relationship will develop. Here’s to mutually banishing even our worst nightmares.

Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 02:32:58 pm »

A travesty of a trial, a crime against compassion, a display of perversion.

It has taken me some time to turn to my diary. The time to get over the travesty of a trial, still not over it but must move on. Even if the charges levelled against Ilyana were true, those perverted inquisitors made sure there was no room for compassion. No, this was designed to satisfy their sick pleasures and to utterly break a fellow human down to being the most worthless thing in the world. Ilyana, how strong she was, asked me not to attend and I refused. She then begged me and I hesitated. Finally she made me promise and I could not refuse. Even at such a perilous time for her she was still thinking of the consequences I would cause if I could not control my emotions. She had tricked me into giving my word. She knew I would not break it. Silently I thanked her. Seeing for myself what eventually transpired, I would have reacted in fury. I would have killed them all or died in the attempt.

As I watched the supportive, the curious and the downright glorifiers of others misfortune enter the church, I made note of another interesting aspect. A fair number of Yewish had turned up to revel in the spectacle, no surprise there, but I noticed most were heavily armed. Hmm. Could this mean the church was wary of a reaction from the Covians and needed the dumb blind following of Yew to make sure the corrupt will of the church prevailed? This needs further investigating. But what it does indicate is that the church’s grip on Cove is not as strong as it would like.

I visited Ily numerous times. I knew from personal experience what she had gone through. It’s not the physical pain, that eventual passes like the fading of ugly bruises and the healing of broken bones. It’s the humiliation that never leaves, the mental torture that eats at you, the nightmares that always linger to haunt you when you least expect. For six years the perverted masters of Nu’jelm had their way with me, then years later the perverted church with Siegfried as the prime tormentor. I had my revenge against the masters and Ily and I will have our revenge against the church but the nightmares will always be with us regardless. I hope in time she will let me in so I can comfort her and she me and with that comfort push back the nightmares. In the meantime I gave her a substance that will help her sleep. More powerful than shade with fewer side effects and much less addictive so it will help her some way if she chooses to indulge. We also determined to step up our campaign, not in a direct way as yet, but in a full on propaganda strategy. We will counter church lies with the truth!

In between visits with Ily, I caught up with Pickles again. She was horrified at what happened at the church and I think she now realises that what happened to Ily could happen to her. With her skills she knows she is at the whim of a psychopathic church and could accuse her of anything at anytime. With that in mind she pledged her support to me and promised to get Leanne on board too. I told her that I was not prepared to risk anyones life for now and that all I needed from her was to be my eyes and ears in the barracks. Leanne should do the same. We then spoke about Veldrin and she promised to try and arrange meet. At this point I’m not sure how Veldrin fits in to all this or what part she can play now or later.

More little birds are in place so I now have Cove and surrounding areas pretty well covered, stretching to Yew and Vesper. Not much will happen in Cove that I will not know about. All I need now to square the circle is to have a bird in the church itself!

I finish this entry on a lighter note. I bumped into Leanne again, this time a little less of a standoff. I’ve nicknamed her, for myself only, Miss Frosty Knickers. Purely on the basis of her attitude to me, despite the fact those very close to her do trust me. But there is a spark of fire about her that I like and I don’t just mean the feistiness. In another time, in another place I’d relish the challenge of making a play for her. But that is a fantasy. She and Pickles are made for each other and I would hang myself before coming between them. When, not if, I get her trust, that will satisfy me enough and make me happy.

Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 02:10:08 pm »

Corruption, hypocrisy and lies.

Been an eventful last few days, I have been busy behind the scenes nurturing my network and all seems well. There is a new Inn being built opposite the Green Goblin pub and I have gone into partnership with Carolin the owner. This provides me with excellent cover and another avenue to exploit. If the church sees me as a “good citizen” then the better chance I will be left in peace to get on with my “real” work.

In the late evening of one night a blue magical portal appeared, which some call a “moongate”, not far from the barracks door. Nothing particularly unusual in itself but what stunned me and the various citizens and military nearby was who emerged from the portal. It was none other than a church Inquisitor! Well, well, well. The church classes ordinary arcanists as wytches and there before my eyes was a church official using “evil magic”! What a prime example of hypocrisy! This was a gift for our campaign against the church, one to exploit to the full. So it is one law for the church and other for the rest of us – do as I say not as I do? Huh. The Avatar led by example, the church that soils his name is nothing but a self-serving, perverted, brutish tyranny.

The following evening I struck up a conversation in the Goblin with a young military girl by the name of Sheriam. As we got chatting the conversation turned to the church. Turns out she had recently left Templewood following the death of her mentor and had signed up with the Covian army. Her origin intrigued me and it turned out that my suspicions were correct, she was a true Avatarian. She was a follower of the true church. I made up my mind there and then to befriend the girl. She is just the kind of person that will be useful to our campaign. Someone who knows the true message of the Avatar, not the corrupt bastardisation of Cove and Yew. I must be cautious with her though so as not to “spook” her. At this point her faith would prevent her from going against even the corrupt version she attends.

After leaving Sheriam I retired to the half build Inn to get some rest. In the stupid o’ clock hours of the morning I was awaken by a loud explosive sound. Shit! What now? Turns out the church had been damaged by a cannon shot. Oh how I laughed. So someone also with a grievance had decided on the direct action method. More power to them. Then it dawned upon me, this could back fire on me. Although the church as yet had not cottoned on to the fact I was back, it was only a matter of time. Even although they would know that blowing up buildings is not my modus operandi that would not stop them making me a scapegoat. Any rogue operations against the church is helpful but the Sisters will not be part of it. We have our own agenda.

Last night I joined Leanne and her troop on a supply patrol to Altmere. Gave me a chance to observe her closely and no doubt she did the same to me. Not far outside our destination we were ambushed, as expected, by a bunch of undead. In the ensuing melee, I took down one of the tragic creatures. A fruitless exercise really since it will just rise again later. Still unless undead can regenerated, this one will be minus its right hand for I cut it off and put it in my pocket for later disposal. Afterwards Leanne, Pickles and myself had a long chat. I think at last she is beginning to thaw a little towards me. Maybe calling her Miss Frosty Knickers is a bit unfair. I think the route cause of her antagonism lies in the fact I have and still do, deal with the drow. I told her that in my business I have to deal with things that are distasteful even to me. She was taken aback when I explained that just about all city leaders, including Cove, have all at one time or another ask me to be a go-between and arrange a meeting with the drow queen. What they discussed is not my concern, I do not know and nor do I want to. I think she seemed to understand that apart from arranging clandestine trysts I would have nothing to do with them. Knowing what her and Pickles experience at the hands of those bitches it is natural to think I may have been in league with them. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Late that evening I relaxed in the Goblin, water only, I do not drink thank goodness. The Goblin was raucous and full of people who were intent on getting drunk. I tried to speak with Sheriam, since she at least was remaining sober but it was futile amid the noise and chaos. One thing that did stand out was a guy called Sergio. I had been tipped off that he was a possible candidate to be part of our operation. In his drunken stupor he mouthed off loudly about the church that were heretical and down right dangerous. Fortunately for him no churchies were present nor were most of his companions sober enough to understand what he was saying. Only Sheriam noticed and tried to calm him, clearly she understood how stupid he was. When a man gets drunk, the few brain cells he processes just turn to mush. I mentally crossed his name off my list. When Aries arrived I tried to get her attention, I wanted to pass on my support for her in the up and coming trial. But either I was always on her “wrong” side or the distractions were too much. By this time the stink of vomit was becoming unbearable and when a fight broke out, I had had enough and left.

It had been a hectic week and I needed some peace and solitude. I wandered aimlessly and the next thing I knew I was outside Ilyana’s place. I noticed her bedroom window was slightly open and unthinkingly I climbed up and noiselessly broke in. I sat in a chair near her bed I watched her sleep so peacefully. Just watching over her filled me with peace and well-being. She had obviously taken one of the powders I had given her because I could tell by her facial expressions she was not suffering terrible nightmares. Quite the opposite in fact. That made me feel even more serene so I stayed for hours, much longer than I should have. Thank you Ilyana, tonight I am at peace. The sun had just begun to rise so I left as silently as I entered. Before I left, I placed a single golden rose at the bottom of her bed. When she awakes she’ll wonder how it got there and who placed it.

Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 02:52:19 pm »

Lies, damned lies, brutality and hypocrisy.

Sunday, bloody Sunday. Late afternoon and the town is paralysed in apprehension – no fear. That is the grip those monsters that call themselves “Men of the Avatar” have on this place. It has always been this way. The people are ignorant, they only know the corrupt ways of their church and pointing this out only draws blank stares. Falsehood must be countered by truth, so disguised as a church servant dressed in brilliant white to draw attention, I distributed as many of Friar Wellesly’s books as I could. I then changed into another disguise and attended the service. I could barely take the stench of hatred that oozed from the mouth of Hugo. Ilyana was once again brutalised and humiliated and I could feel the bile rise up and it took all my will not to throw up. I could stand it no longer, I had to leave and get some air. It took all my strength not to react seeing Ilyana chained to the pole in the church grounds and listen to Yewish inbred bastards mock her. I noted who they were and resolved to get them one by one even if it took me a lifetime.

Coincidentally, Yew was my next destination. It was the trial of Nadia for the attempted murder of Aries Harper. What I witnessed was a pure travesty of justice. The whole thing should have been cut and dried as Nadia had admitted her guilt and there were numerous witnesses to the attempt anyway. But the trial descended into a total farce where the victim was portrayed as the guilty party rather than the perpetrator. Poor Aries’ private life was exposed to the court, as if that had any relevance to the case. The verdict was equally farcical. For attempted murder a pathetic dishonourable discharge! Ilyana gets brutalised for some trivial offence whilst an attempted murderer walks scot-free! The only explanation to that travesty is that Nadia shagged her way out of it with Hugo and the rest of his church hypocrites. She looked like a whore, spoke like a whore, so most likely whored her way out of deserved punishment. As for Aries she has 6 weeks to marry Morana or else suffer dire consequences. Morana has the bigger problem for in that time he has to prove his wife is dead. Good luck on that Raiden, no doubt you will be calling on me anytime soon.

I returned to Cove and kept vigil over Ilyana and I will do so every night until she is released. In the water I gave her, I slipped in a little amount of the Heartwood powder. Just enough to dull the pain and send her to a dreamless sleep. As dawn approached I returned to the Inn to find a note directing me to particular destination. Tired as I was I headed straight there to find a message from one of the Sisters. I gave a terse reply arranging a meeting and headed off, I was desperate for sleep.

After I slept most of the day it was time to get back to work. Seems I’m going to become nocturnal for the foreseeable future. I joined Kelly Sanderson’s task force early in the evening primarily because I wanted a chance to speak to her privately. The chance arose but I did not make any headway. Despite the growing sense of unease within the Militia ranks, some already on the verge of revolt, many are too far indoctrinated to see the corrupt nature of the Covian Avararian church. When I told Kelly that Cove stood for one of the Avatar’s principles, that of love, she just looked bemused. Even personal tragedy at the hands of the church was not enough for her to fight back. The culture, the indoctrination is too far ingrained. But the more Hugo and his band of perverted zealots continue with their brutality, the more likely the people will eventually turn. Make Ilyana a martyr Hugo, and it is a victory for us, not you!

I also had a brief conversation with a female cleric who was charged with keeping an eye on Ilyana. What a stupid ignorant bitch she turned out to be. No, that is unfair, she has been brainwashed into an unthinking subservient zombie. A dark thought crossed my mind. How easy it would be to have this mindless creature kidnapped and sold to the drow. Mischief you are treading a very thin line here, can you stoop so low? An eye for an eye, fight fire with fire, the end justifies the means. No Mischief you cannot preach compassion and do that. Doing so would make you no better than them, a hypocrite, worse, a monster just like Hugo.

Before I began my nightly vigil with poor courageous Ilyana, I headed to Yew to see if I could learn anything. Something was bugging me about the church and the reliance on using Yewish guardsmen in Cove. I’m aware there is an alliance between Cove and Yew but this is a little more sinister. My suspicions are the church is not only using the Yew militia as bullyboys but to take over in Cove and overthrow the Covian militia. There where few Yewish guards around when I got there. I hid in a tree and spotted Aries but she did not hang around. The few others that remained on guard, whom I did not know, were fairly talkative but it was all useless mundane chatter. One of them had a pet wolf and after a time began sniffing around. Shit! How I hate those beasts. As it got closer to the tree I was hiding in, it was time for me to go. The bushes below the tree served as sufficient cover for me to leave undiscovered before that blasted wolf got too close and make a fuss. Right now Ily was more important anyway.

Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 02:48:19 pm »

More brutality and hypocrisy. Betrayal.

Damn that stupid bitch Sanderson, what is she playing at? There I was doing my best to comfort Ilyana and being profoundly respectful to that monster Hugo (through gritted teeth of course) when out of the blue she mentioned something that made the bastard suspicious of me. Why in the Nine Hells did she do that? I scampered smartly before anyone could react and hid in the woods for a time. Whilst there I had time to reflect on what had just happened and to think back on our conversation the previous night, what caused her to betray me? The consensus I receive from Kelly and others (aye and even one or two Sisters) is “don’t rock the boat” “you’ll only make things worse for Ilyana”. I am now coming to the conclusion this is total bullshit! They do not want to do anything not because of consequences to Ilyana, but because of consequences to themselves. In a nutshell they are happy to see someone else suffer as long as it is not they. It is outright cowardice. They are willing to go to war to protect their territory yet afraid to revolt against the tyranny on their doorstep. It just does not make sense. They are slaves, no other description for it, slaves that are willing for their children and their children’s children to become slaves. They will fight to preserve their oppression but will do nothing to remove the shackles of brutality and humiliation. They are masochists who need a sadistic tormentor.

I was angry at Sanderson’s betrayal and started to make preparations for revenge but then I paused. The dumb bitch would be expecting it and be extremely wary, let her sweat a bit. Calming further I decided to leave her be, for in the end she’s just a brainwashed zombie who does not realise what she is doing. Still let her sweat anyway and her name join the list that my contacts hold of people who will never wake up again if anything happens to me.

Earlier I had met up with Leanne in Umbra as we had arranged. I had sympathy for her demeanour that showed she was very apprehensive of being here. I assured her that she was safe with me; the necros would ignore her in my presence. Not sure how she took that but she has to learn to trust me. I outlined my plan. I was either going to release Ilyana myself or wait until Hugo released her then take her away to a safe place where the monster could never touch her again. She objected vehemently to this pointing out that getting her released was just what the church expected. On this I did agree because the lax security around Ilyana was an obvious trap. I then insisted that I was taking her away as soon as she was officially released. I told her that no one would know where to find her. I told Leanne not even she would know. She protested that by doing so I was putting her and others at risk. I said that is why you will not know where I have taken her and if questioned she and the rest were to tell the truth, give my name to Hugo as the perpetrator. This caused more protests because then my life would be endangered. I told her that was irrelevant, if that was the case, so be it. She still refused to agree.

What Leanne and the rest of the band do not seem to realise is that Hugo is playing a game. It is textbook drow torture. Torture, let them recover and make them think it is over, then begin again. The same cycle over and over again until the victim becomes a mindless empty shell. Death is a blessing. Ilyana cannot take much more, I told Leanne, I can see the signs. Still she would not agree so I offered a compromise. Once Ilyana was released I would do nothing this time. But if Hugo hauled her in again nothing was going to stop me releasing her and taking her away. She gave me her word and we left.

Before that stupid incident with Kelly, I met up with a very old friend, Axiana. Was good to see her and eased my dark mood over Ilyana’s plight. We talked for a bit then departed. We will have a very long catch up chat before long. After the Kelly incident I caught up with Carolin and told her what had happened. She became very concerned and deeply worried about what will become of me. I tried my best to reassure her and it was then I realised just how much she cared for me. I left to track down Hoagie, I need to talk to him about Kelly but he’d obviously retired for the night. It can wait.

Finally I got round to my night vigil with Ilyana. She was in a hell of a state. The latest beating had left her barely responsive. It sickened me and I truly wept for the first time since I was a child. In one of her brief lucid moments I whispered a code word in her ear. This was so she would recognise me if I appeared to her in disguise. She at least would know who I really was. I whispered away the hours telling her my plans for the future and how nothing would please me more if she became part of them. I do not know how much of this she took in, if anything. No matter it gave me solace, it gave me hope. Ilyana will not be destroyed on my watch.

Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 02:36:32 pm »

Release at last. Preparation.

Finally that monster released Ilyana but with stringent conditions. It is within those conditions that the Sisters and I find us hampered. One move against the church and Ilyana suffers whether she was involved or not. Another classic drow manoeuvre; is this bastard in league with them? They are watching me, watching Ilyana’s abode but I am too smart for them. I visit her regularly entering unseen through her bedroom window that she conveniently leaves slightly open for me. She’s improving a little each day but I think she is rushing things and needs to take it a bit easier. She is too strong headed for her own good. But the hold the church has over her is hampering our efforts, this is why I must get her away, this is what the others in the group do not seem to comprehend. I’ll bide my time a little more, then appeal directly to Ily. In the end the decision is hers.

Over the days things have been generally quiet, apart from sporadic attacks by the Undead. They are getting bolder each time and even managed to ruin the grand opening of Carolin’s Inn. She took the death of one of her friends quite badly, but when you sign up for the army, you effectively sign up to die. One thing I noticed within the ranks is a growing resentment of the church. If only they would do something about it. But then what is said in a drunken haze is rarely actioned on.

This apart, I have used the period to concentrate on preparations for the inevitable; plan for the worst, hope for the best. I sneaked into the barracks one night and down to the jail to have a look around. I was looking for possible weaknesses to exploit in any escape attempt. The walls around the cells are solid and thick, no obvious weakness, the whole building is strong and well built. The only way through would be by explosives – not an option. There is no way I could hide enough explosives on my person to blow a hole in the outside wall. Even the notoriously lax searching by the guards would not miss that. As I made to leave, slightly dispirited, I spotted something. Perfect. One up to me!

These last few days has also given me a chance to try and build up a friendship with a Watchwoman who I shall call Sheri. The girl is originally from Templewood and it is clear she knows a lot about the true Avatarian church and is fully aware how the Cove/Yew branch has corrupted the word of the Avatar. Another advantage is that unlike most of the military personnel she is bright and intelligent. This I can use to my advantage when I start searching for tomes and documents that prove the falsehood of that zealot Hugo.

Talking of Hugo, some interesting facts surrounding his personal life have emerged that at the very least will prove extremely embarrassing to him once it becomes public. And make it public I soon will. Handled correctly this will bring him down and finish him for good.

Mischief
Criminal
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 01:05:49 pm »

Living a dream in a nightmare scenario. The truth of the Avatar.

Since my last entry, all has been a haze until now. There is not much I can remember, not much I want to remember anyway. Betrayal, capture, torture, what’s to remember? I knew it was coming so I had prepared the best I could. In terms of torture Hugo and his cohorts were pretty amateurish. Didn’t search properly, didn’t check what I was wearing under my outer clothes. It still hurt though, accept for the melted wax dripping from a weak candle flame. Maybe he thought it was boiling, maybe his sensitivity is such that it burns him, who knows. I’d had enough and crunched down on the tiny vial I had concealed in my mouth and sent myself into a coma.

How long after, I do not know but I was revived. Marcus the medic did it. He must have found the antidote vial in my coat lining. Least he knew how to search properly. Eventually I was led to some sort of church ceremony. All I could recall was a lot of mumbo jumbo then being pushed through a blue moongate and land on my face on the steep sloping side of a caldera. At the bottom was a large lake of seething, bubbling lava and I was sliding towards it. A small rock jutted out from the shale and I managed to snag the chain of my wrist shackles around it to stop my slide to the bottom. Secure, I rested until the heat rising from the lava pit became unbearable and had to commence my assent. It was difficult to gain purchase on the loose shale and it took forever. Two feet up, one foot back, occasionally finding rocks to snag my shackles on and rest, it took forever to reach the top. When I did, I found the outer slope just as steep. This time I lay on my back and using my feet as brakes I got to the bottom, faster than I wanted, and came to rest against a tree trunk that I slammed into harder than I wished. I passed out again.

When I woke up again I saw the kindly face of an old man staring down at me. He helped me up and put me over his shoulder and started to carry me away from the volcano. It was then I noticed, hanging from his neck, a large silver ankh. Shit! I thought. Out of the fire and into…what next? Where am I, I asked? The Isle of the Avatar he replied.

The old man was strong and he carried me to what looked like a priory. He called for assistance and, what I assumed were three middle-aged female clerics, took me away. I was washed and bathed, my injuries attended to and then fed. When I could eat or drink no more I was taken to a sparsely furnished room where I was guided to lie in a narrow but very comfortable cot. I slept and slept.

After who knows how long I finally awoke fully feeling strong and refreshed. Sitting by my cot was the old man. He asked me who did this and pointing to his ankh I replied, your church did. On hearing this he frowned deeply and told me that is not the way of the Avatar. To the best of my knowledge I explained what had gone on before and what treatment I had received and that this had not been the first time. He then asked me about the brand on the back of my right hand, so I told him. The kindly faced old man took my hand and looked into my eyes and began to speak. This is what he told me.

“The Northern Chapter has long been the bane of the Avatarian Church. It is a rebel branch that Avatarian Church Council based in Britain has long continually objected to and that their clergy had all been expelled. They have been touched by the Shadow Lords, Astaroth, Faulineri and Nofentor; Hatred, Falsehood and Cowardice. It is ironic that Cove is the City of Love and Yew, the City of Justice; stand for all that is a corruption of the word of the Avatar, a travesty of the virtues. Without compassion there can be no love, only hatred and without compassion there can be no justice, only injustice. Justice is fair and right, injustice is not.

The Avatarian Church does not impose its will on the people of Britannia; it does not force people to obey. Nor does it wield a sword of fear to keep people in line. The Avatar embraced all peoples as equals and acknowledged that it is a persons’ free will whether to believe or not. Furthermore the Avatar did not recognise heresy, only healthy theological debate. Without compassion, thou art nothing but an empty hateful soul.”

With those words he left me to rest once more and after a few days I felt ready to move on. He asked me where I would head next and when I told him Serpent’s Hold, he smiled and said I was a true Daughter of the Avatar. “ A wise place to begin anew your journey.” He said. “For thou art one of immense Courage. From thence go to the Lycaeum and find the Truth then go back to Cove and spread Love.” He then made arrangements for me to leave, blessed me and sent me on my way.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length