Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:47:28 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Element boards
| |-+  The Church (Moderator: Altair De Nostra)
| | |-+  Mind and Body - Breaking in the Squires
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mind and Body - Breaking in the Squires  (Read 1510 times)
Danaeyl
Initiate
Cove Command
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:31:20 am »

Looking between Joachim and Mordred as the Preceptor departed, he saw that they had grown much in their preceding  training sessions. Both had much to learn (as did he) but both displayed particular strength. Joachim had tested him surprisingly hard for a new recruit in his martial prowess, yet he fought like an impassive warrior, not driven by Avatar's light in combat in any way that Danaeyl could see. Mordred on the other hand at times appeared as if he had not been trained at all, yet his innate ability to draw on the Light to shield himself and imbue his erratic swings showed promise. Both had trained together well and showed strong ties of Brotherhood. Perhaps it was time for a real test of their bonds. It was time to at last seek and bring justice to the owner of the necromantic scrolls that Carolin had found so long ago near the graveyard. His research had indicated they belonged to no mere necromancer but a lich, though he had not been able to draw it out so far. Augustine, who stood watching over ever passively, considered the young Squires ready to undertake this taste of what was to come, and that was good enough for him.

On arriving at the graveyard the Holy squadron sliced through zombies and undead like butter, searching for any clue to the fiendish creatures whereabouts. It was nowhere to be seen, but their resources were not spent. Danaeyl turned to the Cleric with a glint in his eye; the lich had hidden long enough and she would trace the foul magic to its source.

No sooner had she began her insepction, and as she recoiled from the foul stench of necromantic energies, the Undead began to emerge anew, no doubt sensing her Holy power and attempting to thwart her goal. The Squire's barred the door two abreast and stemmed the near relentless flow of decomposing bodies. Inside the tomb, Danaeyl could only watch on in concern as Augustine made her holy ritual to combat the presence here and force it forth.

Forced from its horrible den in whatever realm it prefers to operate by the rending light of the Cleric, the monster was exposed. The four of them descended on it without mercy, and though it tried to debilitate and defeat them with all manner of evil spells, it could not stand in open day against the Avatari and eventually crumpled underneath their blades and spells, nothing but a rag of bones...for now.

Joachim wisely bringing a flame to the hideous corpse, Danaeyl put out his hand to stop him before it reached its robes. They were not lone soldiers of Avatar anymore, and had the full breadth of His power at their hands. Augustine rapidly blessed the flames and they shot out burning deeper and fuller; on contact with the sanctified flame the foul creature shrieked and writhed in pathetic agony momentarily, and then was still, utterly consumed. Satisfied, the Avatari made their way back to the chapel, for they had done His will this day.

Their night was not yet over, however. The Squires had done well at the Graveyard, but strength of the body is only one necessary element of a life in His service. Their spirit and mind needed much nourishment. The subject of Humility was chosen by the ever observant Augustine, who unbeknownst to the trio of warriors had special reason for selecting this. Both Squires answered well and true to their questions, and the Initiate sought clarification on the nature of intrinsic value. He had assumed a life without righteous accomplishment or consequence was a life without meaning, but the Cleric had said otherwise. He would reflect on this over time.

Truly, a day spent in the service of the Higher Being, as had many been recently. Looking at the young knights as he ascended the Chapel, he could not help, even at the end of this lesson on humility, feel pride in his heart at their progress. And for this pride the Initiate felt no shame.

Danaeyl
Initiate
Cove Command
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:46:17 am »

A diary entry

This eve' only the Squires did arrive for training. This was a good opportunity to assess their progression. It is clear that they hath come far and learned much. They shalt no doubt soon be fierce defenders of Avatarianism. Avatar hath blessed us with those of able body, mind and will. I hope that the Preceptor formally acknowledges this soon, for they doth chafe at their institutional limitation as Squires.

I took them to simulate the dangers of fighting underground, and to grow accustomed to operating in the dark when our enemies prefer it so.

I took them through basic survival and offensive tactics. They managed well.

Joachim had the edge by a little, but Mordred was not far behind. With a bit of practice and exposure to combat, he will become a deadly warrior: for he is strong, but lacks experience. Joachim on the other hand was tactically supreme, but with a weaker mace arm. I suppose this shows the power of experience. Balancing Mordred's holy anger in combat was a useful outcome.

I set them both on myself. At first, it was easy to splinter them, but they quickly learned to operate as a duo. This will need further work. Once they learn to coordinate more fluidly, as they shall, I will not be able to stand against both of them. This is well.

We returned to discuss any stumbling blocks in their studies. I helped to illuminate the Order's theological position on the false virtue.

Though the beautiful stained glass windows and grandness of our new home did enhance our studies, I was more strongly reminded that the future of the Order doth not dwell in bricks and mortar, nor any material gain, but in the strength of a continuing youth. Though I was once at the start of this chain, I now find myself in the middle. With such promise for the Order anew, I fear no evil that may befall us.

Ostendit tela partier. Aumen.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length