Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 06:43:43 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  Watchman's Trial: Talpa Europaea
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Watchman's Trial: Talpa Europaea  (Read 3196 times)
Gregor Eason
« on: December 13, 2005, 12:40:23 am »

Eason snored at his desk. A heavy night it had been at the Vesper Winter Ball.

He woke up hours later, discovering he had nay changed nor adopted a sensible sleeping position in a comfortable bed, rather rousing uncomfortably crooked face first in a heap of administrative papers.
Tired and moody, he peered at the documents.
"Talpa Europaea, eh? What sort of name is that?! Bah.. Must be doing something right. She seems to be negotiating the requirements for promotion rather well." Eason yawned. "I'll set her up something decent then." Eason deftly scribbled a task in a manner of minutes, and then pressed down firmly with the Militia seal. Trial approved.

Watchman's Trial: Talpa Europaea
Addressed to Watchman Talpa Europaea

Greetings Watchman Europaea,
Ye've been raising a few eyebrows lately in the Militia, with thy dedication and commitment to excellence in one of Britannia's finest fighting forces!
The coveted Covian Cap is nay far from ye reach, and a powerful thrust of hard work shall see ye well accomplished in the rank of Junior Guardsman.
Commander Eason

Tasks
* Organise and conduct a Militia Training Session.
* Lead a Patrol to the Eastern Bridge on the outskirts of Yew, and construct a Blockade there.
* Organise a Recruitment Operation in Britain.

Conditions
* All tasks must include at least FOUR other guardsmen.
* The Militia Training Session must last at least thirty minutes, and cover a range of relevant topics.
* The Blockade at the Eastern Bridge must be held for at least twenty minutes.
* The Blockade must be "dynamicly" constructed, for maximum efficiency and flare! Use ye imagination.
* The Recruitment Operation must last at least thirty minutes, and include both leaflets and a fortified position.

Good luck!

Commander Eason,
Cove Militia & Baronship Council
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 10:39:27 am by Gregor Eason » Logged
Talpa Europaea
Guest Of Cove

Assassin in Militia clothing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 09:33:13 am »

Watchman's Trial: Lead a Patrol to the Eastern Bridge on the outskirts of Yew, and construct a Blockade there.

Having relied on my own devices during my days working alone for the Tel'marian Mercenary Company, today was to be the first day I would be in charge of a unit of fellow guardsman and be responsible for issuing orders and ensuring a mission went smoothly.

We began by forming outside the barracks and deciding who would receive the unenvious task of carrying the majority of the crates that would be needed during the blockade.  It was a tough decision, but Recruit Constantius made my life easier by volunteering for the task with his wagging, insubordinate tongue.  With the recruit's pack heavily laden with crates, and other guards offering to pick up the remaining few, we set off on a forced march along the road leading West out of Cove and towards the Eastern Bridge of Yew.

It was a substantial distance to the Bridge, and the sight we were greeted with did nothing to lift the spirits of those who had completed the journey.

Tethered to the side of the bridge by a thick rope around his neck, feet dipping into the cold running waters of the Yewish river, was a young man wearing the uniform of a Covian recruit.  This was obviously a warning from our Yewish counterparts, but I must say it did not have the desired effect of scaring us and making us turn-tail.  If anything it strengthened our resolve and reminded us of the necessity of one day toppling this oppressive regime.

Some amongst the group decided we should give the nameless recruit a decent burial, so as they set about cutting down the body and dragging him from the river I ordered the rest to begin setting up the blockade.

There were two main areas that needed to be barricaded.  Firstly there was the bridge; a series of four walls were set up along the length of the bridge to create a kind of slalom to prevent anyone on horseback from charging through us should they choose.  Secondly was the area South of the bridge; a laborious route through the woods and around the head of the river meant that people could cross without needing the bridge, so a large wall was set up between the river and the mountain.

It was not a pretty sight, but it would do the job.  The guards assumed sentry positions along the length of the blockade and we waited for signs of anyone approaching along the road from either the West or East.  For a full twenty minutes the roads were clear, free from anyone that we could apprehend for questioning.

I decided to sneak off into the shadows to the West and ascertain if there was a reason for the road being so quiet.  As I crept through the woods I found a Yewish marksman lying on the ground at the foot of a troll and a second Yewman bursting through the treeline to rescue his comrade.  This second guard succeeded where his friend could not, and slew the troll before aiding his unconscious friend.  The pair composed themselves before marching towards the direction of the bridge with me in pursuit.

Upon spotting our group, who were indulging in a spot of training during this quiet period, the marksman fired a warning arrow before he and his friend began fleeing back to Yew.  I jumped from the shadows in pursuit of the two Yewmen along with several other Covians from the Eastern Bridge.  We managed to separate the pair and eventually had the marksman running blindly through the woods in the opposite direction to Yew.

Unfortunately the marksman got the better of me whilst I tended to the wounds of a recruit.  He fired a bolt from the cover of a bush that hit me square in my chest plate, taking the wind from my lungs and the feet from beneath me.  I fell unconscious, only to wake again in the company of my comrades back at the bridge with what felt like a broken sternum.

I am not certain what happened in the interim between losing and regaining consciousness, but as I rested with my back against a tree I saw the Yewish marksman being led back to our blockade in chains by Grenadier Sergeant Arkay.  With a Yewman as a captive I am sure we were able to learn some information about our enemies, and so fulfilling the objective of the blockade.

*Signed* Talpa Europaea

Guards in attendance:
Talpa Europaea (Leading)
Gregor Eason
Erik Arkay
Drachir
Kas Valentine
Thomas Sendrich
Constantius
Leloo
Kal Shadowhand

[OOC] Fairly sure I have forgotten a couple of names as people kept on appearing without joining party because it was already full.  If you were there but have not been given a mention please give me a shout on 44032056.  Thanks to all those that attended Smiley [/OOC]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 09:54:42 am by Talpa Europaea » Logged

Drachir
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Cutlass-wielding pirate-scout!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 09:51:36 am »

Well, I'm not sure if I should take this as a compliment, or that you mistaked me for a tree. I wasn't there Watchman!

Talpa Europaea
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 09:57:36 am »

*Scribbles his name off* Sorry sir, must have been seeing things after having the wind knocked from me.

[OOC]  Whoops, just grabbed all the names that were in screenie of my party manifest. [/OOC]

Gregor Eason
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 11:10:34 pm »

Aye, poor Recruit...

But an excellent Report, Watchman Europaea; and an operation deftly executed.

Commander Eason,
Talpa Europaea
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 10:04:17 am »

Watchman's Trial:  Organise and conduct a Militia Training Session.

The letter from Commander Eason detailing my Watchman's Trial suggested I should cover a wide range of subjects during the course of this training session.  With so many fresh faced recruits standing with their shoulders slumped amidst the line up of more senior Guardsmen, I decided to begin with some basic orders: arm up, ready arms, at ease, sheath arms, about face et cetera.

The recruits looked simple, but the orders were even simpler and each one was carried out posthaste.  To complete the basic orders, I drilled the line up on the proper way to salute for parade purposes.  Calling "Salute to the for..." a couple of the newer recruits were caught out by that pre-emptive command, and saluted before the second call for salute was given.  On the second try, however, all completed the order satisfactorily.

Next up was some formation training.  I explained what was expected of a tracker's line and what should happen when the commanding officers gives the order to "Form!", and drilled the group a few times on each formation.  The group completed each formation perfectly each time the order was given.

One final order needed to be practiced before moving on to some combat training; charging.  I set up some dummies along the Northern edge of the arena to represent Yewmen (more intelligent versions thereof) and instructed the group to form a double line along the Southern edge.  When they were in place, the order was given to ready arms and then... to charge!!  The group charged in unison and gave those Yewish raggamuffins what for, hacking and slashing, stabbing and smashing the dummies into splinters.

As the arena was cleared of the debris, I called the troops into line and selected Juniors Hoagie and Ridir to step forward to pick teams for some battle training.  I am not at all certain what was influencing Ridir's team selection, but it was evident that Junior Hoagie was picking the best more experienced fighters from the line-up.  I decided Ridir could have the advantage of numbers and assigned his team the remaining two recruits.

The two teams formed on opposing sides of the arena, and I explained that the focus of the battle training was about tending to the wounds of your comrades during formation fighting instead of your own and relying on them to do the same.

The two teams discussed tactics amongst themselves, then notified me that they were ready to begin.  I ordered them to start, and the battle ensued.  As expected, the battle went strongly in favour of Junior Hoagie's team who suffered only one loss during the fight.  Those still standing helped their comrades to their feet and returned to their position for a second bout.

I suggested that both teams might adapt and refine their tactics based on how the opposition fought in the previous battle, and ordered them once more to fight.  Again Junior Hoagie's team were victorious, but improvements could be seen in both teams' performance: Junior Hoagie's team did not suffer any losses this time round, whilst Junior Ridir's team were able to survive a lot longer with much improved cross-healing.

As important as it is to fight in formation and rely on others to tend to your wounds, there are also times when one must learn to be reliant only on oneself; either a formation is broken or all of your comrades are knocked unconscious leaving you to fend for yourself.  With that in mind I concluded the training session with a last man standing bout.

The troops were told to assume a position around the arena, whilst I assumed a position well outside of it.  Once everyone was in place I gave the order to begin and a drawn out fight broke out.  Naturally, the recruits were the first to fall, leaving the arena one by one clutching bruised and cracked ribs or nursing a sore head, and in the end it was down to Junior Feather and Corporal Lanai.

Junior Feather put up a good fight, ducking and weaving around the Corporal in and out of the shadows, but ultimately Corporal Lanai got the better of her and knocked her flat on her back with an expertly placed blow.

*Signed*  Talpa Europaea

Guards in attendance:
Talpa Europaea, Watchman (Leading)
Joey Lanai, Corporal
Gord Blackwell, Junior Guard
Rupert Ridir, Junior Guard
Hoagie, Junior Guard
Jenifer Feather, Junior Guard
Thomas Sendrich, Watchman
Kas Valentine, Watchman
Constantius, Watchman
James, Recruit
Leloo, Recruit
Malith, Recruit
Edmund Rufus, Recruit

« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 10:08:48 am by Talpa Europaea » Logged

Gregor Eason
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 10:38:52 am »

An excellent Training Session, Watchman Europaea! And as usual, a perfect of example of how to write a Report.
Good show, good show!

(OOC: Alas! Ye pictures are dying! Use imageshack! Unlimited bandwidth/space, http://www.imageshack.us)

Commander Eason,
Anari/Gareck Hallows
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 08:12:41 pm »

Anari nods, impressed as he passes the boards...

Vereh impressive repor' Watchman!

Signed:

Anari, Junior Guardsman
Covian Millitia...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length