Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:40:58 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Structure of the divisions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Structure of the divisions  (Read 2221 times)
Ben Radau
Short but great!
Covian Regular

Stubborn dwarf

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2005, 09:21:23 am »

Greetings everyone!

Looks like our Baronship is really prospering. After scaning the member lists of suggest the following:

Form structures below the specialized division. For example the grenadiers: right now a bunch of hard hitting soldiers led by the seargent. What about forming platoons led by corporals? So we get a kind of company-structure for the divisions.
1. Company commander (captain), 2nd in command (lieutenant).
2. Company seargent,
3. 1-?? platoons, each led by a corporal, 2nd in command (lance corporal), consisting of 1-5(?) soldiers, living, training and fighting together.
Would give a stricter form to our ranks, more ways to get up the army-promotion-ladder, and especially in larger battles more coordination, for our "beloved" commander and its company commanders have the ability to move blocks (platoons) of warriors with few commands. Especially when the platoons trained together and are able to concentrate their powers on one target after the other.
Btw: we have the urgent need to train fighting in movement... have we ever tried to use the ancient romans turtle-system :c) ?

Each post can be earned or lost according to behaviour in battles. Therefor I hope some more activity can be forced :c)

What do you think? We did a similar transformation in another world called Tibia, and it pushed the life further, and still prooves it worth...

*signed*
Dwarf - Scout - Junior
Pigeon cage: 16668006
Gregor Eason
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:45:07 am »

Thanks for your thoughts, Ben.
We're actually giving the Militia battle structure and training syllabus a lot of thought at the moment. So watch out! *Grin*

In regards to your idea on "Platoons", we've been secretly experimenting with this in the form of "Troops" - those involved will know. Basically Troops are non-Squad guardsmen of Regular and below. The Corporal, if you will, is a Regular/Junior, and he/she has a 2ic also. These Troops will consist of about five guardsmen.

Trouble is. Not everyone is active, and the even bigger problem is.. not everyone is active "at the same time". So you may never get more than 50% of a Troop on at any one time. So in terms of Battle Structure, it doesn't help "that" much (unless its a perfect day and EVERYONE is logged on!)

However, in terms of administration and building a bit of a buddy buddy system (and ye being Forces ye'll know about that *grin*), its excellent. If you're in a Troop from the start, you'll make friends more quickly/easily, and will probably be more likely to remain in the Guild (because ye're nay a loner!).

But I think the battle dream of having pre-defined Platoons/Troops at one's command is perhaps alittle unlikely. Depends how committed y'all become *Grin*

As for the Roman Turtle Formation, its always been a dream of being able to move in formation. Sadly, the UO mechanics don't do much for formations - they're more of an RP rouse, as a formation won't keep a charging force out (unless we were in Fel).
I find it better to just charge the position and form up immediately on spot, particularly if you're up against mages and have to get in their hard and fast. That's where the FORM! order becomes incredibly handy.

Its great to be discussing tactics, however! As we need a few developments to be made.

Eason
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 09:59:45 am by Gregor Eason » Logged
Ben Radau
Short but great!
Covian Regular

Stubborn dwarf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:33:57 am »

*nods*
Understood. But nevertheless I still lack some information of the undergoing developement. Right now we have some OC running around, but whom will they command?
And for my platoon or squad suggestions: I just wanted to invent some nice add-ons to the ranking system, that´s why I suggested the possible loss of a commanding position. The corporal and its 2nd of course must be above a watchman, but for the time he is choosen to be worth commanding a squad in my opinion he should be allowed to wear a badge to show his responsibilities. If he looses the trust in his leading abilities, then he has to remove the badge and returns among the "ordinary" regulars.
The problem of availability of all squad-members is known, but I think especially for prepared events each squad will have the pride to bring as many members as possible, and therefor an addition motivation appears. As I already said, in Tibia at the Mercs it worked fine ;c).
And the movement of formation I have 2 thoughts: for all range-fighters as mages or archers our own range-fighters are responsible first! As in real life, artillery´s first target is the opposing artillery!! Also our scouts are the best way to make them run! We should better coordinate our fighting. And movement: we should try to move in smaller steps. The form command is often missed in a battle, especially when there is much movement. What about only moving a box let´s say 3 steps, then a short regrouping with time to heal, and then step on? That will work when you have no need to get to the opposing range-weapons fast for they are busy defending semselves... as I said, all a question of coordination!
*grins and puts away the HDv 100/100 "Truppenführung" and the U-Mappe "Taktik", 14. Änderung*

*signed*
Dwarf - Scout - Junior
Pigeon cage: 16668006
Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 12:10:52 pm »

The Office Candidates are aids to the Sergeants...Can't have sergeants around all the time...

I like your idea and we're definately looking into opening up one or maybe two more squads but I'd hate to create too many squads...That diminishes the effect of them. We'll be lucky if we can fill 3 squads with men to spare for the general populace

Gregor Eason
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 12:24:21 pm »

As Erik said, Officer Candidates/Cadets are aids to Sergeants.. but are also folk being groomed for Command positions (i.e. Corporal).

Squad Leadership is broken down into Officer Commanding and Supporting. These positions ideally will be taken by a Sergeant and a Corporal respectfully. But in such times when Officers are few, others will fill these positions. For example, Regular Valentine was still Supporting for the Grenadiers even prior to becoming an Officer Cadet - so I suppose this slightly builds on your idea of having a lower rank being able to have his/her chance at leadership and responsibility (if I'm getting the point clearly).

Squad Availability
Quite so! I'd be most proud to hear of Squads encouraging their members to log on. This is something we should definitely strive for. Its a job of all to motivate eachother to point and click, and enter this world.

Coordination & Movement
Generally, we're going to be moving with the principle "weakest link first" - which invariably includes archers, mages, double handed weapons. And then we engage the heavy skirmishers.
As for movement, aye.. the FORM! order can be missed unless one is to "slightly" spam. Not so that FORM FORM FORM FORM litters the screen *Chuckles*, but so that every few seconds or so when the text disappears, another FORM... another FORM.
Erik did this the other day when we were assaulting Stonekeep and it worked marvellously, everyone kept tight. Even while moving the FORM command can be used, in such a way keeping people close together and advancing as a Squad.

The three steps, short regroup, step on process could be very complicated. It COULD be done, but in such complex madness as battles and fighting, simple is the best option.
A "light" spamming of FORM can keep people together, no bother. Watch how Erik uses the Command in the next battle! He moves slow, and keeps the order going. As long as people just keep their eyes flitting to and fro health bars and text, it should work fine!

The Focus
I think our main flaw that we need to build on is targetting. I think calling targets, as well as selecting them, is fairly difficult, and we need to set up some decent training seshes where such skills are developed!

And as for your Strategy Books. GAH! I foresee this thread going on for a very long time Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 12:27:08 pm by Gregor Eason » Logged
Samuel West
Regular
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Beasting will continue untill morale improves!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 11:05:11 am »

I know what i'm about to say is near impossible because of people either not enough people or not enough being active at the same time but....

I was thinking about having "Platoons" which consist of:- 1 grenadier, 1 light company, 1 neither, 2 recruits/watchman

I was also thinking that each platoon could have a different cap or sash colour...

Drachir
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Cutlass-wielding pirate-scout!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 12:25:50 pm »

The Sash Cap/Bandana and Kilt will probably never change. Although change in that type of thing is always interesting, its the Covian colours, so we're proud to wear them.

Regarding the platoons with the different fighting types. This would be somewhat useful in small sized attacks for example a few GRD attacking our barracks, but for full blown battles when we raid stonekeep etc. Its not too useful, its always good to keep the fighting types together. Two Scouts fighting together or two Grenadiers fighting together, is alot more powerful and helpful than a Scout and a Grenadier, which is why we made the squads in the first place.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length