Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:39:49 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Shillings, The currency of Cove!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shillings, The currency of Cove!  (Read 2677 times)
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2006, 12:30:03 am »

Hm-mm maybe I'm pointing out something obvious but I haven't seen it said specifically.

Shillings as a point system is terrific. Also for us commoners and citezens, We often work for one another as much as for burghers and nobles. that said we commoners and citezens can pay one anothers services in shillings rather than it having to be the baron or some official dealing out shillings. It also allows for peoples "fortunes" to fluctuate. 
Example:  Perhaps the Green Goblin needs wood for the fireplace.  I chop this wood and deliver it for 5 Shillings, The barmaid who asked me hands me 5 shillings from her personal purse, I then spend say that 5 and then 2 of my own to have a skilled tailor make me a new shirt, thus adding to their purse and taking from my own. It all becomes a matter of saving and WORKING, its not just hording (which is what the system sounds like it is....) And again maybe I'm stating the obvious and maybe that's the intent of shillings and i missed it some how... or maybe my ideas too grand?? Anyway I says I like the idea. TTFN Ta Ta For Now!!

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Kazuo Shinrai
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 07:54:33 am »

Although that would be a nice idea, it would royally fuck up the doubloon php system.
Instead, why not make it so that those requests can be put on an order board, then assign one or two administrators who can maintain and distribute doubloons earned by completed preset tasks.

Just give me a while and I'll have a working system for you guys in no time.
First the php system, then a slight revamp of the structure and forums and voila.

BoC's citizen aspect could be even bigger than the army, it just needs a working system.
qom_riyadh
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:26:05 pm »

Well, the biggest problem with using shillings to pay for things between covians is, that it will take lots of time to create such thing as economy. What will decide whether I pay 5 shillings for an apple or not 20? Also - what if i'll have 1000sh and want to buy armor from a vendor?

I think that most useful usage for shillings would be to use them only as a point system. Task should be paid in common gold pieces.

Also - how exactly will look shillings?

Maybe I don't understand that fully, but using shillings as a currency has also a problem - who will exactly exchange shillings into gold (and v.v.) when i'll need to buy something that is not available in Cove?
Kazuo Shinrai
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 01:35:37 pm »

As was once tried within KTD, we could inscribe little red books and use them as currency.
That way we'd have bank notes, each with their own value and serialnumber (so they cannot be forged).

However, this system is VERY time consuming. The setup requires quite a bit of work and because there are only set notes (1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100) there need to be many of those in circulation if we want to use them as change.

I'd say we stick to gold and only use Doubloons (and not shillings!) as currency when it comes to pre-posted tasks (e.g. a reward of 10 Doubloons offered to the person who spends an afternoon cleaning the local tavern). At least for now that is, until a working system is generated and proven to be effective.
qom_riyadh
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 02:22:58 pm »

Another problem is that these little books cannot be stacked...

Also I still don't see why do we need a covian currency...
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 10:42:40 pm »

need a currency so we can make everything hard as **** to do hehe. I cant e simple aboutmuch... cept maybe my ideals

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 01:10:10 am »

Another problem is that these little books cannot be stacked...

Also I still don't see why do we need a covian currency...

In my opinion it would help to make gameplay more realistic.  In a roleplay environment, the more realism, the better.
Kazuo Shinrai
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 08:22:57 am »

Still, I'd say it's too much hassle right now and discourage implementing something like that for now.
That doesn't mean the citizenship program cannot be upgraded later on though.

Realism is always good, but it needs to have it's limits or things are gonna be unworkable.
For instance, humans blink. Hence, if we are true roleplayers we should remote *blinks* every 15 to 30 seconds continually during our gameplay! Wink
qom_riyadh
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 02:46:12 pm »

For instance, humans blink. Hence, if we are true roleplayers we should remote *blinks* every 15 to 30 seconds continually during our gameplay! Wink

So if a someone attacks you with a sword you should cut yourself several times with a kitchen knife Cheesy
Kazuo Shinrai
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 04:07:05 pm »

I am talking about the fact that realism isn't always good.
That is the same reason perma-dead is not in a game like UO.

What you posted is how UO or roleplay would affect real life and even then it's a bad example.
qom_riyadh
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 07:13:58 pm »

I was kidding Kaz Smiley

Returnig to the topic - I mean that using currency in Cove will simply complicate too many things, because one day one will definitely come to the point, where Dubloons, Shilling (or whatever you will call them) will be simply useless, like 10000$ in the middle of a desert when you die from dehydration...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length