Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 10:47:00 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Promotions....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Promotions....  (Read 1892 times)
Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2006, 05:18:42 pm »

Let me just start off by saying that I think Hoagie is one of the hardest workers in all of BoC bar-none.  But after discussions with some of the members, I felt it was my duty to come out and be a voice for the lesser known characters of BoC.  I understand that Hoagie skipped a few ranks to become a Captain.   Now, generally I wouldn't have a problem with such a promotion...but.. why does Hoagie get to skip his ranks?

This is a privelege that many others in BoC have worked hard to achieve, some that we're even higher in rank than Hoagie.  THIS is the downfall of BoC, an unfair promotion makes me sick to my stomach, and im not saying Hoagie doesn't deserve to be a captain, it's just that he  has to work just as hard as all of us to get there.

And Hoags, you're a hard worker in Cove, and a friend so don't think im attacking you at all.  It's just.. sort of unrealistic and unfair to give someone a Captain promotion just because you prefer them to other members or, whatever you're preference may be.  Hoagie got to skip some ranks, this pissed off several of the roleplayers in the BoC community, including myself.

Plenty of times ive asked Covian Military Command to waive one or two of my Recruit Cadres, and understandably they've never allowed me to skip them.  Now in Hoagie's case he jumped several ranks... how?  Doesn't the Covian Military command feel that the recent promotion is...unfair?  I feel that as a member of BoC and a voice to dissenters EVERYWHERE that I should share my two cents, or in you're case.. Pence..  Tongue

For all the other concerned members, I wish you'd leave a message here to show you're dissention as well, but im not naming any names, I don't wish to implicate anyone.  And Hoagie, please don't think im attacking you once again, I just feel that the Covian Military Commands tactics in this case will end-up DESTROYING the Barony of Cove, people will get pissed, think Cove is unfair and leave to go find better RP. Simply Stated.

Anyway, my girlfriend is about to wring my neck to go get some breakfast... sooo, I have to get going.  As always have a nice day, and a Happy New Year.
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 05:54:29 pm »

Well, there could be several reasons. Word has it that some dug their tounge in to deep between certain butt cheeks.

It could all be for IC reasons you see. If not well, maybe he got some skills you or anyone else doesn't have. Not much you could do then to complain to your guild master instead of on the forum (I prefeer these things on the forums but thems up there on the command team decided that they don't want any negative words spreading on the forum so they want it on ICQ or any other IM).

I'd go with ICQ instead, unless they suddently had a change of hearts and decided it was alright.

edit: perhaps off topic but I think boc should re-make their promotion requierments. Shocked

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
qom_riyadh
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 05:56:43 pm »

Whooaa...

well, since I play a civilian, I haven't noticed such a "hop" between military ppl, but goosh, that's somewhat unfair...

I like Hoags quite much, he is a very "visible" member indeed, and his activity cannot be left unnoticed. (After couple of times when we ICQ'ed off-game I recognize him as a cool bud.) But on the other hand I'm rather shocked that Command decided to do something like that. Still, it isn't personal in any way, but leaves a very bad taste. Too bad that Command alowed such a skip, and that Hoags accepted that. Gosh, people - it's only a game! I don't feel being a better man because I've reached the rank of citizen, or because this or that high-ranked officer says "Hi" first when he sees me.
IMO being "someone" in UO isn't worth omitting steps and rules that we accepted to follow. I'm not playing UO because it's so brilliant - I play it, because in Cove I've met a bunch of cool, funny people - it's YOU ALL! (Well, 99.9%, but that's not the point) I would feel very uncomfortable with making my pals and friends think that somehow they are treated (or I am) different way.

Is it worth that?
Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 06:01:32 pm »

Im glad we're getting somewhere.
Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 07:02:10 pm »

Let me just start off by saying that I think Hoagie is one of the hardest workers in all of BoC bar-none.  But after discussions with some of the members, I felt it was my duty to come out and be a voice for the lesser known characters of BoC.  I understand that Hoagie skipped a few ranks to become a Captain.   Now, generally I wouldn't have a problem with such a promotion...but.. why does Hoagie get to skip his ranks?

I think you answered your own question. Hoagie skipped one rank because he worked harder than anyone else. He was kept as an Officer Cadet twice as long as any of us so it really made up for the time.

This is a privilege that many others in BoC have worked hard to achieve, some that we're even higher in rank than Hoagie.  THIS is the downfall of BoC, an unfair promotion makes me sick to my stomach, and I'm not saying Hoagie doesn't deserve to be a captain, it's just that he  has to work just as hard as all of us to get there.

Hate to break it too you, but if people are working hard to skip ranks then their going to be disappointed. This was a Command promotion not a normal one. And outside Command team there are no higher rankings than Hoagie and if someone in Command has an issue they know who they can take it too:)

And Hoags, you're a hard worker in Cove, and a friend so don't think I'm attacking you at all.  It's just.. sort of unrealistic and unfair to give someone a Captain promotion just because you prefer them to other members or, whatever you're preference may be.  Hoagie got to skip some ranks, this pissed off several of the roleplayers in the BoC community, including myself.

No your attacking the whole of the Command teams discusions. And I don't really see how its unrealistic I'm afraid. Ogres, Trolls and Orcs, their unrealistic. Hoagie was NOT and I will repeat this, was NOT given a promotion because he was preferred he was given the promotion because he really deserved it.

Plenty of times I've asked Covian Military Command to waive one or two of my Recruit Cadres, and understandably they've never allowed me to skip them.  Now in Hoagie's case he jumped several ranks... how?  Doesn't the Covian Military command feel that the recent promotion is...unfair?  I feel that as a member of BoC and a voice to dissenters EVERYWHERE that I should share my two cents, or in you're case.. Pence..  Tongue

We made the promotion so, no. The Military Command account is the whole of Command Conan its me, Hoagie, Octi, Raiden, Vince etc.. Also I feel pressed to remind you that he skipped one rank and not several. The One of which was hard for him to have as it is possible that the former Sergeant will be returning to the place.

For all the other concerned members, I wish you'd leave a message here to show you're dissention as well, but im not naming any names, I don't wish to implicate anyone.  And Hoagie, please don't think im attacking you once again, I just feel that the Covian Military Commands tactics in this case will end-up DESTROYING the Barony of Cove, people will get pissed, think Cove is unfair and leave to go find better RP. Simply Stated.

I don't see how the first skipped promotion makes Roleplay in Cove any worse. I'm Corporal and have been for a while and I'm not moving up nore am I sour about it. Go with it, Cove needed a Captain and now we have one and I fail to see what the problem is here.

To Qom

Gosh, people - it's only a game! I don't feel being a better man because I've reached the rank of citizen, or because this or that high-ranked officer says "Hi" first when he sees me.

Exactly, it is only a game so why are people so frustrated over this?Smiley

IMO being "someone" in UO isn't worth omitting steps and rules that we accepted to follow. I'm not playing UO because it's so brilliant - I play it, because in Cove I've met a bunch of cool, funny people - it's YOU ALL! (Well, 99.9%, but that's not the point) I would feel very uncomfortable with making my pals and friends think that somehow they are treated (or I am) different way.

Is it worth that?

Your not Hoagie though, remember this. Hoagie is my best pal OOC and IC and its not at all affected how we play or talk to each other. Why should it affect anyone else? He did NOT get promoted to annoy anyone, he got promoted because he worked bloody hard. And I think people should take this in.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:12:12 pm by Mela Arkay » Logged

qom_riyadh
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 07:25:19 pm »

Ohh come on, Mela... Saying "I don't like something and I feel that few people might treat it as unfair" doesn't mean that one is frustrated.

I know that I'm not Hoagie, I've written how would ->I<- feel.

Still that's not my business what rank is he - Hoags can even be Octi's hairdresser, I don't care.

The discussion isn't about Hoagie, isn't about ranks. It's about a precedence in promotions system. I haven't noticed any word saying that faster promotions are available to those, who work harder. Each military person has it's record, and rules say that you need to do i.e. 5 cadres to advance, not 2...
Octiovus
Grandmaster tyrant.
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 08:03:49 pm »

Command ranks are beyond the confines of normal promotion requirements because they are needed to keep the guild intact and running as smoothly as possible. While I understand it may seem unfair that people make rather large rank jumps, command ranks are shifting entities and people can lose and gain command ranks depending on their performance. Additionally, it is impossible for you to fully judge the performance of any command team member as you don't see a lot of work that is vital to the guild and is done behind the scenes, and this must also be taken into account when deciding promotions.

Vince Valentine BoC (01:26) :
Don't mock me! I get 10% discount at tescos!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length