Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:36:04 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Problem  (Read 4352 times)
Kurt Alimar/Markus
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:32:18 am »

Won't be able to log on, stupid computer keeps saying an instance of UO is already running again.  So, I'm screwed for a bit, and NO! nothing will help it unless I reformat the comp.  Believe me I've tried everything, and the only thing that will work is reformating my comp.  Reinstalling it won't work unless i reformat, and I don't think there's anything else to help it.  So I probably won't be on for a while.  F VIRUSES!!!
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:45:22 am »

You even tried restarting!? Shocked

Oh well, hope we'll see you soon mate. You sure it's viruses?

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:57:40 am »

Gah!

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:07:26 am »

Control+alt+del then processes then shut UO down (if you ain't tried it). Be back soon.

Kurt Alimar/Markus
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:00:07 pm »

No that don't work either...  I've restarted my computer completely and it still says that message when I try.  I'm going to try to reinstall it at least.
Faden
Life is a challenge
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

o[xxx]:::::;;;;;;>

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 10:07:04 pm »

Ok, heres one thing that normally helps UO. Within the UO folder is a folder called desktop. Rename it to desktop1.

Tell me if it works now.

If this does not fix the problem and you do not want to format your pc, make a new user in windows. If you dont know how tell me your Windows version and i'll help.

Locke DaOrt
Cuts Elves limbs off (Dell does too!)
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 06:20:25 am »

Won't be able to log on, stupid computer keeps saying an instance of UO is already running again.  So, I'm screwed for a bit, and NO! nothing will help it unless I reformat the comp.  Believe me I've tried everything, and the only thing that will work is reformating my comp.  Reinstalling it won't work unless i reformat, and I don't think there's anything else to help it.  So I probably won't be on for a while.  F VIRUSES!!!

Could always run a seperate instance of it through EasyUO *shrug*

Delcarakdur
One-handed and one-eyed Elf
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Mess with Delc and he will wack you with his stump

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 07:06:19 am »

Much better to find out about Viruses...

Use a small and neat program called "HijackThis!". It will list every running process on your PC wether it is hidden or not. If you then post the logfile you get up on a Computer saavy forum (Just search Google for "HijackThis Logfile Help") they'll help you with that part.

Apart from that...It would be interesting to know what anti-virus and anti-spyware programs you use. Smiley

Hope this helps! If not contact me on ICQ, and I might provide you with some tips.

Octie:
This thread has reached the pinnacle of its usefulness. We've established Kas is a hippy. Thread locked.
qom_riyadh
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 07:30:08 am »

Probably it'd be best (and fastest / least frustrating) to just send that crappy OS to hell and reinstall it.

Ooor...

Switch to Linux (and run UO with Wine).
If you use it, ofkoz.

On the other hand, if you're gonna install a fresh windoze after formatting, consider splitting disk into partitions - if you'll make a, say, 5+ GB partition for windows, another one for appz and gamez, and one another for docs and stuff, you will just have to eradicate windows (+Program Files) instead of formatting whole drive and losing time archiving all stuff.

Using above technique (plus eventually using a Symantec Ghost img of windows partition) I have a fresh, working windows in < 1hr, with all things in place.

G'd luck there Smiley

PS. one thing more: (tested @ my home) Visit some computer-junkyard nearby and consider buying sth like a Pentium 200MMX, about 128mb ram to it, and ~2GB disk - it's enough to install a mini-linux which will act as a router/firewall for you (www.ipcop.org) - it's all configured via a neat WWW interface.
I have such a thing running 24/7/365 down in my cellar (no monitor/kb/mouse) and since I've installed it, I don't know what viruses are (for everyday work I use Windows2000Pro without any antivirus protection). Consider it, it's worth a try.

If you have any questions about it, PM or ICQ (389-57-010) me.

Cheerz.

EDIT: Ofkoz you'll have viruses if you'll bring one on a floppy or CD - above fw/router config provides security against adware, spyware, trojans and such. Generally speaking, you say what things are allowed to enter/leave your box.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 10:41:49 am by Qom Riyadh » Logged
Moraine DiGoraz
Banned for excessive profanity.
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

Unlike cool Covians I am banned for being an idiot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 08:13:45 am »

First thing that sprung to mind with me as well.

Kurt Alimar/Markus
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 05:33:56 pm »

Yea none of this matters, because now that I've uninstalled UO.  It won't let me reinstall it.  Basically the only thing I can run is the internet browser.
Nicholi Ravnthorn
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 06:40:20 pm »

Try a system restore for before you had the problems.
qom_riyadh
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 08:24:34 pm »

Try a system restore for before you had the problems.

Based on my previous experiences, the "System Restore Utility" should be renamed to "Last Nail To The Coffin" - basically each time I used it, it was like pressing the "Yes, I want to reinstall Windows" button.

Or maybe I just hate M$...
Locke DaOrt
Cuts Elves limbs off (Dell does too!)
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 08:33:38 pm »

First thing that sprung to mind with me as well.

*HIGHFIVE*!

Kurt Alimar/Markus
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 08:58:09 pm »

Where do I find that?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length