Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:02:03 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  I feel that we are lacking a Mage Division ... brainstorming.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: I feel that we are lacking a Mage Division ... brainstorming.  (Read 25532 times)
Maldraedior
Covian Guardsman
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:49:25 pm »

Greetings fellow guardsmen.

After reading about our current Divisions and checking their forums - I do not really feel that any of the current Divisions suits my character RP-wise.
My character is no sailor or seaman - so the navy part does not really apply to him, nor is he of the sneaky kind with stealth and magery.

On our homepage, it seems like we had a Division called the Arcane Company. My first plans for my characters was to try to get into that Division, but it does not excist anymore.
I have spoken with some of the old timers in BoC, but I haven't gotten any answer why the Arcane Company went down ... their answer was just that it didn't work out Smiley

I've seen that lots of our current Recruits are spellcasters.. I am not sure if you feel the same way like I do, so I had to bring this up for discussion.

I would love to create a new Spellcasting Division - Warmage type of Division. Spellcasters combining Magery with Fighting skills. Of course Necromancy supplied with weapon skills would be accepted as well.
Tamers and Bards would not be accepted though.
I feel that a Warmage Division would suit BoC much better than the Arcane Company. Considering we are a Military guild.. Properly trained Magic users would be much more effective on the battlefield compared to a secret spellcasting sect imo Smiley

I've gotten the inspiration from the Warmage class in D&D 3rd Edition. It suits a spellcasting/fighting skill template in UO. Spellcasters wielding Armour while casting spells and being a decent meleer when their offensive powers wears out.
Warmages will focus heavily on teamwork, since supporting with spells is a lot harder than just applying those bandages once every 6-7 second or so. Being a proud and confident Division - discipline training, combat training and drilling should be arranged often.. since the visual apperance of the Division will be important.

Still require some work on the Story line for the guild - and quest line for its members..
but feel free to let everyone know about your thoughts and suggestions for a Division like this.

Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 11:16:37 pm »

Grin
Im all for this..

Arcane Guardsman
Arcane Seargant etc

Suits my character perfectly.
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:17:45 pm »

I don't feel we've got enough mages - but joining a division isn't necesarry=) Slave could be possible though!

-Khae/Lil'alure Cheesy

Maldraedior
Covian Guardsman
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:38:28 pm »

Being within a Division opens a lot of RP opportunities and usually means a more busy in-game event schedule for your character.

Me, Celuvian, Andrew, Synara and another recruit, cant remember his name, currently got Magery of the recruits. (( that I know about ))
I know some of the veterans got it as well - and they are not in a Division.

Also this is not just a Division for us - the idea is to make BoC seem more attractive as a guild to others, especially mage players Smiley
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:46:11 pm »

Grin
Im all for this..

Arcane Guardsman
Arcane Seargant etc

Suits my character perfectly.

That might actually work!
Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 07:23:19 am »

The naval division welcomes mages.  The current Lt (me) is a mage.
Moraine DiGoraz
Banned for excessive profanity.
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

Unlike cool Covians I am banned for being an idiot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 09:38:55 am »

In BoC tradition, a division is generally ran by a command member.
So my first suggestion would be to get a command member at your side to back your division.

As for mages in the naval division, sorry Garak but screw that! Wink

A warmage division consisting of warrior mages (instead of pure mages) sounds friggin' awesome to me and I'd give it my full support. Cove has not yet seen a division like this before and with enough dedicated players it could work. Keep in mind though, you need to reach a certain rank in order to be allowed to join a division. That said, a little hard work is all that is between you and joining such division and generally should not be a problem if you are willing to put in the efford.

In battles a warmage division would add quite some diversity to the army as well, not forget to mention the ability to gate (which is a great outcome during hunts and expeditions should members be late and need to be picked up or to get somewhere fast with an entire group).

First thing I suggest is setting up a few requirements to become a warmage.
Uniform (can be added later on) and skillsets (e.g. magery, tactics + at least 1 weapon skill). Perhaps even a few trials that need to be completed in order to call yourself a warmage? Additionally I feel it should be mandatory that all members of the warmage division wear pointy hats!

All in all, go for it mate, write up your ideas and send it to command. From what I've read so far you seem to have what it takes to make the division work. All it takes is some time and alot of dedication.

Stein Clan
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 09:49:32 am »

Sounds like a great idea Mald!
Maldraedior
Covian Guardsman
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 10:13:34 am »

Thank you for your comments Smiley

I have spoken with some of the Command members - Raiden told me to post it on the OOC board or speak with a Command member about this. Since Garak is leading the Naval division and Jack Sinist was offline yesterday - I thought about getting it up for brainstorming on the OOC board first.

I know I need to be Junior Guardsman to join a Division etc.. but I would like to get the Warmage Division up for discussion before that time.
I have no problems if I am not to lead the Division either. Just want to be a part of it Smiley could always OOC share my ideas and help the Leader.

Of course, the plans for the Division was to have trials and tasks for members wanting to join it.. just like all the other divisions.
I currently got some quest ideas, but will not share them at this.  Involves pure RP questlines and skill-check questlines. Still needs some more planning and checking before it goes live.

The pure character skill-wise requirement to join would be Magery/Necromancy + 1 fighting skill. (Sword, Fenc, Mace, Archery, Parrying or Wrestling) Tamers, bards, stealth mages etc. would not suit the division imo.

Hehe, creating the uniform is just the snack part of making a Division. I have no ideas at the moment how it would look, since the storyline and RP idea behind the division is more important atm.. but I will sure give pointy hats a try!

Quoted from Moraine Digoraz :  "All in all, go for it mate, write up your ideas and send it to command. From what I've read so far you seem to have what it takes to make the division work. All it takes is some time and alot of dedication."
-- Thank you for your kind words.
userjosh5368
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 10:33:56 am »

Good news for you! Theres a Command member' trying to makr an arcane univerity which is a fantastic idea' as really coves never had many wycthes around, so never been any need but one point arcnist reigment was made not to popular though so it died down, but when Command members get time you will see the future of the wycthes.  Smiley

Least we don;t have a Yeller Squadron *Eyes Moraine and cackles*
Maldraedior
Covian Guardsman
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 11:24:57 am »

Grand to hear.

We need a spellcasting Division now in BoC imo.
There are a lot of recruits that are spellcasters now - and having a spellcasting division up, would also be more attractive for new players that wish to join BoC to see that spellcasters got a division-future =P
Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 12:10:48 pm »

*is getting excited*

Yea we could like have those "magical wizard hats" from the mage shop in our uniform...yea they suck resist wise, but would look awesome.
Moraine DiGoraz
Banned for excessive profanity.
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

Unlike cool Covians I am banned for being an idiot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 06:58:19 pm »

Least we don;t have a Yeller Squadron *Eyes Moraine and cackles*

There were plans for that at some point, but command feared we'd pwn too much.
(which is justified tbh Wink)

Scarlet Grayner
Red-haired strumpet
Citizen of Cove
Covian Citizen

Fire baller of Cove!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 07:58:14 pm »

There are already two Squads which allow mages, Scouts & The navy. As much as everyone loves the idea of a pure arcanist squad four squads is already spreading the butter too thin and five would just be a mess!

Kurt Alimar/Markus
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 09:20:01 pm »

Mage RP is lame we're going to become just like Vesper if this happens.  A bunch of Guardsmen with magery.  The Navy and The Scouts need mages in their squads.  Where do you think all the mages will go if a mage squad is made?  4 Squads is enough, you can either be a Guardsman with Magery, a Marine with Magery, or a Scout with Magery.  Why do you need a squad to tell everyone what you are?  You'll be a unique part of your squad, and everyone already knows what you are by your armor.

I mean there's no squad made specifically for Chivalry, Mace fighting, Archery, Swordsmanship, Axemen, Fencing, or Parry.  It's been a proven fact in BoC that squads based off skills (Aside from the scouts) do not work.  All I'm saying is I don't want a guild like BoC become a breeding ground for mages.  We're Guardsmen, not wytches.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length