Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 07:55:24 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  The State of the Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The State of the Game  (Read 11244 times)
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 11:09:09 am »

I made a thread on the Stratics board about UO and Ventrilo a while ago but I can't seem to find it. I remember listening to some American roleplayer discussing the situation with a Covian on UO Radio. The American used Ventrilo all the time but our spokesman from Cove mentioned that it might be a bit of a distraction from roleplaying in-game.

Similar feelings were voiced on the Stratics thread but a few PvP guilds (non-roleplay) confessed to using it at champion spawns. S'a really good program to use in terms of streamlining your battle instructions and reacting quicker. Hell, it would be a laugh and if yer don't want to chat you can always turn it off (or not come on it in the first place). It wouldn't have to be a requirement like it was for my WoW guild. Cheesy

Octiovus
Grandmaster tyrant.
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 03:00:55 pm »

That UO radio interview was conducted by Veldrin. I do have a ventrilo server, and I have used it in the past for Covian purposes, but I find it to be a distraction really. I'm aware some players here use their own personal conversational tools, but for the guild as a whole, I don't think it would be a good idea. Just like excessive use of party chat isn't a good idea, it merely detracts from the roleplay atmosphere. Perhaps it might be useful for hunting or raiding guilds, but not in a roleplay environment.

Vince Valentine BoC (01:26) :
Don't mock me! I get 10% discount at tescos!
Moraine DiGoraz
Banned for excessive profanity.
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

Unlike cool Covians I am banned for being an idiot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 08:03:57 pm »

I could write down an essay spanning at least 475 pages about this subject but I'll spare you all by not doing so (because A - I am a nice person and B - I am lazy). What I will say is this : even though UO is still many times more diverse than your average "modern" MMORPG, it's lost most of it's thrill. Having to flee from PKs while crafting, always banking important gear, being able to have your weapon stolen in dungeons etc. Corpse runs were a real bihatch but if you got to your stuff in time it was golden! You actually felt like you had accomplished something. Nowadays with bags of sending and item insurance the game has lost some of it's former glory but then again it's a different player base these days. Everyone pisses and moans about the candlyland trammel rulesets, but from my own experience, I am quite glad it's there most of the times. However, I do feel the difficulty slider in UO has been set from Hard to Bloody Easy, which is a shame really. Fun as the game may be, there is no real challenge left in it.

Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 08:08:47 am »

Hmmm, I joined back in like 2000 i think. I had been playing some MMORPGs on MASQUE game site until EA bought them out... and destroyed the games there by closing the mall down.

But I got a FREE UO: Renaissance disk in the mail, and hopping that others from the community i had been in would follow suit, I joined up. I never took into account ultima really is a thousand worlds each with its own peoples etc, etc.  I haven't found a single soul from Games like Battle Tech: Solaris (Precursor to many of the on line MEch Assaults plus it had a Japanese culture and military system in place which was the RP element it had.) Aliens On line (before the Predator got thrown into the mix)

So I came by UO in an odd way i guess. As I entered the world. Trammel had no houses or very few of them, but moongates were opening all over the world from the moonstones... I kept finding myself in felucca, out, in out, in out, and hopefully i landed OUT. I didn't know how to survive yet lol. About a month later I came back fro ma weekend away and houses were everywhere. I think this "expansion" triggered the horrible add-ons that came after.

Well some content has been nice, ninth anniversary in mind. housing stuff too. And I do like the Necromancer and Paladin titles in the RP world, I also LOVE my necromancer, but hes pimped out non RP fashion... so of course I get my rocks off slaying hundreds of things while some warrior barley fends off a small herd. I love my powerful non RP characters as much as my RP.

Hmmm  Alright, wheres UO headed?  If the numbers keep trailing off, and the expansions keep getting more useless and further from the original content of the series (I'm just waiting for Aqueribusses. At which point I shoot my UO disk for target practice and wipe it from my hard drive .....)

Others are right EA doesn't care for quality, they, without much though completely destroyed a website, taking nearly 200K people offline, destroying a comunity of people who played in a world of maybe 5 diffrent games, Battle Tech : solaris, Aliens On line, Godzilla On line, Starship Troopers Battle Space, there was another but I don't remember it... all great games for their times.
I've played wow and was even with a great guild of people who are military/ ex-military mostly and alot of us know each other personally. But once we let in "outsiders" and those of us "personal friends" had less time to play... the guild went to hell, we have all abandoned that guild and started a new one. it is a 24 hour game, but I get my fun in small doses but once I'm the best.... what will I do then? maybe I'll help people.. maybe I'll cancel my subscription who knows. In UO I still haven't managed to get a completely finished template yet, and I've had a warrior for over 4 years now who hasn't finished reaching elder in swords....

Some say that PVP and PKing are all that's affected by the newer items armors and trinkets. We'll I'm also one who enjoys to go into Fel once in awhile just to watch/work. Most of my character, if pitted against someone in the "old" plate suites, would stand a good chance. It seems you just cant walk around in Fel anymore being a GM anything and know you have a certain immunity. People used to be scared to battle the Great Hero, GM Warrior, not its like  you have legendary title and are glorious and have super great stuff on... sadly someone else has one item just better than yours cause your wallet couldn't afford it... and wham he gets a major advantage over you.

I'm glad we have RP. I hope EA sells UO to someone who CARES!! And well, umm I think I've lost my traction.... i miss the "older" days nufff said.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 11:05:04 am by Marcus Kobra » Logged

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Shadwell
Administrator
Covian Legend

Retired Commander of the Covian Army.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 09:13:57 am »

Seriously..? Ventrilo and roleplay?! Get real!

I've been playing UO for quite a while now. I remember running around the old stonekeep chased by mobs of reds. Only to end up chasing them with a even bigger mob of crazed guardsmen. Classic.

Also you used to have REAL sieges back then. Being surrounded inside the keep for most of the evening was not an unusual thing. It really made you roleplay and I miss those days.

But for me everything went down the hill since trammel and even though CoY had some great moments I really started to enjoy RP again with Octiovus and his outrageous idea of a guild. And to be honest, I'm still having allot of fun when I login.

So yes even though Fel only with Cove would've been even better I'm not too bothered by the current state of the game. We make our own game here.

The Baron's Adjutant.
Hoagie ‎(6:24 PM):
Basically, the core purpose of BoC is to troll Grd
Arma Renox
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

"What did you say about my hat?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 11:02:13 am »

Maybe Cove should expand into Fel... Wink

Delcarakdur
One-handed and one-eyed Elf
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Mess with Delc and he will wack you with his stump

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 05:22:59 pm »

We make our own game here.

That's what's keep me playing this game!

Octie:
This thread has reached the pinnacle of its usefulness. We've established Kas is a hippy. Thread locked.
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 05:32:25 pm »

We make our own game here.

That's what's keep me playing this game!

Where have you been then . . .  Roll Eyes Grin

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 05:52:16 pm »

The game developers made some bad decisions however I'm not bothered about anything else in the game but BoC. As long as BoC stands as its glorious self then who cares?

Gottfried of Yew
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 09:43:23 pm »

I started to miss the Old UO feel of pure fel. Thats why i started playing on a free server, UO Gamers Hybrid. It's the closest I get to that old adventurous feel.

Gottfried Aberforth,
Templar of the †Covian Church†,
Loyal servant of the Baron.
userjosh5368
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 10:01:40 pm »

I started to miss the Old UO feel of pure fel. Thats why i started playing on a free server, UO Gamers Hybrid. It's the closest I get to that old adventurous feel.

You mean 9 year old kids that run around on horses in stupid colour armour Tongue

Hybrid through back the old UO but the past is the past !

Gottfried of Yew
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 12:34:08 am »

Stupid Color armor was the product of AOS bullcrap. i'm talking about the risk of going out of your house and mining four ore before running for your life back to your house. The past was the best. the present is a waste of 15 dollars.

Gottfried Aberforth,
Templar of the †Covian Church†,
Loyal servant of the Baron.
Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 04:02:26 am »

Then why play if its a waste? I don't get why people constantly moan about the state of the game then still play it.

Zoie Hayden
Dragoon
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 11:08:15 am »

Then why play if its a waste? I don't get why people constantly moan about the state of the game then still play it.

Agreed! Go away if you don't like it.

UO is still great, and I don't think guilds like BoC could survive in the old days. Imagine how annoying it'd be trying to do an RP event or patrol only to get mowed down and corpse camped by a team of reds. Then you get to spend all night replacing your uniform, yay!

We can do so much more now than we could 9 years ago. It's like wishing you were 15 years old again.

userjosh5368
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 11:12:48 am »

She has a valid point ! Like I said before, the good old times when macing dominated all and people couldn't run 100 screens etc, as there was no focus.

But its the future now everything gets, better or worse .

Its really just like are governments now, they try to do stuff to make the society better but really it turns out, to be worst to some people .

BASICALLY STOP MOANING !  Grin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 12:10:54 pm by Demarian Tel'var » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length