Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:53:03 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  RIP Robert Jordan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RIP Robert Jordan  (Read 3334 times)
Perrin
Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2007, 02:23:23 am »

I just thought you all should know, Robert Jordan passed away due to his battle with a rare blood disease earlier today. I found out while ready todays posts on UOforums.com

This is very sad news, I still have the sniffles. Cry

Edit: Additional information can be obtained at www.dragonmount.com. Sorry about the earlier links.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:22:46 am by Perrin » Logged

Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:45:35 am »

*COUGHS* Whos Robert Jordan?

Ileana Leontine
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 03:09:04 pm »

Fantasy author. Shame to see he died, but I can't say I ever thought much of his works. I struggled through the first book of the Wheel of Time and the parallels (and that's a kind term) to LOTR were so strong I actually entertained myself by mentally renaming the characters as their Rings equivalent.
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 04:32:12 pm »

WTF!?!?! He had one book left to write! The bastard! How will we found out how it ends now!?

Seriously though... D'oh.
qom_riyadh
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 04:44:12 pm »

WTF!?!?! He had one book left to write! The bastard! How will we found out how it ends now!?

Seriously though... D'oh.

One of the articles found under the provided address says about the future of WoT
Darath Mithar
Grunter Extrodinare
Cove Command
Covian Legend

*Grunts*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:22:01 pm »

I struggled through the first book of the Wheel of Time and the parallels (and that's a kind term) to LOTR were so strong I actually entertained myself by mentally renaming the characters as their Rings equivalent.

Aye read the book this summer and felt exactly the same.

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:40:35 pm »

Fantasy author. Shame to see he died, but I can't say I ever thought much of his works. I struggled through the first book of the Wheel of Time and the parallels (and that's a kind term) to LOTR were so strong I actually entertained myself by mentally renaming the characters as their Rings equivalent.

You don't have Matrim Cauthon in LotR. Nor do you have 500 nutcase wizards.
Ileana Leontine
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 06:44:16 pm »

I didn't say it was exactly the same...

Young hero is forced to flee his idyllic homeland after a quest is forced upon him and he must leave in order to protect all he loves.

Which book?
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 09:09:07 pm »

Young hero is forced to flee his idyllic homeland after a quest is forced upon him and he must leave in order to protect all he loves.

I think that's more or less the fantasy genre summed up nicely. You might even add Star Wars to the list.
Dalamar
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:36:14 pm »

Which book?
Almoust every book after Tolkiens work... and some even copy the exact story line just changing names.
My thoughts about books what I have readed...

Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 10:49:48 am »

Many fantasy authors, R. A. Salvatore (A favorite of mine) Will lcaim they got inspiration from Tolkien or Frank Hebert (SP. Wrote the Dune Saga), even LUCAS had inspiration from tolkein when writting Star Wars...  Unfortunate about the writter though.... Oh well bobs yer uncle and daisy's yer mum back to work you!

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Zoie Hayden
Dragoon
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 10:58:27 am »

I think that's more or less the fantasy genre summed up nicely. You might even add Star Wars to the list.

Agreed completely. That's a very loose, generalized plotline that's been used a million times. Tolkein didn't invent it. I loved the WoT series simply because it wasn't your usual fantasy setting, yet was still readable and coherant. I lost interest during the fourth book because my limited attention span couldn't follow the multitudes of different plots going on. But I do very much plan to re-read the series as it's still the best fantasy series I've read (LOTR included).

Farfar
Danger to Sobreity
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

Cuddly little drunkard.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 04:35:33 pm »

Quote from: Zoie Hayden
...But I do very much plan to re-read the series as it's still the best fantasy series I've read (LOTR included).

I wonder, have you read the series of the discworld, by Terry Pratchett?

Delcarakdur
One-handed and one-eyed Elf
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Mess with Delc and he will wack you with his stump

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 04:58:43 pm »

Rincewind the Wizard, FTW!! Grin

Octie:
This thread has reached the pinnacle of its usefulness. We've established Kas is a hippy. Thread locked.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length