Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:02:56 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Mass
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mass  (Read 2120 times)
Aelthas
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2005, 04:58:05 pm »

So tell me about mass. What do you like? What do you dislike?

In my view mass should be a serious matter IC and very strict like no chatting during a service. However of course I understand that for the player to sit there for half an hour doing nothing is of course boring for the guards that sit there and for the monks/templars that stand around.  That is why I think mass should involve more players rping.

An example is:-
We have a hymn. Everyone is singing. One guardsmen decides to be silly and sings in a high pitch voice. Suddenly the song stops and the templars grab the offended guardsman and lock him in a room.
Of course all sorts of RP can happen from this, especially amusing types such as today when noisey guards were locked in a room during mass then tried to break out.

My view is IC mass should be a serious matter but OOC we should all be having fun and laughing at the hysterics going on of noisey guardsmen running out of the church or singing hyms in high-pitched voices.
Gregor Eason
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 06:51:26 pm »

Heheh, that's an interesting thought. Yeh, stuff that gets us guardsmen involved. Although I do LOVE listening to Hugo rant on and on and on *grins*, it's nice to have a wake up like a group event (*cough* perhaps revolting against the system *cough).
Hymns, I like the sound of. Perhaps receiving the host? Or is that going a bit too far Smiley I know some people who are deeply religious can feel offended at times by a fantasy religion on a computer game, worshiping a fictional God. Heh.

Ooo, here's an idea. Perhaps each week we could have a guardsman come forth and speak the "Word of the Avatar". Like a segment of the Avatari Bible or something. Doesn't have to be too long or complicated.
Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 10:02:17 pm »

I know some people who are deeply religious can feel offended at times by a fantasy religion on a computer game, worshiping a fictional God. Heh.

Well those people are surely not obligated to attend mass if they are so easily offended.

Perhaps the one leading the service could bless all those citizens and millitia in attendance. Plenty of opportunity for rp there. Regardless I don't think i've attended one mass where at least one IC incident has occured so it's not like it's boring at present.

Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 01:35:35 am »

I think you need to beaf up the ceramony and hash out a little more of the theology.  I like the dark ages catholic-like feel to things as it is, cut-throat and crazy as it is, it makes things very intresting... but it seems a bit incompleat just yet.

We are soposed to take our hats off, which is a good start.  Maybe there is a priest at the door that does a blessing, or sanctafacation of some sort as the faithful enter.  I'd also noticed some make the sign of the aunk before the alter befor they take their seats, very nice RP.  Make it mandatory?  As far as singing... back then there wern't so much hyms as chants. 

What ever gobbly gook the Templar are allready jabbering, do like, a "repeat after me" thing with that, or even manatras of the Virutes they see us lacking in.

There are inconsistances that need fixing in the theology.  They started out saying "the Lord wills it," as in, judao-christian Lord with the capital L... then switched to the Avaitar, and calling him "lord" as a title.  Nice cover, Im guessing that was to put some distance tbetween any real world religons and this one which is very much pretend. 

Along that same vein, any refrences to hell in the strictest sense should realy be The Abyss.   I meen, this is UO there is the Abyss, thats their version of real world's "hell. "  Deamons come from the Abyss, necromancers draw power from the Abyss, it's allready a game stated instution.  I don't know what you'd want to call heaven, but I'm sure some thing like, if your holy and you die you'd: "Join the Avitar in his great hall with those faithful."  Almost Valhalla ish... alwayes did like Valhala.

We have enough elves or half elves roaming around that they could sneak off and have their own little Corellon/Eru worship behind the templars back... *shrugs* just a thought... please don't stone me.

I think the IC misbehavior started after the revolt.  They now have the courage to defy the templar, thankie Eason... Now we need re-broken.  The poisoned ale, if it was the church that did it, is a good first step.

*Earned Merit in The Kaldorian Line Campaign*
Gregor Eason
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 04:05:34 am »

*underminds the Church system*
Aelthas
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 01:44:20 pm »

I did search on stratics for some UO lore but to no avail.  Perhaps I missed it.
Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 04:41:56 pm »

*grins and pases some links*

http://uo.stratics.com/secrets/misc_v.shtml

That's a good starting page, but the History and Lore of to the side there has some good stuff too.

*Earned Merit in The Kaldorian Line Campaign*
Aelthas
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 05:23:15 pm »

What about the story of how Sosaria came to be? Involving the avatar coming from earth to Britannia etc.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length