Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 05:55:45 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Template Help...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Template Help...  (Read 8303 times)
Radek Wilkes
Yewish Sergeant
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 12:51:59 pm »

The stealth archer mage will just fail so hard.

...You can only have 700 skill points not 7000.

Rbl <3 Thf
Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 12:59:32 pm »

Interesting, given that you haven't got enough hiding to use stealth at all.

Incorrect. Hiding skill has nothing to do with ones ability to USE Stealth, but rather ones ability to train it. This means that you'll have to start out with adequate Hiding, train your stealth to the desired level, soulstone your hiding off, and buy 30.0 from a trainer.

You can train stealth and use it as long as hiding is at 30 or above. If hiding is below 30 you cant use it or train it. I just lock hiding at 30 and raise stealth further up to 80 (on my chars that it is in their personalities that they aint the best hiders but more focused on fighting) 30 Hiding is the bare minimum you need to have to stealth succesfully. (I do however not reccomend it for the more unexperienced pvpplayer)
Park Su-mi
Miniature Maniac
Kiran's Gang
Covian Regular

Park Su-mi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 05:01:00 pm »

Seems a little bit lame to me, I can't really imagine the RP justification for being a stealther that can't hide. Especially if you're relying on something like Shadow Strike.  Undecided

It's also a template that relies on getting, like, every moving shot off while they're disarmed which is a hard enough ask even fighting someone without a weapon in their hands, but imagine coming up against a parrier?

Then you have to factor in mages against whom you're just another archer. The 120 scrolls will help - but without the extra bump to tactics and anatomy your damage output isn't going to be as high as it should be. It's almost like a burst damage template (blasting them whilst disarmed) without the burst damage? =P

I was recently a stealth archer/fencer and I just found myself never using fencing. It was fun in theory and, as you suggest, disarm followed by some crossbow abuse is a good combo but a much more devastating style is just to simply concussion spam the fook out of someone with range with Meditation and Focus tickin' up your mana. Wink

Me'an Silen
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 05:33:48 pm »

ive managed to get it to work and i can use the mager spells and then arm up a bow and run around while waiting for mana, and i can use telliport to get to placed they cant get to me such as rooftops durring battle

Its a good temp and its fun its an ambush temp mainly for not 1v1 more for like a scout ambush or big battle

Radek Wilkes
Yewish Sergeant
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 05:45:20 pm »

Some people are delusioned that 120 = pro skill and results

When it's obviously simple the best pvp templates are the simple ones, and they rarely have 120 spam.

Edit - Obviously, people like Celv may be unkillable 1v1 or whatever, but his template isn't much use in group pvp Wink
Mind you, Celv's templates change every 20minutes so I have no idea which he is now.

Rbl <3 Thf
Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 06:13:22 pm »

Seems a little bit lame to me, I can't really imagine the RP justification for being a stealther that can't hide. Especially if you're relying on something like Shadow Strike.  Undecided

It's also a template that relies on getting, like, every moving shot off while they're disarmed which is a hard enough ask even fighting someone without a weapon in their hands, but imagine coming up against a parrier?

Then you have to factor in mages against whom you're just another archer. The 120 scrolls will help - but without the extra bump to tactics and anatomy your damage output isn't going to be as high as it should be. It's almost like a burst damage template (blasting them whilst disarmed) without the burst damage? =P

I was recently a stealth archer/fencer and I just found myself never using fencing. It was fun in theory and, as you suggest, disarm followed by some crossbow abuse is a good combo but a much more devastating style is just to simply concussion spam the fook out of someone with range with Meditation and Focus tickin' up your mana. Wink

I tend to like the more untraditional templates:) And that particular template is made to ambush people, disarm, bleed, moving shot...never failed me. And on the hiding note, when you can use hiding skill(pushing hiding macro) to hide...you usually have time to fail a few times...and when relying on shadowstrike for hiding in action packed situation...its no different then a char that has 100 hiding. And who's to say you cant play a character that aint great at hiding/stealthing...just adequate?

Some people are delusioned that 120 = pro skill and results

When it's obviously simple the best pvp templates are the simple ones, and they rarely have 120 spam.

Edit - Obviously, people like Celv may be unkillable 1v1 or whatever, but his template isn't much use in group pvp Wink
Mind you, Celv's templates change every 20minutes so I have no idea which he is now.

Its true you dont need 120 skills to have a good template, but it helps. Now Ive said it before, I dont like the traditional templates much. I try to have different templates (as much as individual guilds alow it within their ranks) so I can play differently then most people expect. My templates usually works well in groups and in solo. Currently Cel is a pure mage btw, and he is not unkillable 1v1, Hoagie killed me once:P

Also adding that ive played UO for 12 years soon (rping for 9) and the traditional templates bores me to death.

Kudos to Me'an for thinking out of the box Grin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 06:23:39 pm by Celuvian » Logged
Radek Wilkes
Yewish Sergeant
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 06:35:59 pm »

Heh, I was referring to your mace/mage template, where you had to take a day off work to pvp against you.

Rbl <3 Thf
Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 07:09:24 pm »

Heh, I was referring to your mace/mage template, where you had to take a day off work to pvp against you.

Thats a good and fun template. People should use it more. Many tactics at your disposal.
Radek Wilkes
Yewish Sergeant
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 08:16:40 pm »

It was utterly boring to fight against you/that template.

Rbl <3 Thf
Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 09:14:45 pm »

It was utterly boring to fight against you/that template.

Most people should love a challenge, not that I was a challenge, but you get what I mean. If people didnt experiement and try different templates out we would all be sitting here with a mace/parrier or stealth/archer or another very standard template, that would thoroughly put a nail in the rp community coffin at least for me. And dont say "Rp is so much more then pvp" I am very much aware of this, but pvp in rp is what draws most attention to it at this time.

Another fun template to play is:

120 fence
120 ninja
80 poison
100 heal
120 stealth
100 hide
80 medit

Not ideal for solo, but great in a group. Tried and tested.
Radek Wilkes
Yewish Sergeant
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 10:52:17 pm »

That's a more classic template.
Templates like that are fine, it's when two skills are combined that're lightyears apart, and they barely work.

@ The mace/mage template it wasn't a challenge, just utterly boring. Like chasing a vorpal bunny around the forest for an hour.

Rbl <3 Thf
Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 01:04:24 am »

That's a more classic template.
Templates like that are fine, it's when two skills are combined that're lightyears apart, and they barely work.

@ The mace/mage template it wasn't a challenge, just utterly boring. Like chasing a vorpal bunny around the forest for an hour.

Well I dont remember ever running from anyone on that template, except when I had 5 Yewians on my tail. And I dont see how it would be more boring then a stealth/archer template. I mean, what options does that have...concussion blow and mortal...whoopdedoo:P And I totaly disagree with you, two skills combined can make a much, much better template then one that does not. Mace/Mage for instance...unbeated template for the whole time I had it. Ive had lots of other dual and even triple combined templates and they worked great. I once had a mage/melee/poisoner...worked like a charm. Think more out of the box Dec:P
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:13:15 am by Celuvian » Logged
Radek Wilkes
Yewish Sergeant
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 10:05:39 am »

I do think out of the box, but you have to remember we're RPers also.

I'm not disputing that your templates arn't fun, just not fun to fight against. Ever lasting fights outside an arena, etc.

I've toyed with templates like that, but never found the RP appeal/pvp need to try them.

Rbl <3 Thf
Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 12:16:57 pm »

Fights that lasts long are fun in my opinion, better feeling when someone actually wins. Short fights are boring...cause that just means someone was much weaker. Fights that are evenly matched lasts a while. (usually)
But I think we have different opinions in this matter.
Radek Wilkes
Yewish Sergeant
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 12:42:09 pm »

Indeed, I don't mind long fights.
Just any fight I had against you usually ended up in running from Minoc to Cove, or Trinsic to Britain, with one of us getting bored and just wandering off.

-Which is how I remember your templates. Tongue

Rbl <3 Thf
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length