Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:40:58 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Changes to the Goblin & WHY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Changes to the Goblin & WHY  (Read 5334 times)
Kelly Sanderson
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

By Jove and Sheeshy McGee!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 11:45:04 am »

Courtesy and Pre-Planning

The only thing concerning me about the Goblin is this lack of actual barstaff now. I do think more communication should have taken place with this. Even I was just told "We are doing this" with a sort of lack of detail so to speak. I can see why folk did get a little aggravated, as their entire priority was the Tavern, and they log on to see three entirely new figures "tampering" with it. Nomatter what the outcome (positive or negative), people need to remember to respect others within the guild.

Railen and Mizuho spent a long time doing things for that tavern, and this needs to be kept in mind. When something raises so much concern and makes two members feel they need to leave, we cannot ignore that there must be a problem somewhere down the line on the do-ers part. This is not saying that you three have done the wrong thing, but I must say you need to communicate with others who are involved a bit more before just diving in head first and going full steam ahead. That way, no-one will complain as you've proposed it prior to doing it. This is just a thing to consider in the future, because such massive changes really do need to be made clear to everyone before they take place.

I've told you I like the place, I really do. That doesn't change the fact it could have been communicated a lot more to others before carrying out the re-vamp.

In contrast, if members are ever concerned about something they see being done, then speak up. Don't wait until its actually done (if possible) to stand up and decide you disagree. Chances are by then nothing can be done to help your concerns.

Context
In future re-builds, a recollection of building of plots would be ideal. We do this for most major buildings, yet the Goblin was just done. That was it. What was the reason for those particular three building it? What inspired them to do it? What is Kieran's attachment to the building? These questions and more need to be considered perhaps before building for the sake of building.

Guardsmen Characters

I admit this looks a bit shabby to walk into the tavern and see any guardsmen serving drinks at the tavern. Their job if any should be doing guardsman duties. If guardsmen feel they desperately want to serve drinks to folk, players should seriously consider changing their titles to a Citizen one. Also let me clarify being off-duty includes this too. If you're off-duty you drink the drinks, not serve them surely?

There's just some constructive criticism for folk to consider. This doesn't just refer to the three who built the place, but it's also for any members of the Baronship who encounter a situation like this in the future.

Yet again good luck pushing it forward. I will support in any way I can.

-Rach/Kelly

John Dell:
My ultimate aim is to nag someone to the brink of total blindness and hate that they kill me.

John Dell:
It's for me like for you and pies; if one is staring you in the face you just can't leave it alone.
Raven
Highlander
Baron's Own Grenadier
Covian Legend

The Highlander

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 12:46:54 pm »

Guardsmen Characters

I admit this looks a bit shabby to walk into the tavern and see any guardsmen serving drinks at the tavern. Their job if any should be doing guardsman duties. If guardsmen feel they desperately want to serve drinks to folk, players should seriously consider changing their titles to a Citizen one. Also let me clarify being off-duty includes this too. If you're off-duty you drink the drinks, not serve them surely?

I disagree. I would have thought it's perfectly okay for someone to roleplay their guard however they want? It could be seen as a part time job for extra money, or their bit of community service. I can't see any reason why a guard can't do some functions the citizenry do.

⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ Order of Distinction ⚔ Border Wars ⚔ Trinsic Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

[22:37] Hoagie: I think Raven would make a hot girl
[01:57] XxwarbringerxX: Raven would indeed make a hot chick.
Kelly Sanderson
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

By Jove and Sheeshy McGee!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 02:41:51 pm »

Surely they should be spending any of their "free time" (in which they also want to work) defending Cove? I know that Kelly would disagree with any of the Guardsmen tending a bar instead of doing their real job.

John Dell:
My ultimate aim is to nag someone to the brink of total blindness and hate that they kill me.

John Dell:
It's for me like for you and pies; if one is staring you in the face you just can't leave it alone.
Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 03:01:47 pm »

Guardsmen Characters

I disagree. I would have thought it's perfectly okay for someone to roleplay their guard however they want? It could be seen as a part time job for extra money, or their bit of community service. I can't see any reason why a guard can't do some functions the citizenry do.

I don't think Kelly's trying to tell people how to roleplay their guardsmen. However you also have to appreciate that the Covian army has been professional for about three and a half years now and is no longer a militia where guardsman are going to have plenty of off duty time on their hands.

I think it's pretty much common sense that full time barstaff will be required with the Green Goblin actually being a self sustaining business and due to the fact that guardsmen can't run the bar while they're off on patrol or on duty elsewhere.

One of the reasons the Goblin has been such a great success and quite possibly been the best and certainly most active tavern on the entire shard this year is the fact that it had a dedicated team of staff, which was active and who's primary purpose was to run the tavern.

That's something that is going to be hard to achieve by using off duty guardsmen and even alternative bar staff characters alone.

I also agree with Kelly that in IC terms if a guardsman has been slogging his guts out from 6 in the morning to 10 at night he probably wants to do the drinking rather than the serving in the vast majority of cases.

The lay out and decor is pretty neat and I hope that we can get the place running smoothly once again.

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Jassi Cowin
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

I'm a pepper!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 03:47:17 pm »

I agree with both Kelly and Raiden and I am going to speak up about it as it has me cringing and I need to get it off my chest... I don't really like the new goblin design, I admit it, no offense to anyone.. The roof looks too small, and just doesn't stand out, present it first before changing any of the major plots we use when roleplaying..the same tile was used on each floor, should try to fluff it out a bit.. I also agree with a guardsmen should not be serving drinks or running a tavern, it has been causing IC problems for my character as well, I have not been as active in BoC because of it, and I was actually visiting other taverns rather than the Goblin.. It just, didn't feel right.. The Goblin staff went through major changes with a major new design just right out of the blue, it happened quickly, without any plot or story behind it.. To me, it was bad roleplaying.. What I would have done is made a new character, and it would have been the Barons job as it is his land, and he would have had selected the new Goblin owner(the character that the new owner makes.) Then something would have had to happen to the goblin which would have given it a new design..

Usually I get on test center and come up with a design and present it first before making any major changes to any of the major plots used for RP.

We also need events for the tavern.. Edward was always in contact with other tavern owners and trading companies, he was always inviting them to the goblin and having special nights, should perhaps get OOC contact with other tavern owners if you don't know who they are, get to know them OOC and IC, set up competitions events between all the taverns across the shard, get it active..

If one of my characters walks into a empty tavern, to find nothing, I am going to leave and move onto the Rose, or w/e else there is. This is why I also suggest bringing back a NPC, I know that Kal does not want to. But I think it would be a good idea, to keep people from going to other taverns when noone is on to serve them.. We want to keep Covians inside a Covian tavern.. One of the main reasons as far as I know, why there was a NPC before, was because Cove has no offical NPC tavern, Vesper, Minoc, Skara Brae, Britain, Trinsic and other towns have built in pubs as it is.. So if there is noone ever in Vesper, there is a pub not that far away..

Like I said though, it is a suggestion that should be considered and not thrown off the table.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:00:54 pm by Jassi Cowin » Logged

Sash Contains:
Ribbon of Activity
Order of Distinction

Mentoring:

Faden
Life is a challenge
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

o[xxx]:::::;;;;;;>

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 04:02:45 pm »

I know that when people put time into something and then people don't like it, it feels like a personal attack. I understand Ravens, Kellys, Raiden's and Jassi's points.

I thought that before a tavern was changed a plto would be created, such as a fire or flood. Then the community band together and collect resources to rebuild it, just like we did with the forge and loom. Anyway is too late for this. If people are unhappy with the design should they be posting here, or speaking to Kal or asking command. Do all the tavern, church, barracks designs etc controlled by the actual person who owns the plot or is it a community decision?

As a community perhaps we could decide on some things for the Goblin, design and suggestions etc and then make a poll?

If we did this it would keep the peace and everyone happy?

At this present time my only issue of the Goblin was lack of seating downstairs but I haven't been in for a few days so maybe its changed. Out of all the tavern designs I've seen nothing beat the Swaggers and then the tavern in Spiritwood.

Jassi Cowin
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

I'm a pepper!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 04:09:09 pm »

At this present time my only issue of the Goblin was lack of seating downstairs but I haven't been in for a few days so maybe its changed. Out of all the tavern designs I've seen nothing beat the Swaggers and then the tavern in Spiritwood.

I feel that a tavern should have a VERY big bar area, Swaggers currently has the biggest bar area on the shard as far as I am aware of and they have the most seating..

Sash Contains:
Ribbon of Activity
Order of Distinction

Mentoring:

Faden
Life is a challenge
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

o[xxx]:::::;;;;;;>

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 04:28:50 pm »

Trinsic have a large seating area too. Its all about the little quirky bits laying around that give any house a warm-living feeling.

Kal/Mathew
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 03:45:32 am »

For one we are not Swaggers or Trinsic, We are cove.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length