Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 11:09:45 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  The age of elves...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The age of elves...  (Read 4208 times)
Delcarakdur
One-handed and one-eyed Elf
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Mess with Delc and he will wack you with his stump

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2005, 09:29:38 am »

Calico wrote:
Quite honestly I'd be upset if any elf didn't woship Corllon, or Eru.  As far as gods go, the elves really have the best deal.  However some one that is sevral hundread years old should have developed the tact and social grace to avoid getting them selves hung.

Your an elf, you are so above them all.  Don't lessen yourself with squabbling.  Be polite, and respectful even if they don't desirve it, and if it really rubs you so the wrong way.... is it worth your immortal life to stay in Cove and risk death?  You will live another thousand years, and in that time you will have the satafaction of watching these foul men die a slow death.

Brings to mind the question; whats an elf doing in Cove any way... muddy ugglie back watter edenea village. *turns her nose up*

Elves don't die from aging right? Therefore I am still a very young elf, the human mental age equalient would be 16 years or so... Young elves like delcarakdur are rash and impetious, therefore they dare what other elves don't consider doing. In other words calico, I haven't yet aquiered the necessairy wisdom to act politly towards non-elves and especcially people who doesn't allow me my culture...

Octie:
This thread has reached the pinnacle of its usefulness. We've established Kas is a hippy. Thread locked.
Lothar
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 10:57:18 am »

We can't say that Elves don't die... This is because there are two systems that people base their elf characters on.

D&D and Tolkien

In Tolkien's universe elves are immortal and cannot die from age, though they can be killed.
In D&D elves become something about 500 years or so.

If everyone just played "elves" it would be much more simple, but since there are also people playing "Drows" it is kinda hard to find out which system to base it on. Also with religion and such. I guess that when the new expansion comes, it will become even more mixed up and wierd... So my advice, play your elf like you want, all that actually matters is that he is an elf. Then he can be arrogant or kind or evil or whatsoever. Just like humans Smiley

Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 11:32:34 am »

The elves I go by mature at about 120 and live to 500 or so. That is from Forgotten Realms, incidentally the fantasy setting which first created the drow race. Though please don't get me started on Drow in UO, they are played so terribly it makes me cringe to rp with them. Drows by nature would attack any other race than themselves or possibly a few other select Underhive races and would not stop until their target was either dead or enslaved. To see them strolling aimlessly down the streets of Trinsic in broad daylight (another funny thing since Drow take decades to adjust to sunlight without being utterly blinded) waving to their human (and elf) friends frankly annoys me. Perhaps I just love Faerun too much.

Elves don't sleep either, they go into a trance and only need about half as much "trance time" as humans need sleep time to be refreshed.

Delcarakdur
One-handed and one-eyed Elf
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Mess with Delc and he will wack you with his stump

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 11:44:53 am »

I know both D&D and Tolkien. But I have chosen not to rely on the D&D concept of elves but the Tolkien conscept... As Grimjack said, elves mature around 120 years, but the elves in Tolkiens adventures are often a lot older before being considered adults...

So my advice, play your elf like you want, all that actually matters is that he is an elf. Then he can be arrogant or kind or evil or whatsoever. Just like humans 

Basically, as Lothar said, it's up to the individual player to adhere to whatever fantasy game or mythology he found the notion of elves from.

Drows, are just elves exiled by the other elves a long time ago. Therefore they had to live underground, and that's why they are blinded by strong light, have dark skin and white hair. I agree with grimjack on the aspect of drow and humans/elves being friends. Most humans and elves attack drow on sight, and the drow do likewise. It's just annoying and very unRPish for drow to be frinds with humans and especially elves.

Octie:
This thread has reached the pinnacle of its usefulness. We've established Kas is a hippy. Thread locked.
Lothar
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 02:32:28 pm »

There are so many: "I am the good drow! Not like my brethren!"-drows these days that it's almost heartbreaking  Embarrassed

Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 03:02:02 pm »

Yea it's all cause of Drizzt Do'Urden, the one character from the FR novels I really do hate, not because of his actual traits but because of what impact he has left on the fantasy world. Just because one drow (with the added influence of a greater deity I might add) somehow manages to escape the darker side of his blood, suddenly a million other "good" drow appear, waving their twin scimitars and making friends with humanoids. Sorry no. Not good enough.

John Dell
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 03:17:55 pm »

Whata hell is a drow anyway? Huh

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

Oct sayeth  (19:47):
We need more Swedes.
Oct sayeth  (19:47):
"I was stabbed."
Oct sayeth (19:47):
"But I will hold this in and carry on."

First Story       --->      Smiley
Second story --->      Undecided
Third Story     --->     Sad
Lothar
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 04:32:40 pm »

Two words: Evil Being

It is no longer than that! They are elves that have been exiled to live beneath the earth because of their evil traits, they are vey vengeful and it is a society where women have the power. No man can speak up to a woman down there. Drows raid the surface to make sacrifices for their god, Lloth or whatever, and to pillage and kill. For the fun of it.

So they are two words: Evil Beings!

Klion
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 06:13:54 pm »

Couple of points -

* Drow SOCIETY is what makes them 'evil' thus it's plausible a Drow raised by Humans for example could be 'good'.

* Llothian Drow are matriarchal, but those that folow Vaherun (sp) are patriarchal.

* It would be poor form for ever Elf to follow their 'own' fantasy and genre.. it's just silly.

Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 07:06:25 pm »

I disagree, society plays a large part in the manner by which drow's evil nature is depicted but they are an evil race. The evil runs in their blood, an age old curse. Just like the way you wouldn't find a good aligned demon, you wouldn't find a good aligned drow. My opinion anyway.

Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 10:07:34 pm »

I don't think there will be any problem when the Sosarian elves show up.  What's stated in your profile is the "type" of elf you are, and you play accordingly.

If your playing say... D&D/ForgotneRealms moon elf you worship Corellon Larethian, mature around 100/120 and live 500 or so years.

If you play a  Tolkien noldor elf you live for ever -unless your killed- and worship Eru.  I've alwayes assumed that they mature around 200 but I could be wrong on that.

Same basic idea goes for what ever bizar Sosarian elves they cook up....

~~~~~

Dosen't matter who or what kinda elf you are, your all using TGC's language books.  *smirks*  It's not even elvish... it's called "Grelvish" by Tokien experts, and they hate it.  It's a slurr of "Grey Elvish"  The Grey Company elves took Sindrayan and Quinya and smashed them together and added to the mix liberaly with our own words to make a functunal useful elven language for role play purposes.  Not that any one cares.. just felt like sharing.

~~~

Del, I looked at the situation ojbectivly with an elven veiw point.  Baised on how elves act and are soposed to act according to diffrent books.  It says over and over in Elven source books that elves would jsut as soon watch their adversarys grow old and die as kill them on the spot.  I wasn't trying to tell you how to play him, sort of pointing out how an older elf would look at it and some questions they might ask him about his choices.  Young elves are definatly more foolhardy, especialy if they aren't being properly raised around with and by other elves.

Grimjack, it's called Reverie.  As an elf reveries they relive parts of their lives.  That is how they can live for so long and not lose a sense of who they are.  They are continualy re-living their lives and who and what they are, keeping them grounded, and sane and secure in their elfenness.  That is also why elves arn't really big on conflict and why horrible things affect them so.  They re-live the horrors in their reverie along with the good things.  'Thats why elven warriors are so stoic.  They fight to protect others from having to live through the nightmares of war and from re-living them every night.

Reverie is a blessing and a curse, it keeps them from going mad from to much battle, and at the same time, they can not forget it ever.

If they don't reverie.. they go insane.

~~~~

The bigest thing that bothers me is that people try to rp and elf.. any kind of elf, be it Drow or other wise... with out having a blooming clue how to go about it.  They say they are a "nice drow" or they scamper around playing a human friendly Sylvan elf.  Drow are EVIL.  Wood elves are RECLUSIVE.

What ever kind of elf you are you'd damned well better be able to answer me when I say "Sut na lle?"  or I will condem you to one of the nine circles of the Abyss.

P.S.
Just re-read that and realize how cocky I sound... Try to forgive, I've been wirtting elves exclussivly for five years now, playing with TGC, diggin in every source book to be had, and reading the novles Tolkien, Salvatore and otherwise. Not that my opinion is any more valid, or that I'm any sort of expert....  I've just spent a lot of time with them and I'm passionate about the fae thigns.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 10:28:58 pm by Calico » Logged

*Earned Merit in The Kaldorian Line Campaign*
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 10:05:18 am »

Khaelieth is a noldo, looks pretty much down on humans, but tries to hide it. He's smart enough not to piss the Church of Cove, unlike others *coughs*  Grin He's older than Delcarakdur though
Joey Lanai
Dragoon Squad Leader
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

........=IIII=........

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 11:15:08 am »

The way i see it you shouldnt play a character to close to any kind of stereotype, just because another game says an elf acts that way doesnt necisarily mean you have to play your character that way.

How old is Arc? no-one knows ! that's the beauty of it, and he's only a half breed  Cheesy there's no whining.

Play your character as you see fit, and quit sqaubbling, thats what i think  Grin
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 11:17:00 am by Arc » Logged

Kal/Mathew
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 05:19:38 pm »

I have all the AD&D book Mate for I am a DM in AD&D and the Elven race live to 700 + . If you need any info on the Elven Race jess send me a Pigeon and I will do what I can to answer any Question ye have.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 05:22:42 pm by Kal Shadowhand » Logged

Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 07:14:19 pm »

Depends on wich edition your playing Kal Tongue

*Earned Merit in The Kaldorian Line Campaign*
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »