Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:22:11 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Guardsman Boards
| |-+  Grenadier Board (Moderators: Marcus Kobra, Linaeus)
| | |-+  Grenadier ideas thread!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Grenadier ideas thread!  (Read 47301 times)
Octiovus
Grandmaster tyrant.
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2006, 01:52:25 am »

Have an idea or concept you'd like to see implemented within the Grenadiers? This is the thread to do it in! All ideas will be considered, regardless of whether a member is a Grenadier or not. New ideas regarding the squad shall also be posted here.

Vince Valentine BoC (01:26) :
Don't mock me! I get 10% discount at tescos!
userjosh5368
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 05:55:54 pm »

Well we are the Baron's guard and elite of cove maybe we should become slightly more hard of Disiplin factor's Kind of suck's but as elite we have to set example give the other squads a run for there money ay.
Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 10:36:11 am »

Discipline and Brotherhood are the core values I based the Grenadiers on during my Sergeantship (Loyalty requires the Baron to be around or give missions)

Brotherhood:
Never strike at a fellow Grenadier if it can be avoided. That includes 'Free-for-all fights'. Some claim it is 'dishonorable' but that's not the goal. The goal is to display a Squad with so closely knit ties they wouldn't even think about striking at a Brother. Furthermore it serves as an example to the others that staying together as one makes a lot of difference.

When in battle and two Guardsmen are wounded, you heal the Grenadier.

Discipline:

Grenadiers are envisionned to be the uber disciplined warriors. If you want to persue your own glory or display your own battle prowess I suggest a career in the Dragoons.

* More so then any other guard they make a special effort to pay attention to orders. Even in the thickest of battle with monsters, guards and text spewing rapidly on the screen a Grenadier only needs to hear an order once and he'll act on it. That's because he watches for them like a hawk!

* A Grenadier is a lifeline for the other guardsmen. How he does it, is unknown, but whenever you're in trouble you can always count on the Grenadier to heal you like a madman. He's also one of those who can jump in with a 'close wounds' that saves your life. This gathers lots of respect from his fellow guardsmen

* Having a full guardsman kit is a matter of honor for a Grenadier. He always has one or more torches, a parade arm and a bedroll on him

* A Grenadier is always prepared. As such other, less prepared guardsmen can always go to him for spare bandages, arrows or nightsight potions. My standard kit is 1000 bandages, 500 arrows and bolts and 10-20 nightsight potions. And it's not uncommun to hand out nearly all of that during a hunt.

* A Grenadier assists leaders of hunts by minimising guildchat, actively roleplaying through speech/emotes and making sure the other guardsmen obey the event-leader.

* A Grenadier can perfect his arsenal of abilities by advancing himself in the Virtues of Honor and Sacrifice. Sacrifice will allow you to ressurect yourself in a remote location and Honor will stop new monsters from targetting you for 20 seconds. Both Virtues will allow you to 'save the day' in a hunt that has gone wrong.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:56:41 am by Erik Arkay » Logged

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 12:13:58 pm »

I think Erik has covered a lot of what I envisage in a Grenadier very eloquently.

Raiden has always been a little standoffish to other guardsmen but he comes alive in the company of other Grenadiers and would do anything for his brothers. That said he will always have a word of advice for recruits as well as spare bandies and bedroll.

I like the idea of not downing a fellow Grenadier in training situations and following the paths of honour and sacrifice are something i will look into asap and perhaps the Grenadiers could follow these paths as a unit in game.

I havent had chance to think a great deal about ideas but i will Wink

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Octiovus
Grandmaster tyrant.
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 01:15:02 am »

Brotherhood:
Never strike at a fellow Grenadier if it can be avoided. That includes 'Free-for-all fights'. Some claim it is 'dishonorable' but that's not the goal. The goal is to display a Squad with so closely knit ties they wouldn't even think about striking at a Brother. Furthermore it serves as an example to the others that staying together as one makes a lot of difference.

When in battle and two Guardsmen are wounded, you heal the Grenadier.

In addition to this, I'd like to add:

If someone strikes a fellow brother or one of the Richter family, they strike you too. If you pick a fight with one Grenadier, you pick a fight with all of them.

Discipline:

Grenadiers are envisionned to be the uber disciplined warriors. If you want to persue your own glory or display your own battle prowess I suggest a career in the Dragoons.

* More so then any other guard they make a special effort to pay attention to orders. Even in the thickest of battle with monsters, guards and text spewing rapidly on the screen a Grenadier only needs to hear an order once and he'll act on it. That's because he watches for them like a hawk!

* A Grenadier is a lifeline for the other guardsmen. How he does it, is unknown, but whenever you're in trouble you can always count on the Grenadier to heal you like a madman. He's also one of those who can jump in with a 'close wounds' that saves your life. This gathers lots of respect from his fellow guardsmen

* Having a full guardsman kit is a matter of honor for a Grenadier. He always has one or more torches, a parade arm and a bedroll on him

* A Grenadier is always prepared. As such other, less prepared guardsmen can always go to him for spare bandages, arrows or nightsight potions. My standard kit is 1000 bandages, 500 arrows and bolts and 10-20 nightsight potions. And it's not uncommun to hand out nearly all of that during a hunt.

* A Grenadier assists leaders of hunts by minimising guildchat, actively roleplaying through speech/emotes and making sure the other guardsmen obey the event-leader.

* A Grenadier can perfect his arsenal of abilities by advancing himself in the Virtues of Honor and Sacrifice. Sacrifice will allow you to ressurect yourself in a remote location and Honor will stop new monsters from targetting you for 20 seconds. Both Virtues will allow you to 'save the day' in a hunt that has gone wrong.

I heartily agree on all counts.

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:13:00 pm »

I totally agree with everything in this thread - the whole close knit brotherhood and discipline etc. is just what us Grenadiers is all about. *grins*

I  just cant bring myself to call my fellow Grenadiers "brother"... it sounds like we're a bunch of churchies! I have tried shortening it to bro' once or twice but then i dont know if i sound like a medieval surf dood!

Dunno what my brother Grenadiers think???

Maybe it's just me feeling uncomfortable with it???

Maybe we can come up with something else???

What do you think???

p.s. I think the unit has a real feel good factor about it at the mo... the future looks bright for the Baron's Own i think *winks*.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 09:14:36 pm by Raiden Morana » Logged

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Octiovus
Grandmaster tyrant.
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 10:09:04 pm »

I have to agree with this!

Using brother does sound rather like we're some sort of religious cult. I'm sure we could find something more fitting.

Vince Valentine
Cove Command
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Carl Hammond - Detective

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 07:57:02 am »

I kind of like the whole brother thing, but can see your point about it sounding a little religious. 'Bro' definitly wouldn't be any better, so something new is the way to go i think. I'll have a little brainstorm, see if i can come up with anything.
Also, I agree with Raiden about there being a good vibe in the grenadiers at the moment. Let's keep it up folks!

userjosh5368
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 11:33:00 am »

I agree even though i kinda started the brother thing though i find it alrite.... Grin Or as we are all Grenadier's address them by their names or something like that maybe ...
Aye tis a master peice fellow Grenadier or you most likely get the drift of things.

Though the brother thing gives it a medieval asset as back in them day's there were many royalty squad's that were cult like mainly the Japanese but there were other's as well.

I got the brother aspect from something called warhammer 40'000 the brother aspect came from the space marine which are the elite of the emperor they are all part of a brotherhood with different chapter's.

I think by this it made a strong concept on the Grenadier squad to stick together as a family and not just friend's.
But it's up to you i am only a mear voice your choice you don't like the Brother thing you don't have to use it as such many other term's and words that can replace brother Smiley
userjosh5368
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:39:20 am »

Just to add another thing i was thinking of a moto for the Grenadier's and my one for Vlad fit's the disciption perfectly i find...

Sword's first heart's second....Duty before feeling's which is what the Grenadier's is about, are loyalty is surpeme to the baron and the Ritcher Family and other matter's of love and loyalty is disregarded in the aspet of involing the Baron.
Max O Munpain
Covian Guardsman
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 03:16:11 pm »

As a player who spent a long time playing a Besieger i would have no problem with brother and sister for my fellow division members (should i eventually get in Smiley ) however this is the Grenadiers not the Besiegers - would  be nice to be a little different i think Smiley
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:19:39 pm by Max O Munpain » Logged

You'll meet my Mace before my Emotions!
Veldrin
An Old Flower
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 03:56:39 pm »

I agree with Erik's idea about being fully stocked for the sake of other Guildmembers.

While I do like the Brotherhood idea, I feel this said brotherly love should be more unspoken and made more evident in actions than words, though calling each other "brother" or "sister" can still be done occasionally. I would venture that constantly calling each other "brother" might make the idea become tiresome and superficial. I think it would be better in most cases to use each other's names, and use "brother" or "sister" when the context feels right.

(I'm totally nitpicky.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:59:17 pm by Veldrin » Logged

[03:19:28] Shadwell (BoC): We should get married.
[03:19:50] Shadwell (BoC): And dont quote me in your sig
                                  -----
[01:17:32] Tiberius Oct: I blamed Americans.
[01:17:58] Tiberius Oct: Then we chuckled and went back to eating crumpets and colonizing developing nations.
Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 04:11:03 pm »

Something which I admire about the Dragoons (did i just say that Tongue) is that they fight in pairs, i don't know for sure but i guess they will train in those pairs too and when it comes to combat and they go galivanting off, each partner knows what is expected of them.

I don't want to steal this concept in anyway Dragoons have their fighting style and as Grenadiers i believe we should have ours. But as our unit grows i think that it is important especially in vital battles that each Grenadier knows his task in any situation.

So to me having a "shield brother" or "sword brother" is a great concept. (Gah! that brother thing again... but shield & sword brothers sounds kinda cool Wink)

Of course we are a mixed unit but archers have their fighting style and melee fighters theirs so for instance Vince and Darek (your an archer right?) could work closely with eachother, adapt to eachothers styles and learn to compliment eachother in combat situations and the same goes for Vlad and me (although i think that it is only fair that when Kendall passes her trials Raiden and her work more closely while Vlad could be paired with his apprentice Max when he joins our ranks Cheesy)

Or maybe we are paired one archer one melee fighter?

Anyways just an idea - whatta ya think?

Vince Valentine
Cove Command
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Carl Hammond - Detective

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 04:54:41 pm »

I think Raidens idea would work, perhaps if we limited it to when the situation called for it. Obviously this is the Dragoons way, we've all seen Vinny and th' Joe storm into a horde of enemies, competing to see who can take down the most.Ii think this should be seen as a Dragoon trait, as I see it as something of a trademark of theirs, and i wouldn't want to take away from that.
Perhaps if we had an order whereby say we were fighting something that was near impossible to stand toe to toe with, an ancient wyrm for instance. This order would be yelled, and we'd each have a designated partner to break off with to skirmish it.
Another upside, this could be another aspect of Grenadier training sessions.

Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 05:53:46 pm »

I'd focus the Grenadiers about obeying orders, staying in formation, healing, in short: being examples to the other guardsmen! It may not be the most 'effective' in RPvP but when done well it's valuable in being the cement that holds the army together. You can't all be skirmishers to have an effective army. And the men need an example that obeying orders and fighting in close formation does bring advantages!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:34:29 am by Erik Arkay » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length